Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Re: the GPU thread, you just can't have a sensible conversation about GPUs and their availability these days without reference to what's going on with Crypto. We are 5 months on from the launch of a new generation of Nvidia and Amd cards and they're all still gold dust and unavailable in large part because they're being snapped up by cryptominers. That means conversations about what makes these cards good or bad for mining and what the manufacturers are doing in response and what to look for in the crypto markets as a sign that miners are going to stop hoovering up all the stock are all valid and relevant conversations.

In my view the thing about standing threads, particularly ones where it can be months between real news updates relating to the core topic, is that they work best if they're allowed a bit of latitude for the natural ebb and flow of conversation to go a little bit off topic for a few days as long as its not disruptive and toxic and the conversation bounces back once there's something real to talk about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

CoolCab posted:

I've only been here a minute - sometimes the GPU thread feels like some of the threads in DnD or other places where some specific argument is banned, everyone knows and secretly wants to keep it going and as such people snipe their arguments backhanded or in other places (like this thread). Specifically there are also several crypto threads already - I think in both YOSPOS and GBS?

I think it's going to come up but don't understand why it becomes the whole of the thread - covid will occasionally come up when we are discussing the scarcity issues but the thread never becomes a covid thread. At worst it feels like people want a space isolated from the existing space to discuss these topics for some unarticulated reason and that makes me very suspect.

COVID is a reason why GPUs are scarce, but half of all GPU supply or whatever isn't being diverted to running cycles on COVID. I am pro-mocking crypto people but I think the thread should be comfortable with discussion that reasonably remains within the bounds of 'use of a GPU'.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

denereal visease posted:

cross-posting this from the GPU thread

I don't think it makes sense to have two GPU threads split like that: would a new or returning builder have to post in one thread to figure out which card they want, then post in another thread to figure out how to get it in the 2021 hellscape?

I don't think it makes sense either. It's a thread that moves extremely quickly when there are announcements and new releases, and otherwise quite slowly. There's not really enough content to support both. The 'build a PC' thread can cover the basics of 'which GPU do I want to buy'.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

My considered view is that people complaining about Crypto and scalping make threads worse than the people who briefly raise them.