Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Accuracy 20% and a main gun that lobs explosive shells. gently caress yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

SniperWoreConverse posted:

this tiny shrine will hold them in memory forever
~rest in peace~
Electric Hobo: survived a hail of rockets to the face, but died from the mortal wounds.
Butterfly Valley: died to murderworm rampage.
best bale: fatally sucked.

Beautiful, my soul is at peace. My ghost will still roam the X-COM bases, but it won't be malicious.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWtPu_gFrvU

Alright we're up on the home field of the MEGATRIBE WARRIORS, and we gotta dunk on these fuckin' aliens. It's a big, multilevel area, so, poo poo.

This time I'm going to have the troops conserve their stamina instead of getting exhausted by running non stop from the get-go. Hopefully if there's a brainsucker they'll be able to fight it off.

Beef makes first contact, but isn't going to be fast enough to take it out if it tries to escape, so i have all the other squaddies haul rear end to try and cover

This place is a loving mess of stairs and locker rooms and weight training and all kinds of annoying bullshit. Luckily it didn't notice us. There's more than just the one, though, and I split off Grundma & Chillgamesh to try and track it down with the scanner.

This was pointless, cause they're all grouped together real nice:
https://i.imgur.com/p33a7Gh.gifv
We need to get more guns on this. Diplomat spots another weird pink one, but it doesn't seem mobile (no scanner sig) so we keep running. We can always sweep back around and kill it.

I semi-successfully pincer the aliens, but there's a hidden enemy!
https://i.imgur.com/yXaCFDK.gifv
If i had been thinking i would have set a stun grenade to go off at the end of the turn and that frag to go off directly after, smdh i gotta get my head in the game. Lobotomy escapes incredible acid damage.

We try and maneuver around, staying out of range from the alien spit, and still trying to land shots. Beef, who is a loving psycho, takes the shot even though Ole's in the blast radius.
https://i.imgur.com/d2CaxKc.gifv

The rest of the team makes it and we're going to try and trap 'em. I got HW with the stun grapple, cause if these get KO'd they hopefully won't vomit worms.
https://i.imgur.com/mWGqODy.gifv
Somehow, it works, and we're able to take out both slugs by knocking them out. They have a ton of health, and they're sneaky and able to hide easily, but they're also slow, have low range, and seem dumb as gently caress. If that far worm that Ole and Beef were tangling with didn't get... sluggish because of the gas, at least they could have detonated any worms.

In this game the way it works is "stun" is something you can have that slowly ticks down over time, and if it's ever higher than your current HP you're knocked out. Helmets reduce stun from gas, but not perfectly. So one way to knock out enemies is apply some stun and then shoot them until they're so weak they can't take it and pass out.

Decent mission. Nobody died, even if one shot would have killed Lobotomy. We're down to 6 ambulatory agents now. Hopefully we can avoid combat until we have more recruits or our wounded guys are back on their feet.

It's the beginning of day 2, btw. jesus i hope this doesn't turn out to be an insane slog.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal
Haha those tanks suck because no matter how much armor they have its way less than the road it's driving on. If a UFO misses and hits the road, the road is wrecked and the tank dies instantly.

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

Sell the tanks, start working on a swarm of hoverbikes with 40mm cannons and good engines. They’re good enough to take down the UFOs we’re seeing right now, their small size makes them hard to hit, and when we lose one or two anyway it won’t be a big setback. The cannons are weak enough that missed shots usually don’t cause city damage, while also having a high rate of fire and decent accuracy.

e: Another factor is that unless you get lucky with the ufo placenment, they might be gone already before a single tank can reach them. A bunch of hoverbikes waiting in buildings across the city can intercept anything.

HBar fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Feb 23, 2021

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Biology does some good, and now we can get engineering on outfitting our stuff.

Intel indicates no aliens detected at all, and Plumps and Chrs are fully repaired and reloaded.

BTW Lobotomy had literally 1 HP left and that exact 1 hp was training gains. Very lucky.

The cops do a terror attack against one of the gangs, I missed catching the footage. Probably the gov will deduct it from our pay, claiming it was aliens.

Physics comes through with more information about CODENAME EGG

They immediately begin work on CODENAME PILE. All nerds are at 100% capacity doing the only research we have samples for, and the only manufacture we have blueprints for.

Day two is complete, so far, so good. The higher we can get this # the more money we can get. This is called capitalism, number is very important.

Security stations are online and we're on our way to moving all facilities outside the restricted zone. Walrus is fit for duty, and Jihad Joe will be healed up soon. Lobotomy is going to take a couple days still. Biotransport module equipped, so our guys can safely retrieve specimens. Cash going down so we're just gonna start selling these off like crazy.

