Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

General Dog posted:

I guess that's a reasonable enough assumption, though if you'd played or seen the ending where Sean surrenders, Daniel does in fact go to live with his grandparents and is presumably never discovered.

It falls apart pretty hard when the agent is trying to question Sean in the hospital and you're supposed to take it at face value they honestly think a 16 year old kid who by any standard is fairly small and short was able to hulk out and throw a cop into a car so hard his body shattered, oh and also flipped over the cop cars as well leaving behind a loving blast crater with no flame or shrapnel, just a massive pressure wave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

pentyne posted:

It falls apart pretty hard when the agent is trying to question Sean in the hospital and you're supposed to take it at face value they honestly think a 16 year old kid who by any standard is fairly small and short was able to hulk out and throw a cop into a car so hard his body shattered, oh and also flipped over the cop cars as well leaving behind a loving blast crater with no flame or shrapnel, just a massive pressure wave.

Yeah I mean we literally see police cam footage of the incident at the very start. I never really understood why they somehow decided that two kids could have caused that much destruction in such a short amount of time (yes, technically Daniel killed the cop in a psychokinetic rage but the police would have no way of knowing that)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Apr 6, 2022

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Larryb posted:

Yeah I mean we literally see police cam footage of the incident at the very start. I never really understood why they somehow decided that two kids could have caused that much destruction in such a short amount of time (yes, technically Daniel killed the cop in a psychokinetic rage but the police would have no way of knowing that)

The obvious answer is baked in. The government is aware that powers exist. They probably studied the storm and have seen other children with their powers.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Shammypants posted:

The obvious answer is baked in. The government is aware that powers exist. They probably studied the storm and have seen other children with their powers.

I wouldn’t be surprised (young people randomly gaining superpowers via trauma seems to happen a lot in the LiS universe)

Of course, Sean panicking and making rash decisions is also partially to blame for their troubles as well and if he’d just stayed put after the incident it’s possible things would have ended up a lot less worse for the boys (Sean would still have two functioning eyes at least)

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Yea, but to be fair a common theme in the games is that the characters aren't the brightest, sometimes haven't completed their basic education, have emotional problems and difficulty with human interactions.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Shammypants posted:

Yea, but to be fair a common theme in the games is that the characters aren't the brightest, sometimes haven't completed their basic education, have emotional problems and difficulty with human interactions.

Of course. If they weren’t, we wouldn’t have a plot

Alex is no exception to that rule except her powers manifested years before the game started (I think it’s implied to be a result of her mom dying and/or her dad later having a breakdown and giving her and Gabe up for adoption)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

60FPS mode is finally out for the Remastered Collection:

https://twitter.com/LifeIsStrange/status/1512097071389900802

Speaking of, how well does True Colors run at 60FPS out of curiosity?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Apr 7, 2022

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Shammypants posted:

But enough about the law enforcement characters

Larryb posted:

60FPS mode is finally out for the Remastered Collection:

https://twitter.com/LifeIsStrange/status/1512097071389900802

Speaking of, how well does True Colors run at 60FPS out of curiosity?

Ran great. So well that the great looking graphics and the insane detail to face animations ended up making the experience significantly more engaging then the writing would normally be.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

So I noticed LiS got a patch but Before the Storm didn’t? Does that mean BtS ran at 60 this whole time or something?

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Just played True Colors thanks to gamepass.

So much trouble could have been avoided by Typhon if they just handed Alex a huge bag of money saying "Sorry to hear about your brother. Here's a million dollars. These are unrelated but we hope you can move on."

Why would they give Charlene this but not also to Alex?

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Because they decided the game needed a mystery instead of more time spent being a gay youth.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Alex would absolutely not take that money.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Just finished it and really liked it. I do wonder how dull you have to be to choose the "stay in Haven" option or even worse, the "stay in Haven with Ryan" option.
For some reason it kinda reminded me of Night in the Woods: Both games have a character arriving in a mining town, both games have a queer protagonist, the main plot is that there is something in the mines and they both have a section with the protagonist crawling wounded out of the mine.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

xerxus posted:

Just played True Colors thanks to gamepass.

So much trouble could have been avoided by Typhon if they just handed Alex a huge bag of money saying "Sorry to hear about your brother. Here's a million dollars. These are unrelated but we hope you can move on."

Why would they give Charlene this but not also to Alex?

Because it's 100% obvious immediately after the accident that some shady poo poo went down.

Plus mining companies in general are extremely unwilling to pay out. They're basically run by 19th century robber barons who would happily hire the Pinkertons to come in and just intimidate or murder Alex in a heartbeat.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

pentyne posted:

Because it's 100% obvious immediately after the accident that some shady poo poo went down.

Plus mining companies in general are extremely unwilling to pay out. They're basically run by 19th century robber barons who would happily hire the Pinkertons to come in and just intimidate or murder Alex in a heartbeat.

So you’re saying Typhon being run by amoral shitlords isn’t exactly that much of stretch when it comes to mining companies, makes sense

Also since the company’s gone under I wonder if that also condemns Haven Springs to a slow demise as well or if the town would be able to find another source of commerce

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:31 on May 1, 2022

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I finally finished the comic and it was good but I can't help but feel cheated out of Chloe and Max content.
Where's the drama of that first year before the comic. :argh:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

lunar detritus posted:

I finally finished the comic and it was good but I can't help but feel cheated out of Chloe and Max content.
Where's the drama of that first year before the comic. :argh:

Chloe & Max being extremely sad over the whole town (including Joyce) dying was probably a bit too heavy.

