Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

fart simpson posted:

alita was incredibly mediocre

alita was good, my friend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Hollismason posted:

Like seriously what director goes " Yeah everyone has flat screens now, 4:3 is the ratio that Imma go with". Whole movie is trash because of that.

from what I know the movie was originally shot in that aspect ratio with Imax screens in mind, and the 2017 release cropped large portions of the screen to make it widescreen (and also lovely-looking).
so when releasing a new cut of the film it came down to either cropping the image again, reshooting EVERY SINGLE SCENE from scratch in widescreen, or just working with the 4:3 aspect ratio even though nobody in their right mind is going to an Imax in 2021.
it's the most sensible solution and really not that big a deal tbqh

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Okay, so I enjoyed this movie a lot more than I expected to. It had some rough edges but it was a very satisfying and entertaining superhero story with a lot of really great moments of empathy and humanization that caught me off guard.

but good god, please just fire Jared Leto already. I'm begging you. He's soooo bad.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Miss Lonelyhearts posted:

why does Cyborg murder his family inside of them to accept himself?

are you seriously asking what the symbolism is behind a sinister voice offering to "fix" the hero's life and showing them an illusion of a happier time before they lost the people close to them, and then the hero responding by tearing apart the illusion and saying "I'm not broken"
is that too subtle

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

One thing I really loved was how visually creative they got with showing how fast Flash is. They didn’t just settle for doing the quicksilver slowmo thing but they also had these really great and flashy shots of him zipping and bouncing around with the camera struggling to keep up with him. I respect the fact that Snyder’s movies have CGI schlock that has some real expressiveness and impact to it rather than just kinda blurring together like most other CGI schlock does.

Jimbot posted:

The first time Martian Manhunter shows is one of the film's few fumbles, in my opinion. But the second time, just treat it like you would a mid-credit stinger in a Marvel film, but has the courtesy of just being in the epilogue.

The worst part of any half-decent superhero movie is always the sequel-bait breadcrumbs they toss into the middle of the movies that have nothing to do with the rest of the plot. Doubly so when it’s a sequel that probably won’t ever happen. Or at least I don’t think it will? Who the gently caress knows how WB will treat this film in regards to “canon”

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Lord Krangdar posted:

The second time Martian Manhunter shows up it fits the story and themes well, and not just as a tease for a sequel that will never come. It fits Batman's overall arc, from paranoid loner to trusting leader. He goes from only working alone (with Alfred) and distrusting Superman, to forming the Justice League, to immediately accepting Diana's mention of needing room for more members, and finally he has changed so much that he is willing to immediately trust Martian Manhunter when he shows up. Then in the future he is apparently even willing to work with the Joker.

Yeah I was fine with that moment, it was the earlier one where it undercuts an otherwise touching character moment that was kinda dumb

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

abraham linksys posted:

is there any kind of making-of doc out there for this thing? i'm really curious, now that i've seen the whedon cut and realized how they reshot the entire loving movie when snyder left, how much they actually had to do for the snyder cut reshoots over the past year or two. i could totally believe they just dropped $70 million on finishing cgi or something, but i assume it's more than that

gimmie the 2017 snyder workprint you cowards i need the rest of this story

The 12-hour Snyder Doc :getin:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

2house2fly posted:

It was a bit of a weakness that the climax largely involved slaying a bunch of demon monsters like video game mobs-stuff like that always lets down the Avengers movies. Man Of Steel and BvS were great partly because it all boiled down to big one-on-one fights, and they're cool symbolically like the God of Hope battling the God Of Despair in MoS, or Doomsday's incarnation as an evil version of the Superman statue, Lex spends the whole movie trying to convince the world Superman is evil and at the end he gives this malign fiction a physical form. In this film, the villains are evil bug men.

It's a very satisfying movie but I don't think it'll stick with me like its predecessors did. There's a reason everyone likes Empire Strikes Back the best!

