Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Greetings goon friends!

Believe it or not, the admin/mod team spends a lot of time talking about how to make the forums the best place it can be. Sometimes we nail it, sometimes we don’t, but there’s a lot of effort that goes into it. And we’re constantly trying to get better at it.

One way we try to make the forums better is listening to feedback. That feedback can take many forms. Traditionally it has been PMs, QCS, or even conversations in-thread about an issue. Each one of these methods servse a purpose, but they also have their downsides. PMs are generally a 1-on-1 conversation. QCS can involve the SA population at large weighing in on an issue. In-thread can obnoxiously derail a thread.

A new idea that has been implemented in a few subforums is the concept of a subforum-specifc feedback thread. These have been used successfully in some of the more… contentious subforums and we would like to give it a try here. For the most part, SH/SC is very quiet and easy to moderate. But quiet and easy to moderate doesn’t mean there aren’t ways we could improve.

So that’s what this thread is. A timeboxed opportunity for folks to give feedback and talk things through. We’ll try to do these fairly regularly, and we’re open to thoughts about what exactly this should look like. We would like to keep it fairly open, but here are a couple of topics to get us started:
  • How is moderation going in general? Do you want to see more moderation, less moderation, or are things on track? Any specific threads or examples to go with this?
  • How are the megathreads doing? Do any of them need refreshing, combining, or breaking up? Do we need new ones? If you’d like to contribute to a megathread re-write or start a new one, we’d like to hear from you!
  • How do you feel about the SH/SC forum rules? Are we missing anything? Is there anything you'd like to see removed? Keep in mind that SH/SC, and many other subforums, also incorporate the GBS rules.
  • What do you think about a general monthly/quarterly "chat" thread, that gets closed and reset on an interval? How about the various ongoing "IT chat" threads that exist today? We're not advocating for it, but do folks think those should be combined?
Anyways, we're excited to give this a shot. Please do not use this as an opportunity to helldump people or be jerks to one another. It's been an incredibly difficult year for everyone, so please approach this and each other with kindness. SH/SC is the best place to talk tech on the internet and we just want to make sure we are working to keep it that way. Please let us know your thoughts!

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Mar 9, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

i am a moron posted:

Someone recently spammed every thread I have bookmarked with a link and I haven’t seen mods take any action thanks for taking time to hear my concerns

:laugh:

I knew this was coming. I just wanted to make sure no one got left out!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

movax and I are discussing a lot of this feedback even if we're not replying to folks specifically just yet. Keep it coming!

Sickening posted:

I am still of the thought that the working in IT, poo poo that pisses me off, and the ticket thread have no distinction between them and should be merged.

I'm not going to lie, I'm of the same opinion and I kinda snuck in a bit about that into the OP. I don't feel strongly about it though. Maybe the montly chat thread could take their places, but I definitely don't want to be too pushy on that.

nielsm posted:

A way to "wikify" thread OPs would be nice, but even just a way to transfer ownership could help a lot of unmaintained threads like that.

SA vBulletin to Discourse migration when????
https://meta.discourse.org/t/what-is-a-wiki-post/30801

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

So hey, let's all try to keep it comradely in here and keep it to feedback about the forums. Where exactly GPU/crypto-mining discussions should happen is absolutely something that has to be hashed out (:imunfunny:), and it's one of the main reasons for this thread, but again, talking about the topic itself is not what this thread is for.

This has been a great thread so far. Let's try to keep it that way.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Potato Salad posted:

The contention over cryptomining is that it can piggyback other topics in order to evangelize an economically and environmentally harmful practice?

e: ^sorry

No need to apologize. That's exactly what we're looking for here. Discussions about discussions on the topic, not discussions on the topic itself.

Yes, in my opinion this is the problem. It's similar to how Gamergate was all-encompassing in Games and had to be outright forbidden. I can't imagine we'd go that route here, but it's a similarly incendiary topic. I have an opinion on it, and it's pretty clear what that opinion is, but my main concern as a mod is not having the two sides of the argument create a cesspool that causes all other posters to be run off.

[Edit: Another example is how talk about Elon Musk is more or less banned from the EV or Space threads.]

