Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

mewse posted:

To be fair it would be desirable for an arsonist

Do arsonists burn down their own buildings?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp

Shelvocke posted:

The reclaimed bricks arrived yesterday, and I've nearly got them all brushed clean ready for laying. The sand order is behind and unfortunately it's going to rain for the next couple of days so it'll probably wait till next week.

I pondered the electrical problem. While you need to notify the local govt, have planning, and have an electrician fit a cable to the house, you don't need to notify for an extension cable (even if you disassemble, feed though conduit and then reassemble.) So if I run the cable to a normal socket (and don't exceed 13a of simultaneous use) I can do it.

The guy fixing our roof also gave some great advice about the project, and gave me some left over insulation from a other job, which was great.

Thats a clever solution to the electrical problem. But definitely to echo other people you would need have to power in their for it to a useful space.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Our pre-industrial ancestors worked on their transportation in unpowered sheds lit by open flame or natural light, I'm sure it will be fine.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

pun pundit posted:

Our pre-industrial ancestors worked on their transportation in unpowered sheds lit by open flame or natural light, I'm sure it will be fine.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is it too late to consider a steampunk shed?

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

Martytoof posted:

Is it too late to consider a steampunk shed?

Maybe just random rear end brass pipes pumping hot water around and occasionally blasting the unwary with hot spray?

I was in a night shift last night, and so was ready to take it easy today. However the weather is turning to solid rain for 10+ days after tomorrow so instead went into a bricklaying flowstate and finished it all. It looks like poo poo because I'm halfway pointed but after it dries I'll brush it off.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Looks great IMO — a fantastic start :)

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
Not strictly about the workshop, but I built the plinth for a pizza oven today with the left over bricks. The wood order is hopefully coming this week, but otherwise I'll just finish this project first so it's ready for the summer.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Man I've got a big enough pile of bricks that I really should think about copying you.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
All good bike workshops demand an adjacent pizza oven.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
If you hire an Iranian guy to build your plinth, and it ends up being 30m tall with all sorts of handholds and footholds, is that a Plinth of Persia?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Phy posted:

If you hire an Iranian guy to build your plinth, and it ends up being 30m tall with all sorts of handholds and footholds, is that a Plinth of Persia?

Ok this got a chuckle.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
Spoke to the lumber guys today, the timber shortage is a bit of a growing problem apparently but it should still be here next week at some point.

In side project news, I spent today making the lintel and door frame, and mortared the lintel in place. Eventually it'll be cleaned up and treated but there's no point until after the top plate has been set on.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

What stops the lintel from bursting into flame? Iirc wood is soft and burny so they don't make bikes from it anymore.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
There's those bricks, a concrete slab, insulating bricks and the oven itself between the wood and the flames. The fire goes on top, not inside

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ooooh right I see.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
The wood finally arrived, even in the midst of the lumber shortage, Brexit, and Slow and Stately: Suez Drift.

It's hard to make out in photos but the wood has lovely grain and is going to look great. Just as well because it's taking up most of the drive.

I did the first beam in about 1.5 hours. My new chisel makes it very easy to cut into the oak, but I may still rent a chain mortiser, to avoid arthritis if nothing else. The weather has been much more pleasant this week so it feels good to go outside and whack my wood around a bit.

In :italy: news, I finished making the tabletop for the pizza oven, it's currently drying on (and probably killing) the lawn.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Still a great project.

May I suggest for your first pizza...

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Why would you want a pizza covered in 20w50 drippings?

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Slavvy posted:

Why would you want a pizza covered in 20w50 drippings?

Why wouldn’t you?

Every good chef knows fat and salt is flavour.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
There's a dry clutch joke there somewhere I just can't figure it out.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
Small update: had the first proper day of framing today, and the base plates are finished. The weather is turning awful in a couple of days so I'm hoping to get a decent amount done before that happens.

I started putting a bit more effort into making sure my chisel was shaving-sharp and it seems to be paying off. Had to shave a couple of the bricks on the far wall down as they were making the beam sit like a see-saw.

It doesn't look like much, but when I laid the beams down and the joints (mostly) fit together I had an immense feeling of satisfaction. Making things with your hands is great.

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

Hell yeah, looking good

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
At the end of day 5 of framing, I think I only have one more day to go, weather permitting. I started laying out the frame as pictured to mark the holes for dowels. I'm using an ancient technique called drawboring, which involves offsetting the holes in the mortise and tenon to bind the joints closely together and (hopefully) permanently.