Swatting away bug dudes was whatever but the added scenes for Steppenwolf made me really like him as an antagonist. He had a strong presence throughout the movie and felt you got a real sense of how driven he was to redeem himself in Darkseid’s eyes, to the point that I kinda felt bad for him. The movie is all about the heroes being shackled by the past and Steppenwolf is a good parallel to that.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Aquaman chugging a beer and throwing it on the ground like “hell yeah bro” was one of those amazingly stupid scenes from the Whedon cut that had become iconic to me and my jaw loving hit the floor when I recognized the beginning of that shot in the Snyder cut but with more somber music in the background and realized what they were doing. Film editing is loving wizardry

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

Those 2 amazons holding up the last door in the motherbox tomb had loving glorious abs, I think I'm into abs now.

let it never be said that Zack Snyder’s movies haven’t changed the world for the better

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Thor’s actually about a young heir who wants the throne too much and is forced into exile as a result of his arrogance and short-sightedness

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

release the mullet cut

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

stuff like the Anti-Life Equation is so weird and cool conceptually and it's great seeing a movie where that isn't tossed aside for being "too comic booky" like Thanos wanting to marry Death.

Augus fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Mar 19, 2021

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Its Chocolate posted:

oh my god he just swung a group of horses and riders around like it was a bag of oranges. this rules

:hellyeah:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I can confirm that the black suit does indeed look cool

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I think the streaming format was perfect for this kind of film (even though it would’ve looked great on a big screen) with the chapter divisions providing natural points to pause the movie, grab a snack, take a piss, whatever. It felt more like watching a well-paced mini-series rather than an overly long movie.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The “dad issues” thing is a theme of the movie, the characters are all being shackled by their past in some way or another and the movie is about overcoming that and moving forward.

I’m surprised to see people saying the movie had coherency problems though. Besides the stuff that’s just in there to tease future extended universe shenanigans and is deliberately obtuse for that purpose, the movie is pretty solidly plotted and every major development is set up and explained properly. Things that initially don’t make sense (why did Victor’s dad give a teenager world-changing powers?) are later given good explanations (oh it’s because he used the cube out of desperation) and things that made no sense or felt like pointless edginess in the Whedon cut turned out to have sensible explanations and meaningful character implications in the Snyder cut.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

If Whedon’s rule of filmmaking is “cut out your favorite scene” then why didn’t he cut the pratfall onto Wonder Woman’s cleavage

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Miching Mallecho posted:

I'll take Batman and Superman having a little nod to each other after Steppenwolf and the "congratulations" scene over this

Batman’s genuine guilt over his past actions and borderline obsessive desire to redeem himself in the Snyder cut is so much better than Whedon’s sitcom “oh whoops sorry about the whole getting you killed thing haha” crap

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Nah man I like the scene but it's still pretty hilarious that she straight up destroyed a whole wall off a building then gently told a girl she could be anything she wanted to be. Like I expect it from psycho goreman not justice league
Wonder Woman is an Ancient Greek warrior, she isn’t typically written to have a strict “no-kill” rule.

Augus fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Mar 20, 2021

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

BiggerBoat posted:

Where did superman even GET a black costume? Do they show that or does he just come out of the grave wearing it?

the spaceship is shown to be filled with dozens of different costumes lining the outside of the rooms lol

it’s a very basic chekhov gun

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The entire reason why Diana, Bruce, and Clark are compelling as the main trio of the Justice League is because of their differences in morality. Clark is an idealist that sees the good in everyone, Bruce is a stubborn cynic who doesn’t completely trust anyone, and Diana is a warrior who is straightforward and practical: if a dragon is burning down the village, you slay the dragon. They represent three different outlooks on heroism that are often at odds with one another. The push and pull of different ideas trying to reach a compromise is what makes stories about them interesting.

