Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

MacheteZombie posted:

I liked snyders use of frost breath vs whedons

I keep imagining the reshoots and joss screaming at cavill to blow harder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Grimdude posted:

Idk, but I thought it was funny that she opted to super-speed block every round coming out of an automatic weapon instead of maybe just charging the dude with the gun before he can even fire/switch firing modes. They really built up the tension there and I remember just laughing at the resolution.

Pretty sure there's a cut to a dude who got killed by a ricochet

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Martman posted:

She has a 5% chance on every block to trigger a special Ricochet Ultra Gore Kill

For real, we only noticed cause there's wall blood spatter and a dude slumped for a second and we were like how did that happen?

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

I'll never understand the complaints about Superman coming out wrong when he was raised from the dead by a device created of evil incarnate.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Augus posted:

cause zod wasn't poo poo

Truth, couldn't even handle a nerd scientist who'd only just lost his virginity.

Arkage posted:

It's like some people really do live in an alternative universe where they think "criticisms" like this are actually convincing anybody of anything.

That's the "liberal" critique for morality in film.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Imagining people upset when Cyborg puts money in that mother's bank account.

"Has Snyder never heard of teaching a man to fish?"

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Remember back when people would laugh that the S stands for hope? Simpler times.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

I know the pandemic is awful, but at least we can now officially have mask couture.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Comic book movies are inherently silly, and it's not like the actual shot is bad or out of place. Just something people can hold their nose at like it's some how a crutch.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Mr. Apollo posted:

Bruce probably told her.
Oh yeah. She was probably watching it in her hotel room or something because she doesn’t own one. Or maybe she heard people talking about it.

She has a phone and a laptop, Zods message was on anything with a screen.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Blood Boils posted:

Hilariously Ang Lee is the only one who actually thought about giving this character a backstory that would explain rage issues.

I like that Lee found a way to make the hulk science grounded, but still went bug nuts crazy with it.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Hulk was BvS before BvS.

Absolutely, "lol monster poodle dogs" is the OG MARTHA

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Augus posted:

literally the only thing I remember about Ang Lee’s Hulk is this one perfect scene
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmG-UmiY0vQ&t=113s

Now I need to watch this again. I giggle everytime I watch that scene, just imagining ang lee stomping around the set. You can see the king kong influence.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Just lmao if you think that wasn't live rounds

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

I actually like that they didn't have her say the mealy mouthed response of "of course you can be like me." Someone framed it earlier, but that dialogue rings alot more true when it's said after destroying men trying to uphold the patriarchy.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

I think there's a little in the car chase, at least when he hits the boat. And superman's cape in that same event.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Chairman Capone posted:

As an update, hours after posting this supremely dumb article, this site announced it was shutting down and ceasing publication. LOL.

Nobody can tell me that wasn't an art installation based on a drill tweet

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

2house2fly posted:

it remains endearing that so many people Snyder works with end up being his friends

Snyder is the naruto of directors

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Arkage posted:

Eh I guess it's just to do with sunlight absorption then. And his Dad wore it since the sun was much weaker at Krypton.

There's another interview where he does talk about it being a krypton thing, you were right on.

quote:

“The black suit, you can say that in modern Krypton, when he left, everyone was wearing black suits. So it is sort of linked to, in some ways, the old world. I think it is a more direct relationship to his family. In a lot of ways, the blue suit, to me, represents his kind of place on Earth. The blue suit is his suit of a hero, the suit of his destiny, whereas the black suit is more personal in a lot of ways, more about his family. One is outward, and one is inward, and I think that those things, the expression of that could be – let’s put it this way. It was always my intention with the larger arc of the movies to realize that more completely, but I think you get a sense of it here.”
https://www.fortressofsolitude.co.za/the-importance-of-supermans-black-suit-in-zack-snyders-justice-league-explained/amp/

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

teagone posted:

I just laugh whenever someone tries to dunk on me with the disappearing knife thing whenever I say that I absolutely love the throne room fight in TLJ. I'm like, "cool, I don't give a poo poo."

