Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Odd posted:

I just found out that in FF4 (FF2 in the US for awhile but not any more) that you could avoid the trap tiles in the secret dungeons, by casting float on your party. How did i not know this for 20+ years? I dunno. What other stuff have people found out about old games?

how did you get past those dungeons without that? even on easytype, i think the summoner's cave would be pretty loving brutal if you had to heal every square.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

guess i just found out soemthing about an old game, lol

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Shibawanko posted:

yeah i thought gouranga was like cowabunga

lmao

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

A Konga Line of Hare Krishnas

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Nostradingus posted:

In Mario 64, Boo's laugh is just Bowser's laugh sped up

is this true?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

starting to think if you play "so long gay bowser" backwards it tells you how to get the Triforce in ocarina of time

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I just told that to my wife and she let me know that the Poe laughs in ocarina of time are ganondorfs laugh sped up

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

insanely powerful easter eggs.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Nostradingus posted:

Not an old game, but 50 hours into Yakuza 0 I found out that your real estate security managers can join you in a fistfight in their area

there are unique heat moves you can do if they're holding a dude for you and your meter is full enough

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The Kins posted:

so does duck hunt, you can plug a controller into port 2 to control the duck

this was an extremely fun way to gently caress with people :D

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

feeling shameful reading that upon remembering that i always used the konami code for the TMNT games......

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Gestahl: Ah, General Celes. You want some magicite? Very well, all you have to do is insert this disc, and a memory card, into the Playstation... in five minutes.
Locke: What the-?! Who designed this thing? Rather take a stick in the eye than work this case!
Kefka: Uweee hee hee!!!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

lol

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

convenient so you can name about half of them "don't use this."

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Shibawanko posted:

how many houses you can build also depends on how many points you scored in the action segments so if you really want to max out your level you have to farm enemies. the game doesnt tell you about this

iirc maxing out your population doesn't extremely matter, though. you can squeeze one or two more levels out of it if you farm for points and watch for bridges, but you don't need those levels. the sim sections are mostly just there to build into areas to find new spells and other unlocks.

it's weird but when you look at sim stuff from that era like SNES sim city and counter intuitive stuff like not building roads, stacking residential areas, only building a single fire dept, etc. it's actually about par for the course.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

That Little Demon posted:

today, looking up an item in xenogears, I found out that Relm is Shadow's daughter in FF6

there are still people who will argue that this isn't true, despite the fact that game all but puts a big neon sign that says "RELM'S DAD" next to shadow during some of his dreams.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

man nurse posted:

the ballroom scene in FF 8 takes place in the cafeteria but with different angles and lighting and that never occurred to me until today.

for some reason i never thought about where that's even supposed to take place. it's just the CG movie section of the garden or whatever.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Larry Parrish posted:

The gently caress lol.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

In Training posted:

That some bosses in DQ3 invisibly regen HP after every turn.

whoa, for real? i sort of instinctively understood that being aggressive during boss fights was important but i always figured it was because the numbers were small.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

bringing the big dragon quest fold outs with all the weapons and armor and using them to draw your dudes during class ftw

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Major Isoor posted:

Also, I was reading about TES Oblivion earlier and apparently the psycho main antagonist of the Dark Brotherhood (this guy) gets super distracted and uneasy when trying to justify his actions, if you toss his mother's severed head* on the floor when you confront him and reveal his identity as the traitor in front of the other DB higher-ups.
I mean, it makes sense in a way, I suppose! I think he handles the situation rather well, given that...unexpected turn of events :D

* Which you find on a table/shrine in his house, while you search for evidence. He seems to talk to it a lot too, during his downtime.

lol yeah, i've done this. i wish skyrim dark brotherhood had been a little better about that kind of thing. most of the quests, you don't even really know why you're killing the target and it's mostly easiest to just slit their throats. in oblivion, you can usually piece out what's going on, like when you drop the deer head on the guy and it's obviously his heir. it also had fun stuff like going back to find the guy who insults you at the beginning of the game and the agatha christie house.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

The guild questlines are one of the few points where I think Skyrim is inarguably a huge step down from Oblivion (I know they're both bad etc but there's fun to be wrangled out of Skyrim if you have the brain disease that makes you look for it, imo, whereas Oblivion was miserable)

i think in the end i actually like oblivion better but it's basically unplayable without mods so i'll probably never go back to it.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

CyberPingu posted:

I really enjoyed Oblivion but it was my intro to TES so that might be why.

