Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

My favourite speedrunning story from the Persona series is definitely in P3 FES. It's a long-rear end speedrun, it was at like 20 hours or something? Then they discovered a glitch where you can skip the final boss by starting Tanaka's social link on the last day, due to I guess an oversight, as none of your social links are meant to be available on the last day. So you start the social link with him, time passes, and you skip the day of the final boss fight, meaning you can skip Tartarus almost entirely in the speedrun. I think this immediately cut like 7 or 8 hours off the run.

Now the funny part is, how did they discover this glitch? They just happened upon a post by some random dude on GameFAQs from 2008. https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/937269-shin-megami-tensei-persona-3-fes/43314594

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

I really wanna play P3 but I'm just not digging the visual novel style of P3P. I feel like I'm missing a lot of gags and silliness by not having the 3D environments. On the other hand, I left my team members on AI for a while and I'm surprised at how consistently bad they are. (We could have ended this fight ages ago Yukari, stop one moring the same drat bird.)

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The AI is mostly fine if you use the tactics system properly. I never had problems.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

RillAkBea posted:

I really wanna play P3 but I'm just not digging the visual novel style of P3P. I feel like I'm missing a lot of gags and silliness by not having the 3D environments. On the other hand, I left my team members on AI for a while and I'm surprised at how consistently bad they are. (We could have ended this fight ages ago Yukari, stop one moring the same drat bird.)
If you really can't deal with AI control, assuming you're emulating codes exist to let you control them.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The AI isn't great but using tactics can help, and the game is balanced around the bad AI. I personally kinda liked not having party member control in Persona 3 once I got used to it. It was an interesting way to reinforce that you are the protagonist and can't directly control anyone else, only give them general orders. Overall I still prefer the Persona 4/5 style, especially with Persona 5's really slick combat system, but for Persona 3 specifically it kinda works.

But like Gaius Marius pointed out, there are also mods out there for FES if you're emulating that'll let you directly control party members instead.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Considering he's actually playing P3P and not vanilla or FES, he should just turn Direct Commands on because they limited the AI commands you can give in Portable.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Oh right, I just meant that if he wanted to switch to FES for a non-visual novel approach.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It seems clear he's vacillating between which version to play, and gave so control a shot to see how it worked in practice before moving to fes.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The other thing to be aware of in FES is, IIRC, you don't have all your tactics options available from the start and unlock more as you go. So the AI will be at its dumbest early on because there are certain orders you can't give them yet.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Oh, I see. Well, FES has more AI options that you unlock, so that's something to consider.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

I've had the Hollow Forest theme playing in my head on and off all day. That song is haunting.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Also don't bother with ai in four they gutted the ai controls so it's become pretty much worthless.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah in 4 and 5 they didn't bother to implement the level of AI control you get in 3, so you are definitely meant to use direct control.

I'm almost curious about the AI in 5. Is it smart enough to use Technicals? Does it ever Baton Pass?

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Well if there's at least better ways to direct the AI in FES then I'll probably go looking for copy tomorrow. I didn't mind the AI most of the time, it was just the rare incidences when a battle could have been over a lot earlier with direct commands.

I originally chose P3P just because I find it a lot easier to work handhelds into my schedule than sitting down at a TV or computer screen. Unfortunately though, having played P4 and 5 before though, the VN style feels somehow wrong.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

It's odd to me that they haven't rushed to port Persona games to Switch because the style and pacing of these games are fantastic for handhelds. It's easy to pick up, play a few days of in-game time or a few dungeon floors, then save and feel like you had a nice little game session.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Harrow posted:

It's odd to me that they haven't rushed to port Persona games to Switch because the style and pacing of these games are fantastic for handhelds. It's easy to pick up, play a few days of in-game time or a few dungeon floors, then save and feel like you had a nice little game session.

I'm secretly hoping that with the Nocturne port most of the leg work has been done for the PS2 era and it's just a matter of time.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Harrow posted:

Yeah in 4 and 5 they didn't bother to implement the level of AI control you get in 3, so you are definitely meant to use direct control.

I'm almost curious about the AI in 5. Is it smart enough to use Technicals? Does it ever Baton Pass?

Caveat: I'm still only on the 2nd palace in 5R. But I set Morgana on auto-control during the tutorial because I didn't realize full control was expected, and honestly he's been so good that I haven't bothered turning it off.

Having not changed anything about his AI he just Garus poo poo if everyone's healthy, heals anyone who drops below half-health (seemingly as an overriding preference), will prioritize exploiting weaknesses, and will baton pass to whoever else has an ability that can hit a weakness on a still-standing enemy if he can't exploit it himself. He even spread slingshot-rounds across a group of pixes to knock them all out of the air.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Feb 24, 2021

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Squiggle posted:

Caveat: I'm still only on the 2nd palace in 5R. But I set Morgana on auto-control during the tutorial because I didn't realize full control was expected, and honestly he's been so good that I haven't bothered turning it off.

Having not changed anything about his AI he just Garus poo poo, heals anyone who drops below half-health (seemingly as an overriding preference), actively exploits weaknesses, and will baton pass to whoever else has an ability that can hit a weakness on a still-standing enemy if he can't exploit it himself. He even spread slingshot-rounds across a group of pixes to knock them all out of the air.

Wow, that's significantly better than I expected.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

On one hand I believe all the Atlus ps2 games run on the same engine so It's a good trial run for them, on the other hand mainline persona hasn't been on a non sony console since the PC port of Persona 1, and it seems japanese companies value these kinds of handshake deals a bit more than most western ones. So I'd expect to see Digital Devil Story and maybe Raidou before Persona 3,4,5 on switch

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

The biggest problem with the ps2 variant of persona games is how poo poo the balance is.

