Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ummagumma
Jul 19, 2004
skydog
His decline was swift after he signed the extension, but he's one of the best defensemen the Hawks ever had. Not too surprising he can't keep playing given the extent of his injuries and all of the surgeries he had last year.

As for the LTIR, the Hawks announced he was just placed on it along with Seabrook's announcement. I guess they can just do that until his contract expires? I'm not too familiar with the rule on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I hope they still have to at least cover his NMC in the expansion draft or that's some more cap-fuckery poo poo

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!
Ahem. Feb 22nd.

MaoistBanker posted:

I see the "talented young team floundering against expectations" news out of Calgary and would like to remind them that the town of Viking, Alberta is only 3 hours NE.

LOL, would love to see the "high-flying high-scoring" Calgary Flames turned into a defensive minded grindhouse of "win as many games 2-1" as possible.

Glambags
Dec 28, 2003

I thought Sutter "retired"?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Furnaceface posted:

Dallas is the new Minnesota. Perpetually mediocre.

That hits incredibly close. And is factually correct since 1993.

While it is frustrating to be a perennial wild card team, I still do rather watch them in the playoffs for one or two rounds than suffer the fate of just being terrible year after year. One of these years it’s going to stick (probably after the Parise/Suter contracts are done) and they’ll make a run and lose in the conference finals again.

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

Glambags posted:

I thought Sutter "retired"?

He's been shoveling cow poo poo and when he's not been doing that he and Chris have been in Ontario a lot to watch Brett play with the Reign.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Loving Hextall in the corner of that picture looking up at Sutter like "what in the hell is this guy doing?"

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Medical retirements still let you get paid and the player gets put on LTIR.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I hope they still have to at least cover his NMC in the expansion draft or that's some more cap-fuckery poo poo

I imagine, at worst, they'll get him to waive it without a problem.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

If he's medically unable to play he doesn't have to be covered in the expansion draft either and Seattle can't select him.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I’m perfectly fine with the change. Ward was the very definition of mediocre, and this year was just making the most baffling decisions at times.

I said it earlier in the year, they were gonna change the coach before GM, and if Sutter doesn’t work out I easily see Treliving getting the boot. As far as Sutter is concerned he’s been in the Calgary system before and knows how things are done. So sure, give him a shot. If it doesn’t work out it’s not like the team was winning beforehand anyway. I think it then become obvious you’ve got a poo poo core and you blow it up.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Very excited for Treliving to get the boot for Darryl Sutter GM

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
Seabrook had 3 surgeries in 3 months last off-season, one on each hip and one on his shoulder. I don't think there's any doubt that he's actually medically unable to play.

I love that he was a Hawk for life and even though he was a liability after signing his extension, he's still one of the best Blackhawks defensemen ever.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Ummagumma posted:

His decline was swift after he signed the extension, but he's one of the best defensemen the Hawks ever had. Not too surprising he can't keep playing given the extent of his injuries and all of the surgeries he had last year.

As for the LTIR, the Hawks announced he was just placed on it along with Seabrook's announcement. I guess they can just do that until his contract expires? I'm not too familiar with the rule on that.

Isn't that what they did with Hossa as well? Sucks these great players have to hang it up but I'm glad to he got paid for winning 3 titles after a 50 year drought

Ummagumma
Jul 19, 2004
skydog

mastershakeman posted:

Isn't that what they did with Hossa as well? Sucks these great players have to hang it up but I'm glad to he got paid for winning 3 titles after a 50 year drought

Ah, right. I think it was the same thing. Shortly after they did that, they traded Hossa to Arizona, and now he's on LTIR there.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER

Misanthrope posted:

You preferred Ward? The team is pretty much unwatchable right now.

I didn't say I preferred Ward. I will now start watching again...but I don't know if Sutter's the right fit. Hope so! Hope he plays the poo poo out of Kylington.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Jhet posted:

That hits incredibly close. And is factually correct since 1993.