Skyrim fell flat and just felt like a dumbed down version of oblivion with snow effects.

oblivion was my first too which is probably why i liked it. i still liked skyrim tbh but as their games go on, it feels like they put less effort into the guilds and rely more and more on radiant quests. i swear every other quest in fallout 4 sends you to that one car factory with all the raiders.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

oh, dagger fall? cool, nice callback.....for a baby. call me when you've sampled lord Richard garriotts masterpiece, akalabeth.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I bought all five games for 25 bucks on sale once and made the mistake of starting with Arena. I actually got pretty far into it but then I saved in an impossible situation and my last save was way too far back.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Tender Bender posted:

I think some of the ways Oblivion is "worse" make it more interesting than Skyrim in hindsight now that I understand both games are heavily flawed. The hazy, incredibly generic Fantasy realm, the potato-faced dopes who float around and awkwardly babble nonsense, the janky physics, it feels like you're in a dream.

one thing that sort of works for oblivion somehow is that besides three main characters, it's like the same 10 voice actors who probably did half of it drunk in like one take. there's something about skyrim hiring way more people whose talent levels are all over the place that's off-putting. like wes johnson is there just doing his "WECOME... TO THE ARENA!" voice through a halfass filter as a dremora lord and lynda carter is doing the same, cardboard reading she always does for about half of the housecarls, but then there's like Enn Reitel and Gideon Emery giving 110 percent. also they told all the guards to do some kind of terrible accent.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

GorfZaplen posted:

Seen any...elves? Ahahahahaha!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

one of ralph cosham's lines as it's delivered definitely says "oh, i flubbed it. can i do that take again?" or something similar and they left it in the game, but i can't find it by googling and it's apparently been six years since i finished my complete playthrough of oblivion

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Bicyclops posted:

one of ralph cosham's lines as it's delivered definitely says "oh, i flubbed it. can i do that take again?" or something similar and they left it in the game, but i can't find it by googling and it's apparently been six years since i finished my complete playthrough of oblivion

i'm wrong on which actor it was but lmao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FlRClpaqEo

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

lol that both takes on the spriggans one sound like he's still trying to figure out the sentence structure

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

symbolic posted:

imagining an epic episode of Family Feud where Steve Harvey's disbelief morphs into overdramaticf shock when Pjotr turns out to be on the board for "Name a man's name starting with P"

lmao

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

lmao. between this and toylets being real, I'm going to stay away from bicycles if I ever go to japan

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

just learned that the voice actor for slippy is the same as the voice actor for kat in star fox 64.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

lol awesome

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

NienNunb posted:

I wonder what ol’ big ears will think of this

lol

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Super Mario Bros. 2

Pausing and exiting the in-game menu has a short delay that, for some reason, slowly diminishes the longer the game remains paused to the point that pressing Start after long enough will unpause the game instantly. This interesting behavior only occurs in the Japanese Super Mario Collection v1.1 and the American All-Stars + World. In both European versions, the delay when unpausing the game is always one second with the sound effect playing as soon as Start is pressed to unpause the game.

ah-HA!

you hid it for long enough, but we've got you now, Uncle at Nintendo. stop deleting your supper mario broth tweets.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I always thought it was just to make him dance.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

thank you, harold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

sort of worrying to see that WS is the one doing today's troll post about circle strafing tbh. has anyone called lyle's old home to do a wellness check recently?