Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Butterfly Valley posted:

I live next to France for which the phrase haute cuisine exists and I'm pretty sure any restaurant that served spaghetti in an upside down goblet would be firebombed by critics in the night

Okay yeah I was mostly talking the Americas there, then; I wouldn't know outside of it since I'm stuck in this hell country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Code Jockey posted:

plus when the butter is used up you can drink the delicious wautter

nothin i like better after a tall glass of buttermilk.

also, the dumb glass with the spaghetti is so your restaurant's lovely food gets posted on social media.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
While it is eminently enjoyable to rag on the States for a multitude of reasons, I don't think this phenomenon is just confined to your shores as I know I've seen some extremely British meals served in a shoe or a spade or whatever

But even when I lived in the UK I never suffered that indignity because I feel like the kind of places that would do that kind of poo poo would have about 300 red flags already warning me off

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the actual haute cuisine places were sick of the tacky plating about 10 years ago. nowadays the peeps doin it are copies of copies of copies of copies, like the lava cake goin from haute cuisine to dominos offerin it

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

With the more ridiculous plating, people usually don't get that weird unless they're charging a higher price, so if you're conscientious about when you're spending extra on food, you'll probably not run into something that weird unless you're actively seeking out weird.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

this bat loves-a the pasta :italy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixMpiPbjrlY

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

hawowanlawow posted:

I've never actually seen anyone eat that poo poo, it just sits there on the table looking gross as hell

I bet the venn diagram of people who eat that and people who eat circus peanuts is a circle

My older brother actually makes a really good one, though it's so rich you can only really eat a very small serving without it being overwhelming

Data Graham posted:

I'm still having trouble with "rocket"

A weird name for a not very good vegetable

Empty Sandwich posted:

the British term "marrow" deeoly confused me when I was a child

Which is?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Grand Fromage posted:

August seems early for the yearly "getting performatively mad about using marshmallows in a dessert" posts. Can we put them off to October at least?

The Halloween season starts in late July to Early August, just like how Christmas begins November 1st and doesn't truly end till part way through January

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
i saw one of those angry Italian about food tweets and it made me want to find Italian "American" food horrors to get performatively upset about

E: lmao

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Why is there a moldy hockey puck on that burger?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Is that some sort of press cake :psyduck:

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Looks like some kind of fish patty to me

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

drrockso20 posted:

My older brother actually makes a really good one, though it's so rich you can only really eat a very small serving without it being overwhelming

A weird name for a not very good vegetable

Which is?

Marrows are zucchini’s/ courgettes that are allowed to grow up.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Schubalts posted:

that's what you get if you order a veggie burger at places that charge 15$+ for a burger and fries. ye olde vegetable patty, a sad puck of mashed potatoes and steamed peas and carrots, usually deep fried. buy a bag of frozen ones, and you don't have to order more because anyone who eats one won't come back.

vegetarian technology has moved to actually tasty plant based burgers, but old chefs set in their beefy ways have not payed attention.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

This is it, you can call off the scientists working in the labs, the teams in the field have discovered the actual Saddest Plate of Nachos existing in nature.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

axolotl farmer posted:

that's what you get if you order a veggie burger at places that charge 15$+ for a burger and fries. ye olde vegetable patty, a sad puck of mashed potatoes and steamed peas and carrots, usually deep fried. buy a bag of frozen ones, and you don't have to order more because anyone who eats one won't come back.

vegetarian technology has moved to actually tasty plant based burgers, but old chefs set in their beefy ways have not payed attention.

Honestly I'm more than fine with that style of Veggie Burger if it's done right, like the Gardenburger brand you find in the freezer section at the grocery, though I will admit it's the kind of thing that's more appropriate as something you make at home than something you'd buy at a restaurant or at least one any fancier than a diner or little beachside burger shack or something

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Porfiriato posted:

This is it, you can call off the scientists working in the labs, the teams in the field have discovered the actual Saddest Plate of Nachos existing in nature.

Dammit, my eyes slid right past that one, and now that you've called it to my attention, I need to make Revenge Nachos to avenge the existence of that abomination. The problem is, I only have potato chips in the house.

I'm still gonna do it, because potato chip nachos are still exponentially better than that mess. It's not even a hot mess, you can tell that poo poo arrived room temperature.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

How do you make nachos and forget the cheese

e: oh wait I think I see a little

Meaning they didn't forget, they did this on purpose

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Revenge Nachos

So, I don't have any fresh ingredients, but I can drat well do better than that restaurant. To start with, I use these semi-hipster avocado oil sea salt ripple cut kettle chips I picked up on a whim, because I know they'll soften in the cooking but still retain a nice crunch that the store-brand thin-cut plain ones will lack. Now, I could just slice government-subsidized pasteurized processed American-style blended cheese food product onto them, toss them in the microwave, and call it a win because they will be better than those offenses to all that claim affinity for Tex-Mex. But I want to overkill these bitches. I start grabbing cans, and remember I have an unopened block of cheddar in the fridge.

Initial sortie. The remaining ingredients stand ready for glory.

I realized I needed some seasoning, but even if I wanted onion, I don't have enough uses for onion to justify cutting one up. So I went out into the garden at 2 AM with a flashlight to pick some chives.

So first stage done, but we're not finished yet, now we add a second layer of chips and toppings to turn this into a terrifying tower of nachos to spit in the eye of god. Grate a little more cheese on top and pop it in the microwave for a minute 40.

Finished, and they are absolutely delicious. The ham is a little too salty, I could have offset that by rinsing it or using more tomato. Since of course I didn't use an entire can of anything, the rest of the ingredients are in the fridge and tomorrow I can use them to spruce up some spaghetti sauce or make more of these.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I laud your efforts. Still, I imagine one could make the argument that a properly highbrow version of nachos made with cheddar should involve sodium citrate so you can have a sharp cheddar sauce that melts and dips like Velveeta.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Data Graham posted:

I laud your efforts. Still, I imagine one could make the argument that a properly highbrow version of nachos made with cheddar should involve sodium citrate so you can have a sharp cheddar sauce that melts and dips like Velveeta.

Made me google for molecular cuisine nachos, and

Other dishes seem less fortunate.

http://www.foodaholix.in/2016/12/quattro-risorante.html

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I appreciate the cheese sauce in the gravy boat, means I just just drink it straight

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

the dog topping looks very similar to when you see human poo poo on the sidewalk, if you threw a wendy's napkin with a poo poo stain on top of it it would be complete.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

well poo poo it's no good any more

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

LOL

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Schubalts posted:

It looks like a formed fish patty. My cafeteria at work does one with salmon that they scoop from a bucket into a round form placed on the grill.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

LifeSunDeath posted:

it really should be marshmellows
What would pizza be like from Marshmellow Mushroom?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

LifeSunDeath posted:

it really should be marshmellons

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

CannonFodder posted:

What would pizza be like from Marshmellow Mushroom?

I miss Mellow Mushroom.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Former Icelandic prime minister and current parliamentarian and leader of the national populist Centrist Party Sigmundur Davíð Gunnlaugsson* makes a stop on a hike for a snack of raw unseasoned ground beef straight from the supermarket.

https://twitter.com/atlisigur/status/1423374042388697090?s=19

Stating that Icelandic meat is so pure and wholesome that cooking it is entirely unnecessary unlike the filthy and disease ridden meat other countries produce.

*This dude

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Meat might, conceivably, be that way, but I am pretty sure if you grind it it stops being that way because you mashed a bunch of germs into it in the process.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
coward didn't even eat a raw onion.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

uber_stoat posted:

coward didn't even eat a raw onion.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

OwlFancier posted:

Meat might, conceivably, be that way, but I am pretty sure if you grind it it stops being that way because you mashed a bunch of germs into it in the process.
Kind of mixing this together with spontaneous generation. Meat surfaces can be contaminated with poo poo from gut nicks or aerosolized poo poo or hides, or the butchers unwashed lovely cummy hands. This is partly regulated out in that if they catch any of this it's usually recall time. But monitoring isn't 100% accurate.

A clean cut of muscle without contamination sources can be later ground in a clean grinder without introducing the poo poo bacteria. A lot of your meat will be able to do this but the level of regulation usually doesn't get that exact, especially by the time you're selling all the ground ends or are serving immunocompromised people. Particularly ground ends coming from an industrial slaughterhouse is "oops all surfaces" and you have a pretty good chance of there being at least one piece of poo poo that touched something in there at some point.

A healthy person eating well sourced ground meat is gonna be fine.

E. Someone is going to point out that poo poo is everywhere. They are true, modern life is living and breathing in poo poo everywhere we go but it's not in amounts that can colonize meat or our guts unless you have serious poo poo issues.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
I'm a carnivore through and through but I'm not eating a raw anything unless I can see the musculature and have a general idea of what bit I'm eating.
Sushi = yas
Steak so rare people joke that I'm a werewolf: yaaaaaas
Random squished meats that might have toes and poo poo = brown that poo poo and we'll talk

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

If he was using any sort of seasoning or sauce and not just scooping raw meat into his mouth with his barehands straight from the sweaty plastic container it would be somewhat different.

It's not like this was proper beef tartare or carpaccio or something that's actually prepared even if it's not cooked. This is literally a millionaire showing the cheapest and shittiewt meat available into his gullet to make some weirdo nationalist point about the purity of our race livestock compared to the putrid foreign plague meats other nations eat.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I had a terrine today for my first time ever.

It was loving delicious!

Chicken and pork, I believe. One of those things where they say a thousand specials and then walk away to let you and your dining partner discuss how you can't remember a single one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011