SavageMessiah posted:

Haha those tanks suck because no matter how much armor they have its way less than the road it's driving on. If a UFO misses and hits the road, the road is wrecked and the tank dies instantly.

I modded the game so that roads can't reasonably be destroyed unless they're bridges, bridges are still death traps and almost all the roads on this map seem to be bridges. It's still dumb as gently caress that the tank can't drive offroad even though it's described as an offroad vehicle. You also can't just leave it out parked and turned off and if they're outside a building they're idling and will run out of space gas. You were supposed to be able to recover wrecked vehicles and try to repair them, which would be a game changer for UFO fighting tactics, but it got cut.

Nothing happens. We apparently did so good killing aliens that we've got some breathing space for once.

Biology finishes up all their work, and HBar and TK-42-1 are hired. HBar is an ex-gang member, Tk used to work at the very luxury apartments we inspected for our 3rd mission.

Politically the cops and government are pleased with our work and have upgraded to Allied, so they'll actively work against our enemies.

These guys have become unfriendly, I don't know if it's cult influence or what, but we haven't had any real interactions with them. Possibly we accidentally shot up some of their property, but I don't believe so.

PROJECT PILE complete. The only nerds working now are the engineers, we just don't have anything to move forwards on. I'm not gonna keep posting the score charts but the rest of the day is completely uneventful and nothing else happens.

Two of the political parties, The Technocrats and Extropians, start raiding each other, like how we raided the Cult.

HBar posted:

Sell the tanks, start working on a swarm of hoverbikes with 40mm cannons and good engines. They’re good enough to take down the UFOs we’re seeing right now, their small size makes them hard to hit, and when we lose one or two anyway it won’t be a big setback. The cannons are weak enough that missed shots usually don’t cause city damage, while also having a high rate of fire and decent accuracy.

e: Another factor is that unless you get lucky with the ufo placenment, they might be gone already before a single tank can reach them. A bunch of hoverbikes waiting in buildings across the city can intercept anything.

Before i could do this, the peace is broken.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
It turns out for some reason Imgur is adding in extra letters to the urls. It's not u4rie0Lh, they're adding on some bullshit and it makes the embeds not work.
http://i.imgur.com/u4rie0L.mp4
The gates moved on me and Mozi ended up having to 1v2 aliens that were too strong. Starblade INSTANTLY took out like 3 though, although it was with heavy support from Chrs and Plumps. You can see for a brief second an absolute shitload of gunfire coming up off the road.

Mozi barely made it and luckily will survive to do this all again. This is actually a decent outcome because while it would have been better to totally wreck every single UFO, this ground mission is our first one with biological recovery and the more aliens we can get the better. Plus it's insanely obvious the target was the Nutrivend.

For some reason we've got another unfriendly:

I don't know, it may because they're allied with sanctuary clinic, but none of their buildings has been close to the action.

In the meantime our target is Cultivator One:

If we can get there fast enough and avoid blowing up the place we could be on really good footing. It's nearly all hands on deck -- Lobotomy will hold down the fort.

The Lobotomy Kid
Aug 27, 2011

and act like a nut.
The Sanctuary Clinic are mad at us because my survival proves that nanotech is garbage and all you need for a long life is hard work and a good attitude.

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

You're not allowed to crumble unless I say so.
Biker Gang Doom Patrol

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

"procreation park"
Mega-Primus gently caress Barn
get you some

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

Don't worry, like they say " It's all good! "

Sign me up as a rookie please

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLVe-__eClY

Huge map, hugely vertical, a big problem is that the buildings are incredibly fragile and expensive, so if they cave in due to high explosives we could get crushed. We immediately make contact:
https://i.imgur.com/1Z8e2jw.gifv
Next target has to be that blue guy, we can't afford any more brainsuckers. Except lol it ran directly into falling glass and knocked itself out.
https://i.imgur.com/fnvcIEr.gifv
NO! NOOOOOOOO WHAT THE gently caress
Both Chillgamesh and Grundma have been brainsucked!
Should have deployed smoke to mask our approach.

Jihad, deploy gas, everyone shoot, no, just gas everything
http://i.imgur.com/S1iz7V5.gifv
oh god nobody knows how to throw poo poo or aim at all. Ok Joe landed that he can probably land more grenades.
https://i.imgur.com/2S6yyjH.gifv
Just AOE everything. Christ that's a lot of broken glass. Drop smoke and hope for the best.
https://i.imgur.com/gucsdKV.gifv
AOE worked. Knocked out Chill and Grundma, and knocked out he slug. Other team is able to get smoke on the pinks and KO the other slug. Hopefully this is it. Walrus will guard the ko'd guys while everyone else moves to support.
https://i.imgur.com/Mm0lMmG.gifv
Catastrophe. Absolute worst mission yet.

