Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
Definitely going to have a lot of shelves, which won't get in the way because of the recessed walls. The OSB is just kind of ugly, especially next to the oak frame after finishing.

Somebody at work suggested getting bundles of old maps from eBay and using them as wallpaper, which is pretty cool. I'd like brick slips but that's at the far pricier end of the spectrum. There's also a pallet recycling place 200ft away that I might go investigate for wood.

Page snipe edit: I spoke to the guys at the pallet place, they're letting me have wood basically for free. Pretty cool

Shelvocke fucked around with this message at 10:24 on May 19, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

I think I'd get vertigo with busy maps surrounding me

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Shelvocke posted:

Definitely going to have a lot of shelves, which won't get in the way because of the recessed walls. The OSB is just kind of ugly, especially next to the oak frame after finishing.

French cleat the gently caress out of the walls. For maximum configuration potential.

Gives you more joinery to do afterwards too.

Horse Clocks fucked around with this message at 10:05 on May 20, 2021

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
The workshop is progressing, but it feels slower because the big dramatic change jobs are done and now it's mostly details. Today I filled in the spaces in the eaves ready to be painted, and made a start on the workbench that will slot into the end.

Yesterday I finished oiling the beams. They came out a lot darker than I had hoped, but should mellow a bit over time. They'll also probably look at bit better contrasted with the light grey for the ceiling and with some lighting (the flash makes them look a lot more sepia).

I was going to paint the end wall forest green, but changed my mind after putting down the primer and instead have ordered some blackboard paint so I can chalk things up on it.

Still not sure what to do with the floor lip, it'll probably just be painted then have some beading to protect the edges.

Shelvocke fucked around with this message at 17:44 on May 27, 2021

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

can I get a banana for scale

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

right arm posted:

can I get a banana for scale

Is this one of those imperial/metric things cause afaik the appropriate object is a beer bottle.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
Bananas are the devil's own fruit and I won't abide to touch them. Also I'm a softboy and don't drink

The first couple of maps are up, and they actually look pretty cool. I'll take photos when the room is done.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

So this happened. I paused workshop for a couple of weeks because of the lumber shortage, and whilst out dirt biking I managed to jam my leg in a rut, fell over, and caused an MCL avulsion of my left femur. It happened 3 weeks ago and I've only just been able to start walking around comfortably so I spent an hour or two doing "rehab" by fitting some of the cladding panels.

It's pretty satisfying work, but I imagine my enjoyment will diminish somewhat when I have to do the 2 sides that are in a hedge.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

That is going to look gorgeous <3

e: The workshop not your bones.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jun 30, 2021

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

gently caress! Sorry about your gam.

Can I get a plantain for scale?

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Gorson posted:

gently caress! Sorry about your gam.

Can I get a plantain for scale?

this!!!!!

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

Knocked out some more cladding over the last couple of mornings, sadly the rain has been relentless. Now I've got to do the same but while standing in the hedge around the boundary.

I still don't have any bananas

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

It's a beauty. Have you considered any stains? I've been using linseed oil on some outdoor projects and really like it.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
I've used osmo one coat a few times on external wood which works nicely. Fiancé wants the wood to silver like it has on the rear of our house, so maybe after that.

I'm personally all up for oiling it so I don't have to reclad every 10 years or so

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
man, do you think braces would have helped with that knee injury? i can't decide if i want them or not because they're so expensive and some say uncomfortable to wear

but uh, tearing your *CL sounds awful too

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Shelvocke posted:

I still don't have any bananas

:argh:

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

Razzled posted:

man, do you think braces would have helped with that knee injury? i can't decide if i want them or not because they're so expensive and some say uncomfortable to wear

but uh, tearing your *CL sounds awful too

I think they almost certainly would have done, and I'll be wearing them if I continue to dirt bike meaningfully, along with wrist braces. As with anything they probably become ignorable after a few outings.

Sadly I'm reconsidering dirt biking altogether because I have an extremely cool new job that somewhat depends on me being able to hike/climb/ski regularly

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

You joined the Finnish military?

