Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

I found out only hours ago that the G3 fight in Scenario A of the original Resident Evil 2 is a complete pushover with the lovely ol' knife, and his own damage output is incredibly feeble to boot, making it all seem so very trivial. I only say this because until then I'd never really tried such melee nonsense against a 15ft tall monster with four arms, but there you go.

I mean sure he immediately morphs into G4 and proceeds to become a total loving nightmare to use the knife on for various reasons, but I'm surprised at just how easy he is to deal with before that happens.

extremebuff posted:

i found out the other day that doom has some pretty crazy random damage and I guess I just never realized it when I played as a kid. like getting hit by a revenant rocket in 2 can do 20 damage or 200 and everything inbetween
I'm being excessively pedantic by saying it's really 10 - 80dmg in increments of 10 but yeah, Classic Doom has some wild RNG poo poo going on under the hood and it adds a certain risk/reward layer to the gameplay that keeps it as such an engaging game to this day.

Shibawanko posted:

the conga line of guys you run over in the first gta are supposed to be hare krishnas. i always thought they were like football guys or something
:same:
The chant was (is) of horrible quality and still sounds like complete gibberish to my ears, as do many sports chants. I'd never even seen anything Hare Krishna-related before GTA rolled around either (except for that one zombie in Dawn of the Dead, and even then I didn't get it) so I was completely clueless as to what they really were supposed to be for a good five/six years.

HORMELCHILI posted:

It says gouranga...
Which might as well have been a made-up word meaning "ORANGE MEN!", "BINGO!" or "GOT 'EM!!" for all I knew/cared back when I was ten :v:

Not to mention running down all of them fast enough for the GOURANGA! message to appear was a stupidly rare occurrence anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

More of a tech/bug thing rather than some hidden mechanic but the strength of gravity in Doom for PlayStation is tied to the framerate! Lower framerates (encountered in such levels as MAP25 which has some horrendous slowdown) result in weaker gravity, whereas higher framerates have you hitting the ground fast. Overclocking the CPU (to keep the game running at the intended 30fps) keeps the gravity effect constant (duh), and with a somewhat higher pull than the PC original. Here I am loving around to show this bug/useless info in action. This probably has the unintended side-effect where some maps requiring ledge-leaping to progress can't be completed unless there's slowdown, but I haven't bothered testing it that much yet.

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Just found out two weeks ago there's a way to manage memory cards on the n64. You have to hold start and then turn on the n64 with a compatible game in the system. Also the memory card manager UI is different for every game
:catstare:

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

The Kins posted:

in the original design for max payne, instead of the gimmick being "going into matrix slow motion" it was "injecting a drug that temporarily transforms you into a mutant hulk". but then a publishing exec pointed out that the slow motion stuff that they'd implemented for testing visual effects and stuff was way more interesting

Jesus loving Christ.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

What the actual gently caress.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Tekken Tag Tournament (PS2)
Go bowling! If you overcharge, you get the character's KO sound... unless it's Jun Kazama. She just giggles as she flies down the Mishima Lane and gets an illegal strike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Not exactly something I've just found out, but it is something I've just been reminded of in Streets of Rage (MD/Gen):
https://i.imgur.com/v55KwhZ.mp4

Throwing the pepper shaker at any boss character will cause them to have a turbo-seizure for all of ONE second instead of the protracted (and exaggerated) period of standing around sneezing. Incredibly useless, but there you go!