Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
there is nothing normal about being a war profiteer billionaire who invents futuretech power armor in a cave (WITH A BOX OF SCRAPS) and solves clean energy and builds a global response force of power-armor drones and builds enough power armors that he eventually has nanotechnology

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

hiddenriverninja posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwlT2mblEFg

drat I am so hyped for this new (original?) score

this is loving incredible

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

Barreft posted:

I've just never seen such slavish loyalty to one person. The Snyder poo poo just reminds me of Trump/Elon/Roberts idol worship. Like I'm sure there's many out there defending Joss Whedon as well, which is just as weird.

e: eh

lmfao

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
the thing i don't really get is how people who talk about how snyder is some fascist, crypto or otherwise, and how he has this toxic fanbase who think his poo poo movies are great, also tend to be the people who talk about wandavision like 'okay sure it's about two no-name characters and it takes four episodes to get good, but it's got all these connections to the MCU and you'll be sad if you miss out'

like what the gently caress lmao

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

Barreft posted:

I've just never seen such slavish loyalty to one person. The Snyder poo poo just reminds me of Trump/Elon/Roberts idol worship. Like I'm sure there's many out there defending Joss Whedon as well, which is just as weird.

e: eh

i can't believe i missed this comparison. snyder, trump, musk, roberts - one of these is not like the others, one of these does not belong.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
my personal favorite was the comment being like 'haha don't snyder fans know that the word motherbox sounds dumb?'

i've got no particular love for anything dc-related but come the gently caress on, as if comics in general aren't filled with dumb names.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
the stuff about WB having a bit of an axe to grind against ZSJL makes me think back to a lot of stuff J Michael Straczynski said about how WB treated Babylon 5, which was basically treating it terribly, blaming the show for everything they could, and lying about several important things (like a warehouse fire destroyed all the original CGI material, which was why they couldn't remasted it - but it didn't)

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

Snowman_McK posted:

That last one is especially funny seeing as Youtube is filled with fan made recreations of the CGI that, thanks to the march of technology, look a shitload better than the original.

they're fan-made, sure, but they're actually the original assets and files that WB had said were lost. someone leaked them to the guy who's recreating them.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
confession time: i always thought it was pronounced darkseed

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

McCloud posted:

because "no one got hurt", but they freak the gently caress out over this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTxZl_ffcv0

what is that track at about 6:50? i don't recognize it from any of the osts - is it a custom remix, or am i misremembering? i really love the piano in it. it's most obvious when he throws zod into space.

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Embrace the Snyder pill

where's that image of lex putting the snydercut candy in the guy's mouth?

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

Mr. Apollo posted:

Here are two promo clips. No spoilers or anything. One is a brief clip of Diana vs Steppenwolf in the tunnel and the other is the League discussing using the Motherbox to bring back Superman in the Wayne Hanger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-duMaYnxVE

love how his armor ripples after he's hit

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
now that we know how snyder wanted the diana and steppenwolf fight to look, it's intriguing that

1. whedon shoved batman and stuff in there, basically taking the emphasis away from the female superhero and

2. added in the line about how steppenwolf killed women

Horizon Burning fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Mar 16, 2021

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
lmao "Justice League is everything you want in a modern super team-up movie: a diverse crew of well-developed heroes coming together, butting heads, cracking jokes, and kicking butt. Despite the DCEU's sputtering start, Justice League coalesces in the end, and it works in many more ways than not. It's not trying to solve all the genre's problems--and it doesn't. But as a team-up movie and a fresh jumping-off point for the DCEU, Justice League is a 100-story leap in the right direction."

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/justice-league-review-a-fresh-start/1100-6454954/

lmao "For better or worse, the superhero niche of pop culture is full of bizarre cultural artifacts, from the comics themselves to the TV and movies they inspire. Zack Snyder's Justice League--more colloquially known as "The Snyder Cut"--is just another in a long line of puzzling cape-and-cowl franchise moments. The four hour long re-cut of the 2018 box office bomb, complete with extra scenes and re-shoots will land on HBO Max on March 18 and--well, if you've ever been brave enough to ask the question "is it possible for a superhero movie to feel like watching paint dry?" This one's for you."

https://www.gamespot.com/reviews/zack-snyders-justice-league-relentlessly-boring-and-endlessly-long/1900-6417648/

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
serious poster fart simpson, did you waste four hours of your time watching a film you know you wouldn't like so you can try to own people on the internet, or did you not watch it and are just pretending?

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

fart simpson posted:

apparently if you have the right brain worms then yes it does as evidenced by posters in this thread

it does add character development yes. for example in the original steppenwolf is generic bad guy who just loves to be evil. now he’s been elevated to generic henchman who wants to impress his generic bad guy boss who just loves to be evil

may you seethe and cope, amen

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
97% user score on rotten tomatoes holy moly

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
lol so the kal-el NO line is in both cuts, but the whedon cut is a way worse take and/or reshoot

what on earth was whedon doing?!

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

Rabelais D posted:

Apparently Nick McKinless who plays Ares in JL did not get credited, but David Thewlis did (for his voice?), but I don't remember Ares saying anything at all

i'm pretty sure he said HUUAAARGGH at one point

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

Robot Style posted:

With context (that the movie isn't going to provide, naturally) it's quite a nice thing to end on for the project. Apparently it was the favorite song of his daughter (who the film is dedicated to), and the version used in the credits is by the person who sang it at her funeral.

i didn't know that last bit, about the singer. wow.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

The United States posted:

lol why is Ares red like the kool aid man in the theatrical cut invasion flashback?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FadBhQyHtA&t=152s

also funny how not-Kratos and his axe basically do very little damage to stephenwolf, while it nearly kills darkside? I guess wolfy was smart enough to wear armor while darkside just went to fight gods with magic axes shirtless, like an idiot.

darkseid: what're they going to do, stab m- AUGH gently caress

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
it might have something to do with the video calls that Steppenwolf kept making, op.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
the first time darkseid came to earth, he got his rear end kicked by a team of weirdos including actual gods. if I was darkseid, I'd probably wander off for a while and build up my strength, make myself some armor to avoid getting axed a question again, and then come back when I know I can win. Maybe with rather angular lasers, too. stack that deck.

