Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

This, is going to be an experience.

Or maybe Nat's just gotten good at Metroidvanias by now. That's entirely possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Don't go dropping hints in a blind LP son. He's got Tea if need be.

E: Well that Hades comment dates this a bit, I'm guessing it doesn't matter.

Having watched all these LPs since SOTN? I feel confident saying that yes, that was the most Nat20 thing I've seen.

Fantastic Foreskin fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Mar 25, 2021

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Alxprit posted:

I never removed it but just one slot later on is nothing. I didn't feel gimped at all. And when you're doing boss runs and stuff later on you could temporarily get rid of it if you needed an extra edge in some way. It's no biggie.

:same:

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

When you first compared it to MegaMan I found it highly suspect, but now I see it. Precision platforming with a high degree of control over your character is perhaps even more central to MegaMan than shooting enemies. The switch to melee combat and the pogo move make Hollow Knight seem a lot different on the surface, but the focus on aerial movement and careful positioning is very similar.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Part of it is just how thoroughly Team Cherry succeeded in building an emotionally resonant setting, it pulls it off far more convincingly and totally than most any other game I can think of. You could do some interesting literary analysis on it, but even avoiding spoilers I don't want to color Nat's experience, so I'll abstain for the duration.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Without wading into this, the trillion options in Celeste are very, very thematic.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

This isn't a spoiler, just part of the controls I don't think it tells you, but in the spirit of maximum hands-off-ness I've tagged it.

If you double tap the map button it zooms out.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Nat's at like 50/50..

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

There are definitely OP things to be done in HK, but just throwing some hadoukens isn't one of them. If anything it's a testament to Nat's ability to not get hit that he has the soul to spare.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Gathering swarm doesn't give you the geo if you leave the room before it gets to you. Much faster just to dash over the corpse real quick than stand at the exit waiting.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

"Remnant Psyches"? Tea has Nat analyze the plot of Hollow Knight, little does Nat know its just a warm-up for Killer 7.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Natural 20 posted:

Unironically Killer 7 is one of Tea's favourite games ever and he's been trying to make me play it for years.

Its much more a piece of art than it is a game, but whoo-ey what a piece of art it is. I could probably ramble about it for hours.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Yes, Tea, I think there's potential here.

Also oof at that fall. Hollow Knight is largely good at being easy to get around, but, or perhaps because, its very annoying when you have to deal with a situation where it isn't.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Hollow Knight does so, so much right, but nothing stands out so much as just an accomplishment as Deepnest.

Fantastic Foreskin fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Apr 28, 2021

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Solitair posted:

Guess who just lost 6,800 geo by dying before they got to their original shade? :suicide:

I decided to start the game over completely instead of playing further and waiting to get that poo poo back naturally, or stopping my progress to grind more.

There really isn't that much to buy in the game

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Depending on when you last played, they changed Nosk with one of the updates. I'd say it's one of the easier bosses now.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Soul Master wrecked me the first time around so seeing chump him was something. Still, his continued success gives me hope we might get to see GPZ, NKG, etc

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

pumpinglemma posted:

Don’t listen to Tea, Nat, I never unequipped the compass except when optimising my charm loadout for very specific situations like boss fights I’d already died on multiple times. And I regret nothing. :colbert:

(I also can’t navigate for poo poo, so you’re not alone there either.)

:same:

On this second playthrough I could navigate without it if I had to, but the cognitive effort of using a map isn't worth it.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Bapanada

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Like I said before, Deepnest is Team Cherry's greatest accomplishment, for crafting a space so viscerally unpleasant to be in. Its emotionally resonant in a way I don't think I've experienced in any other videogame. Exploring it alone, in the dark, with headphones on was probably instrumental in such, but I contend its the "proper" way to do Deepnest anyways.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Twelve by Pies posted:

I assumed Tea meant it in the sense that in X1 and X3 you can get X Buster upgrades from Zero and I can imagine people calling them the "Zero Buster."

Isn't it shot-shot-sword in X3? Also, being Zero's gun Zero Buster is correct. Unlike when Tea called the X Buster the Mega Buster a few episodes back :catstare:

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

SirPhoebos posted:

I saw one video that said the normal way to enter City of Tears was via the Tramway in the Ancient Basin

Lmao, what? This game, I swear.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

:staredog:

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

They take a beating and don't leave much opportunity to heal when they're both bouncing around. Also you've gotten to the point where using spells vs not becomes a very different experience like Tea was alluding to early on. Details related to damage values under the spoiler. Those hadoukens do ~2x the damage of your nail, so those triple blasts are roughly equivalent to six hits on each knight when you've gotten them lined up. Doing all the damage in the period of a second or so significantly cuts down on the fights length.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

I didn't like them the first time since they threw off my already developed sense of combat, but on the second playthrough they're very good for dealing with primal aspids.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Tenebrais posted:

I dream-nailed Joni too. Although in my case it's because she was the first ghost I encountered and I didn't know what the dream nail did to them...

RIP Marissa.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Tea, you robbed me of your flusteredness at Nat killing the nailsmith without a second thought :arghfist:

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Higher Teas, these words are for you alone (though it may be too late):

Deep focus and grubsong are infinitely better. You get 11 times base healing capacity and don't have the downtime of hiveblood.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Tea: look at this world and it's inhabitants and be enamored with them.

Nat: I just want to kill things.

Nat's right, btw.

"Just a corpse" is all Tizo deserves. He died a fool like all the rest.

E: that's not a spoiler, it's just hidden for dramatic effect.

Fantastic Foreskin fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jul 8, 2021

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Nvm I'm dumb

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

I thought you needed to no matter what?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

It bears considering that the dream fights are available as soon as you beat the normal boss, Soul Tyrant here has been available for a majority of the game; they're not really superbosses, just harder versions.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

I can't say I ever questioned why the dream bosses. They were there and I had a nail, what more could I want?

I do agree that the paucity of hints towards the importance of essence is a flaw.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

I enjoy what story there is to hollow knight, but in terms of reasons I love the game it's somewhere near the bottom of the list. The story does serve the atmosphere very well though, and the atmosphere is somewhere near the topic.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

:getin:

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

I mad I never even considered pogoing off the spears. Watching Nat fly past them now I have to think that's the intended way.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Bifauxnen posted:

Yeah what's he even on about, Nat found the shiny thing just fine! :angel:

I did watch it over a couple times to spot the creepy face, is there anything else to really spot if you wait and look around some more? Still got no idea yet what to really make of this blue stuff, as an overall thing

No, but the implication is that this area, and most likely all of the lifeblood, are the dream of that thing, in the same way greenpath is the dream of Unn

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

AtomikKrab posted:

So what is Joni's connection with that thing?

:shrug:

Joni was a Kickstarter backer, whatever that implies for their enmeshment in the world

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Marluxia posted:

I like how the thread has slowly reverted from wanting to see Natural20 suffer to see Yorkshire Tea suffer.

It's not like he left us much of a choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

I, for one, welcome all 10 zote fights.