Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Wouldn't there also be an issue in regards to visas etc.?

Coz do the Tongans, (and non Australian/NZers), playing in the NRL would still need to apply for an exemption to be able to leave Australia? Would they be granted one? Also, would they, or their clubs, pay for the 14 day quarantine upon their return? Would that be reason enough for their club to not grant leave?

Does the tournament require vaccination? Coz a whole bunch of League players are weirdo religious fundies, (hello Mr. Folau et al), who probably have bullshit religious objections to the vaccine. That could be another reason stopping them going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

This is a very silly pointless question/thought.

But you know "the Barassi line"? The fictional geographical divide between AFL country and Rugbly League country? And how it was so named in the 60s because on one side of the line that, even if you didn't follow footy at all, you would know who Ron Barassi was.

Well I was thinking, who would the line be named after if it was named today. Also who would the line be named after if it was named after a Rugby League person instead of AFL Legend Ron Barassi?

I was also thinking that, despite how both competitions are nominally national, how deeply and rigidly the Barassi line still divides the country. Yeah sure, Brisbane won 3 premierships in a row 20 odd years ago, and that participation rates for women are skyrocketing in Qld. (if the AFL statisticians are to be believed). Just as the Storm are a powerhouse team on the park, that sell out their little stadium most times they play there. But in terms of deep social impact, nobody here gives a gently caress, and wouldn't be able to pick Johnathon Thurston out of a line up, just as I assume nobody up there gives a rats arse about Joel Selwood much less that he is a cheating bastard who ducks his head into every contest.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

MiniSune posted:

Pretty well much. For all the cash the AFL has sunk into Western Sydney and Gold Coast, they really have got sweet gently caress all to show for it.

As for the line...The (Laurie) Daley Line? he was born in Junee and the AFL and League lines sorta merge in that part of the state.

Given this lack of engagement/awareness/caring etc., (on both sides of the line), should the NRL try to expand? Put the new expansion team in Adelaide or Perth. I know they have played State of Origin games there and get half decent crowds. As they have in Melbourne too.

Would they be prepared to put in the time and money? Coz it has taken more than 40 years and 2 premierships for Sydney to get to the level of local support it has. And god knows how much much money GWS and Gold Coast are costing the AFL right now. So would the NRL be prepared to make that kind of investment in growing the game outside the borders of NSW and Qld.?

On this subject, and this is probably a spectacularly stupid and naive question, so I am sorry. But the Storm seem to be cashed up to the gills. They had the money to break the Salary Cap for all those years, and whatever financial sanctions they were put under haven't seemed to hurt them as they can still afford to buy a team of stars to win premierships even now. How? Is the NRL still, (or indeed did it ever), subsidizing them like the AFL does with GWS and Gold Coast? Are they just good with their money/recruitment? Do Rugby League players just want to mobve to Melbourne for the anonymity or whatever? How does the Storm, being in a non-rugby place with a tiny stadium, and I assume not that many members, manage to stay a financial powerhouse? Or is it all just smoke and mirrors, and the Storm are massively debt-ridden and will collapse spectacularly at the slightest scrutiny?

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

MiniSune posted:

A thorough and detailed explanation to my silly questions.

Thank you very much for this.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Going for the USA market, with a game that the locals can conceivably understand to chase the untold untapped riches is indeed a stupid risky play.

But it makes more sense that trying to get China, (also with vast untapped money), to try and play/show AFL as they did for a couple of years pre pandemic.