Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Son of Rodney posted:

We don't have this in germany afaik, so I have to ask. Does it really cost like 10 dollars + just to get food delivered through these services? Do restaurants not offer normal delivery anymore in the US? I saw some tweet about people paying like 40 bucks for a meal with this and it boggled my mind.

It’s closer to 5 usually, but some restaurants increase their prices on Uber eats to offset the 30% cut. A lot of restaurants still offer normal delivery, especially pizza and Chinese places. I know Germans don’t really spend money on eating out but 40 after tax and tip is pricey but not unheard of for a dinner at a restaurant here.

When Uber eats first launched I remember they were going for more of a luxury thing, they didn’t even have any fast food on there, at least where I live.

Edit: I guess it also depends on if you’re ordering from somewhere where you would normally tip or not. If your Uber eatsing McDonald’s then the difference between pickup and delivery is easily 10 dollars I imagine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Starks posted:

It’s closer to 5 usually, but some restaurants increase their prices on Uber eats to offset the 30% cut. A lot of restaurants still offer normal delivery, especially pizza and Chinese places. I know Germans don’t really spend money on eating out but 40 after tax and tip is pricey but not unheard of for a dinner at a restaurant here.

When Uber eats first launched I remember they were going for more of a luxury thing, they didn’t even have any fast food on there, at least where I live.

Deliveroo was the same. It was supposed to be from only quality restaurants and has limited delivery range so the food would come warm but they dropped that quickly.

As a delivery rider I think it's best to keep orders small and order stuff which is OK cold or can be heated up. The worst is when someone orders like 20 pizzas for an office because they get cold in like 5 mins and there's no way a restaurant can poo poo out that many pizzas quickly.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Starks posted:

Edit: I guess it also depends on if you’re ordering from somewhere where you would normally tip or not. If your Uber eatsing McDonald’s then the difference between pickup and delivery is easily 10 dollars I imagine.

Ah that makes sense, we don't have restaurants as such delivering here either, there's more variety but it's generally fast food. I also forgot about the tips, which is more or less a euro or two over here instead a percentage.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
So the OP ate someone else's food? What's up with that?

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

So you ate the food?

Of course I ate the food, Jerry!

It wasn't your food!

I ordered food! They brought food! Of course I'm going to eat it

They brought you someone else's food! If a valet brings you somebody else's car, do you drive off in it?

What kind of car?

no pubes yet sorry
Sep 11, 2003

Aardvark! posted:

yes it really does, at least if you tip like a decent person

We still have in house delivery, but it's almost exclusively pizza and chinese.

this is on point, it really is only worth it if desperate or you want something out of the ordinary.

for some people though, it is because they are VERY high

Virginia Slams
Nov 17, 2012
Left instructions to call me when they arrived outside my work so I could step out to grab my food, received no call just a text picture of my food dropped off outside the door on the sidewalk, I didn't even realize they texted me because I keep text notifications on silent which is why I said call. Walk outside not even 5 minutes after realizing they sent a text to find the bag covered in poo poo tons of ants already, threw it out gave zero stars.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Regularly have food deliver to work, with note "copy center"

They consistently take it to the other side of the store. Which is in the opposite direction from the breakroom.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
wtf they added a scrolling voyeur function to ubereats

Giraffe
Dec 12, 2005

Soiled Meat

Aardvark! posted:

wtf they added a scrolling voyeur function to ubereats

What a great idea with no downsides. Maybe Amazon can start telling my neighbors when I get packages delivered too.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
I’m a bartender and had to deal with grub hub drivers a dozen times a night before we dropped them and went back to in house delivery drivers.

They are some of dumbest and rudest people I’ve ever had to deal with. My favorite was the guy that sat down in between 2 customers and loudly watched YouTube videos while we all just stared at each other wondering if he was really doing this.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

I. M. Gei posted:

Also don’t use Instacart. They suck. Get your groceries delivered by some other company instead. It is literally better for you to go hungry than it is for you to use/give any money to Instacart.

Week 2 of Ontario's first lockdown we ordered groceries from them. We watched the guy check off all our items, but he only delivered half of them. This was a $160 order which came of our credit card once he dropped it off. SO my wife is texting the driver like, "Hey..where are the other half of my groceries???" and nothing. So we call customer service, they refund us the money. They were going to give us a whole $5 credit for our trouble

A month later we are at Loblaw's picking up an order and my wife sees the same guy in the parking lot and it if I had not been with her, she probably would have confronted him about it.