In jurassic park, the trex scene climax is pushing the jeep over a cliff that didn't exist earlier in the same scene, but no one gives a poo poo because it's a great loving scene.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Mandrel posted:

. Johnson is more interested in playing meta narrative games with the audience even at the expense of story and also has a little too much feckless self-impressed nerd in him.

This is a meta read that is projection on your part. Rian johnson is a revisionist, nothing more or less. He's hyper aware of the source and is looking for more within that. Much like myself, every time he writes something, he asks if he's seen it done before and how to usurp that. This idea has been a thing since before the French New wave and their love of westerns. Go back and watch Brick. What structure are you referring to? If anything TLJ is another take on those characters, adolescents playing in an adult world. How does knives out not focus on characters over structure?

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Mar 27, 2021

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

“I saw superman and zod and they were hugging and then they killed everyone and superman smiled at me.”

-Steppenwolf

This is what happens in justice league, he's got a creepy smile the whole time.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Ferrinus posted:

It's a really interesting progression, because as the fight begins you can see Superman smugly assuming the professional bedside manner he's generally used in his capacity as a superhero

This is tongue in cheek right? The fight begins with him slamming zod through silos. Also, this is his literal first time in the suit so I don't get where you're reading all this.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

I like that alfred is both playing host and sidekick here. He's so used to doing everything for Bruce, it's killing him to not to take the tea out of her hands. And the lovely punchline is that he does finish making the tea for her.

I feel Diana though. Learning that you have to have a kettle and a teapot was mind blowing. I'm just used to throwing my leaves in water.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Yeah, that's just old school hospitality. (something Diana should probably also be familiar with)

I do agree abit though, since Diana's constantly being slobbered over, I feel it was a bit annoying. She had that choking down a microaggression smile many of us have had to master. She knows it's out love rather than othering so she's letting it slide. Old school hospitality/chivalry has always been a double edged sword.

That's why the punchline is alfred making the tea after she's done with it, he has no ulterior motives but to make her comfortable.

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Mar 29, 2021

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Swanwick is probably a real person that J'onn met and took his identity when he died. That's his general backstory. This military guy or scientist found his ship, J'onn morphed into his true form and the dude got so scared he had a heart attack and died. So then J'onn took his identity and resolved to hide his true self.

Snyder says in an interview that swanwick has always been MMs alternate identity not some random he met.

Starts at 21:00 in

https://youtu.be/8qBQvwXLoQk

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Phenotype posted:

He doesn't say that Martha hasn't always been MM's alternate identity, though. Until I see a movie showing otherwise, J'onn and Jonathan have been living happily together at the farm in Smallville for years before Clark shows up, and maybe he shapeshifts into Swanwick to keep his hand in.

J'onn J'onnz is Superman's mom.

But now you're saying MM could've saved Jonathan and didn't. The dude can literally go invisible.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Pirate Jet posted:

The Swanwick thing does confuse me. If he was planned to be MM from the very beginning, doesn’t that clash with what Snyder said where he wanted the cameo at the end of ZSJL to be John Stewart?

The end scene and the Martha scene aren't connected by anything but convenience. He'd already shot both and they said no to GL, so he just retrofit MM. It's why Affleck's dialogue is so reactive.

Sodomy Hussein posted:

I'm going to choose to believe that Batman being completely bored and annoyed by yet another demigod is 100% intentional though.

Most definitely, it's the closing of Bruce's arc. Glowing green men come to visit and he's just worried his tea is getting cold.

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Mar 30, 2021

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

stratdax posted:

You can have humanity in your movie without characters laughing and hugging. I know you know that. But I don't think it's controversial to say that's not what Snyder is good at. Without it, it's a four hour slog of CGI spectacle. Like I said, Cyborg was played up as the emotional heart of the movie... And there was barely anything there. (Except, with his insane powers, he.. gave a lady 100,000. instead of, I dunno, changing the system that allowed her situation to happen in the first place.)

I think it's pretty telling the Snyderdome is talking about man of steel, and this thread was jokingly debating if martian Manhunter was actually every character. There's just not much to Justice League but smoke and noise. And a baffingly dumb villain.

