Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

The interview with Tite Kubo there reminded me of a Tatsuki Fujimoto interview with Samura Hiroaki... in the opposite direction.

Kubo mentions how he doesn't really feel interested in the female cast of JJK, and Gege admits that part of that might be that he doesn't feel comfortable getting horny on the page.

Meanwhile, the girls in Chainsaw Man are somewhat similar in personality to the ones in JJK, but it's clear from interviews that's because Fujimoto has no issue getting horny on the page. (An interview with one of his assistants said that reading Denji was basically just seeing Fujimoto write himself)

Just kind of funny to see that from two mangaka who are compared so often, and who've gone on record praising each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Oh no he doesnt care a single bit about Yuji.
If Yuji dies he can just go back to waiting, Sukuna is a very patient oppurtunist and puts his whims and curiosity above all else. If he gets to incarnate in yujis flesh thats a plus but so far hes shown a completely nonchalant approach, and keeps things as is because its more convinient.

I mean, he's got three quarters of his power invested in Yuji at this point. It's more than a bit of a risk to throw that all away.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Inflammatory posted:

badass anime girl: *gets an eyepatch*
small-brained philistines: this is the worst. i hate this.
me: this is the best. i love this.

I thought that Himeno and Quanxi had already sufficiently established that eyepatches on women ruled in Shonen Jump monster hunting manga.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Rigged Death Trap posted:

It still makes Toji like 95th percentile in the Juju world. He isnt able to beat the pinnacle of sorcery but then again, how many can.

In theory, Miwa.

...In theory.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i wish they'd have taken a break sooner if it is that bad.

He might have thought it wasn't that bad earlier. I mean, I'm not saying it's how things really work, but I can't help but think of Bakuman, and the plotline where the artist is hospitalized, editorial is telling him to sit on his hands because they have enough artists dying at the desk already, and he's still trying to get art paper smuggled in because he can still work!

When you're starting out in Jump, you need to nail your mark every week or people forget you and you get canned. Once you've got a success in modern jump, you can take time off, especially if your health is hurting, but even if editorial makes it clear that sick weeks are fine (and even if Jump seems better about that recently, there's enough old horror stories that I'm not assuming too much in their favor), it's easy for people to think they can just power through right until they can't.

It's a tough job. I'd imagine that anything that goes wrong spirals fast.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Fabricated posted:

The industry has not really improved if someone's general health can decline to the point they have to take a month off to not die.

It's a big improvement over not getting that month off.

It's the same as saying it's an improvement they only need to amputate, instead of it being terminal. It's better than it used to be, but that says more bad about the previous state of things than good about the new one.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Jose posted:

It seems a bit stupid in that cycling out the series in it so people can have a rest let's then publish more stuff to sell volumes of

No, it doesn't. Since the same number of chapters would be published, that means the same number of volumes. (Maybe less, if they're cycling in more one-shots). What's more, they'd be cycling out series that can sell millions, like JJK or One Piece, to cycle in (at best) less popular series like Dr. Stone, or (more likely in the current environment) outright losers like Bone Collection and Our Blood Oath.

It also makes managing the magazine much more of a logistical burden, both for the publisher and for the readers, who have to memorize a schedule to figure out when the series they care about are around.

You can see just how much the physical printing plays into things by looking over at Jump Plus, which basically lets writers set their own schedules, ranging from weekly-with-breaks for Kaiju 8 to "when it's ready" for Choujin X.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Grouchio posted:

Nobara fate still being unknown/never mentioned feels dissapointing.

Obviously, she went off to work at Family Burger.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

I'm not a writer so I wouldn't know.

It's not the only method, but it is a common one. Some writers basically just start at the start and let the character developments come "naturally", while others map things out in detail so they know the ending before the story starts.

Depending on the writer, something like this sometimes starts with "I need someone to judge Itadori for Sukuna's crimes", or an idea for a character that lead to realizing he could do something like this, or even just a random image.

Writers are different, and without specifics, it's hard to guess how things were handled.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Hamelekim posted:

If you have been reading this series from the beginning how to you miss it?

0 was in a different magazine, and was added to the app later than the core series in a separate category. I can see missing it.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well they were introduced as Megumi's Supporting Cast as Yuji has yet to meet them.

If we're getting picky like that, they're Yuta's supporting cast.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Pewdiepie posted:

Praying for 100 chapters without Nobara.

You loved "Permanent Nobara". Now get ready for "Permanent No Nobara"!

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

This seems like the ultimate game-breaking exploitation of JJK's rules:

If your spirit technique makes no goddamn sense,
Then the binding vow where you explain your technique to your opponent makes no goddamned sense either,
So it seems like the sort of infinite loop that would explain why he's on Gojo's level.

I kind of don't even want to know if there is a translation that makes the pachinko poo poo make some sort of sense. Or it might take multiple pages worth of translator's notes.

The weakness is that if your opponent starts going "Zawa, Zawa", it'll take a whole cour to get anything done.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

Me getting ready to read the chapter tomorrow based on the general reactions I’ve seen to the leaks

“But that does not make you an adult, Milhouse. Finding more fallen-out hairs on your pillow, watching your favorite Squishee disappear from the Kwik-E-Mart…the accumulation of those little despairs is what makes a person an adult.”

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Artelier posted:

drat, Hakari's busted. He's especially good if he gets to fight some small fry first to get the Jackpots rolling, but might struggle if he fought a tough opponent straight away.

Also for the next chapter I demand a reaction shot of Kashimo finding out the rules of the Domain! In fact, I want to see Hakari hit his domain on like every named character just to see how they'd react.

Todo would just nod, because he figured the whole thing out from context clues, before describing why Yume Asagiri is a poo poo tier waifu.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

We in the west also tend to be pretty unfamiliar with Pachinko which it’s based on. The easiest way to understand it is that it’s pretty much a slot machine. Hakari can do one of three types of attack previews also called spins, and each time he does the slots which are numbered 1 to 7 spin. If two numbers match a scene will play out before showing if the third number matches or not. If they match he gets invincibility. If the Jackpot is an odd number the next time he does it his odds of getting a Jackpot off a spin increase to around 20%, if it’s even his spins get faster before resetting after a number of spins. Normally each Spin has a 1 in 239 chance of winning.

I'm mostly familiar with Pachinko from Kaiji, plinko, and Mario Sunshine, so this kind of helps.

The multiplier stuff gets weird.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

kashimo’s most basic ability boils down to “if I hit you once, you explode”

unless your name is monkey d luffy he’s a pretty bad matchup

Makima could take him.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Patware posted:

'oh he's just circulating his blood to also go outside of his body' lmfao i love this comic

could he do that to make his blood go really fast and make an infinite blood buzzsaw

He's just not enough of a genius to make blood chainsaws.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

this is just new information apparently so it's absolutely not coming until 2023

Yeah, it seemed like it would be really weird for MAPPA to do that. They're launching Chainsaw Man this fall, so making another Shonen Jump action show would risk undercutting both.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

you cannot defeat him, his iq is too high

People talk about Chainsaw Man vs. Jujutsu Kaisen fights, but the real main attraction would be a shogi match between Power and Todo showing off their ultra-genius IQs.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ChaseSP posted:

I just want to see Todo ask various people in CSM what their favorite kind of women are.

Worrisome trivia there:

Makima is tall (173 cm), with a fantastic rear end.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Lamebot posted:

Kenjaku and Sukuna discussing how cursed old men are the future in a secret base under some Asian City.

Get the hell out of here, Nobara.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Speaking as someone who's been following the manga off and on after enjoying the anime...

I just feel like that sucked.

On the one end, it's an attack that's completely out of scale with the rest of the setting. If someone can destroy the world in a matter of seconds, then having the ultra-high-end badasses so far 'just' be able to take out a city block feels goofy. This isn't a tool for a shadow war that was kept secret for centuries. This is a WMD that makes nukes look like pop caps.

On the other, it doesn't matter. At all. It's just no-sold and accomplishes nothing. It's a whole chapter for Chaotzu to blow up, but without the waiting for Goku aspect that can give weight to the human fights in DBZ. (Sure, Krillin can't win, but if he can just run out the clock...)

Maybe later chapters will do something to justify this, or the official release will read well enough to change my assessment but for now, it just feels like a waste of everyone's time.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Jerkface posted:

Uh wasnt this lady basically just introduced to lose to the bad guy? what did she ever do before

She's been around since chapter 0, and was Todo's teacher as well as one of the four special grade sorcerors, along with Gojo, Geto, and Yuta (you know, the strongest people in the setting).

However, she hadn't done much of anything yet, so she was in a little guy on the Simpsons position, where you knew she'd eventually do something good.

Only she didn't. (So, you know. Even worse than Stars).

