Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I've posted this around the forums a few times, last time being in Sept in the Switch thread, so I figure this is as good a place as any to repost.

-----

Oh! I wanna take a second to tell you all about the time I sort of met Charles Martinet (the voice of Mario), back in 2009 or 2010, can't remember.

I was working for a web hosting company called Hostopia. We handled a bunch of companies who had the same or similar backend. So, when we'd get a call, it'd show up on our phone who we were supposed to be speaking on behalf of.

I get a call, it pops up "X7 Hosting". I greet the caller, and the guy gives me his info and wants to know about billing, plus he wants his FTP info.

I see the name "Charles Martinet" pop up on screen, and I immedialty know who that is. My team lead is a fellow nerd, and he's working today, so I stand up, snap my fingers at him, and wave him over. He's totally confused, kind of put off (for anything else, it would've been rude) but comes over. I'm telling Mr Martinet that I'll have to put him on hold for a minute while I get the info he wants (I already have it in front of me, I just wanted to show my TL who I was talking to).

So I put him on hold, and turn to my TL, Terry.

Me: "Terry!! Look who it is!!"
Terry: "Holy poo poo! What does he want?"
Me: "FTP info and then I have to transfer him to billing."
Terry: "Is it really him?"
Me: *clicking on the button that pulls up a given client's website*

It was very much THE Charles Martinet. His website was admittedly horribly laid out, and I think the background was purple, but whatever. It was him.

Me: "Terry, stay right here, I'm gonna say something..."

So, I take Charles Martinet off hold.

Me: "Alright, Mr Martinet, sorry for the hold. I have your FTP info here, it's (username / password), and though I'm not trained in billing, I can certainly transfer you to that dept.

Charles Martinet: "Sure, that'd be great, thanks."

Me: "Before I let you go, sir, I just wanted to say that I really appreciate your work, I love it, and I hope that you continue to bring so much happiness to people for many, many years" (I mentally practiced that before I said it, I didn't want to fumble it)

CM: "Oh, how sweet of you to say!..."

and without missing a beat, he then shouts, in his best Mario voice....

"T'ank you veddy much!!"

I laugh, Terry could hear it from my headset, he laughs out loud, and I tell Charles that he just made my day, I thank him and then transfer him to billing.

Charles Martinet is incredible. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU