Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

:flashfact: The sun is actually a pretty bright star.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

George posted:

hot young stars

speaking of
https://twitter.com/BadAstronomer/status/1364611587001241600

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

https://twitter.com/galaxy_map/status/1364937825884524545

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Tulip posted:

Brown dwarfs are the coolest thing in space and I love them but I can't really hype them up super well so I'll just leave it at "brown dwarfs get smaller as they gain mass" and that rules.

Brown dwarves are neat because we keep confusing them with planets.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

LostCosmonaut posted:

Przybylski's Star is also my favorite bizarre stellar object. To expand a bit on why it's so odd, it's spectrum is completely unlike any other star known. It has a pretty elevated amount of lanthanides compared to most other stars.

What makes it really weird is that there's actinides in it. Including transuranic elements like einsteinium that have half-lifes on the order of a couple hundred days at most, which is virtually nothing by cosmic standards.

I don't think they've yet come up with a great explanation for why it is the way it is. Two of the best guesses are that it ingested a neutron star at some point (that neutron-enriched a bunch of the material in the star, creating various elements), or that the actinides are the decay products of Island of Stability elements.

Haha poo poo that's crazy. Do we have a probable number for the island of stability yet?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Phanatic posted:

Fact is true. It's about .3 watts per cubic meter, or 2E-4 watts per kilogram. Proton-proton fusion is insanely inefficient. Basically you've got to wait for a proton and a proton to fuse into a deuteron, and the cross-section for this reaction is essentially nonexistent; an average proton in the core of the sun could expect to stay there for billions of years before it manages to fuse with another proton. Once you've got the deuteron it'll almost immediately fuse with another proton to produce helium-3, which'll then mostly fuse with other helium-3 to produce helium-4 and some hydrogens. But that first proton:proton fusion is so incredibly difficult to achieve that it takes a star's worth of mass to get it to happen at even the pathetically low rate that it happens in a star.

That's actually pretty interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

https://twitter.com/ScienceNews/status/1386767765378322434
drat that would be a wild find.