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

Worked on interior for the last couple of days as the local area is sold out of the cladding screws I need for the last outside face.

I have flooring ready to go after everything else is done, but I'm not sure what to do with the lip between the beam and the floor. I might just paint it black and have done with it but I'm open to cooler ideas.

It's starting to look pretty cool. Definitely going to be a bit wacky. Need to clean up the paint on the ceiling beams.

Gorson posted:

You joined the Finnish military?

If by Finnish military you mean looking after rich kids on the outdoors

Shelvocke fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jul 12, 2021

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Shelvocke posted:

Worked on interior for the last couple of days as the local area is sold out of the cladding screws I need for the last outside face.

I have flooring ready to go after everything else is done, but I'm not sure what to do with the lip between the beam and the floor. I might just paint it black and have done with it but I'm open to cooler ideas.

It's starting to look pretty cool. Definitely going to be a bit wacky. Need to clean up the paint on the ceiling beams.

If by Finnish military you mean looking after rich kids on the outdoors

Paint it orange and anodize it.

(Don’t use black because it’ll be a pain in the rear end to find things you drop on it)

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

Started moving in today. I think I need more shelves but overall pretty happy. There's enough room with the XR on the lift to walk all the way around and work at the desk without banging into things.

Still needs tiles on the roof and electricity, but just getting the tools out of the house and garden shed is a great step.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Yes! Love the maps.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Got some warm rural England vibes with that floor and wallpaper.

You just need to ditch the XR and get a BSA in there up on a ramp made of wooden milk crates and fencing.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Shelvocke posted:

Started moving in today. I think I need more shelves but overall pretty happy. There's enough room with the XR on the lift to walk all the way around and work at the desk without banging into things.

Still needs tiles on the roof and electricity, but just getting the tools out of the house and garden shed is a great step.

Horse Clocks posted:

Got some warm rural England vibes with that floor and wallpaper.

You just need to ditch the XR and get a BSA in there up on a ramp made of wooden milk crates and fencing.

I've realized that this thread is basically documenting how a traditional British man-in-a-shed is created. It's very illuminating to realize that the shed, not the man, is the fundamental building block that makes it all possible - the blue overalls, the maddeningly hyper specific knowledge, the ability to bodge unrelated machines together like some kind of techno alchemy, it all starts with a brown shed with maps on the walls.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
Think of the shed as a bird box for bearded tits.

Rags and grease are the nesting material

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Looking good!

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
I've been pretty busy and putting off finishing the roof, but I took a punt on 4 cheap, efficient LED floodlights (after doing a very rough LUX calculation) and they make the perfect amount of light. This will come in handy because today I bought this ...

It's a 1980 non running xl125k1 that I'm going to do my first engine out rebuild on and will hopefully become a cheap fun runaround. Since it's 40+ years old it's exempt from tax and MOT inspection, and it's CBT legal for my fiancé to learn on. This thread will probably become about that process.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

1. I am now burning with furious jealousy

2. Taking apart an old Honda engine for no reason is how you end up selling a box of Honda parts on ebay a year later, if it runs just leave it, there are easier things to learn that stuff on

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
If it runs I'll leave well alone, but I'd still like to repaint the cases and the frame.
It looks like the electrics are going to be the biggest thing needing overhaul, and I'd like to switch to 12v. The battery has got to go, I'll hide a small cell pack somewhere.

I'm not precious about keeping it original - but I really dig the tank paint, minus a lot of pitting and rust.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Can you get a 12v stator and cdi/point system or do you mean just run a total loss system? Totally viable with LED's and easy to do.

My main concern pulling something like that apart is parts availability. Not just because of the age, but because Honda looove to make random intra-year, intra-model changes, as well as using weird nonstandard seals and stuff.

From here in the southern hemisphere the frame looks immaculate, the tank would be good with a cut and polish. The engine looks a bit mangy but a good scrub and maybe repainting or polishing the side covers would do it.