Of course, it was kind of unclear how bad the damage was until LiS2, where they established that basically the whole town got wiped off the map.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah I believe the only confirmed survivors we know about are:

Chloe
Max
Steph
Steph’s dad (you can find an email from him at the start of Wavelengths)
David
Victoria
Mikey (and probably his dad)
Alyssa (according to the comics but I’m not sure how canon those are supposed to be)

And speaking of the comics, has there been any word on a possible continuation? I know they hinted a while back at moving on to some other story after the current one is finished but nothing’s materialized yet (and if they do I imagine it’ll probably be something True Colors related)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jun 6, 2022

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Finally read the last comic collection. Overall it's a pretty good story from start to finish that puts a bow on the entire Max/Chloe Bae ending in what I would say is a satisfying way. I definitely think trying to follow it up with a game would be an impossible task unless it committed to the Bae ending or did some really experimental and likely insanely difficult to develop method where you can pick which ending to start the game with and somehow it's not two entirely separate games.

The franchise as a whole seems like it's one coin toss away from being scrapped. True Colors sold the best according to some report, but it's sales are compared to the first week release of the previous 2 which aren't very comparable given their episodic release. No idea how the sales trailed off and just to take the temperature of the community the LIS reddit is still almost exclusive Max/Chloe stuff. True Colors was a $30 game with a $60 price tag, yeah covid hurt it badly, but without a price drop its a hard sell to anyone new to the series.

DeckNine having hooked up with the new/rebranded/reanimated corpse of Telltale to make an Expanse game is going to give them a lot of opportunity to try and recapture that "Telltale" game experience which only helps their brand if they pull it off. A lot of the talking heads at the company seemed pretty passionate about LiS so maybe they can pitch the next one to Squeenix and do it on their terms. Otherwise Dontnod is doing their experimental WW2 villager simulator with an impressionist art style that looks interesting but their track record is more misses then hits.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
The Remastered collection is on sale. How was it in the end?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

MonsieurChoc posted:

Strange

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

BTS is a bit buggy but not as much as it was on release, LiS has some minor lighting problems but I feel like the new facial animations do genuinely enhance the experience in a lot of scenes.

Apparently more patches are on the way eventually though (including a complete engine overhaul for BTS Remastered)

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I might get them then, if only for Nostalgia's sake.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Katy Bentz (Steph) has been doing a neat little behind the scenes vlog on her YouTube channel about the making of True Colors. There’s some interesting stuff in there honestly, like this shot of the game’s original logo and title:

So this is the first case of an LiS game (aside from BTS not being called Life is Strange 0 that is) going from a number to a subtitle as opposed to the other way around (the working titles for LiS, BTS, and LIS2 as you might recall were “What If?”, “Dawn”, and “Promenade” respectively)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Jun 24, 2022

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

True Colors did have a codename in development - Siren. You can still find it in some of the game files on PC.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

True Colors did have a codename in development - Siren. You can still find it in some of the game files on PC.

Oh neat, didn’t know that. Though I will say I kind of prefer the original TC logo shown above over the one we actually got

Eshettar
May 9, 2013

*whispers*

yospos, bithc
Imagine that Alex was an astronaut right now. When she looked at the Earth, she would see tiny specks of golden light sparkling all over the globe like ornaments on a Christmas tree. And all because fans of a certain young woman who runs the local record store and plays a mean drum just saw this announcement and their auras exploded with pure joy.

https://twitter.com/LifeIsStrange/status/1552315377073414146

Eshettar fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Jul 28, 2022

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Nice, more Steph content is always welcome.

Related, has there been any further news about the comics as of late? The article from a while back talking about the Max and Chloe arc ending seemed to imply the comic itself would continue onward but I haven’t seen anything from it in a while

Eshettar
May 9, 2013

*whispers*

yospos, bithc
Does anyone know when the Nintendo Switch ports of Life Is Strange and Before the Storm will be done? Because there seems to have been not one peep about them since their planned release in February was cancelled.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Still just “sometime later this year” apparently. It appears more patches are on the way eventually though including a complete engine overhaul for BtS remastered so maybe we’ll get some news soon

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

And now we have a release date:

https://twitter.com/LifeIsStrange/status/1559563130686013441

I kind of hope they port LiS2/Captain Spirit one day as well if only just to complete the set

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Steam has a decent sized update for the original remaster queued up. No notes that I can see.

Also I finally finished Wavelengths. I really enjoyed it. :)

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Hard to put my finger on why but I slightly prefer Wavelengths to the main game. Also it makes being a DJ seem pretty neat, like something I might actually want to look into lol

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Sadly the only place you're likely to get that sort of experience is on a college radio station, corporate stations are soul crushing and public broadcasting is the same but with less budget and more unpaid overtime.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

If anyone tried it, how does the Remastered collection play on Switch out of curiosity?

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

corgski posted:

Sadly the only place you're likely to get that sort of experience is on a college radio station, corporate stations are soul crushing and public broadcasting is the same but with less budget and more unpaid overtime.

Funny you mention it, because one of the colleges near me does hold trainings for their radio station and let community members host shows

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Out of curiosity, are there actually any music stores out there that also double as radio stations?

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Larryb posted:

Out of curiosity, are there actually any music stores out there that also double as radio stations?

a local media store (music, games, movies, books) in the city i live in has a recording studio in its basement that was the temporary home of an indie radio broadcast for a while while they got their own studio situation dealt with, but its not a permanent radio station

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Why do the football team and swim team at Blackwell have different mascots?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

French writers weren’t all that familiar with the conventions of the American high school system, which explains a lot of the more confusing aspects about Blackwell.