Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Stunt_enby posted:

you can witness this process in real-time by chewing on a mouthful of bread for like 10 minutes

Yeah, and I wonder if the carbs in white bread being super available to amylase to break down into sugar helps contribute to its perceived sweetness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

https://twitter.com/ItalianComments/status/1380925693182230529
https://twitter.com/ItalianComments/status/1378030489924218888
https://twitter.com/ItalianComments/status/1377357566892777476
https://twitter.com/ItalianComments/status/1376918047236194304

Although I think it's worth saying that I think the subtext of italian food purists is that they are Americans complaining about other Americans' rendition of a concept that they had a deeply personal relationship with.

RoeCocoa
Oct 23, 2010

This is what I made for dinner.

Sorry it's sideways. My grandmother found this recipe on a package of M.J.P. Quick BROWEN RICE at least half a century ago and it has been in the family ever since.

At the moment, we do not have ground beef, onions or nutmeg. What we do have is a kind neighbor who periodically brings us the things nobody else wanted from his volunteer pandemic food distribution work. His last two offerings have included 5-lb. commercial packages of "taco meat," which is mostly beef and pork by weight and mostly TVP and spicy grease by volume. I've been putting the stuff in nachos and burritos and looking for other ways to use it up. And so to tonight.

+ I replaced the gd beef, onions, and half-teaspoon of nutmeg with a couple pounds of "taco meat."
+ I peeled the moldering outer leaves off of a donated cabbage and boiled what was left, ultimately retrieving 16 decently sized wrapper leaves.
+ I cooked a little less than a cup of regular brown rice in a little more than 2 cups of water plus half a can of store-brand tomato sauce.
+ I grated a block of state-sponsored "cheddar" cheese and ended up with about 5 cups of it. I briefly thought this might be too much cheese, but I quickly realized I was being silly. Too much cheese is an old vegan legend; there is no such thing as too much cheese.

I poured the slightly undercooked, very wet rice-sauce mixture into a greased roasting pan and put a layer of cheese over it. Then I started teasing the boiled cabbage leaves loose from the core, one by one, filling them with "taco meat" and rooling them up, making neat rows in the pan. When I ran out of room, I covered the cabbage rolls with cheese, the rest of the tometao sauce, and what the heck, more cheese; then it was into a medium oven for half an hour. I didn't take a picture when it was fresh out of the oven, but it doesn't look much different cold:

You don't have to believe me, but this tastes really good.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

That recipe is really close to an old family recipe for galumpkis (pronounced gwum-kee).

Thoroughly boring when my Polish mom made them from unseasoned beef, cabbage and tomato sauce (she's an excellent cook, and I was fortunate to have her cooking for me growing up as she'd make all kinds of wonderful dishes, but I think for stuff like this she had a blind spot for food she grew up with in the 50's as someone from a big polish expat family) they're really good when you add some spices and salt to them, and I like making my version with nicely done beef and rice, in a cabbage wrapper, with tons of paprika, pepper, coriander, red pepper flake and whatnot in a deveined cabbage leaf, with a dot of sour cream on the side. They're also great with some browned and drained Italian Sausage or Chorizo substituted for the ground beef, and a good chunk of rye bread on the side.

That is to say, while a taco meat version certainly isn't traditional, I bet it tastes pretty good with that seasoning mix in it!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

SlothfulCobra posted:

Although I think it's worth saying that I think the subtext of italian food purists is that they are Americans complaining about other Americans' rendition of a concept that they had a deeply personal relationship with.

Goons have no right mocking italians for getting mad over food when they throw a hissy fit every time somebody cooks a steak to the wrong shade of pink or million other pointless things. At least the Italians get mad about things that matter.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Counterpoint: no they don't, and they get mad at both each other, and Americanized Italians over stupid as poo poo hyper regional Italian bullshit.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Counterpoint: Yes they do

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Elviscat posted:

galumpkis

Good lord, who is spelling it like that?! (Other than the editor of that article).

Regardless, they'd a huge staple in my family, and I always hated them, because they were this mix of sweet and bland mush. And about half the family considers cabbage 'gross' and would peel the cabbage off and eat just the rice and beef lump.

My dad wrote down the recipe for me once, and surprise surprise, he adds absolutely zero seasoning.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

steinrokkan posted:

Counterpoint: Yes they do

Culinary purism from an Italian perspective is stupid as gently caress.

LadyPictureShow posted:

Good lord, who is spelling it like that?! (Other than the editor of that article).

Regardless, they'd a huge staple in my family, and I always hated them, because they were this mix of sweet and bland mush. And about half the family considers cabbage 'gross' and would peel the cabbage off and eat just the rice and beef lump.

My dad wrote down the recipe for me once, and surprise surprise, he adds absolutely zero seasoning.

I've only heard it pronounced tbh, so that's the best Google spelling I can find.

See also kielbasa being pronounced cal-boss-ie, I don't pretend to understand.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Elviscat posted:

Culinary purism from an Italian perspective is stupid as gently caress.

At least it's infinitely more interesting than arguing about the appropriate way to serve hot dogs.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Elviscat posted:

I've only heard it pronounced tbh, so that's the best Google spelling I can find.
Gołąbki or Golumpki, apparently

From searching for "polish stuffed cabbage"

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

SlothfulCobra posted:

I’m sure these exist, but so do actual Italians in other countries than America, and they definitely like to get mad about food too

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Getting mad about your national cuisine when it's just cutting starch into a thousand different shapes and giving each one a fancy name like it's not the exact same poo poo.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

fwiw,

wikpedia posted:

Gołąbki are also referred to as golombki, golumpki, golabki, golumpkies, golumpkis, gluntkes, or gwumpki.[1][2][4] Similar variations are called holubky (Czech, Slovak), töltött káposzta (Hungarian), holubtsi (Ukrainian), golubtsy (Russian), balandėliai (Lithuanian), Kohlrouladen German (or sarma a Turkish loan-word, commonly applied to some South Slavic versions, particularly in the Balkan region), kåldolmar (Sweden, from the Turkish dolma). In Yiddish, holipshes, goleptzi golumpki and holishkes or holep are very similar dishes.[5]

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
We call stuffed cabbage "gwolumpkey" in our family and I never knew how hilariously wrong that was until today.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

fizzymercury posted:

We call stuffed cabbage "gwolumpkey" in our family and I never knew how hilariously wrong that was until today.

