Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

steinrokkan posted:

I mean his is what is typically considered sausage in the US:

So yes

this is just a loose Midwestern US interpretation of the original German Haribowursten

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

smellmycheese posted:

I got into making my own links sausages during lockdown last year and it’s surprisingly easy and extremely tasty.

my brother and I do this every couple of years when someone gives us some venison. neither of us hunts, but we both love deer sausage. 50/50 mix with pork butt, natural casings. I can't remember the seasoning mix.

Butterfly Valley posted:

1. Every other country is just confused by Americans calling sausage meat sausage,

oh, interesting. this came up in I think the last thread with hamburger [meat], uncountable noun, vs hamburger [sandwich] countable noun

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Data Graham posted:

It is the difference between “sausage” and “a sausage” which apparently does not exist everywhere

Like how when I got to New York and had to have an argument with a local about “pizza” versus “a pizza” versus “a pie” made of “pizza”

for maximum comedy you should also include someone talking about Connecticut apizza

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

hell yes, I've got a new rap name

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Empty Sandwich posted:

here's a bit on it from Modern French Culinary Art:

... which reminds me that I need to post more pictures of incredibly carefully prepared French food that looks like poo poo bc photography

returning to a previous linguistic derail:

I just was able to win an argument with my father, a retired professor of French, and my sister-in-law, a French professor of French, bc I'd posted this snippet. neither one had ever heard of this usage of entrée in French.

French.

anybody know when the linguistic change was made so that it makes sense in... that Gallic language? my s-i-l is around 40 and doesn't remember ever seeing the outdated version of the word (which now means appetizer, which makes a lot more loving sense).

my father is Old but not a foodie

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

lol

e:

holy poo poo...

:lol::lol:

Empty Sandwich has a new favorite as of 20:24 on Apr 20, 2021

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

I once bought a bottle of Jim Beam Green Apple back when I didn't know that Green Apple is a specific American flavour unrelated to apples.

in vaguely food-related news, I hate the move towards making dish soap smell like this chemical. it's invariably nasty

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
so for years, South Carolina mandated the use of airplane bottles in bars. the state had a per-bottle liquor tax and very much enjoyed this setup.

drinks were rather expensive and very strong... if you ordered a shot, you got the contents of a minibottle if you ordered a Long Island iced tea, you'd end up with a massive, expensive, unwise drink (instead of just the last thing.)

the state finally overturned this 15 years ago, but just before they did, a bar went in locally that had incredibly expensive bespoke fixtures, all of them sized for minibottles. poor bastards.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

That's some nonsense. Everyone knows a shot is 50ml, in Russia "fifty grams" is slang for a shot.

the Wikipedia article is illustrative on this one

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shot_glass

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

the important thing is that it's dead

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

ah, yes, scrotini

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

zedprime posted:

On one hand as a safety stickler I appreciate sticking to something officially recognized as a food additive. On the other hand as a bad food spectacle tourist, edible clay seems much more sausage worthy.

I'd much rather eat kaolin than diatomaceous earth, but I'd really rather not do either

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Elviscat posted:

I think you might have Pica if you're shoveling dirt in your mouth.

I think a diglett is more likely

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

I ask relatively few things of a mayonnaise; one is that it not be brown. I decided to poke around a little bit and see what I could find on the subject. the answer is "basically nothing," but I did find some afp.

here's an article from the Elmira, NY Star-Gazette about local pizza joints:

https://www.stargazette.com/story/news/local/2019/10/06/love-first-slice-elmiras-first-pizzeria-debuted-75-years-ago/3868369002/

here's the salient bit:

and a clickbait puff piece from the Today show about Alton running out of oil and using mayo instead:

https://www.today.com/food/alton-brown-cooked-steak-slathered-mayonnaise-t137868

(I've done this with a roast chicken for the unadulterated hell of it. it's fine. I like olive oil better.)

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Fruits of the sea posted:

I can strongly recommend SAC juice

I also have a sac juice to recommend

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

that explains the antidepressants in the background

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

AlbieQuirky posted:

Matjessalat: the sandwich so nice they showed it twice

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I was driving in the late evening when a group of three small does ran out in front of me I had cars behind and beside me, so I decided to hope for the best, rather than getting rear-ended.

I nailed the third one absolutely dead on, and pulled over to assess damage (to both the Honda Odyssey and the animal). the front of the van was rearranged in a way that while not aesthetic I did not end up repairing with my $1100 check from Geico.

a kid in a really enormous truck pulled over because he thought I'd had a flat and was going to offer a hand. he suggested we grab the deer to keep other people from hitting it.

I said "ok, but watch out, because it's still" and then there was a loud double crunch and I said "well, never mind." we grabbed it and hefted into the back of his truck.

I thanked him for stopping to help, and he said "sure, and don't worry... I won't get in trouble for having the deer." I did not tell him that I was not worried about that, but in my defense, there is basically no police presence in that part of the county anyway.

I'm not sure what was left unbruised on the animal, but I hope he ate it.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

zedprime posted:

You're generally making sausage out of deer except for a few specific cuts for a few people who gotta have their venison roasts/steaks/stews. I imagine you're on a tighter clock to drain the carcass compared to a clean shot but otherwise you're probably throwing it in the meat grinder anyway.

that's maybe the problem... that the blood fucks up the meat?

Sirotan posted:

Not one person came to see if we were dead or alive, they just wanted to wait and see if we claimed the carcass or not.

all of my male ND relatives hunt. one of them had bagged his limit for the day, but on the way home, hit and killed two bucks. (his Suburban was relatively undamaged.)

rather than trying to explain to a game warden why he had too many dead deer, he went to the processor and dropped off the ones he had, then came back.

in the 2 or 3 hours that it took to get back, someone had found the carcasses and removed the heads and capes, presumably to mount them :psyduck:

fake edit: not mount in the David Cameron sense, although who knows

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
nothing named after Altoona can be good

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

OwlFancier posted:

Isn't that just normal fascism? Or do you have to hang the pizza box upside down?