Augus fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Mar 20, 2021

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I don't think the theatrical cut shows Whedon as a bad artist. They hired the Buffy guy to get the movie out the door when the auteur director of their flagship project had to duck out due to a horrifying tragedy that nobody could have foreseen.

They could have shelved the movie until Snyder was able to get back to work, or gone with another director and given them enough time and budget to get the movie done for real. Instead, they gave whedon nowhere near enough time to turn it into something he could handle and rushed the screeching hybrid disaster out the door.

I have issues with basically everything whedon's created since Angel ended, but he was less responsible for the Justice League mess than David Ayer was for the Suicide Squad mess, which was not really his fault.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

None of Thanos's motives or background or complexity really came into play until Infinity War when he took center stage. This is more like Guardians of the Galaxy where we learned a bit about who Thanos was and what he was looking for, and the villain was directly connected to him, but he was still very much a background figure.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

mcmagic posted:

But why does he look exactly like Thanos?

you mean "why does Thanos look exactly like Darkseid?"

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I don't have anything against Ray Porter but Michael Ironside will always be the voice of Darkseid to me.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Ammanas posted:

i liked the movie but the 'anti life equation' is a profoundly stupid phrase

who cares it loving rules

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

2house2fly posted:

SOMEONE MADE UP AN ACTUAL EQUATION FOR THE ANTI LIFE EQUATION???!!

grant morrison is loving insane

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I teared up when blue daddy died and I am not ashamed to admit this

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The bits with young Cyborg in the principal's office and then later with the evicted waitress are the most "Superheroes caring about average people" I've seen in a comic book movie in years tbqh

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

i have never heard the term hopepunk until now and I already despise it

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

just call it "optimistic" or "positive" or something jfc

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

it's interesting how joss whedon's real-life abuse of the cast and crew on the set of Justice League isn't deemed worth even briefly mentioning but zack snyder making the fictional character batman be a bad guy for two hours is an unforgiveable crime

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The CG isn't flawless and there are some shots here and there where they obviously just went "eh, good enough" which is to be expected from the circumstances of this movie's development. I'm also still not the biggest fan of how desaturated Snyder's movies tend to be. But I could never in a million years call this an UGLY movie. There are a ton of great and visually striking scenes all throughout it. The action scenes are weighty and exciting and there's a lot of creativity in how they showed stuff like Flash protecting civilians from falling rubble.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

it was super cool

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

smoobles posted:

Zack Snyder treats every movie he's directed as if it's the most important film of all time. If you disagree that what your watching is important, it's gonna feel self absorbed, operatic and "grimdark". Everything is grand, over the top, and untethered from reality. None of these characters are supposed to be realistic, they're supposed to be gods and the films are supposed to be American mythology. Contrast that with Avengers where the whole point is them being relatable and flawed to the point where Tony Stark gives up being Ironman in like 3 different movies.

didn't avengers 2 literally end with the avengers being immortalized as marble statues like the greek gods

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

gregday posted:

I did not like this movie but if this is what it had to be better than then lol

https://twitter.com/jessehawken/status/1374421690734706690

Joss Whedon's Justice League is a horrendous movie

smoobles posted:

No? I think it ended with Thor leaving to investigate infinity stones and Cap training up some brand new Avengers at the new HQ.

these are the credits of Avengers Age of Ultron
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFfyvf14egU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Caridean posted:

psychopath: Even people who liked Snyder are usually able to admit that he doesn't give a poo poo about anyone in his movies but the central heroic figures. The amount of death and destruction for what's basically a schlocky action adventure film is weird. It's not as bad as some of his previous work but it's still there.

in dragon ball z (the quintessential action adventure schlock of the modern era) freeza wipes out entire species and blows up planets and the viewer response is "oh wow that's one bad dude, he means business, someone should really stop this guy"

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Mantis42 posted:

The real question is why did Superman's death scream activate the Mother Box but not Zod's.

cause zod wasn't poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

remember when that psychopath george lucas didn't give a poo poo about all those people who died on alderaan