The main thing is people (me included) tend to take the whole bike apart in a flurry because it's simple and small, and then get buried under the weight of minutea and it never goes back together. I've got an mb100 in boxes to prove it. Much better to do things one at a time and keep it as a mostly intact rideable bike.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
My understanding is that you can keep the CDI and ignition intact as they draw directly from the stator, but you can switch to a 12v reg/rec and battery with no mishaps. There are total replacement kits out there which include everything but perhaps unnecessary.

The frame does look good now that you mention it. I looked into spare parts before I bought it, and fortunately eBay seems to have them pretty well supplied, I think because the same engine was in many bikes in different frames through the late 70s and 80s.

And you're right about rushing into the engine, I mostly want to because it's fun.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
The bike arrived. There was issues getting it here. The whole story is dull but the short of it is :

- The old guy selling it is probably senile. He gave the wrong address twice, which incurred a charge from the courier company.
- Managed to get the charge waived after complaining. The driver was thoroughly decent and told the company it wasn't my fault. Old guy tries to change the date.
- Old guy forgets to turn up for the pickup point and the driver calls me to say he has to go. I call old dude and remind him to go. He was on the sofa.
- He forgets to include the documents.

Anyway the bike is here. It is not in good condition. (This is actually fine, I wanted a challenge.) The DVLA website says this bike was last ridden in 1990. This is completely plausible.

In no particular order:

- The engine does not turn over. This may or may not be related to DIY gasket material leaking around the top of the valve cover, or the mangled inspection screws
- The wiring is a dangerous mess. Even if it turned over I'd be reluctant to kick it not wearing protection
- No part of the bike is properly fixed to any other part. The seat was loose, ditto the tank, and everything generally rattles around freely.
- The back brake is connected only to the air
- The inside of the tank is thick with rust, and the seat pan is crumbling completely. Probably not recoverable
- The muffler is toast (but ugly so fine)
- Choke is stuck, throttle is entirely missing
- Front mudguard and rear light are long dead

You get the idea.

Now for the good parts:

- The frame is almost immaculate
- Despite the paintwork, the engine covers are in great condition, and so to is the carburettor
- The gears select easily
- There was oil in it, so hopefully it's not rusted dead inside
- The hubs and rims are good and the front brake works
- The rear shocks look more recent (ie <41 years old) and generally tidy

Altogether worse than advertised, but very salvageable. Also good news is that parts are very widely available, including a 150cc head kit.

More to follow when I have time to get into it.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Did you get the paperwork eventually? Here in Canada it's not advisable to restore a bike without a title in hand unless making a track bike or something.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

As long as he got the V5 sorted, which can be done online by the prior owner or on the v5 piece of paper (best to do it online, that way you need sod all to get it sorted), it's not a big deal.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Shelvocke posted:

Nice old Honda.

What did you pay for it?

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane
This looks so similar to the XL100 frankenbike I had growing up.

It barely ran when we got it so my first motorcycle experience was boring it out and a complete engine teardown with my old man. Don’t be too intimidated these engines are pretty simple.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Shelvocke posted:

The bike arrived. There was issues getting it here. The whole story is dull but the short of it is :

- The old guy selling it is probably senile. He gave the wrong address twice, which incurred a charge from the courier company.
- Managed to get the charge waived after complaining. The driver was thoroughly decent and told the company it wasn't my fault. Old guy tries to change the date.
- Old guy forgets to turn up for the pickup point and the driver calls me to say he has to go. I call old dude and remind him to go. He was on the sofa.
- He forgets to include the documents.

Anyway the bike is here. It is not in good condition. (This is actually fine, I wanted a challenge.) The DVLA website says this bike was last ridden in 1990. This is completely plausible.