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Stanley Pain posted:

I certainly hope everyone that's complaining about bitcoins ruining the planet are either a) Vegan b) self sufficient hunters that do not rely on agri business for their meat as well as driving an electric car while wearing re-used clothing bought from a thrift shop.

Hi. This is not the thread to discuss the morality of cryptocurrency.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Arivia posted:

Since I was kind of half-responsible for it, I'm curious what the mods think of the YouTube tech idiots thread. I personally like it and think that it's great we have a place to talk about the various tech youtubers at a technical level in the smaller more-informed group, but it does sometimes get pretty trashy (like someone linking thunderfoot for some reason). I'm kind of anxious it will suddenly explode in a giant drama burnout, and it might be worth just touching base to make sure that doesn't happen ahead of time.

I can't say I've even been in the thread, which is certainly a good thing as it means it gets no reports. I'll check it out. I'm not sure I 100% understand what you're saying, but if you're concerned we'll try to keep an eye on it. Thanks for the heads up!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Just wanted to say thanks for everyone who gave feedback so far and approached this topic and each other with kindness. Lots of good feedback and movax and I have been discussing things in the background. We've been purposefully trying to avoid replying too much, so we weren't putting our thumbs on the scale. We'll be working on compiling the feedback and posting our thoughts, but please do keep 'em coming.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

jaegerx posted:

I’ve got like 5 posts I want to sell on nft. Where are we on that?

Stop trolling me jaegerx

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I'm going to tell CLAM that you're cheating on him

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

I saw this come through my feed today:

Looks like you got your answer, but on whether this should go in the YouTube Nerd Drama thread or the GPU thread, I personally would make the call of "is this a significant event in the GPU industry, or is this just YT drama?" With my only context being the tweets you linked, I'd lean towards the later. And keep in mind discussions could be had in both threads, no real rule against that and it happens pretty often in other SH/SC threads.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Thanks everyone for participating in the feedback thread. Sorry for the lack of updates, I was moving over the past week and have been a bit preoccupied. movax and I will get together and put together some thoughts / findings and post them here for further feedback.

In good news, I don't think we had a single report over the week I was moving, so thanks SH/SC for being awesome.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Sickening posted:

I am going to troll reports across dozens of threads when I find time later.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Khanstant posted:

Hello, there doesn't seem to be a chat thread or general small questions thread that I saw. Just wondering if there is a thread for Adobe poo poo, photoshop/illustrator mainly? Alternatively, if anyone just happens to know how to make a custom template become a default option in illustrator rather than me hunting down our template file to open manually... that'd be keen!

If it's on Windows, I would check the Windows thread here - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3137721
If it's on Mac, I would check the Mac thread here - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3426005

Alternatively, it seems like Creative Convention has a general chat thread. I would be one of those folks know if you don't get an answer in the threads above - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3860127

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

kensei posted:

Did this get posted and I miss it? Just curious what you are going to do with all the suggestions...

It didn't, and that's my bad. I moved a couple of weeks ago and now the vaccinated parents and in-laws are in a rush to visit, so we're in a bit of a scramble. Movax and I have reviewed and come up with a plan, it just hasn't been polished and pushed out yet. Soon my goon friends! Thank you again for all the feedback and patience.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Appreciate the feedback, all. I saw the slightly off-topic posts and decided to let them keep going organically rather than telling everyone to take it to the post your build thread. If it keeps (kept?) going on longer, I likely would have asked folks to move it to the other thread.

[edit: Looks like it did go on a bit longer. I've asked people to post in the Post Your Desktop / PC Building threads, accordingly. I noticed that there's not a "Post Your Builds!" thread, but I feel like that would easily turn into the PC Building thread, and I do know people post build pics in there, so I feel like that's a good place for it. Let me know if you feel strongly either way.]

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Apr 22, 2021

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Harik posted:

This is the exact "everything must be stuffed into the exact cabinet I have for it" issue. There's a difference between people talking about related things that they all enjoy vs a few people coming in on a tangentially related antagonistic topic to promote/gloat about. You can generally tell the difference by the tone. Nearly everyone gets pissed at the crypto/scalper chat. They reacted mostly positively to pictures of PCs.