Mussolini pizza: toppings on the bottom?

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

a buddy of mine just texted me this, so I had to see it again. but that made me realize what's going on:

a lot of the places in central PA do a Sicilian pizza, which (at least the way they do it) isn't very exciting. really puffy crust and some tomato sauce.

this is Kraft Sicilian pizza.

stay tuned for more Bad Pizza Detective

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

baw posted:

it's fresh

it is alas fake

but I only know because I happened to have seen it on the intsta this morning... that's some Poe's law poo poo

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
when I was a kid, the head lunchlady at my school would get a citation every year (the good kind) from the county for being at least $500 under budget ($1200ish, adjusted for inflation)

good job saving money on the little kids' food, lady.

anyway, a bunch of kids didn't like tomatoes, so they'd give me their hamburger tomatoes. I think my record was 15 slices of rock-hard pink industrial tomato on my TVP-stretched burger.

in more cheery news, we used to get fried shrimp at my previous elementary school, which was located in a salt marsh. they never shelled the last joint of the shrimp before frying them, and that's where I got into the habit of eating the shell of said last joint (if it's fried... I'm not munching down on chitin under general circumstances).

the cafeterias at my kids' schools currently serve reheated food, nothing cooked as such. like the Olive Garden, but with sharply restricted breadsticks. and all the utensils and trays are disposable. I'm sure it saves money on lost forks and industrial dishwashers, but holy poo poo what an environmental nightmare

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

bob dobbs is dead posted:

(orig uses 듬뿍 which is not strictly formally onomatopoeia but does have an onomatopoeic gloss to it so imagine the sound of that cheese)

I categorically refuse

bob dobbs is dead posted:

now i cant stop imagining the sound of cheese

see?

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I think they were all long since changed over to modern tanks but on the very very old trains when I was in France there were signs in the toilets saying not to use them in the station, because they opened directly onto the rails

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
behold! the Forbidden Hamburger:

I had some ground beef that was getting iffy, so I mixed in as much dry clay as it could take and remain integral.

then I cooked the resulting patty in the (regular) oven so that it wouldn't start rotting before I got it into the kiln. (note the grill marks in the 2nd pic.)

after I fired it the first time (to around 1940 F), it was brittle and it smelled disconcertingly of cremated bad ground beef. it was still brittle after the second firing (to 2232 F), but at least it didn't smell anymore.

the terrible sallow color comes from natural ash glaze. I had to do several glaze firings before it absorbed enough glaze material to be less brittle.

I feel as though this is my greatest crime performed in the medium of clay (and not the goatse mugs)

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

spankmeister posted:

A cow died for that.

I think this was grocery-store ground beef, so more like dozens or hundreds...

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

spankmeister posted:

I forgot to put them into the fridge and left them out overnight, so I chucked them this morning, and I feel kinda bad about that.

quick food safety check: I would have eaten cooked sausages the next morning, depending on the type, but I would definitely have pitched any raw sausages that stayed out that long.

my food safety standards about cross-contamination are rigid, but my food safety standards about refrigeration are really loving lax. I never get sick, though.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

gleebster posted:

And more probably steers than cows.

dammit, good call

Brawnfire posted:

At worst, a cow died for nothing and you sculpted its flesh for fun

this was partly an effort to mitigate the waste, but I do hope someone does this to me when I die

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

This is one of those times where I feel ok being smugly vegetarian

eat a chickpea dipshits

that one used either grits or coffee grounds

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

spankmeister posted:

Do you do these kinds of art projects more often?

I had an ongoing series that I was calling (in my head) "gonzo inclusions." grits, coffee grounds, bone chips, whole bones, baking soda (and then vinegar slip), soil, hair, paper, probably some other things. I haven't made much over the last year, for some mysterious reason. some interesting results.

more normal food/pottery fact: regular salt actually makes a glass glaze on its own, but it's hell on electric kiln elements and (still more critically) releases chlorine gas at stoneware temperatures.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

fizzymercury posted:

I have always wondered what would happen if you wrapped an egg in clay and fired it. Thoughts?

it can't be completely enclosed or the steam will make it explode. (that goes for regular clay, too... it contains water that's chemically bound up in the clay, even when it's completely dry in normal terms, so there's got to be an escape hole for any enclosed space.)

there's calcium in the shell (obviously), but I think it'd effectively disappear. a whole egg in a bowl, say, would probably leave a weird stain. maybe I'll give it a crack (heh).

one of the items still on my list is to try egg white as a binder for glaze materials.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

holky gently caress

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

what

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I was just surprised at the Marmite, honestly

I've eaten the other stuff repeatedly, and that whole section is seafood (with the occasional land mollusk)

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

uber_stoat posted:

you go on a cooking game show, they present this stuff as your required ingredients. wyd?

UMAMI BURGERS

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

AlbieQuirky posted:

How did we even win that war? “The British forces are massed about three macaroni away, behind the big macaroni. Hit them with the macaroni.”

seems to work OK for the Smurves

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

thecluckmeme posted:

When I was a bartender I tried mixing this hypnotiq stuff with Viniq, the purple shimmery liqueur that was really popular a few years ago. Normally hypnotiq makes whatever it touches into some gross looking garbage, but the two basically cancel each other out. The drink was just white, somehow. Not fully opaque like milk, but not a gross green color. It was really weird

pastis, but for the kids!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

zedprime posted:

Sky daddy can't help you here. Hail seitan!

:golfclap: