Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Fallows posted:

thats when the bones are all in different directions

It's also any fracture where the bone pierces the skin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
Open fractures of his right tibia and fibula. They inserted rods and pins. Sounds like he may have developed compartment syndrome, too.

quote:

"Mr Woods suffered significant orthopaedic injuries to his right lower extremity that were treated during emergency surgery," he said.

"Communicated open fractures affecting both the upper and lower portions of the tibia and fibula bones were stabilised by inserting a rod into the tibia.

"Trauma to the muscle and soft-tissue of the leg required surgical release of the covering of the muscles to relieve pressure due to swelling."

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-02-24/tiger-woods-confirms-significant-injury-on-right-leg-car-crash/13188882

Lolie fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Feb 24, 2021

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

AHH F/UGH posted:

What guy who has like 100 million dollars is driving himself around, that's weird as hell. Doesn't he have some guy who follows him around in a car at all times and acts as a personal driver?

Must have been blown out of his mind

The sheriff was quoted as saying he didn't seem impaired. I wonder if mandatory drug and alcohol tests are required.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

quote:

Michael Gardner, orthopaedic trauma chief at Stanford Medical, said even with successful surgery, injuries like those Woods had suffered were often "life-altering".

"My patients who have these injuries, who are not elite athletes, I tell them we're going to do everything we can to get the bone to heal, to avoid complications and to get you back to function as best we can," Dr Gardner said.

"But unfortunately, the nature of this injury is such that it is truly a life-altering injury."

He added that with Woods's age and extensive injury history, it would be "very, very unlikely that he returns to be a professional golfer".

"It really would be difficult for any golfer. But … his age, his multiple back issues, this is going to be a very long road ahead if he chooses to attempt to return to his previous level of golfing."

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-02-25/tiger-woods-injury-update-car-crash/13190672

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Propaganda Machine posted:

He probably won't be able to drive with his leg hosed up that badly anyway. There do exist hands-only driving systems, but they're really complicated and unsexy, I doubt Tiger would be interested.

A friend of mine's son sustained similar injuries and although it took a couple of years until he could walk unaided, he can drive just fine now. That said he was only in his teens and didn't have a history of prior injuries.