Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

the source is Ali Abdelaziz, though, and I trust him roughly as much as I can throw him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keptbroom
Sep 10, 2009
If it was actually potatoes in the bag then he should be fired again for being a colossal dumb rear end.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/PhotoAmy33/status/1367216659044257792?s=20

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
https://www.espn.com/mma/story/_/id/30999455/ufc-releases-heavyweights-junior-dos-santos-alistair-overeem

Dogshit company

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Which aspect are you protesting? JDS should not be earning money as a fighter.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Blows my mind how many times Overeem fought for the UFC considering how deep into his career he already was when he got there.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Lets see a Steroid Endgame Overeem. Overeems final form finally.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

gently caress YES UBEREEM 2.0

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

They're cutting past-their-prime heavyweights?

Someone check on Arlovski!

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

CommonShore posted:

Blows my mind how many times Overeem fought for the UFC considering how deep into his career he already was when he got there.

Blows my mind that the Rothwell fight, which I saw as the end of his UFC title aspirations, was seven years and 15 fights ago, including a pretty long win streak and a title shot.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Untrustable posted:

They're cutting past-their-prime heavyweights?

Someone check on Arlovski!

I believe Overeem and JDS were making like $400k above-board to fight, and Arlovski isn't too far below that, so he should definitely be afraid. Tom Aspinall was only guaranteed $30k to fight him, jesus christ.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
if overeem had fought cain at the right time i think he would've been champ for sure. just didn't happen that way.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

CarlCX posted:

I believe Overeem and JDS were making like $400k above-board to fight, and Arlovski isn't too far below that, so he should definitely be afraid. Tom Aspinall was only guaranteed $30k to fight him, jesus christ.

I've honestly been expecting him to be cut since he ended his last "good" run in 2013-2015. He's long overdue for a retirement to BKFC. Dude was on UFC 28. God drat.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Untrustable posted:

I've honestly been expecting him to be cut since he ended his last "good" run in 2013-2015. He's long overdue for a retirement to BKFC. Dude was on UFC 28. God drat.

He's got mileage. You have to go 17 fights deep into Arlovski's career before you find an opponent who isn't currently either retired or dead.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

CarlCX posted:

He's got mileage. You have to go 17 fights deep into Arlovski's career before you find an opponent who isn't currently either retired or dead.

drat. Just a testament to how good he is; killing or retiring 16 opponents.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Southpaugh posted:

Lets see a Steroid Endgame Overeem. Overeems final form finally.

Well this is what Sakakibara had to say: https://twitter.com/tomtaymma/status/1367460949138014210?s=21

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

https://twitter.com/Shak_Fu/status/1367519151472877569?s=20

Given his history with COVID I'm guessing he was beefin with someone who wasn't following mask policies and not the other way around, but still lol

edit: nvm, cant give this guy benefit of the doubt

cody's ig posted:

"Got kicked off because my 2-year-old son wouldn’t put his mask over his face. This coward flight attendant hid his bitch rear end in the bathroom."

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
Cody's dumbass levels are on another loving level

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009
He is so, so dumb. Just so drat dumb.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

I feel like I remember reading an article proclaiming Cody the future of the division back when he danced all over Dom and dedicated the win to the kid with cancer he had been bringing with him :allears:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

beep by grandpa posted:

Given his history with COVID I'm guessing he was beefin with someone who wasn't following mask policies and not the other way around, but still lol

edit: nvm, cant give this guy benefit of the doubt

Haven't watched the video to see what he said/yelled, but given it's a 2yo, I don't necessarily read it as Cody being anti-mask. All his usual dumbassness still applies to the situation, though.

Nis
Feb 21, 2011

:allears:

Brut posted:

Has he worked a PPV?

i remember his extremely poo poo commentary for the conor/khabib fight

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

kimbo305 posted:

Haven't watched the video to see what he said/yelled, but given it's a 2yo, I don't necessarily read it as Cody being anti-mask. All his usual dumbassness still applies to the situation, though.

lol yeah, I'm assuming the mask thing was just a 2yo on a plane being fussy and instead of anyone being patient with a kid it turned into Cody wanting to fight a flight attendant.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Lol if Cody ends up on the no-fly list and can only fight in Cali and Vegas

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Nis posted:

i remember his extremely poo poo commentary for the conor/khabib fight

Oh yeah I should have at least remembered that, gently caress.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
https://twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/1367609667262836738?s=21

Big fan of Nunes dressing like a player 2 Liu Kang skin.