At least biology has their work cut out for them. I was going to have you guys vote for the project but I accidentally clicked one so we're going to research the slug first. If you start research it removes that item from inventory and if you cancel you don't get it back. I only saved one of each kind of alien and shoveled all the rest into the incinerator along with our poor brainsucked heroes. We don't have a way to stop what happens when you get brainsucked, and they stay mentally infiltrated by the aliens.

~rest in peace~
Electric Hobo: survived a hail of rockets to the face, but died from the mortal wounds.
Chillgamesh: sucked.
Grundma: sucked.

Pattern of chronic sucking here in XCOM.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

SniperWoreConverse fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Feb 23, 2021

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
what does not kill me only makes me stronger!

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010
Hm so many dead already, if this continues I might actually make it into this. Sign me up as a gunner or whatever.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Why do all the aliens in this game look like something that just pooped out or like really badly made fruitcakes

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Can you deploy tanks on infantry missions and if so can I just run over the brainsuckers to death

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

~rest in peace~
Chillgamesh: sucked.
Grundma: sucked.

Bring me my blade! I am ready to avenge them.

Ballbot5000
Dec 13, 2008

Fabricati diem, pvnc.
:sickos:

gently caress I really love Xcom 1 and 3 (Jesus Christ gently caress TFtD) I'm actually psyched this is back up. Forward!

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.
Holy poo poo can i please be an agent? And i might have to find a way to play this.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

I'll take a number to hop in the old xcom corpsegrinder. Sign me up for whatever works. Thanks for the thread, Sniper!

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Whenever you get around to it, I'd like a spin as an agent. Looking forward to an unexpected sixer in the near future.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
God this makes me wish Xenonauts 2 was out.

Volunteering for brain sucking!

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
why the gently caress are laser nerds like me researching ships that are made of gross flesh make the bioboys do that :barf:

Yvershek
Nov 15, 2000

and there are no
diamonds in the
mine

Kitfox88 posted:

why the gently caress are laser nerds like me researching ships that are made of gross flesh make the bioboys do that :barf:

Because they go VROOOM. Will be the same reason when you start finding the alien's sex toys.

Deadbeat Poetry
Mar 6, 2004

Sorry if my costume scared you

Jihad Joe posted:

gently caress I really love Xcom 1 and 3 (Jesus Christ gently caress TFtD) I'm actually psyched this is back up. Forward!

Didn't TFtD have the opposite bug that 1 did, where it was always on Ultra-loving Hard? Whereas if you ever saved the game in 1 it lowered it to easy?

SavageMessiah posted:

Mega-Primus gently caress Barn

mods change my name plz

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

Skulk Hogan posted:

Holy poo poo can i please be an agent? And i might have to find a way to play this.
It's on Steam for :fivecbux: or GOG for $6, and sometimes it goes on sale for $1-2. To get it to run well you might need to tinker with the dosbox configuration file and make it do the full installation instead of the default minimum installation, there are guides and discussion threads about it on Steam.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Deadbeat Poetry posted:

Didn't TFtD have the opposite bug that 1 did, where it was always on Ultra-loving Hard? Whereas if you ever saved the game in 1 it lowered it to easy?

iirc in TFtD it wasnt a bug: the game was simply designed to be loving insanely difficult because nobody had discovered the XCom 1 difficulty glitch and everyone thought it was just way too easy

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

It took me years as a child but I beat tftd. gently caress the flying brain things that zombified your dudes, that poo poo was bullshit.

I think there was also a patch that meant you didn't explicitly need a live lobsterman navigator to progress because 1) I don't think this was mentioned anywhere so gently caress knows how you were supposed to work it out 2) tazing lobstermen was hard enough as it was and there was no way to tell if they were a navigator or not so you had to keep trying until you got lucky.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Pity that OpenApoc is nowhere near as completed as OpenXcom, which is near perfect.
I'd like to see what sort of stuff people would mod in, maybe even go beyond the insanely ambitious original plan for Apocalypse.

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

I always give XCom another go when these fun threads come up, but I am garbage at them and it makes me mad at myself. I'm playing Xcom 2 (new one) currently, are there any good Let's Plays of that or anything because I am being poo poo on constantly and am only getting anywhere through save scumming.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Olewithmilk posted:

I always give XCom another go when these fun threads come up, but I am garbage at them and it makes me mad at myself. I'm playing Xcom 2 (new one) currently, are there any good Let's Plays of that or anything because I am being poo poo on constantly and am only getting anywhere through save scumming.