I may be misremembering, but I'm pretty sure Steppenwolf is like

Hey the motherboxes are calling me from this planet - time to get themselves
Wow, this world has no cosmic defenders
Whoa, this world has the anti life equation - my daddy figure has been looking for that!

So, Darkseid finds out he has someone on that world already feeding him intel, AND the dudes who whooped him last time are gone. I don't know, seems to make enough sense why he didn't come back earlier - there's thousands or millions of other worlds he can gently caress with before making his play for the anti life.

If you're playing for all the marbles across the multiverse then you play to win - especially when you almost died last time and suffered a historic defeat.

Horizon Burning fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Mar 19, 2021

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
it is. he gets shot by Athena/Artemis? and Zeus and then Ares gets him in the neck. i really don't know where the 'he forgot' thing is coming from

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

Shageletic posted:

Her line readings are amazingly bad, which is not a good thing when it underlies like 10 mins of dialogue less action. They teach you in school how to vary your voice, to embue it with authority or whimsy, or whatever choice you want. And I think her choice 100 percent of the time is "sleepily telling you about a happy dream she had once she can't quite remember".

i see someone went to the tairy green school of acting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-x068o6Wtw4

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

FizFashizzle posted:

There was an interview with Whedon I read once that was his rules of scriptwriting. The one rule I remember was to get rid of your favorite scene. Snyder seems to take this in the opposite direction, where not only is he not getting rid of it, but he has ten, and he doesn't care how it fits into the greater scope of the story.

is this a bit?

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
I've seen people bring up the lighthouse, usually saying something like 'it had artistic purpose and meant something, Snyder using it just means he is up his own rear end'

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

latinotwink1997 posted:

I’m trying to catch up on the thread so forgive me if these have already been mentioned but I couldn’t get past some things with this:

Wonder Woman jumping down to some hidden alcove that shows all this fight from the past. Where the gently caress did she jump to?

this actually threw me, too. i assume it was something under the temple of athena or whatever.

quote:

O hey master Darkseid, I found the location of the anti-life equation. It’s here on Earth. Excellent, now use the mother boxes to destroy the planet for me.

And am I supposed to believe the destruction of Earth somehow would spare Steppenwolf?

what gave you any reason to believe that desaad and darkseid cared about Steppenwolf at all? the tragic element of his character is that his loyalty to their cause is far greater to their consideration for him. 'the thing about loyalty to a cause is that the cause will always betray you.'

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

Detective No. 27 posted:

The world would have been fuuuucked if Zod knew Earth had some motherboxes.

can you imagine Steppenwolf having to face down Zod

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

Burkion posted:

I have an intense revulsion to this knowledge and I cannot express why

Steven Universe ended with the hopeful message that you should feel bad and sorry for the tyrannical intergalactic titans because they were sad, you see

The show was so good for a time too but at some point it just went utterly inane

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

Chairman Capone posted:

Aren't its fans notoriously vile and entitled, too? I feel like the only time I heard about the show was its fans trying to cyberbully someone into committing suicide for not drawing characters fat enough or poo poo like that.

yeah, pretty much. that's fandom for you. performative hate isn't just the domain of reactionaries, unfortunately. SU just stings a little bit more because of how it ended up, I think that Tumblr business hit at the peak of the show, well before it kneecapped itself in the final stretch. it's hard to imagine people getting upset about Connie's nose or whatever when the show itself threw her aside. But back then, the show seemed genuinely progressive. Steven being a Diamond was much worse than Rey Palpatine ever was as far as themes were concerned.

uh anyway, about those fries?

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
i read somethnig - i think on this very forum - that raised the possibility that finn was the protagonist and rey the sidekick, which was changed in editing and reshoots. we know that TFA had some big changes made to it during production (constable zuvio, for one) and the infamous shortage of rey action figures makes more sense when hasbro didn't produce enough to cover the protagonist because she wasn't (much like how there were heaps and heaps of zuvio's. aside, finn also comes with a lightsaber which rey doesn't) it's unfortunate that we'll never get an honest account of the sequel film production because they seem to have been 'hectic' at best.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
Even Steppenwolf gets it!

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
affleck trying to lead a walk out but not being successful is real :smith: stuff

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

Timeless Appeal posted:

I think I ultimately agree with this. I think for me, if I were the hypothetical writer of a Superman movie, I wouldn't include a line like that because I do actually believe we have.a duty to one another and while we can choose to abandon that duty, we shouldn't.

so, how many lives have you saved today? why, with this sense of duty and obligation and so on, are you posting on an internet forum?

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

Bogus Adventure posted:

Also, for people saying the Marvel movies "are good," did everyone just forget how loving corny this dumb poo poo was?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZ8tpYr_cJo

lmao at the cinematography in this versus ZSJL

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I know objectivism is incoherent but that doesn’t mean everything is objectivism, drat. Find another word.

*stands up*

i'm objectivism

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
is it just my sense of perspective or is thor really tiny in that gif

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
Yeah Superman pretty much goes 'gently caress it' and hits Batman hard enough to break his helmet - if not for the kryptonite grenade I imagine that would've been a kill shot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
The Amazons just taking the box blindly away from Steppenwolf wouldn't even be an issue either - turns out when the harbinger of the apocalypse shows up on your doorstep, the heroic thing to do is to keep the cosmic box away from him for as long as possible