Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

The green and blue borders look really similar sometimes, they might actually be blue. Also make sure you run into them dead-center without stopping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

The game loses so much when you strip out the environments and modeled scenes, I'm very baffled by people suggesting P3P over FES if you have the choice.
The Female social links are also a total mixed bag just like the male ones, it has a rather outsized reputation on these forums

Agree 100%, P3P is absolutely the best in gameplay terms so it's ideal for replays but I wouldn't recommend it for a first time experience, I believe the animations, exploration of the town and the male MC's mood all make for a more immersive story.
And yeah, I also think the Female MC's social links are a bit overrated, sure there are plenty of good ones, specially those that let us see a new side of the already existing characters, but I don't think they're better on average than the male ones, the new characters' are specially disappointing, with Hermit being like the one social link in the franchise that makes you wonder if you somehow got a "bad ending" when you finish it.

Gaius Marius posted:

I banned myself from using it in Royale, There's a ton of cool NPC's you miss out on if you fast travel. Another example of Dev's giving gamers too much power

I remember I started that game with the same conviction, but then Shibuya's station layout crushed it to bits.

Petiso fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Mar 30, 2021

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Teddie isn't even that bad in the base game, where his flirting is more innocent and not as centralizing for his character, it's the spinoff games and extra content that flanderize him into an anime dirty old man stereotype.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Lots is being said about Shadow Okumura's fight in P5 (specially Royal), and I understand the "official" strat for the big robot is not curing the Hunger status, but I haven't seen anyone mention that the guy is actually vulnerable to the Forget status (and with Makajama+Forget Boost it seems to work almost every time). I don't know why I decided to try it but it's really easy to cheese it that way.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Yes, that was a P5R change, in P5 that social link is one of those that advance automatically during key scenes of the main plot so all the scenes where you hang out with him are new.

EDIT: Wow, you people type fast.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

You don't need to worry about it, then. That's as far as you can rank it up before its deadline.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

The P4 anime also had the advantage of adapting a PS2 game, so just seeing the story fully animated was a novel enough experience from the original content.

On the other hand, P5 is one of the nicest looking games out there so the anime just can't do it justice. Going the cheap route and reusing the game's 3D models for the bosses and other stuff doesn't exactly help.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Also are these phone convos after confidants new?

They are, yes. They give you a chance to scratch some extra SL points if you choose the correct answer.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

I went with Gun-Haru in vanilla but Psi-Haru on Royal since I played the last one in Merciless and wanted to take full advantage of technical damage.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

On Merciless the fight felt somewhat unfair lol since the first phase was basically me trying to RNG not getting wiped on Turn 1, but it did feel pretty satisfying to stabilize and phase 2 was just slow and steady to the finish line.

That first phase was the only time in my Merciless run I had to ask for help.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

quote:

Alternatively, the fan translation for the PSX version calls it "K'rear end-u-gay-ama High".

This caught me off-guard :lol:

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

YaketySass posted:

Is that a dinosaur on the Virgin Mary Persona?

Serious answer: it's common to portray Mary stepping on a snake/lizard/dragon as a symbol of triumph over evil.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Almost a year... It's done

Congrats!

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Regarding Teddie, remember there's going to be a big difference of perception between someone who has only played vanilla P4, where his flirtation mostly remains on the innocent side, and people who played P4G and other spinoff titles where they went full "anime dirty old man" with him.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

"Should they bring FES or Portable?" has been a constant discussion topic between fans since they launched P4G on Steam and it's pretty clear there's no definitive answer.

Sure they could've made a remake with the best of both worlds but honestly I'd rather they use those resources and manpower to develop new games.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

P5 had the same fast forward effect, didn't it?

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

That reminds me, it always bothered me how in P3 answering correctly in class raised your charm but they changed it to raising your knowledge in subsequent games.

That makes no sense! You aren't acquiring new knowledge, you're showcasing knowledge you already had!

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

DanielCross posted:

Whatever your feelings on it, Arena establishes that The Answer happened at least, since Elizabeth and Aigis are already familiar (not to mention Erebus showing up in Elizabeth's story mode)

Also Aigis belonging to the Fool arcana.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

It's mostly that it's incredibly badly timed, immediately after an arc that involved the same girl getting sexually harassed. Without that it'd had been fine for the most part, the dozens of layers of clothes to stall for time gag is genuinely funny.

I'd say the first arc is so grounded and has a tone so different from the rest that it's possible they were written so far apart nobody really connected the dots about how bad it blended together until it was too late in production. Not that I think anyone lost any sleep because of that.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

There's probably an argument to be made that brainwashing anyone for almost ay crime is immoral.

