Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Had him as a keeper in the Goon league. Traded Eugenio Suarez for Alex Bohm and Andrew Vaughn. Hopefully they'll rake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

so yeah I have a bit of a gambling problem lmao. Lied about my last draft being my last draft. Did another today, and will probably do one sunday. drat off days and having nothing to do.

This one went pretty well, pretty happy with it. Got some nice steals like Bogaerts at 34 and Moncada at 87. And gotta love the Haniger and Walsh and Davies picks to end it.

Moncada at 87 is nice, dunno if It's a steal tho. I don't love your starting pitching but that's personal preference, I tend to prioritize top SPs. Some risk on this roster with guys like Myers, Lynn, Hanger, but I like the upside

The Pussy Boss fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Mar 26, 2021

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Had him as a keeper in the Goon league. Traded Eugenio Suarez for Alex Bohm and Andrew Vaughn. Hopefully they'll rake.

Vaughn is getting a ton of hype especially with OF eligibility possible. Hasn't played much in the high minors tho. I'm still gonna grab him late when I can

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
Fantasy baseballing again for the first time in like...8 years? Took over somebody's team in a friend's 14 team roto keeper league. Just drafted and feeling cautiously optimistic, but wondering where the main areas of potential improvement are (starting pitching seems a little spotty). Normal 5x5 scoring (with S+H instead of S). Noted keepers along with the round they were kept at. No NA slot so may potentially drop Adell and/or Torkelson at some point but figured they were worth a late round pick/few weeks of holding in a league like this.

C S. Murphy
1B F. Freeman (K-1)
2B A. Gimenez
3B A. Rendon (K-3)
SS M. Semien
OF Y. Alvarez (K-16)
OF M. Ozuna (K-12)
OF T. Hernandez
UT K. Hayes
UT N. Senzel
BN G. Hampson
BN M. Margot
BN L. Taveras
BN J. Adell
BN S. Torkelson

P B. Woodruff (K-15)
P S. Gray (K-11)
P F. Montas (K-14)
P S. Manaea
P B. Singer
P J. Odorizzi
P A. Garrett
P B. Treinen
P Y. Garcia
P V. Gonzalez

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

that is an ungodly good team for a 14-team league. if you have any issue it's your starters. you don't have any closers really, but those come and go so quickly. you're fine.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

THIS is my last draft of the season. for reals this time.

I feel just ok about this one.

edit: it's actually sneaky good.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Mar 28, 2021

Torbo
Jun 12, 2007
Hi everyone,

Ive been playing points leagues for years, new league is H2H cat 5x5 with WHIP. I know that alot (most?) people punt at least one category. Ive gotten really good at finding players that get overlooked and are great for points leagues, but i guess im kind of wondering what to look for going in the opposite direction. Any tips appreciated, thanks!

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

I'm usually the guy that fills out his entire offense before even considering pitchers, and drafts for NSVH and Ks late, but I ended up with deGrom, Beuhler, Scherzer, Strasburg, and Hader in my top seven picks. The offense doesn't have many sexy names, but I think it can be at least functional.

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!
Is Acuña still the 1.1 pick in a league that has the normal 5 hitting cats + OPS?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

coronaball posted:

Is Acuña still the 1.1 pick in a league that has the normal 5 hitting cats + OPS?

There are 4 guys who you can easily make a compelling case for at 1.1, I might take Soto there since it's another non-SB stat but I don't think it necessarily pushes Acuna down at all.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

i would take soto in that league, no questions asked. i am taking soto 1 in standard 5x5 leagues as well to give you an idea of where i'm at with him. he has both a higher floor AND a higher ceiling than anyone else. i just can't get over that and have to take him.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

abelwingnut posted:

i would take soto in that league, no questions asked. i am taking soto 1 in standard 5x5 leagues as well to give you an idea of where i'm at with him. he has both a higher floor AND a higher ceiling than anyone else. i just can't get over that and have to take him.

I had the 1-1 pick in one league, and I took Acuna only because I wanted to try to lock in some SB but I had to really fight myself to not take Soto there. I probably should have gone with him, honestly.