I mostly agree with you and that's why my post in the thread was worded as it was. A mention of the other threads to help drive traffic to them and not a "don't post this here." There's obviously a subjective call for when a thread has gone too off topic versus when it's just a nice organic conversation. Different people will have reasonable interpretations of when that is and different people will have reasonable expectations for "I didn't come to this thread to read thing B, when it's a thread about thing A."

Feedback noted, though. I probably didn't need to post about it at all, and likely wouldn't do it again in the future.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Harik posted:

Your post was fine and a fairly gentle way to nudge a topic but do build pics really "belong" in the parts picking thread? People seem post them there because the thread helped them build this so they come back to share it once they finished it, as a kind of "thanks for the help, I did it!" or something. I'm not sure that means people randomly dropping by with pictures of their computer really belongs there.

You and I are very much on the same page! That's what you can see me struggling with when I mentioned the fact that we don't have a "Post Your Builds!" thread, and then saying that I thought that would just turn into a PC building thread. I think the right answer is that pictures of builds are welcome in most threads in SH/SC. Although I almost wrote "every" as a joke instead of "most" and thought that maybe the networking thread might not appreciate it. :allears:

Okay, DO OVER PLEASE. Post your build pictures. Just. Post.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Black Sunshine posted:

So here we are.

That was the extent of the "discussion". It wasn't a derail in the slightest bit so I'm not exactly sure why it required a mod wagging their finger about it. Nobody is getting deep into crypto chat there, it's more of a passing thought about its role in the GPU shortage which is very much relevant to "GPU talk" in general. I agree that any deep dive into crypto should be contained elsewhere because I can imagine it's derailed many discussions all over this sub-forum. I normally wouldn't even have mentioned it but the small "post your rig" detour, which helped the thread come back from an actual train wreck, was also met with a "don't do this here" type of response. I'm asking for clarification on what exactly can be talked about in that thread because it seems to me like it's being strictly policed.

Thanks for posting this here. I will post some thoughts in the morning.

Sickening posted:

Asking a question about miner ROI in a thread where people are told not to talk about crypto doesn't seem that complex to navigate to me. :thunk:

Dial it back a notch, please. You didn't have to follow them to this thread and they were asked to post here.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Black Sunshine posted:

So here we are.

That was the extent of the "discussion". It wasn't a derail in the slightest bit so I'm not exactly sure why it required a mod wagging their finger about it. Nobody is getting deep into crypto chat there, it's more of a passing thought about its role in the GPU shortage which is very much relevant to "GPU talk" in general. I agree that any deep dive into crypto should be contained elsewhere because I can imagine it's derailed many discussions all over this sub-forum. I normally wouldn't even have mentioned it but the small "post your rig" detour, which helped the thread come back from an actual train wreck, was also met with a "don't do this here" type of response. I'm asking for clarification on what exactly can be talked about in that thread because it seems to me like it's being strictly policed.

Black Sunshine posted:

It was more of a "wow this poo poo is crazy" thought than actually asking for a breakdown of how long it takes to achieve ROI with mining. It was also said in the context of GPU scarcity, my post wasn't "hey guys so tell me how to become a millionaire with crypto!". You're acting like I asked for a book report on the subject and it's really weird. I'm not a regular here so maybe I missed the "great crypto wars" that caused the mere utterance of a single word to be such a big deal?

sweet meme btw

Thanks for taking the time to post your thoughts over here. To be clear, I didn't have a problem with your post and only quoted it to keep the context of Craptacular's post. Craptacular honestly knows better, and I was trying to be nice by just dropping a silly image macro instead of posting text or probing or whatever.

There was definitely a time where cryptocurrency chat was pretty much taking over the GPU thread and it got to the point where it was turning people off on the thread. I don't expect anyone to know all the history of a thread, but if a thread title has "Not the cryptocurrency thread" in it and a mod stopped by and said "no crypto," it seems pretty clear to me that there might have been a history there. I was a little gobsmacked by your response, to be honest.