In no particular order:

- The engine does not turn over. This may or may not be related to DIY gasket material leaking around the top of the valve cover, or the mangled inspection screws
- The wiring is a dangerous mess. Even if it turned over I'd be reluctant to kick it not wearing protection
- No part of the bike is properly fixed to any other part. The seat was loose, ditto the tank, and everything generally rattles around freely.
- The back brake is connected only to the air
- The inside of the tank is thick with rust, and the seat pan is crumbling completely. Probably not recoverable
- The muffler is toast (but ugly so fine)
- Choke is stuck, throttle is entirely missing
- Front mudguard and rear light are long dead

You get the idea.

Now for the good parts:

- The frame is almost immaculate
- Despite the paintwork, the engine covers are in great condition, and so to is the carburettor
- The gears select easily
- There was oil in it, so hopefully it's not rusted dead inside
- The hubs and rims are good and the front brake works
- The rear shocks look more recent (ie <41 years old) and generally tidy

Altogether worse than advertised, but very salvageable. Also good news is that parts are very widely available, including a 150cc head kit.

More to follow when I have time to get into it.

Sweet! Looks like you're doing that rebuild anyway. I've dealt with this situation several times, where a senile old man just decides to take things apart for no reason and you have to go over literally everything because there's no rhyme or reason to anything he's done. It's very similar, but different to, dealing with a meth bike.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
Today I began to strip the bike and put the parts in little named baggies. I thought I would worry about not getting things back on right but honestly the bits are in such rough condition they mostly need complete replacement anyway.

I managed to suspend the frame from the roof beam and drop the engine out by hand. It's heavy but manageable.

The valve cover was pleasantly clean underneath, and the rockers and cams were in almost new condition. I puzzled over how to get the head off, but fortunately my manual arrived at exactly the moment I started to Google the diagrams. It was not pretty in there.

The piston was completely rusted to the cylinder wall. To get the barrel off I had to take it outside, turn it upside down over an oil tray, and tap the piston head gently with a hammer while simultaneously pulling the barrel. It worked eventually.

I also tipped out most of the engine oil from the crank cases at this point. It was charcoal black and matte, which I've not seen before. There were also some bits of white phlegm type non-newtonian fluid that I'd rather not encounter again.

mewse posted:

Did you get the paperwork eventually? Here in Canada it's not advisable to restore a bike without a title in hand unless making a track bike or something.

I have a bill of sale, which is sufficient to get it re-ownered. You wait 4 weeks after the sale then complete a v65, which takes another 6 weeks.

Steakandchips posted:

What did you pay for it?

Around 900. Pre-rona I think it'd be worth a bit less, but practically a steal now.

Slavvy posted:

Sweet! Looks like you're doing that rebuild anyway. I've dealt with this situation several times, where a senile old man just decides to take things apart for no reason and you have to go over literally everything because there's no rhyme or reason to anything he's done. It's very similar, but different to, dealing with a meth bike.

There is honestly no logic to any of what I've seen. Bits of harness connected to other random bits, dremelled slots for intact hex spanner heads, you name it.

There's some affordable ultrasonic cleaning units I'm considering buying, as the 10l+ sizes are large enough for the cases, and would be a good way to get the paint off and sort out the carbs and parts I'm keeping.

I'm not sure what to do about the frame. The original plan was to completely customise the bike, which I reconsidered as the bike looked clean. Now I can see that so much needs replacing (and OEM seats etc aren't readily available) that I'll probably go with custom. Plus there's just so many tabs and vestigal parts I want to ditch.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

:hellyeah:

this is gonna be a fun project

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
The castellated nut remover arrived today so I could get the oil spinner and clutch off. Somebody has been in this engine before; I've extracted 6 or so mangled JIS screws and a couple of things that weren't put back on right, including the shifter mechanism. The castellated nuts also look as though they were taken off with a punch.

The clutch was a hard to get off, and looks pretty grim. I'll see if the ultrasonic cleaner will help but I'll probably order a new pack.

When I put the shifter back on right the gears all select and turn beautifully. The flywheel puller should arrive tomorrow.

Taking the engine apart methodically is a lot of fun. I spent a couple of days staring at the Haynes manual trying to work out how it worked and it clicked today.

Shelvocke fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Sep 1, 2021