Irukandji Syndrome
Dec 26, 2008
Very disappointed to not see this posted already,

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
We live in a bunch of townhouses with similar house numbers, and the garages are nowhere near the front door. So our notes are basically “Do not deliver to 1243 Our Street or 1234 Notour Street. Do not deliver to 1234 Our Street garage. Front door has ‘This is the Blue Moonlight’s’ on the doormat.”

Doing so curtailed the garage deliveries dramatically, but only helped a little with the transposed street numbers or names. They’ll usually send proof featuring a doormat that does not say “This is the Blue Moonlight’s” on it.

Other than that I really don’t know how DoorDash makes any money off of us with how frequently we submit (e: legitimate) errors and they give us credits. I’m sure it’s via fuckery of some sort.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Bonzo posted:

Week 2 of Ontario's first lockdown we ordered groceries from them. We watched the guy check off all our items, but he only delivered half of them. This was a $160 order which came of our credit card once he dropped it off. SO my wife is texting the driver like, "Hey..where are the other half of my groceries???" and nothing. So we call customer service, they refund us the money. They were going to give us a whole $5 credit for our trouble

A month later we are at Loblaw's picking up an order and my wife sees the same guy in the parking lot and it if I had not been with her, she probably would have confronted him about it.

I had an entire Instacart Costco order that was delivered to someone else one street over; I hope they enjoyed it, but I doubt the driver rang the doorbell or anything so the refrigerated/frozen stuff probably didn't survive. Instacart had someone else go shop for the same things again, and they found my place okay, but it wasted a ton of my time. Also, at least one item was out of stock the second time around. :(

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

The Walrus posted:

unsliced is actually good since the pizza doesnt get as mushy on bottom, if you dont have a wheel slicer scissors work great

Scissors are the best option imo, Marion Cobretti knows what the fucks up.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

naem posted:

7-11 has a delivery app, for some reason lol

at the start of covid I wanted one of their $5 dollar frozen pizzas they run through an oven and a tallboy and didnt want to leave home so I gave it a shot

I watched the guy arrive on my phone and opened the door to him dropping the pizza out of the box, freak out, and then drive off RUNNING OVER THE PIZZA lol

I had a pic of a pizza with tire treads across it in the street

Well are you going to share it with us?

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

A Korean grill joint opened up close to my place. I guess they must be running on a shoestring budget because it’s clearly just the extended family doing deliveries on clapped out mopeds and they aren’t on any of the delivery services yet. They do a decent job except the boxes leak everywhere.

They make awesome bibimbap though and also sell a bunch of weird poo poo on skewers like frogs, duck tongues and plain white toast??!

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
A couple of fast food/greasy spoon type restaurants in my city have 1 star reviews from delivery drivers complaining that they were refused pickup orders due to not having their "hot" bag on their person.

Madness
Jan 23, 2007

Bonzo posted:

Can we also complain about drivers that pick up an order from a shop that is a 5 minutes from your house but they drive to 4 other shops on the other side of the freeway so I get cold food? On the plus side I get a free order the next time but still.

This poo poo happens a lot I notice if I tip more they snag my order and several others. So now I just tip super low and it's never happen again.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
From a local restaurant most places literally have their menu ripped from websites and they are added by the delivery companies with no notice or even agreement. They do that to try and show that the company will have so much more sales if they join that company and do delivery. The companies will do phone orders and have someone come and pay using a prepaid card basically acting as an even lovely middleman to order food. They do this till they can get some data and try and push the restaurants to go ahead and take the doordash or grubhub tablets to automate it all. Without telling them the 30% cut they demand or the other issues. We pretty much never use the delivery services once we found that out (and they literally took our order, then never loving did poo poo so our food sat at the place because doordash didnt want to admit they didnt have loving drivers in our area)

All that's before you count how much extra they loving charge. The only places you should order delivery from are the national or big chains, dont order from the small places.

Literally none of the restaurants in my town or area had agreed to doordash when they came in, and it took them basically screaming at them and threatening trespass charges on drivers if they did come in to get them to be removed as all the issues piled up.

We have a local delivery company that partners with places, prices are the exact same as if you ate in, they just charge services fees and require a tip, so usually 10 bucks extra for the added delivery. They just have reduced hours so have your order in before 830.