Which I think is the opinion the Thieves settle on in the end,, if I'm remembering right, anyway.

It didn't seem to me as brainwashing. The way the "stealing the treasures/corrupted desires" is explained, it's closer to waking them from a drunken stupor, you're not turning a bad person into a good person, they're still bad people that for the first time in years are able to see themselves and their actions with clarity once the source of their obsession has been removed. Like, if you also removed their memories of all of it, they'd act the same if they developed the same or a new obsession.

Or maybe that's what I want to believe, else it'd be way too hosed up, even for someone like Kamoshida.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Sydin posted:

Just finished up Okumura's palace and man it's kinda incredible how even after being dramatically shortened in Royal from the vanilla version, it's still way too goddamn long.

I'm enjoying the replay overall but man there are some palaces where I'm just getting absolutely fed up with the padding and blitzing them with no care for stealth. Palace 3 was also just an absolute goddamn slog, I forgot how long the final vault section drags.

Keep in mind that, by design and narrative, the idea is not to blitz through the palaces in one go, but mixing your daily life with the incursions, there's a reason there's such a long list of checkpoints when you leave the palace and for Morgana to have an unique comment depending on which point you left it.

I know that's the most optimized way to play the game, but you have to understand you're forcing yourself to play as if action game players forced themselves to play with speedrunner strats or refusing to continue in a game that ranks one until they get an S rank in every stage.

I hope in future entries they acknowledge this balance problem. I think they straight up shouldn't reward the player for rushing the dungeons, just give the incursions their own time slot that doesn't take away the social ones and let them take their time (except maybe have the party members' SL unavailable when the deadline is close by, if only for narrative purposes). It'd be easy to justify by saying time flows differently in the dungeons (which is how it worked in P3 now that I think about it).

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Yeah, it's understandable that you don't want to mark entire discussions as spoilers for something that is reasonably old, but it doesn't take much effort to just hide one name.

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

I want to max everything in the first playthrough because I'm not sure if my attention span will allow me to replay the game a second time, but at the same time I don't want to use a strict guide cause I like doing what I want. But I guess I have to because I'm using EN voices for my 1st playthrough of Royale, so I need to do a 2nd one if I want to play the game how God intended (with JP voices and max social links).

I think I gave up on my 2nd playthrough of P5 because I was fooling around in Kamoshida's Palace and got myself kicked out for getting caught at 100% security and apparently the shock of not being super optimal crushed my spirits and destroyed my willingness to keep playing. At least that doesn't happen in P5R.

I think my dumbest thing was failing my 2nd playthrough of base P4 because I forgot to allot enough time slots to the Death arcana grandma because I took her for granted. The lesson here is don't take old people for granted, cause one day you'll regret not spending enough time with them.

We are also living the Streaming/Let's Play/Longplay era, another option is playing on your own, then watch the things you missed in any of those.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Read the sentence again.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Sydin posted:

a) Price only plays for the first half of the dungeon instead of the whole thing

Doesn't it work the same in Vanilla and Royal? Price for all the dungeon until you enter the vault, and Price [Another Version] inside the vault.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Artelier posted:

Nothing has given me as much stress in this game as watching Haru learn a new skill on level up WHY IS YOUR KIT SO GOOD I have been on this screen for 10 minutes help please

Just leave one Psi spell for coverage and go full guns, which can hit weaknesses AND get crits :blastu:

Remember you can always respec an ally in the church at the cost of a timeslot.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

Honestly, of all the Persona games, I like the Q and Q2 soundtracks the most because not only do they contain all the best tracks from 3/4/5 remixed, they also have a poo poo ton of banger originals which use all the artists together. Road Less Taken and Pull the Trigger slap so loving hard.

:agreed:

I like the music without vocals as well. I understand the gameplay is less accessible than the main games, but it's a pity so many people passed on them, I find them very charming and fun to play despite their flaws with characterization.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Neeksy posted:

And then they dress Ann in an outfit that she is clearly uncomfortable with – look the game is written by the straightest guy ever.

And then in her S.Link she says her role model is Fujiko Mine so :shrug:

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Also even if it were equal to Makouga, the earliest you can get that is from a Lv29 Principality, while Kaguya is Lv16.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

Speaking of Teddie, I've seen some people mention Morgana being worse than him, and that seems like a completely baffling opinion to me. Teddie is terrible and pretty much constantly verbally sexually harasses the girls. I'm wondering if it's something about Morgana's localized voice acting, because to me it just comes off like he has a crush on Ann. I don't remember him ever being particularly creepy about it - the "Ann-dono" stuff is just consistent with his classical/archaic-ish speech style that also leads to him using "wagahai" for himself, etc. It's weirder sounding in English because I don't think he does anything unusual in his speech other than the "Lady Ann" stuff, so it stands out more.