Persona 3 on PS2 is practically unplayable and in Persona 4 there are squad members that are absolutely useless.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Harrow posted:

Wow, that's significantly better than I expected.

If there's any weakness, I'd say: he may heal somebody when he could probably kill something to end a fight, and... sometimes he ball-hogs if he can down the entire group with his own abilities? But even that might just come down to his abilities being cheaper than someone else's.

EDIT: Oh! and he DOES exploit Technicals. If I sleep fuckers with Ann, he'll punch them down if I haven't hit them with anything else by the time it gets back around to him.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Feb 24, 2021

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

P3 is perfectly playable. It's not even hard.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah P3 plays fine. If being unable to control your party is a dealbreaker than yeah, that's a big problem, but otherwise it's really not that bad.

They definitely weren't very good at party member balance in the PS2 era, though. There are multiple party members in both P3 and P4 that just aren't useful at all.

I'm very thankful for the buffs Naoto got in P4G because she rules and I'm glad it's actually helpful to have her in the party in Golden.

Squiggle posted:

If there's any weakness, I'd say: he may heal somebody when he could probably kill something to end a fight, and... sometimes he ball-hogs if he can down the entire group with his own abilities? But even that might just come down to his abilities being cheaper than someone else's.

EDIT: Oh! and he DOES exploit Technicals. If I sleep fuckers with Ann, he'll punch them down if I haven't hit them with anything else by the time it gets back around to him.

That's pretty rad, actually. I didn't really expect the AI to be good enough for that, although enemies are smart enough to technical so I it makes sense party members would be, too. Could be kind of fun to mess around with AI the next time I'm tooling around Mementos.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

God Naoto was so bad in vanilla P4 which sucks because she’s my favorite.

Also Chie basically being a worse version of Teddie, and Yukiko being insanely OP.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Naoto in vanilla P4 is good at murdering trash mobs...and nothing else. She can't even murder Golden Hands.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm glad Kanji finally got Power Charge in Golden to let him actually take advantage of his stat advantage over Chie.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

RillAkBea posted:

Well if there's at least better ways to direct the AI in FES then I'll probably go looking for copy tomorrow. I didn't mind the AI most of the time, it was just the rare incidences when a battle could have been over a lot earlier with direct commands.

I originally chose P3P just because I find it a lot easier to work handhelds into my schedule than sitting down at a TV or computer screen. Unfortunately though, having played P4 and 5 before though, the VN style feels somehow wrong.

I had the same reaction, but enjoyed the hell out of doing a femc replay after playing FES.

Honestly every persona game before 4 needs to be re-released imo. P1 is fine on PSP but the music is a loving crime, P2 really just needs the PSP version of EP localized, but P3 needs FES and P3P merged somehow which is a nightmare.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I am thou,
Thou art I,
No P5 on PC
Makes me cry

:smith:

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Songbearer posted:

I am thou,
Thou art I,
No P5 on PC
Makes me cry

I Paul-Rudd-Wet-Hot-American-Summer-Cafeteria-Scene it every time I have to move to my couch to play P5.

A talking coyote
Jan 14, 2020

Remote play works pretty well on pc. There’s a slight delay but there’s no twitch moments in P5 anyway.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

anakha posted:

I've had the Hollow Forest theme playing in my head on and off all day. That song is haunting.

It's an unbelievably great song.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Just started Strikers and Joker is stone cold.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
So it occurred to me the other day that I didn't properly finish P4G. Like I never finish Persona games even though I adore this series but I think I got a bad ending with the intent of going back.

Well time to go back now right? It's like dec-march or something no problem. So I charged up my vita and... my save is corrupt :negative:

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
P3 is frustrating more then hard because sometimes it pulls rough punches when you aren’t prepared. Part of it comes from light and Dark attacks in those games being insta-kills and sometimes the odds aren’t in your favor and you forget to save.

Also wanted to share this here. Took my daughter (4 year old) out for a drive and Last Surprise played on my phone. Cue me towards the end of the song hearing a toddler going “Ooooooohhhhhhhhh” along with Lyn. :kimchi:

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ibram Gaunt posted:

The AI is mostly fine if you use the tactics system properly. I never had problems.

P3P's isn't the same as P3/FES, it's more limited in what you can say and kinda bad.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I see they took the opportunity in P5R to fix the REAL thing that was missing from P5: a "haha this is a woman and she can't cook" character

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Songbearer posted:

I am thou,
Thou art I,
No P5 on PC
Makes me cry

No P4G on PS4 or PS5 makes me cry.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I never found vanilla P4 hard enough to punish me for using a suboptimal party, even on hard. Naoto felt like she struggled to keep up, true, but if you really love her, having someone on designated item duty already happens in like half the boss fights anyways. Really, much more often I felt like if I was getting my rear end kicked, it was because of my Personas, not my party's.

Edit: And it's really hard to complain about someone who rocks Mind Charge + Megidola(on). She's gonna burn through SP quick (75 SP every two turns is not cheap), but hot drat is she gonna leave a dent in the mean time. And Soul Food/Soma exists for a reason.

Edit 2: Doesn't she actually lose access to Mind Charge in Golden? I'd argue that's actually a pretty huge nerf. Ooh, boy, Makarakarn, that absolutely makes up for her new awkward and unfocused skill list that requires bike dates to even do what it's supposed to do. Give me back Mind Charge/Megidola/Megidolaon/Vorpal Blade/Mahamaon/Mamudoon/Hama Boost/Mudo Boost.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Feb 25, 2021

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Naoto gets Mind Charge from her Social Link in Golden, not natively from leveling. She can also get all 3 levels of Invigorate from it, which is great for SP management.

And then she was broken in Persona Q.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

iirc it goes from being something she gets via level up to something she gets at SL...4 I think.