I am begging you to start a Post My Favorites thread about your life and times.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

fizzymercury posted:

Reminds me of how my grandpa would call oatmeal like, "clompedeshloo" or something that sounded like it

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
My roommate is currently making a box of German potato pancakes. The German word is "kartoffelpuffer," which is now my new favorite German word until I forget it, and I really just wanted to share that with the rest of the class.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I suppose kartoffelpfannkuchen would have been unwieldy.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

I suppose kartoffelpfannkuchen would have been unwieldy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVwo4zrS67Q

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Kartoffelpfannkuchen would just confuse the people who think a Pfannkuchen ist a Berliner.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The only thing I can say to that is "pff" because he can't.

Also deviant foreign pancakes.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Every cultures best food was stolen, sometimes literally and violently, from other cultures.

Italy is no exception.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

OwlFancier posted:

The only thing I can say to that is "pff" because he can't.

Also deviant foreign pancakes.

I just had an argument with some French students where I explained what you could make with batter, and I said 'British pancakes, similar to your crepes' and they started getting upset and I had to shut them up to explain that what they were thinking of were American pancakes

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Wasabi the J posted:

Every cultures best food was stolen, sometimes literally and violently, from other cultures.

Italy is no exception.

Italians that act like tomatos are something they've been cooking with from the very beginning.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

Schubalts posted:

Italians that act like tomatos are something they've been cooking with from the very beginning.

They started cultivating them for cuisine in the 16th century so i dunno how you want to define "beginning" but they've been there for a while

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Schubalts posted:

I mean, when something has been part of your culture for 500 years I think you can define that as the "very beginning".
efb.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
there's no beginning and no end. no food rules.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Butterfly Valley posted:

I just had an argument with some French students where I explained what you could make with batter, and I said 'British pancakes, similar to your crepes' and they started getting upset and I had to shut them up to explain that what they were thinking of were American pancakes

Pancake in Scotland and Ireland means the smaller thicker style that America adopted. The thinner type that you put fillings into are called crepes, or occasionally English pancakes.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

Pancake in Scotland and Ireland means the smaller thicker style that America adopted. The thinner type that you put fillings into are called crepes, or occasionally English pancakes.

Yeah I said English pancakes to them, idk why I just said British pancakes in my post because I know about drop scones and Irish pancakes. As an English though we definitely don't call them crepes unless we're eating them in France, they're just pancakes.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Crepes are like, very thin and you need one of the fancy crepe wheel things to make them.

Pancakes can be thicker they're just still unleavened.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Mymla posted:

I mean, when something has been part of your culture for 500 years I think you can define that as the "very beginning".
efb.

Italy as a country is only a couple of hundred years old IIRC so it pretty much has been from the beginning.

Otherwise we'd be accusing Ireland of culturally appropriating the potato. Or America appropriating apple pie from Europe, as apples aren't native to the Americas.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

OwlFancier posted:

Crepes are like, very thin and you need one of the fancy crepe wheel things to make them.

Pancakes can be thicker they're just still unleavened.

Something I don't understand about crepes is how when they're made in Asian restaurants (like Japanese ice cream/boba tea shops and the like) they're these beautiful, uniform, artfully made things where the person does a graceful circular swoosh in a single motion to spread it onto the round griddle; but when I visited London a few years ago for work they had a crepe shop with a highbrow French chef come in to make crepes for the company, and he would just pour on a lump of batter and then went grind-grind-wipe-mash-grind back and forth with his little squeegee to make a misshapen square-ish blob with holes and thin spots all over it.

All I could think was, every cultural cuisine has to be appropriated in order to be perfected, apparently

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Maybe that guy was just a hack cos I've had the nice squeegee crepes at markets a bunch of times.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I can't remember if this was the thread with the garlic in tomato sauce derail, but I read somewhere that Italians in general associate garlic with poor-people food and it's largely avoided in contemporary Italian cuisine.

meanwhile, Italian immigrants to America were the poor people in question, so etc.

here's a more nuanced and researched look into things:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/food-and-wine/food-trends/the-pungent-debate-of-using-garlic-in-cooking/article21538724/

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Empty Sandwich posted:

I can't remember if this was the thread with the garlic in tomato sauce derail, but I read somewhere that Italians in general associate garlic with poor-people food and it's largely avoided in contemporary Italian cuisine.

meanwhile, Italian immigrants to America were the poor people in question, so etc.

here's a more nuanced and researched look into things:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/food-and-wine/food-trends/the-pungent-debate-of-using-garlic-in-cooking/article21538724/

garlic rules!

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
European strawman: the US hasn't been populated by white people long enough to have anything resembling a history
Also a european strawman: Italy and Ireland have had tomatoes and potatoes since the "beginning."

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

In America 100 years is a long time, in Europe 10 ingredients is a large cuisine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Italians using tomatoes isn't cultural appropriation or a problem. The problem is that Italians act as if anyone else using tomatoes is cultural appropriation and a problem, as if God himself on the 5th day planted San Marzano tomatoes on the ashy slopes of Mount Vesivius and that any other tomato used for any other purpose is a sign of tragic historical decline.