Same.

I think a lot of people overreacted over Morgana's crush because they pre-emptively projected their issues with Teddie on him and because of the whole context of the first palace which makes it a bit untimely, but I find it mostly innocent and inoffensive, like Bart Simpson's crush on Laura Powers for example.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

There's also the fact that Sojiro and Futaba are obvious stand-ins for the Dojimas from P4, so it's natural for people to see them in a similar light.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Personally I think it's a bit ridiculous holding the fact the game didn't dare become, like, the New Communist Manifesto against it. There are thousands of stories about the corruption of the government/police/army/etc... that end on the optimistic note that reform of these institutions is possible but this is the only piece of media I've seen where there's a significant backlash for playing it safe like that.
Then again I can understand Royal's release date that made it a popular "lockdown game" coupled with its proximity to the BLM movement having an impact on people's perception of this particular game.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Congrats! Glad you enjoyed it :)

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

hobbez posted:

Hmmm this is tempting. I do really like the combat and dungeon crawling sections

Oh boy.

"PLAY A REAL CHIN MEGOOMI TENSAY GAME!!"

But seriously, while none of them is as stylish as P5, if you enjoyed the dungeon crawling, battle, recruitment and fusion system and would prefer a more minimalistic story the mainline games might be perfect for you.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Sapozhnik posted:

Oh so if you don't have Shiki Ouji or some other bulletproof persona and a big stack of sleep inflictors for the Palace 3 boss fight on Merciless then you can just get hosed basically

I did happen to have those two things but I'd have been pretty upset if I didn't.

I mean, you're choosing to play on the highest difficulty setting, and failing a boss fight in order to learn what Persona/equipment/items to bring is completely fair for any jRPG on any difficulty setting in my opinion.

Then again, I admit making the boss battles more "cinamatographic" with so many dialogues and cutscenes in the middle of them makes them a lot more annoying to redo than in a standard jRPG, I had the same problem with Q2.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

This was very interesting, thanks. I've always thought of doing a P3FES run where you try to BREAK as many social links as possible, although that one seems a bit harder to plan.

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

- you can just continue confidants or start new ones, yes this means Ann will tell you she just visited Shiho in hospital as she's walking around

Ha, I never thought about this situation. I think Haru's confidant also involve talking about meetings that happen during the course of her confidant regarding her father's death and her ex-fiance that shouldn't be possible in Maruki's world.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Scoss posted:

I'm no writer, but I think maybe there's a more elegant way to do a twist than to have a fake-out happen, give a partial explanation to the audience, immediately followed up by a complete explanation of the same thing. What is the point of giving me a "flash" of mona talking about pancakes, or asking futaba to check something out, when the immediate next story step is to do an exhaustive play-by-play of those same scenes but with more detail?

It's to give players one last chance to go "A-HA!" and let them piece everything together by themselves before giving out the solution, since solving a mystery yourself even if it's at the last moment and having the story confirm your suspicions is always more satisfying than having everything explained when you have no clue. You can probably recall other stories that do something similar, like a detective having flashes of the key pieces to solve the mystery before going eureka and gathering everyone in the living room to explain what happened.

Scoss posted:

I don't even know what to say about the scene with Akechi and Shido standing in his office literally just talking to themselves about all of the crimes they did and why, for the sake of the invisible audience.

This one is way harder to defend, but I kinda agree with PT6A's sentiment.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

ROFL Octopus posted:

Well that and Akechi being a villain is misdirection for the fact that the real twist is that everyone knows he’s the villain and is ready to clown on him.

This.

Although I still think Royal made a mistake making him show his true colors to Joker during his Confidant scenes. Feels more natural in the base game.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

As with most things regarding style, P5 is one step ahead but the games' music is generally pretty good, yes.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

I love P3, it was my introduction to the SMT franchise as a whole and have played it multiple times, but if the rumors are true I'd rather they'd have used those resources to make a completely new game or a Persona Q3 instead, to be honest.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

mastajake posted:

I think you can go get the request and then come back and it will work. Not 100% sure, but I think I did it.

The problem is Junpei is at the dorm, there's no access to the Velvet Room in the dorm and going out finishes the night slot the moment you go back to the dorm even if you didn't do any activity that passes time, so if they saved during the evening slot they can't complete the quest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Well, now I'm starting to doubt myself, I was confident there was something that prevented you from just accepting the quest/asking for the item/submitting the quest in the very same slot but I'm not so sure anymore, sadly I don't have any save file at the moment to make a quick check.