I'm actually watching Jade Star's LP of that right now, would recommend.

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Would love to be an agent if thats cool?

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Yvershek posted:

Because they go VROOOM. Will be the same reason when you start finding the alien's sex toys.

exciting avenues borne of brainsucker research

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
I played XCOM, Tftd, and Apocalypse a ton when I was a kid, but I've never completed any of them. The only XCOM game that I've ever won? Interceptor, for some reason.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Why do all the aliens in this game look like something that just pooped out or like really badly made fruitcakes

years and years ago the guy who took the concept art and made it into battle sprites wrote a little blurb on his website saying the green slug was his worst professional work ever done.

They were trying to go for creatures that were much more alien than UFO or TFTD and it does give the impression of this totally weird kind of lifeforms that are from an entirely different dimension, but mostly they just look like moldy playdough

RBA Starblade posted:

Can you deploy tanks on infantry missions and if so can I just run over the brainsuckers to death

no, and one of the things i was always disappointed in was that vehicles don't show up in the battlescape at all, you don't even have to abort mission and get to the chopper, you just need to leave the combat zone and the rest is abstracted.

Angry Diplomat posted:

Bring me my blade! I am ready to avenge them.

the blade is not on the market and if we want to obtain one we need to figure out who has it and raid them. That missile launcher and psiclone and all that, none of that stuff is available to buy atm.

Jihad Joe posted:

TFTD was my favorite for years but at this point I'm pretty sure I've played more apoc. Playing apoc now is just... very low quality of life, and TFTD was so much worse. I still think it was better than UFO because the graphics etc.

Angry Diplomat posted:

iirc in TFtD it wasnt a bug: the game was simply designed to be loving insanely difficult because nobody had discovered the XCom 1 difficulty glitch and everyone thought it was just way too easy

Some of the things they did to up the difficulty were just weird artifical poo poo like "ok mission complete, look at the ammo clips. How many are not completely full? Delete those. All the ones on the ground count as full."

And then they totally failed to add in the gear from the first game. They already had it so that certain weapons only function under water, but they didn't make lasers or plasma work only above water. They could have kept all the same assets even, maybe just do another pass over to update the style some.

By popular demand posted:

Pity that OpenApoc is nowhere near as completed as OpenXcom, which is near perfect.
I'd like to see what sort of stuff people would mod in, maybe even go beyond the insanely ambitious original plan for Apocalypse.

Yeah, I feel like if there was a way to get the old alpha version the devs had, openapoc would get a good boost. Supposedly there was some mystic holy grail chunk of source code, or maybe just an executable, that had a ton of cut features even tho they were nowhere finished and bugged to hell.

I mean even one of the screenshots on the back of the box had a pic of agents climbing up over stuff. There was supposed to be water and everything. A bunch of aliens got cut. Some types of missions got cut. They were planning on releasing expansion packs with extra dimensions, all kinds of crazy stuff.

Those panic grenades from chimera squad are partially implemented in the game now, if you flip some bits there's a way to make weapons do direct psionic damage, but it doesn't really work. E: apparently i hallucinated that grenade and it's not in chimera?? They don't even have night missions, which is a terrible oversight.

One thing i always thought would be cool is that this game has no real functional way to do the old style blaster bombs -- there's no artillery strike. It'd be potentially amazing to be able to call in an airstrike into a combat zone and when you do it you pick one of the weapons that is equipped to one of the vehicles that are currently at the mission, and it'd shoot into the actual battlefield. It'd give you a sense of how powerful those guns are compared to what a dude could carry. In the version of the game where you still had pilots maybe you need to keep the pilot in the vehicle to do it, and the accuracy is based on that agent's stats. But the fact that you can have any arbitrary combo of vehicles and agents would complicate the hell out of this, and most combat zones are internal and have no access to the outside at all. Most combat maps are a tiny portion of the actual building you're in.

Alright i think i got the new recruits on the list. If you said "put me in as whatever" you probably are going to end up as some kind of researcher just because there's like 25 goons in line for hardcore brainsucking and we're at most only going to get one or two agents recruited per in game day.

SniperWoreConverse fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Feb 24, 2021

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

some kind of researcher

*sticks a protein bar in some alien sludge, takes a bite, and scribbles on a notepad*

tastes bad try again tomorrow

Grundma
Mar 26, 2007

DOG controls your destiny. Seek out three items of his favor and then seek his shrine.
I'm so sorry that I died

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Grundma posted:

I'm so sorry that I died

it's ok we'll all be dead soon

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

We all can't get what we want.
*stands Ol' Smokey up, then kneels down*
But we can get what we deserve.

Adbot