Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

I never wanted anyone or crypto chat banned in the gpu thread but I can understand why it happened.

My main complaint was I didn’t want to be sold things in the gpu thread.

Be it coins, mining services, or even GPUs.

Once a place becomes a marketing dumping ground it becomes useless to have a genuine conversation.

I still feel like a dedicated crypto thread makes sense, but there is one in GBS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The one in GBS is, largely, Pillory and Stocks kind of thing where we drive by with e-tomatos.

One that's a bit more technical is probably warranted if tbe evangelism keeps to a minimum. There's some legitimately useful things to know about like "Bitcoin caps out at 8 transactions" or revisions to ETH codebase to make it less intensive.
E: above said with regards to a Crypto thread in SH/SC, not GPU chat.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Apr 28, 2021

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

FilthyImp posted:

The one in GBS is, largely, Pillory and Stocks kind of thing where we drive by with e-tomatos.

One that's a bit more technical is probably warranted if tbe evangelism keeps to a minimum. There's some legitimately useful things to know about like "Bitcoin caps out at 8 transactions" or revisions to ETH codebase to make it less intensive.

Why is that useful knowledge for the Gpu thread?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Internet Explorer posted:

Thanks for taking the time to post your thoughts over here. To be clear, I didn't have a problem with your post and only quoted it to keep the context of Craptacular's post. Craptacular honestly knows better, and I was trying to be nice by just dropping a silly image macro instead of posting text or probing or whatever.
I know better yet I want you to see that nobody flies off the handle or actually calls the mods or destroys the thread.

poo poo, I'll be the first to admit that most of my own complaining about cryptochat was actually complaining about Fauxtool disguised as complaining about cryptochat. Crypto boomed in 2017, some of us mined as a goofy experiment, others complained about prices, everyone lamented the ecological impacts, and that guy with the Jeb Bush avatar got a few burritos as a reward for running his computer. What we didn't have was hustlers. Crypto itself is not the problem, it's the hustle of it. It's talking about how to use international markets to evade US laws demanding the identity of everyone buying it, it's the morality debate on not reporting properly on your taxes, it's the boasting about your daily take. This is what does not belong in the GPU thread.

Frankly, I'm fine with a crypto thread in a forum like BFC. It isn't going to be a 'safe space' for vulture investment or pump and dump scams, but people can debate crypto on it's economic merits in BFC. I will not go into BFC and post "you assholes making money ar fukkin it up for us gamers >:(" there even though that has roughly been my reaction to such posts in SH/SC.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 10:15 on May 12, 2021

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

If you really 100% do not know or cannot say for some reason that's one thing but can we ban "Pay: Competitive" in the job posting thread

That poo poo is bullshit in real life and it's even more bullshit here

edit: yes sorry to the last poster this is a direct reply to their post but its maddening. especially when youre possibly hiring a "hobbyist" who will struggle to value themselves in an industry known for being poo poo.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

bus hustler posted:

If you really 100% do not know or cannot say for some reason that's one thing but can we ban "Pay: Competitive" in the job posting thread

That poo poo is bullshit in real life and it's even more bullshit here

edit: yes sorry to the last poster this is a direct reply to their post but its maddening. especially when youre possibly hiring a "hobbyist" who will struggle to value themselves in an industry known for being poo poo.

I'm generally in agreement with you and it's actually illegal not to include the salary range in a job posting where I live, but is there any practical difference between not including it and having it be nonsense? And if we require the salary range to be posted, do we think it will just lead to less job postings?

Serious question. Like I said, I agree with you in spirit, just not sure exactly how we'd do this. I'm not sure I agree with just outright banning a certain string of phrases that isn't much different than just not including them at all.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

I guess I'm thinking the difference between a "this job isn't public and I'm posting it here, sorry I can't disclose" vs "i've copied the indeed posting and we're choosing not to" but i guess even a "darfur orphans clause" making the OP at least fib about why they can't post it?

its tough because i know a lot of people just post like "hey my team needs a person" and aren't the HR Hiring Contact, but "competitive" just super rubs me the wrong way.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I have a couple of technical, not-really-game-related questions about the PS5. Do we have a relevant thread for that or do I take it to Games?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

HARDWARE short questions seems to be the catch-all thread. Depending on the questions games may well be a better place.

ndnikola
Jan 11, 2019
Hello goon world,

Thinking of purchasing a pre-build PC mainly for gaming (COD warzone) and perhaps entertainment (streaming films etc) - ideally this would last me at least a couple of years without the need for a major refurbishment / upgrade. My current gaming rig is a base PS4, so hoping for a reasonable upgrade to at least my gaming FPS and experience.

Have my eyes on this one in particular, any thoughts?

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/produc...x-3070/15397183

Note that I am in Canada (QC) and would rather go for a pre-build than parts unless there is a considerable price differential.

Thanks in advance!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

This fantastic thread should be able to help you out. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3970266

This thread here is for feedback regarding SH/SC itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ndnikola
Jan 11, 2019
Ah, thanks very much. Feel free to delete previous, will post there!