Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

ESA has launched a program to recruit astronauts, first time after 11 years.

You'll find all the information here:
https://www.esa.int/About_Us/Careers_at_ESA/ESA_Astronaut_Selection

Here are some of the main requirements:
  • According to the ESA Convention, applications can only be considered from nationals of an ESA member state and associated member states. These are: Austria, Belgium, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and the United Kingdom plus Slovenia and Latvia.
  • Must be less than 50 years old
  • Must have a Master's degree from a recognised academic institution in Natural Sciences (including Physical Sciences; Earth, Atmosphere or Ocean Sciences; Biological Sciences), Medicine, Engineering or Mathematics/Computer Sciences, with at least three years of professional experience after graduation.
  • The applicant must be free from any dependency on drugs, alcohol or tobacco.
  • The applicant must be free from psychiatric disorders.
  • Applicants must provide a European Part-MED, Class 2 (Private Pilot) medical certificate issued by an aviation medical examiner or aeromedical centre.

I do not have a Master's degree (just a Bachelor's) but I fit all the other criteria. I'll give it a shot because if I don't I'll regret it all my life.

If anyone is planning to apply, go for it and post in this thread.

Goons in space!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

I'm going for it too, I have a medical condition (ankylosing spondylitis) which is completely controlled and am asymptomatic but I'll probably still be rejected for it. That said I'll always regret not trying so am currently scrambling for someone willing to do a flight medical for me while we're still in lockdown.

Edit: Flight medical booked :toot:. Also noticed CV needs to be in the europass format so time to start working on that.

Loving Africa Chaps fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Feb 23, 2021

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

I really hope you goons make it to space :q:

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle
Definitely not gonna go to space but interested in seeing how far I get through the process, so throwing my hat into the space ring. Don't have a lot of professional post-MSc experience so gonna wing it on charm.

Europass CV maker is here: https://europa.eu/europass/en/create-europass-cv

Also isn't Canada an associate member of ESA?

Cockashocka
Sep 13, 2013

Bubble brother

Well, I guess I'm not going to space, but hopefully there might be some other goon who will go into outer space, some day.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Had my flight medical today, just need to send a report from a scan i had and i should be good to go. Doctor said there had been a huge wave of interest from people but i was one of only bookings so far. The CAA who control the medicals in the uk has banned them from being carried out while we're locked down but has now made an exception for those going for ESA selection

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Had my flight medical today, just need to send a report from a scan i had and i should be good to go. Doctor said there had been a huge wave of interest from people but i was one of only bookings so far. The CAA who control the medicals in the uk has banned them from being carried out while we're locked down but has now made an exception for those going for ESA selection

Got my medical today as well! Everything nominal, now to wait until March 31st to see what exactly they want in our CV!

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
I'm in the process of getting my MSc in physics but I have a history of depression so :shrug:

If I can figure out where to get the medical done I will apply

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

It's on everyone!

https://jobs.esa.int/job/Porz-Wahn-Astronaut-ESOC/662874901/

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
Wtf, there can't be any African astronauts?

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

What the hell is a Test Pilot degree?

Mindless
Dec 7, 2001

WANTED: INFO on Mindless. Anything! Everything! Send to
Pillbug
It's like a pilot's test but there's no instructor and it's in the most rickety piece of garbage ever to delay it's own fiery, plummeting death and if you can keep it in the air for a minute, they stamp your head bandages with TEST PILOT and you can give a toothless grin and thumbs up while they take your picture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
Any of you goons want to do a Groupon?

https://www.spacecamp.com/space/adult