While it is frustrating to be a perennial wild card team, I still do rather watch them in the playoffs for one or two rounds than suffer the fate of just being terrible year after year. One of these years it’s going to stick (probably after the Parise/Suter contracts are done) and they’ll make a run and lose in the conference finals again

:hmbol: You maybe be a terrible poster, but you're a decent comedian.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Ummagumma posted:

Ah, right. I think it was the same thing. Shortly after they did that, they traded Hossa to Arizona, and now he's on LTIR there.
You could probably create one hell of a hockey team from all of Arizona's contract dumps

Hossa, Datsyuk, Pronger come to mind immediately

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK

mennoknight posted:

I didn't say I preferred Ward. I will now start watching again...but I don't know if Sutter's the right fit. Hope so! Hope he plays the poo poo out of Kylington.

Fair enough, I think 2.5 years of Darryl is a good shelf life.. as long as

this doesn't happen.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

How about a scheme where coaches are paid by the league, and every month they show up at a rink and throw their sticks in a pile and Bettman draws them out one by one to determine which team they will coach for the next month.

It's kind of what they do already, it's always the same faces bouncing around to different teams. But my way you can make it part of the entertainment.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

shyduck posted:

You could probably create one hell of a hockey team from all of Arizona's contract dumps

Hossa, Datsyuk, Pronger come to mind immediately

I'm almost positive DGB did exactly this once.

If not, he should

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

So I imagine Backlund/Lindholm and the defense liking Sutter well enough but it seems like Monahan and Gaudreau are in for a bad time

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Cocaine Bear posted:

:hmbol: You maybe be a terrible poster, but you're a decent comedian.

This is true, and I appreciate it.

There's a certain sort of attitude one must have to never be disappointed in your sports teams when they don't win every year*. Once you achieve that, anytime they make the playoffs is a bonus. (I was also pre-coffee and was talking about actual MN).

*Ask me about UMN hockey sometime, because drat was that consistently harrowing for a lot of years. Good in the WCHA, then lose in the first round of the NCAA.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
https://twitter.com/benpopecst/status/1367868460877905920?s=21

https://twitter.com/BenPopeCST/status/1367870003257741317?s=20

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Sutter is an abusive rear end in a top hat whose last team literally barricaded him out of the locker room because they hated him so much but I'm sure this will go fine

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Brian Burke sighs heavily and starts flipping through his rolodex for Randy Carlyle's number

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Eric the Mauve posted:

Brian Burke sighs heavily and starts flipping through his rolodex for Randy Carlyle's number

I'd throw Maurice in there but he's apparently been appointed Winnipeg coach for life regardless of coaching outcomes.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
Taking a trip down Seabrook memory lane :allears:

https://twitter.com/NHLBlackhawks/status/1367861904677437444

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
Can't forget about his triple overtime winner as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiaXR9DKIL8

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Eric the Mauve posted:

Going to reunite the Mike Blabcock rehabilitation tour with Sid and it's going to blow chunks.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Toftbo's goal being called back made that the hardest OT to watch in all OT's I've ever watched. I'm still kinda mad about it.

The Golden Man
Aug 4, 2007

That was fuckin cool when Ovi speared that dork in the nuts

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFmVrB2MnAE

peak 2010s blackhawks

ugly charging penalty
duncan keith being a repugnant human being
blonde lady in green blackhawks jersey, who I'm sure continues to follow the team closely

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

Koopa Kid posted:

Sutter is an abusive rear end in a top hat whose last team literally barricaded him out of the locker room because they hated him so much but I'm sure this will go fine

Only after 2 cups tho lol

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Vanacek in goal again for the Caps tonight against Boston. He’s started 19/23 games this year...

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Ummagumma posted:

I'd forgotten about the Blackhawks and their escrow teams in Carolina, Florida, and Phoenix.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/1367901343466323969

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
https://twitter.com/RickCarpiniello/status/1367899096762171401

Plllllease be ok Igor.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/reporterchris/status/1367902453551800321

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/IneffectiveMath/status/1367907723753488394