You missed a bunch then. Cyborg isn't just about him giving money, it's about him and his father. They've got one of the most authentic parental scenes ever for black characters. Folks here are just bathing in the after glow of getting the complete trilogy. You really think every read about BvS came with in the first weeks? Strap in, the Ayer cut is ~4 years away so we've got time.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Timeless Appeal posted:

I think that's what Batman wants it to be about though. He is literally replacing his dead family with the Justice League at the end of the film. There's kind of a tragedy to it. Superman, Wonder Woman, Cyborg, Flash, and Aquaman seem to come to terms with their family in various ways. This really is all that Bruce has.

Yeah that's definitely the through line, family is what you make of it. Batman is so hungry for redemption in this, I love it.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

I had to walk out of oceans 11. They really expected us to care about all these folks in an hour and a half.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Tell that to Steppenwolf's cut neck!

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

What is with people trying to rewrite scripts with poo poo that's explicitly not within that world. Why didn't everything just bend to the will of the heroes?¿?

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Ferrinus posted:

Superman didn't so much "make the difference" as "win singlehandedly", just overwhelmingly crush through all opposition. SMG's right in an earlier post - the way it's shot, it looks like the brutal force of Superman's punches is widening the portal to Darkseid with each blow.
This is explicitly why Superman is dead when they form the league. You're just pointing out how ridiculous it is that Batman is a human hanging out with Superman a God and somehow the comic books still want them to be seen on the same level power wise.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Ferrinus posted:

No, I'm pointing out that the decision to manually engineer the Second Coming came out of the principal characters' psychologies and not a sober tactical assessment of relative combat prowess.

That's the text of the movie. If you've heard the"he doesn't smile" brigade it makes even more sense.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Ferrinus posted:

Yes, exactly, that's why it's a good movie.

This discussion began with me being like drat, on a rewatch, ZSJL telegraphs really hard that summoning Superman down from the realms supernal is a bad idea, and half the thread jumps down my throat re: Steppenwolf's armor class rating.
It's not telegraphing, it's the literal film. It's why joss had to literally write pet semetary because he felt like it wasn't hammered enough. Maybe he was right. And this tangent is based on you saying they didn't need Superman when the movie never gives us that. You started making up things that have never happened in this universe like flash harnessing electricity just to prove a point.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Mameluke posted:

I wonder, Snyder did remind us about the empty pod on the scout ship again. I think a thread of that idea ended up in WW84 with Lynda Carter's ancient warrior lady.

That's another actual character. And she'd be so old, I'm wondering if WB balked at the idea of an older woman playing her.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

ALFbrot posted:

edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGTDmuTwFCI&t=27s in case you don't know what I'm referring to
Also, Lois, who was recently having unprotected sex with an alien man, and is known for doggedly pursuing stories of note and import, casually mutes said newscast and dismissively ignores it in order to have a conversation with the adoptive mother of her extraterrestrial boyfriend

Are we sure this wasn't written and directed by noted rape king Snyder?

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Martman posted:

Still disappointed none of the numerous horses we saw in the trilogy turned out to be Comet the Super-Horse

Well actually, the opening CIA OP v KGbeast terror cell in BvS were on horses. And what flies over them? a drone that fires a missile bearing a suspicious resemblance to a comet. "Then came fire" like a comets tail. But of course Superman destroys it. Snyders penchant for grotesquely smashing unrelated things into what he perceives to be high art will never cease to both equally horrify and stupefy.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

He seems like an abuse survivor the second his brain starts processing the bullshit he went through

pile of brown posted:

I really hate to be the "just asking questions" guy but is it relevant than an alien from another planet is lecturing a black person from the USA about being judged racially in the aforementioned episode? I have not seen the episode.

Not directed at you but here's a crib note for the future

Immigrant/alien experience =! Black american* experience

*This cannot be substituted for other countries

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Apr 7, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

PeterCat posted:

Irons should have won in DHWAV.

Or at the very least they should have kept the original ending.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-GqY-M5fE4
This is why Marky Marks SHOOTER is so good, they went all in.

https://youtu.be/k4mdUDV4Ims