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
Megan seems really cool which makes it really sad when she dies.

Feel free to quote this at me when she ices Nunes in record time somehow

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I think the bigger issue for Megan is that even if she strikes with Amanda more comfortably than GDR did, she is almost certainly a worse grappler than GDR.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Yeah Megan got grappled by loving Holly Holm, I know that was like two years ago but still

Also I really hope Dom gets loving smoked again and tries to make more excuses

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Oh I think nunes anderson probably looks alot like Nunes GDR, but I don't think anderson has anything like the experience GDR had going into that fight. It'll be either a brutal mauling on the ground by nunes or nunes knocks her out on her feet and makes her look like she shouldn't have been in there.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
https://twitter.com/bjpenndotcom/status/1367673870208016384

dana white: just fight, you stupid pussy!

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

I don't understand the GDR-Anderson comparison. GDR is actually good at striking and was giving Nunes problems on the feet. Has there been any evidence of Anderson being elite at striking?

I honestly can't remember her showing great skills in this area, and being poo poo at grappling doesn't mean she's good at the other big thing. Admittedly, all I do remember of her is getting owned by Holm on the ground and that weird Zingano fight. Though Wikipedia tells me she somehow managed to string together 2 wins over fighters with made up names in this made up division.

And yeah, Dana has such a weird hard on for Khabib and Chimaev returning to fight.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

FishBowlRobot posted:

I don't understand the GDR-Anderson comparison. GDR is actually good at striking and was giving Nunes problems on the feet. Has there been any evidence of Anderson being elite at striking?

I honestly can't remember her showing great skills in this area, and being poo poo at grappling doesn't mean she's good at the other big thing. Admittedly, all I do remember of her is getting owned by Holm on the ground and that weird Zingano fight. Though Wikipedia tells me she somehow managed to string together 2 wins over fighters with made up names in this made up division.

And yeah, Dana has such a weird hard on for Khabib and Chimaev returning to fight.

It's not so much that she's elite at striking, but (as I put it in the breakdown) the tools you'd want to use to fight Nunes on the feet happen to be Anderson best tools, which gives her a bit of a fighting chance in one narrow but unavoidable phase of the fight, which from my perspective is more something to discuss for the sake of discussion than it is an actual likely outcome of the fight. One of my favourite things in the leadup to the fight is to work out what the likely game plans are for either fighter and to game theory out the paths to victory.

If Anderson wins, it'll likely be because she catches Nunes early with a straight right as Nunes moves into range, and then moves forward and catches her with a 1-2-high kick to end it. She's actually pretty good at 1-2s and 1-2-high kicks.

If literally anything other than that happens, Nunes wins. That's it.

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
With Reem gone, is Shogun the last Pride fighter left in the UFC?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

What’s a better striker.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Hollandia posted:

With Reem gone, is Shogun the last Pride fighter left in the UFC?

The only one you'd call a Pride Fighter, yeah. If you count people who've made Pride appearances at all, Robbie Lawler's the last one left standing. (Nick Diaz could potentially also be on this list.)

GTO
Sep 16, 2003

Crazy really that there are still any competitors from 15+ years ago still competing at the top level in an elite sport that is so obviously hard on the body.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/jhkmma/status/1367484209418407936

it's been so long since Choi had a good fight that i don't actually remember why i was hyped for him. but hey, he's had like 14 months off to rest his hot brains now, hopefully he can come back strong

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Aye Doc posted:

https://twitter.com/jhkmma/status/1367484209418407936

it's been so long since Choi had a good fight that i don't actually remember why i was hyped for him. but hey, he's had like 14 months off to rest his hot brains now, hopefully he can come back strong

You're hyped for him because in any fight you're likely to have seen, he has either knocked his opponent out or generated Fight of the Night while trying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

Shirkelton posted:

What’s a better striker.

What’s a worse grappler.

Shirkelton posted:

I think the bigger issue for Megan is that even if she strikes with Amanda more comfortably than GDR did, she is almost certainly a worse grappler than GDR.