Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 43 minutes!
Buglord
Re crypto/GPU thread split:

Does crypto talk prevent anyone from talking about GPUs or getting GPU related questions answered?

I’d say leave the GPU thread alone and let the crypto talk exist within it. If there were pages of people asking about how to clock/volt their GPUs exclusively for mining, that would be an easy decision. Crypto sucks and I hate it, but right now it seems like the two are very tightly linked.

On the flipside, splitting it into two threads doesn’t cost anything, and it’s a reversible decision. So it can’t hurt to try. But in this dumb poster’s opinion, splitting threads seems more trouble than it’s worth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 43 minutes!
Buglord

CoolCab posted:

i can understand your perspective here but i would have to politely disagree, i don't mind little diversions like "post your rig" because it can help de-escalate tension sometimes. i think threads that can get contentious need breathers like that, it promotes a more healthy environment even if it is a little off topic. the gpu thread can otherwise devolve into nothing but sniping at each other and lamenting shortages.

Yeah I enjoyed the rig posting. GPUs are in a crappy place rn and Id prefer the slightly off topic chats over a much quieter one. The level of crypto chat seems fine and I still don’t think it really needs to be its own thread at this point, but I don’t really feel strongly one way or the other since any changes are free and reversible. I think a hands off approach to policing the scope of the GPU thread is fine, just as long as any passerby’s can post a question about GPUs and get an answer without being ignored by unrelated convos.