Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Saalkin posted:

What song?

It's been a while but it very well may have been Body Terror Song lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright
I can't look through every post here to see if I'm repeating this sentiment but gosh darn Snarky Puppy is the first thing that comes to mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_XJ_s5IsQc

Because drat these people are legitimately incredibly talented.

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

Ugly In The Morning posted:

It’s been five decades since Biafra even existed so the juxtaposition between jello and the famine are lost on drat near everyone now. Or even back then, really.

Was that a reference to an actual thing where packets of jello were being sent to aid the famine in Biafra? I always thought that name was simple monkeycheese silliness like Klaus Fluoride.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Ralph Hurley posted:

Was that a reference to an actual thing where packets of jello were being sent to aid the famine in Biafra? I always thought that name was simple monkeycheese silliness like Klaus Fluoride.

From some article:

quote:

Jello Biafra created his name as an ironic combination of a nutritionally poor mass-produced food product and mass starvation. He said he likes how two ideas clash in people’s minds.

It’s kind of dumb because jello is basically reclaiming food from what would basically be waste products but whatever.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Viet Cong changed their name because it made war criminals sad.

I have no idea if their music was good but what a great band name.

ubachung
Jul 30, 2006
I like Fleshgod Apocalypse but the name seems a bit... overwrought?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=db316LKo_IE

ubachung fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Mar 28, 2021

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

PinheadSlim posted:

I actually had my Facebook temporarily suspended for violence/terrorism because I posted an Andrew Jackson Jihad song lol

If that's what gets your dick hard,
pointless censorship while nazis post on your site

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

XTC has/had a lovely name and Andy Partidge said there were around a hundred bands in the UK in the late 70. that used some variation of the source word (and the word is ecstasy if you’re a dummy like me)

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

evilpicard posted:

Viet Cong changed their name because it made war criminals sad.

I have no idea if their music was good but what a great band name.

they're your bogstandard Canadian postrock... which is to say they rule and i dig their stuff.

they changed their name to "Preoccupations" which... is lame by comparison. Rad music videos though. Continental Shelf and Compliance are my faves.

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea

Catastrophe posted:

I can't look through every post here to see if I'm repeating this sentiment but gosh darn Snarky Puppy is the first thing that comes to mind.

Third go round in the thread for Snarky Puppy but he'll yeah brother / sister

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Snarky puppy are great. Saw them stoned AF at the Danforth in Toronto which has a slanted floor so my back was killing me.

I don't remember anything else from that show.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

YeahTubaMike posted:

Lady Antebellum did the same thing. So stupid.

Even worse is that they stole the name Lady A from another musician who’s been around longer than they have, then tried to sue her after they’d already declared they were stealing her name. Dickheads.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?

Poo In An Alleyway posted:

Even worse is that they stole the name Lady A from another musician who’s been around longer than they have, then tried to sue her after they’d already declared they were stealing her name. Dickheads.

Not just a musician a black singer. To change the name over racial connotations then sue a black woman over the new name... what?

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Spotify recommended me 'Fartbarf' today. Trip report incoming...I guess.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

That or Spotify is gaslighting me about my poor music taste :(

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Jeza posted:

That or Spotify is gaslighting me about my poor music taste :(

this is what you get for listening to Butt Trumpet and the Butthole Surfers all day every day

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?

Jeza posted:

Spotify recommended me 'Fartbarf' today. Trip report incoming...I guess.

They suck. Boring vocoder fratbro dance rock. They wear stupid masks and the name is fittingly vile.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Fors Yard posted:

They suck. Boring vocoder fratbro dance rock. They wear stupid masks and the name is fittingly vile.

you were right

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Catastrophe posted:

It's a repeat, but absolutely worth it. Amazing group, but the name is so off-putting that I resist listening to them because I'm a shallow moron.

wankel13b
Jan 23, 2005

quak

CaptainSarcastic posted:

1000 Homo DJs was a Ministry offshoot that was good but probably understandably didn't get much airplay due to the name.

Supernaut
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_c9U5GHJZFE

Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMlogOdIcdQ

Jourgensen definitely knew he wasn't gonna get airplay. That was how the name came about. He had a song or two, and then he told someone something like "Nobody is gonna play this except maybe 1000 homo DJs." And he was running out of names for his dozen or so side projects: Revolting Cocks, Acid Horse, PTP, Pailhead, and probably the worst, both musically and name-wise, Buck Satan and the 666 Shooters.

wankel13b
Jan 23, 2005

quak
Oh and speaking of Jello Biafra, he was in another of Jourgensen's projects, Lard.

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Dap-Kings? Dumb band name.

Sharon Jones? Might have been one of the most talented, wonderful vocalists of all time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlPE1rEdAdI

Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Apr 9, 2021

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Catastrophe posted:

Sharon Jones? Might have been one of the most talented, wonderful vocalists of all time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlPE1rEdAdI

I hadn’t heard of her until I saw her opening at a festival I was at in 2014 and I was completely blown the gently caress away.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Has anyone said Darkman X yet :smith:

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

wankel13b posted:

Oh and speaking of Jello Biafra, he was in another of Jourgensen's projects, Lard.

