Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

weak poo poo

feast your eyes on a real star

A fun part about supergiants is that while that star is about 1700 solar radii, it's only about 10 solar masses. Which means that it's got an *average density* of .0083 grams per cubic centimeter. Since most of that mass is down where fusion's happening, the outer portions of the star are a good approximation to vacuum. There's no well-defined surface, the gas just gets less and less dense as you move outwards from the center.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Scrotum Modem posted:

The sun is only various yellowish colors when viewed from earth. It's blinding white light when viewed from space

i wish sci fi shows and such were more accurate on how stars this close really look like from the viewpoint of outer space, and not through some filter. they aren't orange balls from the perspective of human vision

It's called a yellow star not because it literally looks yellow but because its emission peak is in the yellow portion of the spectrum. If you add the red and the blue together, it puts out about the same amount of energy in those as it does in the yellow, so it's definitely gonna look white unless as before mentioned it's close to the horizon and you're seeing it through a lot of atmosphere that scatters the blue wavelengths preferentially.