Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Delizin
Nov 9, 2005

It may not be interracial, but it is black and white.
My friends and I used to play the poo poo outta shadowbane back on live, then magicbane and sbemu. Even played with goons when we were in some nation allied with weird transgendered white supremacists.

I got a bit excited when I saw it pop up on Steam, but reviews were saying that the Chinese company that bought it decided to take the game in a P2W direction by selling endgame gear, conc pots and banes. I don't really care about them selling gear since that isn't a huge deal once you get a city built up, but only being able to get conc pots or banes with real money really annoys me. Conc pots were great for helping cut back on the need for multiboxing buff bots to some degree.

So is the P2W stuff true and how are the microtransactions affecting the game?

Edit: I hopped in discord and talked to Ipsum. Probably gonna end up grabbing my friends and playing later.

Delizin fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Mar 13, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delizin
Nov 9, 2005

It may not be interracial, but it is black and white.
I joined up with a few friends and we're starting to level and gear up.

SweetBro posted:

Explain to me how this game is fun. From the twitch video you linked, PvP seems to be devoid of skill and an experience that's identical to large fleet battles in EVE where everyone just an ally on follow and pressed F1 at whomever you're told is primary.

Just my 2 cents here:

Big fights like sieges and mine battles tend to be very chaotic and it is hard to pull off skillful combat. A lot of big fights depend on placement and a good command team calling the proper maneuvers and targets in addition to having a well built force.

Tonight we had a mine fight that was roughly 50 verses 50. Our group won the battle because we had good scouts providing intel on the enemy groups movements and then when we engaged we had mage assassins that were able to shadow mantle the targets stopping their healers from being able to heal them.

Smaller fights on the other hand require a lot more skill on the individuals part. Unlike most other mmos these days, pvp is not a rock paper scissors between classes. Two characters with the same race and class can be built and played extremely differently. Player skill and experience is required to identify different playstyles and counter them.

Class and levels definitely factor into the equation during pvp, but it's not just a numbers game. A well played level 50 character can kill a level 75 character and a well played solo player can kill a group of players.

I've been playing this game on and off for years, both on live and then again on the emulators when they came up. I really haven't played any games that have nearly as much depth to character building and pvp.