In the past I've argued that the Lard song "Sylvestre Matuschka" should be the GBS theme.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

wankel13b posted:

Jourgensen definitely knew he wasn't gonna get airplay. That was how the name came about. He had a song or two, and then he told someone something like "Nobody is gonna play this except maybe 1000 homo DJs." And he was running out of names for his dozen or so side projects: Revolting Cocks, Acid Horse, PTP, Pailhead, and probably the worst, both musically and name-wise, Buck Satan and the 666 Shooters.

Jourgensen is/was (maybe he’s cleaned up, gently caress if I know) a weird little drug goblin. One of my friends worked with him way back in the day and has some crazy stories about the dude having to wear diapers on account of being kinda, uh, leaky and living in a tape locker under some stairs in the studio with his daughter.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Jourgensen is/was (maybe he’s cleaned up, gently caress if I know) a weird little drug goblin. One of my friends worked with him way back in the day and has some crazy stories about the dude having to wear diapers on account of being kinda, uh, leaky and living in a tape locker under some stairs in the studio with his daughter.

He cleaned up at some point but went full conspiracy-theorist weirdo. I listened to some newer stuff a few years ago and was not impressed. There were a few years he was at the center of some amazing music, but the stuff before and after was mediocre to dire.

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

I hadn’t heard of her until I saw her opening at a festival I was at in 2014 and I was completely blown the gently caress away.

I feel like a dork because I only first heard her name because she had passed away from the cancer. Never had a chance to hear that blessed voice in person. Should have been me and not her... the true gems are stolen from us too often.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Has anyone said Mott the Hoople? I guess they aren't super good but that name is all kinds of bad.

HORSE-SLAUGHTERER
Nov 11, 2020

H O R S E - S L A U G H T E R E R
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGVv7SQ_jus
Let's Eat Grandma is like a nerdy schoolgirl joke which fits the band's vibe but still

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
it's kind of a stretch to call them good but didnt see them mentioned yet and it's probably the worst band name of all time: "King gizzard and the lizard wizard"

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

thathonkey posted:

it's kind of a stretch to call them good but didnt see them mentioned yet and it's probably the worst band name of all time: "King gizzard and the lizard wizard"

I have a confession. I'm a petty jerk. It took heavy, heavy pressure to finally get me to watch The Shawshank Redemption because I had boycotted it for having such an unbelievably stupid name. King Gizzard And The Lizard Wizard is extremely in that same camp for me. I've turned my head and walked away for my entire life because I assumed you wouldn't have picked something so insanely dumb sounding if your IQ was over 10. I may be wrong. Like I said, though, I'm a petty jerk. :/

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight
Can

I don't get it. The band makes some amazing music though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmN9oHa3ZIQ

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

A Strange Aeon posted:

Has anyone said Mott the Hoople? I guess they aren't super good but that name is all kinds of bad.

It was a sci-fi book and the name was thrust upon them. It wasn't made better by them having albums called "Mott" and "The Hoople."

I had a post or two about them in the music forum a few days ago. David Bowie loved them, but outside of the song he wrote for them (All the Young Dudes; he also offered Suffragette City), I don't get what he saw.

Thunderbuck Ram is tremendous. All the Way From Memphis would be if it didn't have a racial epithet in the lyrics (Brian May covered it well without the epithet). Ready for Love was covered much better and stronger by Bad Company. Roll Away the Stone is OK, as is Soft Ground. I can't think of any other standouts from their albums and I've heard most of them.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Andrew Jackson Jihad is a pretty good band but their name would be embarassing to say in front of an acquaintance. I guess that’s why they usually go by AJJ now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqouMqryzxM

1secondpersecond
Nov 12, 2008

HORSE the Band is not a good name, but Desperate Living is a pretty solid album and a lot of their earlier stuff is pretty good too.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Catastrophe posted:

Poor old Sharon, imagine having all these major label vultures constantly swoop in and steal your band.

But she's like Amanda Marshall, a great, talented artist with a boring name that sounds like a side character from an Elvis movie

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

thathonkey posted:

They're the best band in the world bro, it's ok to like things.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
shut the gently caress up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

RC and Moon Pie posted:

It was a sci-fi book and the name was thrust upon them. It wasn't made better by them having albums called "Mott" and "The Hoople."

I had a post or two about them in the music forum a few days ago. David Bowie loved them, but outside of the song he wrote for them (All the Young Dudes; he also offered Suffragette City), I don't get what he saw.

Thunderbuck Ram is tremendous. All the Way From Memphis would be if it didn't have a racial epithet in the lyrics (Brian May covered it well without the epithet). Ready for Love was covered much better and stronger by Bad Company. Roll Away the Stone is OK, as is Soft Ground. I can't think of any other standouts from their albums and I've heard most of them.

Thanks for the effort, I'll check out those tracks on Spotify!