I made my first proper mistake today, probably from tiredness, where I offset the holes in 2 of the joints in the wrong way because I got the topology wrong in my head. It hopefully shouldn't be much of a problem and I caught it on the second joint, but I'm still a bit annoyed at myself.

A friend came over yesterday, and we transferred the top for the oven to the plinth. I'm parking this project probably for a little while because the MOTs are coming up on both my bikes and I want to fettle them a bit first, but realistically I'll run out of time anyway.

There's a yootub channel called Nic Taylor Woodworking which is a great visual reference for this kind of traditional building, but it's also just a really peaceful and quiet thing to point your face at when you have brain melt. There's a good dog and rain.

Shelvocke fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Apr 12, 2021

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I have finally understood wtf you are building. It is effectively a pizza barbecue. I was picturing the type where the coals go in the same hole as the pizza and getting VERY confused!

Megabook
Mar 13, 2019

Grimey Drawer
I assumed the timber frame was a self-assembly kit or something, kudos to you for doing the whole lot!

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
Thanks, building it myself is probably a saving of at least £2-3k which is reason enough - but I also wanted it as a challenge. I have a long Easter holiday with work so it made sense. It'll be a little shittier for me doing it but that's part of the charm.

Slavvy posted:

I have finally understood wtf you are building. It is effectively a pizza barbecue. I was picturing the type where the coals go in the same hole as the pizza and getting VERY confused!

I think my lovely description was to blame

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

It's a pizza oven on a brick platform, right?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

And the bike goes underneath?

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

The bike is secured to the outside via a chain.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
I was putting the anchors in the brick today and had the uprights in for alignment .. and realised that it was practically assembled. Neighbour came over and helped with the top beams.

Pretty pleased with how it turned out so far. Needs the pegs knocking in, I'll probably do that next week, then I can start on the walls.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Shelvocke posted:

I was putting the anchors in the brick today and had the uprights in for alignment .. and realised that it was practically assembled. Neighbour came over and helped with the top beams.

Pretty pleased with how it turned out so far. Needs the pegs knocking in, I'll probably do that next week, then I can start on the walls.

Loving the old school construction, that's going to be insanely solid. Is there going to be a veneer of brick over the wood frame?

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
That looks great.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

Gorson posted:

Loving the old school construction, that's going to be insanely solid. Is there going to be a veneer of brick over the wood frame?

It's going to be clad externally with weatherboarding over insulation, which is the sort of style around here.
Inside I'm going to sand and oil the frame, and paint the wood behind maybe green.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

That looks sturdier than my house. Good job!

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

I've been waiting about a week for the OSB to arrive to start the walls. It came this afternoon and I managed to get the first skin up and most of the vapor barrier before I ran out of daylight (and DPM tape.)

Tomorrow is going to be a long, long day of trying to get the insulation and outer skin finished, as the 2 month long dry spell we've been having is coming to an end on Wednesday, and I'd really like to have it waterproof by then.

The wall is visible again now which is nice.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
Not a pretty update but lots of progress. The building is now fully insulated and waterproofed. This lucky because the day after I finished the roof it started raining and hasn't stopped for 2 weeks, nor does it look likely to this month.

I sanded back the beams and am still mulling either oiling them or leaving them natural. I'll probably end up oiling them for the sake of longevity of colour.

I'll skip the external photo as it isn't much to look at. I'm putting off the cladding and roof order because I'm starting to get a little burnt out but will probably do that in a week or two.

Taking suggestions for internals. I'd like to hide the OSB and have a practical/nice looking floor covering. There's T&G chipboard to protect the insulation boards on the floor arriving soon.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Looks good.

I’m assuming you’re like 6’9” or something, leading to the camera being close to the ceiling, and not a low ceiling.

Shelvocke posted:

I'm putting off the cladding

Triggered.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
I'm 184cm and the lowest point of the ceiling (the ridge beam) is about 10cm clear of my head. My hands were tied by permitted development roof heights. This is enough room, especially since the bike will be in the middle and there's more room under the rafters.

Sorry man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Shelvocke posted:

I'd like to hide the OSB

Build shelves all round and fill them up with stuff?

Also you've inspired me to start planning something like this. I have a small nearly-falling-down shed on my block that I could "renovate" without needing any permits and it'd be just about the perfect size for a bike plus tools.