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Electric Phantasm posted:

Has there ever been a character who's fate has been dragged out this long?

Annie. Attack on Titan.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Pierson posted:

Here's how they can still win... (1/3651)

Look, if cannibalism got them into this mess, then cannibalism is the best way to get out of it. It's basic common sense.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Lily Catts posted:

I think it's fascinating that the Gojo is the pretty much the strongest character and hasn't been killed off--usually the powerful mentor gets shelved early on to let the younger characters grow on their own, but it's refreshing to see the bad guys piss their pants whenever Gojo is around. I can't think of another work of fiction that did the same--either the mentor character isn't that strong or they're not that pivotal to the story.

(Yeah he did get shelved after Shibuya but it took that long)

Captain Levi from Attack on Titan comes to mind pretty quick. He was presented as Humanity's Strongest Soldier from his first appearance and (unlike almost everyone else who got hyped up right before dying horribly) he continued to kick rear end until the final battles, despite taking some nasty hits along the way.

There's some other mentors I can think of who survive, anime and not, but Levi's continuous status at the top of the board is the closest example I can think of.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Asuron posted:

We got a couple of things in the oven for Sukuna.

-Got the new cursed weapon from Yorozu and who knows what that does
- Got Mahoraga which is a pretty hard counter to what Gojo brings to the table
- He has Megumis body as a hostage
- Hidden techniques we don’t know about, while Sukuna knows all of his own thanks to Kenjaku

If it was Sukuna without these things, I’d say it goes to Gojo easily but it’s actually pretty stacked in Sukuna’s favour with all the new factors

Plus you also got the set plots of other characters gunning for Sukuna, so unless their story ends with them doing something else, Gojo is very likely gonna lose here. Everything narratively is pointing towards it

Yeah, Gojo has to lose so Roboco can come in for the save with her ultimate technique. It's all being set up this week, if you read the extended universe material.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Lamebot posted:

I would say it's more about how maladjusted you are. Takaba doesn't seem to have any malice and is just plain nutty.

And now I'm realizing this clash of interpretations would determine which Chainsaw Man protagonist would be the more terrifying sorcerer.

Asa has more disdain for others, but Denji is way more batshit crazy.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Nuebot posted:

One piece is basically the only shonen battle series in recent memory that didn't spin wildly out of control, then crash and burn to some degree. It's just kind of a genre wide issue where their big climactic final arcs usually suck rear end, and all the little problems that have been bubbling under the surface just kind of take precedence and become impossible to ignore. Naruto had its awful zombie war poo poo, Bleach had its stupid nazi god power war poo poo, hero academia has its invincible villain war poo poo, even Dragon Ball Z had the Buu saga where basically every character just kind of shrugs off all of their character progression to act like assholes and do nothing of importance for most of the arc.

Do we count Chainsaw Man part 1 as a battle shonen? Because that was at least as much a conclusion as Kengan had, and it was rock solid. Final battle was done in one volume, too. No messing about.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

Eh, that's kind of a matter of personal taste. I'd say that One Piece only avoided issues by choosing to spin its wheels indefinitely (and I've never found it particularly compelling, largely due to not really liking the core cast).

I think that Naruto will actually end up looking pretty good in hindsight in the longer run, at least for a long-running shounen series that was completed. Its general art and character designs were a big step above most other series (which is why it became so popular to begin with), and while it's ending arc wasn't good, I don't think it was "so bad it retroactively sours the series as a whole." Bleach is an example of something that really went to poo poo to such an extent. And I think MHA's current end-game is worse than Naruto's, because it's hard to even clearly follow what's happening.

The other class of popular shounen seems to be stuff like Demon Slayer, which is "solid throughout, but probably won't be remembered as clearly due to a lack of 'impact.'"

Lack of impact. From the best selling manga per volume of all time, assuming the Devilman number is questioned. I'm going to have to ask for a definition here, because my knee-jerk response here is to wonder what "lack of impact" even means.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

Yeah, let the mangaka rest, their working schedule is inhuman. Everyone should get the Oda treatment, at the very least.

The problem is convincing the mangaka of that. In case you forgot, Gege's last big break came after months of Jump's editors calling him up to say "Hey, dude. You can take a break! We're cool with that! Just do what you need."

"No, I'm fine."

"Not as fine as you would be with a break, hint, hint."

And then he eventually had to write a note in Jump about how, yep. Guess he did need that break!

As shown most obviously with Murata, a lot of mangaka are workaholics. You kind of have to be to try for the weekly gig. And some of them can even pull it off! (Toriyama famously had a ton of little tricks to keep his life in order despite doing a weekly for so long. It's one of the things that he's legendary for among mangaka.)

It's just that, even in the best case, when things start to spiral, they can really spiral.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Another thing about Gege that’s good to remember is that he is pretty young. Like he is early 20s at most from what I know.

31. Older than Fujimoto. Still young, but not that young.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Taima posted:

It's a topic that deserves being discussed at more length imo, but I respect your viewpoint that art can't be critiqued or whatever.

Please feel free to put me on ignore, I don't know what to say. I'm just trying to make an argument and it takes a second, so I'll happily write about it for like 10 or 15 minutes :shrug:

JJK is cool and it's just interesting to me how it played out. But yeah of course there's no room for discussion if "things that happen in it" is not up for critique like you are implying.

For whatever it's worth, your issues with the Culling Game seem pretty widespread. If you look at the manga sales for the last few volumes, JJK is still huge, but it's had massive dropoff during this arc, even beyond what you'd expect to lose with no current anime and with a longer ongoing.

The culling game is messier than previous arcs, has a lot of fights that, in hindsight, don't seem to have done much for the plot, and doesn't focus on the characters people loved, instead revolving through a bunch of new guys whose role is basically to have the aforementioned unimportant fights.

Don't know why bringing that up would be verboten, but yeah. Seems that, anywhere people will say JJK has flaws, these last few arcs have been noted as more flawed than the series was prior, even if it's still a good time.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Last I checked she did not get her poo poo kicked in and it was a pretty even fight. Maki also did well.

Yeah, you can always tell an even fight by one person walking away pretty much uninjured while the other is dead from being sliced in two. It's like how Ivan Drago and Apollo Creed had to go to the judges.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

That fight had lasting impact. Kenjaku got Tengen and started the end of the Culling Game.

No, that isn't lasting impact from the fight, because it would have happened just the same if Yuki had ditched for a beer instead.

Even Stars and Stripes in MHA had a more dignified defeat, because she managed to save her teammates and (in a vague, barely relevant way) weaken the main villain. And if an arc looks bad next to Stars and Stripes, that's some pretty impressive depths of failure.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

UnderFreddy posted:

even maki only got to look good after fridging her sister

It's not really a fridging. Mai made a choice to sacrifice herself for Maki, and the primary result was a direct powerup, not mere anger. Standard death beat.

(Yuki's death isn't a fridging either. It's just lame.)

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Lily Catts posted:

I enjoyed the pilot but it's pretty much a neat little self-contained story. The anime however brings some incredible production values with it, and Megumi Ogata voicing Okkotsu couldn't be more apt. That said I miss the student sorcerers a lot... like Miwa lol

I've been a bit in and out for the manga, but that's one thing that stands out to me lately. You've got big cast of characters people got attached to in the anime, ranging from Yuji, the unprepared outsider, to the mightiest sorcerer of all, Miwa. There's a ton of emotional investment there.

And then post-Shibuya, a bunch of them are dead or maimed, which can be compelling... except that instead of focusing on people who we're already attached to (Gojo, Yuji, Megumi, Nobara, Yuta, Maki, Miwa), the manga just wanders off to go and have lengthy fights between people we haven't seen before the Culling Game arc, with ambiguous stakes, as the fates of the mains is left offscreen. And then it moves on to new characters we don't know, rather than settling on some of the newbies as the focus to get us attached.

I think something similar might be going on with anime fans being more upset about the villain swap. Manga readers had a big gap for zero, with many of them not even knowing it existed, while anime fans just got the movie, then a big arc explaining why all that went down, and then... whoops! It didn't matter in regards to why the new main villain does things. Kind of feels like a cheat.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Electric Phantasm posted:

Yuji's Ultimate Weapon: Not giving poo poo about Sukuna learning the concept of love

Ready to kick some rear end!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Fabricated posted:

Art is looking rough, Sukuna is becoming about as interesting as AFO. Gege and Horikoshi high-fiving on the way to the hospital.

The difference is, AFO's being used as a way to hype up more interesting characters. We've been getting some absolutely prime All Might in the last few chapters as he mocks AFO, and Shigaraki's defiance gives him a bit more meat than he had otherwise.

Sakuna, meanwhile, is having characters die just to hype him up more. It's the opposite impact.