UCS Hellmaker fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Mar 21, 2021

bobz0r
Jul 8, 2008

I have faith in us, if we don't self-destruct
I drive for Doordash part time and I've been waiting for some idiot to not answer their phone so i can eat their food. hasn't happened yet in 125 deliveries. I did deliver a handle of vodka to a super disheveled dude though.
and last night I put my cigarette on the ground by my car as I checked in with the restaurant and came outside not even 20 seconds later and a crackhead had already stolen and started smoking my lit cigarette and had the gall to ask me for another one.

no pubes yet sorry
Sep 11, 2003

bobz0r posted:

I drive for Doordash part time and I've been waiting for some idiot to not answer their phone so i can eat their food. hasn't happened yet in 125 deliveries. I did deliver a handle of vodka to a super disheveled dude though.
and last night I put my cigarette on the ground by my car as I checked in with the restaurant and came outside not even 20 seconds later and a crackhead had already stolen and started smoking my lit cigarette and had the gall to ask me for another one.

Don't judge, you never know if you'll be in that struggle one day!

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Blue Moonlight posted:

Other than that I really don’t know how DoorDash makes any money off of us with how frequently we submit (e: legitimate) errors and they give us credits. I’m sure it’s via fuckery of some sort.
Much like Uber and Lyft, these companies aren't profitable. It's an absolute meat grinder of capital where everyone is hoping to be the last to run out of VC cash.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

someone w/ my exact address on the next street over keeps ordering big bags full of energy drinks and candy from GoPuff and they show up at my door instead almost every other week

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

During 2020 I lived in an apartment in the back corner of a gigantic complex that was 99% surrounded with walls, there was only one road in and to get to my unit all you had to do was follow the road straight to the very back of the complex. That's it. I didn't have my own car and lived alone so I was relying on instacart/doordash for food. After about 4 months I uninstalled both apps and started walking to the grocery store instead because of the number of drivers who couldn't find my place. After the first few I started sending detailed written instructions. "Drive through the double arches, follow the road straight to the very back. I am in unit # at the end of the road, right in front of parking space #". Not just putting them in the app but also texting them to the driver while they were picking up the food.

Maybe 1/2 had no problem finding it. Out of the other half most would turn right immediately after entering the double arch gates and then drive in circles around the complex for a while before calling me. About half of them would then call me a second time when they still couldn't find it after the first call. There were a few who literally made me walk 1/2 mile to the front of the complex and meet them there because they could not figure out my instructions. I would walk straight down the road at them for the entire 1/2 mile waving at them.

The reason most restaurants don't offer delivery is probably that ppl are too dumb to find unit numbers in an apartment complex

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

bobz0r posted:

you've been hosed by capitalism hard enough that you've gotta drive for doordash and this was your reaction to encountering someone struggling even harder?

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

lol and there it is

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
lol love gigeconomy its so great the future is bright

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls

von Braun posted:

lol love gigeconomy its so great the future is bright

The one positive is that none of these companies are profitable and any kind of regulation of the industry completely fucks them over.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

500 good dogs posted:

you've been hosed by capitalism hard enough that you've gotta drive for doordash and this was your reaction to encountering someone struggling even harder?

From each according to their smokes
To each according to let's go

bobz0r
Jul 8, 2008

I have faith in us, if we don't self-destruct

500 good dogs posted:

I have a day job and actually enjoy driving and making an extra 30-35/hr minus gas cost and taxes whenever I want to :burger:

Shats Basoon
Jun 13, 2013

I tried to order a burg, chx wings and a salad off of doordash today from Buffalo Wild Wings. Every menu item was listed $2-3 more than on BWW's website and they included a bunch of fees. Before the delivery tip the total would have been $20 more than just ordering it from the store and going to pick it up myself. What a rip

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

I spent the first month of Covid lockdowns working in Chicago and staying in a hotel. It was still early on in the pandemic so everything was weird. I used DoorDash literally every night, mostly with good results. One night however I ordered from a place I had enjoyed a few nights before and got the standard “your order has been confirmed “ message. Half hour later, driver arrives to pick it up. Okay, a little slow but whatever. Another half hour and no change. Turns out the place was closed, I have no idea how the order got confirmed. Poor guy sat outside for like an hour before he checked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

its_my_birthday
Sep 18, 2020
I'm drunk so driving is a no-go. I ordered tacos from Jack in the Box 90 minutes ago and the place is 5 minutes away. It's saying estimated delivery in about 20 minutes. Legit 2 hour wait time for jack in the box tacos lmao.

edit: i cancelled 2.5 hours later with no delivery estimate in sight. i asked the lady on the phone what i was supposed to do and if they were gonna cover me getting food poisoning for eating 3-4 hour old fast food tacos if i didnt cancel. of course i wanna cancel! gimme a fuckin break door dash you suck

its_my_birthday fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Mar 22, 2021