EDIT: haha it was the PL staff league, of course I would try to outsmart myself there.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Mar 29, 2021

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Inspector_666 posted:

I had the 1-1 pick in one league, and I took Acuna only because it's roto and I wanted to try to lock in some SB but I had to really fight myself to not take Soto there.

my absolute favorite play in the first few rounds this year is getting soto and albies. i've managed to do it in about half my leagues and it is pure heaven. and then sometimes i'm able to get ozuna and it's just absolutely perfect.

and thinking about it now, if i wasn't taking soto first, i would take degrom.

e: i actually think i have albies in like 45 of my 50 leagues or something crazy.

abelwingnut fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Mar 29, 2021

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I'm kind of down on Albies this year, but that's got more to do with his ADP than his actual talent necessarily.

That said, 2B is tough this year so who's to say.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

abelwingnut posted:

I'm with you on Soto. He is probably the best hitter in baseball now. I traded Trout for him in the Goon Keeper league :getin: , super pumped about that. I have Soto FOREVERRRRR.

new day, new draft. 1 more $20 league tomorrow night, then that's it. Here's tonight's $5 league:

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

I'm with you on Soto. He is probably the best hitter in baseball now. I traded Trout for him in the Goon Keeper league :getin: , super pumped about that. I have Soto FOREVERRRRR.

new day, new draft. 1 more $20 league tomorrow night, then that's it. Here's tonight's $5 league:

New rule: Soto must be traded to the commissioner.

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

Thanks for the advice, I got distracted by the Bama-UCLA game and I forgot to check the thread, I ended up with Acuna.

But, the person who ended up with Soto is a Braves fan so I can easily trade with him, and maybe even have him throw in some back end reliever or bench hitter. I'll explore that tomorrow when I'm bored at work.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Death, taxes, and Nelson Cruz continuing to rake into the sunset.

Also, in my money 12-team keeper league, I have the fortune of having Soto and Trout...

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

alright, just joined my first $1k yahoo league.

they're already pretty active in the messages, so it definitely seems like a lively, active group. this should be fun.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

My FINAL ones, I swear.

$20 league from last night, and a $5 league from today. REALLY love the $5 team.

$20 team:

$5 team:

General Bullshit
Apr 20, 2020

What happened to Adalberto? How do you strain an oblique on your day off?

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

General Bullshit posted:

What happened to Adalberto? How do you strain an oblique on your day off?

And in a semi-related question, when are guys like Soroka and Sonny Gray going to be put on the IL?

General Bullshit
Apr 20, 2020

coronaball posted:

And in a semi-related question, when are guys like Soroka and Sonny Gray going to be put on the IL?

Yeah what is going on? This is very bizarre.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

General Bullshit posted:

It should happen today, teams usually wait until the last minute.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

General Bullshit posted:

not bizarre at all. most teams will put il-eligible players on the il hours before their first games start.

as for mondesi, a) never draft mondesi above like pick 150, and b):

https://twitter.com/BrettRasdall/status/1377323023984959488

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

abelwingnut posted:

as for mondesi, a) never draft mondesi above like pick 150,

Steals are hard to come by this year. Mondesi could steal 50 bags and no one else is close. Insanely valuable in a 5x5.

Also the good thing about doing a bunch of leagues is that one injury doesn't wreck your season. I'm pissed about the league where I drafted Mondesi high, but feel a little better about the leagues where I didn't get him.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Also Im fuckin ready to obsess over this poo poo for the next 6 months :dance:

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

The Pussy Boss posted:

Steals are hard to come by this year. Mondesi could steal 50 bags and no one else is close. Insanely valuable in a 5x5.