All that being said, we are trying to get to the point where we're more hands-off on the GPU thread. Maybe you didn't see, no big deal, but I had just posted the following in the thread:

Internet Explorer posted:

Hi thread. I'm posting this as an announcement in this thread, because it's related specifically to this thread. I do ask that if you want to discuss it, please don't do it here. Please instead stop by our feedback thread here or send me or movax a PM.

Couple of things:
1) Fauxtool is now threadbanned from this thread and any new iterations of the GPU thread. If you see him posting here, please feel free to report him.
2) We hear you loud and clear on the scalper talk. We are working on the details of what a rule would look like. We don't want to ban any mention of it completely, but we also don't want it taking over the thread.
3) In regards to selling stuff in SA-Mart and talking about your selling in the thread, we're also looking at adding a rule to curb this. It will probably be SH/SC-wide. The suggestions to allow one-offs, or otherwise encourage people to put links in their avatars or buy SA ads are appreciated and will probably be incorporated.
4) Expect to hear more about a solution on the cryptocurrency chat front soon.

And lastly, I know the overwhelming feedback from the feedback thread has been that you all mostly prefer mods to be hands off, and that we have been pretty active in this thread, myself especially. I hope that changes soon, but we saw that an otherwise great thread that a lot of people enjoyed was becoming a very frustrating place. Please bear with us while try to help get it dialed back in.

Again, feedback in the feedback thread, PMs if you'd prefer. Thanks everyone!

So yeah, pretty clearly trying to get to the "hands off" point in the GPU thread and I think we'll be there shortly. What will likely happen is that we'll create a cryptocurrency thread in SH/SC and then be a little more lax about cryptocurrency chat in the GPU thread, hoping that the thread will pretty much police itself with maybe a mod stopping by if it got out of control just saying "hey, there's a specific thread for this if you want!"

As far as the post your rig derail, I never went into the GPU thread and said to knock it off. I was just trying to highlight the other threads. You can read a discussion about that in this thread if you go back a little bit. I shouldn't have posted, as even a light nudge can be interpreted as a commandment from down on high. I get that and I admitted here that in retrospect, I wouldn't have said anything.

For clarification on what can be talked about in the GPU thread, things related to GPUs obviously, but the only real guidance we've tried to offer in regards to cryptocurrency is this:

Internet Explorer posted:

Talking specifically about how cards are more expensive because of crypto is fine, because how else are we going to discuss GPU prices. Talking about the current price of crytpo is not necessary and invites further discussion.

Talking about very specific technology related to GPUs and crypto is also fine, but it better be significant to this thread. An example being NVIDIA locking down mining on their consumer cards.

Which is, admittedly, subjective. You can check my posts in this feedback thread or the GPU thread to see responses around the discussion of that guidance.

The bottom line is that cryptocurrency chat was making the thread awful and we were trying to make it better. We think the adjustments we've made have helped, with the new cryptocurrency thread still in the works. We want to be more hands-off with the GPU thread and we feel that we're getting to the point where we are going to be actively taking a step back.

Appreciate your feedback. Hopefully that response was helpful and hopefully we're all good with the overall goal, even if my individual steps may have not always been perfect.

[edit: Oh, and just to be clear about #2 and #3 from that GPU thread post, those are likely to be recommendations and not rules, where we would handle it on a one-by-one basis and not completely outright ban it with an iron fist or anything like that.]

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Apr 23, 2021

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

bus hustler posted:

If you really 100% do not know or cannot say for some reason that's one thing but can we ban "Pay: Competitive" in the job posting thread

That poo poo is bullshit in real life and it's even more bullshit here

edit: yes sorry to the last poster this is a direct reply to their post but its maddening. especially when youre possibly hiring a "hobbyist" who will struggle to value themselves in an industry known for being poo poo.

I'm generally in agreement with you and it's actually illegal not to include the salary range in a job posting where I live, but is there any practical difference between not including it and having it be nonsense? And if we require the salary range to be posted, do we think it will just lead to less job postings?

Serious question. Like I said, I agree with you in spirit, just not sure exactly how we'd do this. I'm not sure I agree with just outright banning a certain string of phrases that isn't much different than just not including them at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

This fantastic thread should be able to help you out. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3970266

This thread here is for feedback regarding SH/SC itself.