Also the good thing about doing a bunch of leagues is that one injury doesn't wreck your season. I'm pissed about the league where I drafted Mondesi high, but feel a little better about the leagues where I didn't get him.

a) he is insanely risk and always has been. anyone with that kind of risk needs to be bought at a discount, not a huge premium.
b) so long as you draft four or five guys who can steal 10 or so, you're fine. go pick up berti or gimenez way later in the draft while you focus on reliable studs.
c) he will not win you the category out right lmao. you'll still need to draft a couple of guys who can nab you 10 or so

i'm sorry, but you're never going to convince me to draft high risk/high reward guys in the top 50. and with mondesi, i don't think his reward is THAT high. if i wanted to take some high risk/high reward guy in the top 50, it'd almost certainly be a pitcher. either way, the top 50 is reserved for reliability. get riskier as the draft goes along.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I dislike Mondesi so much as a fantasy player. I think he's nigh-unrosterable in H2H.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

what a weird opinion! Is he a reliable/good hitter? Not really, but he's not a huge drain there, gets hot sometimes, and he leads the league in SB.

I know he's polarizing and i don't think you really want to draft him too early. I had him in his breakout 2018 year and opted not to keep him. but "nigh-unrosterable" in h2h? He can literally win you a category single-handedly in h2h. In my 16-team league, the average SB for a whole fantasy team in a given week is about 4. He can carry that category for you many times, I've seen him do it!

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Mar 31, 2021

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

yea, i can see a case in h2h. i just only play roto so sorry for forgetting about h2h.

i still wouldn't draft him above like...125 in h2h either. too risky and i really don't want to build around a guy like that. way, way, way easier to draft an all-around contributor in the first few rounds, then 5 or 6 guys who can reliably hit the ball and steal 5-10.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Fast Luck posted:

what a weird opinion! Is he a reliable/good hitter? Not really, but he's not a huge drain there, gets hot sometimes, and he leads the league in SB.

I know he's polarizing and i don't think you really want to draft him too early. I had him in his breakout 2018 year and opted not to keep him. but "nigh-unrosterable" in h2h? He can literally win you a category single-handedly in h2h. In my 16-team league, the average SB for a whole fantasy team in a given week is about 4. He can carry that category for you many times, I've seen him do it!

The average is 4 SB so I would rather get guys who are actually capable hitters and try to win weeks with 5-6. "Nigh-unrosterable" may be hyperbolic but he gets taken in the first what, 5 rounds? For a guy who may very well actively hurt you in every non-SB offensive category in any given week? No thanks.

EDIT: Ragging on Mondesi has also, I will admit, become something of a gimmick for me but it's so easy.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Mar 31, 2021

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
One good thing about Mondesi in H2H is sometimes you'll be winning steals like 4-0 on Thursday because of him so you can bench him and play better AVG/HR guys.

Also he was coming off shoulder surgery at the start of last season so that might've been why he started off so slow. I definitely think he was ranked way too high based on his past performance, but I kept him for pretty cheap. Just because you own him doesn't mean you drafted him near the 5th round.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Schweinhund posted:

One good thing about Mondesi in H2H is sometimes you'll be winning steals like 4-0 on Thursday because of him so you can bench him and play better AVG/HR/R/RBI guys.

Also he was coming off shoulder surgery at the start of last season so that might've been why he started off so slow. I definitely think he was ranked way too high based on his past performance, but I kept him for pretty cheap. Just because you own him doesn't mean you drafted him near the 5th round.

ftfy

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

I lean into the majority here in that it's much better, in my opinion, to draft a bunch of guys who can run a little bit and contribute than to take a one-category steals guy who is a horrendous hitter. When Mondesi is cold he's SO BAD and offers negative value in every other category, essentially.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Just finished this draft. 7 keepers a year. I like my pitching but I'll probably have to grab a catcher since Kirk is starting the season as a backup...

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Plague ball!

https://twitter.com/Buster_ESPN/status/1377638903126065152

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

It’ll be funny as hell if it’s Lindor after signing that contract.

Edit: I guess it was announced last night a Nats player tested positive.

jabro fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Apr 1, 2021

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

jabro posted:

It’ll be funny as hell if it’s Lindor after signing that contract.

I get your sentiment but I don't hope he or anyone else has a potentially serious or even fatal disease.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Had my yearly auction draft. 12 team league 6x6 with NSV and k/9. I'm happy.