Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you hitting monsters with?
Bow
Charge Blade
Dual Blades
Great Sword
Gunlance
Hammer
Heavy Bowgun
Hunting Horn
Insect Glaive
Lance
Light Bowgun
Longsword
Switch Axe
Sword and Shield
View Results

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
I wanted to craft the guild palace layered armor and thought it'd be a pain but turns out furious rajang in the arena absolutely folds to the LBG load out(Rapid fire ice and normal 2), first time I got a S rank in arena on my first try

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Augus posted:

they should bring back swimming in the next one.
how would insect glaive work, you ask? don’t care

As a propeller. Obviously.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
I saw MH is on a Steam sale this week and wanted some advice on if I should buy Rise or Iceborne. Specifically just Iceborne, I have the base game already and put in 150 hours on that at release, and about the same in 3/4. The fact that Rise is 'new' by itself doesn't mean much to me, it's been a long time since I played World and adding Iceborne to that would probably be about as fresh to me. I see that Rise just got an expansion itself, so I'm inclined to maybe wait a year or two and hopefully pick up both on sale unless Rise is significantly better than World in some way.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

They're both extremely good experiences. At the moment I would personally have to say that Iceborne felt a bit more complete and cohesive (though tbf Rise has some more content on the way shortly) but I would be very sad for someone to miss out on either side of that choice.

Triarii fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Aug 8, 2022

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

Personally, world/iceborn will take longer because the game respects your time less and loves trying to be deeply immersive more. There's lots of little things that stacked up so that by the time I got through Iceborns story and to raging brachydios, I was thoroughly done and just never picked it back up.

Rise doesn't have that immersive world as it's focus--it shows it's roots as prioritizing the more pick up and play aspects of the handheld side of the series, and as such it also respects your time more.

Both are very good games. I prefer Rise's approach more.

I think how much you care about being Immersed In The World is what the choice boils down to--if you want immersion, hunter notes that are books you manually open every time, tracking little bugs, and getting lost in the environment, then world is going to be the game for that. If, on the other hand, you want a game that has extremely fun movement and has a focus respecting your time more than its own immersion, then Rise is a better fit.

Also, how much do you love grinding for random deco drops and never seeing the deco you need after 600 hours? That's world.

Rise lets you craft decos; all a good talisman does is let you squeeze in one more skill.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Another pro for RiseBreak is that it doesn't have the loving clutch claw, the worst mechanic.

Maxy Boy
Sep 7, 2008
God drat, I just unlocked Strongarm Stance so I equipped it and finally swapped out Rage Slash for TCS. I used 35 mega potions in the first fight against Astalos.

I'm going to have more fun but I'm definitely going to die more! It feels great to hit a counter and instantly be able to fire off a TCS.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Yeah I had the same experience. You get used to it but you can't just strongarm everything like you would rage slash practically everything. It's a good way to eat poo poo. Feels real good once you start hitting those counters though

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

Eimi posted:

Another pro for RiseBreak is that it doesn't have the loving clutch claw, the worst mechanic.

Slamming monsters into walls felt so good though.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

suuma posted:

Slamming monsters into walls felt so good though.

Another pro for Rise then

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Marionette Spider rules

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
The clutch claw is just like wyvern riding to me, objectively cool mechanics that just become annoying because of how often you do them.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Marionette Spider rules

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

metasynthetic posted:

I saw MH is on a Steam sale this week and wanted some advice on if I should buy Rise or Iceborne. Specifically just Iceborne, I have the base game already and put in 150 hours on that at release, and about the same in 3/4. The fact that Rise is 'new' by itself doesn't mean much to me, it's been a long time since I played World and adding Iceborne to that would probably be about as fresh to me. I see that Rise just got an expansion itself, so I'm inclined to maybe wait a year or two and hopefully pick up both on sale unless Rise is significantly better than World in some way.

IB adds a bunch of dumb bullshit that makes the game more frustrating and most of rise’s biggest improvements are changes that make the game less frustrating, so if you’re not automatically going to play both then just get rise.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Glagha posted:

Yeah I had the same experience. You get used to it but you can't just strongarm everything like you would rage slash practically everything. It's a good way to eat poo poo. Feels real good once you start hitting those counters though

I just don't like how either/or strongarm is. It's either you're a super badass doing 3k+ damage on a single attack, or you're being a liability to the team. At least with Adamant Charge Slash and Rage Slash I can be consistently just KINDA cool. :v:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Has anyone timed out the difference between hunting using wyvern riding and turning off auto mounting ignoring wyvern riding completely?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Electric Phantasm posted:

Has anyone timed out the difference between hunting using wyvern riding and turning off auto mounting ignoring wyvern riding completely?

afaict most speedrunners don't mount, even if they aren't playing with the weird japanese speedrun rules where mounting (along with a bunch of other "cheese") is disallowed

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

MMF Freeway posted:

The clutch claw is just like wyvern riding to me, objectively cool mechanics that just become annoying because of how often you do them.

the difference is that wyvern riding just happens naturally over the course of a hunt from building up damage with aerial/wirebug attacks, essentially just replacing mounting as a flashy way to get some free damage. in sunbreak you can completely ignore it if you want and it won't make a huge difference in your ability to complete the hunt in a reasonable amount of time. clutch claw is something you needed to be actively paying attention to and babysitting throughout the hunt because a lot of the monsters in iceborne (especially the later ones) were balanced around it. clutch claw also had an issue where you had some weapons that had it incorporated smoothly into their moveset while with other weapons it was insanely clunky to try and use.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Gonna throw my vote in for both games, with IB first. Ignore all the IB haters, it's a great expansion and the story bits are fun. Also a really awesome final story boss.

Deco farming sort of sucks yeah but you don't really need to worry about or do it until after you beat the story when maybe it kind if matters if you want to super optimize damage builds. They also added a way to meld the most unique and hard to get decos so things like Mighty Bow or Guard Up aren't impossible to find.

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora

Electric Phantasm posted:

It seems to me that if you've got a strong endgame setup and you know the fight well, you can get more damage done on foot than you would in the same time with a mount, but the mount is way safer so if you're not speedrunning, just take the mount. Even then, a lot of speedrunners seem to be using mounts in the citadel if they're close to the swamp area because knockdowns in the goop last longer and you get the angry frogs that deal more damage.

dbzfandiego
Sep 17, 2011

Augus posted:

the difference is that wyvern riding just happens naturally over the course of a hunt from building up damage with aerial/wirebug attacks, essentially just replacing mounting as a flashy way to get some free damage. in sunbreak you can completely ignore it if you want and it won't make a huge difference in your ability to complete the hunt in a reasonable amount of time. clutch claw is something you needed to be actively paying attention to and babysitting throughout the hunt because a lot of the monsters in iceborne (especially the later ones) were balanced around it. clutch claw also had an issue where you had some weapons that had it incorporated smoothly into their moveset while with other weapons it was insanely clunky to try and use.

Grabbing onto a monster's face and blasting it was always fun, but it was clearly made with multiplayer in mind, I was the one in my group who always tenderized every part of the monster for fun, and things worked smoothly for that, But if you did not have someone like that in your group, or were that person in single player I can see how it would be a bit annoying.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

You can ignore tenderizing. It adds a couple of minutes at worse and perma aggroing them only mattered if you're rolling with max agitator. Just hit things with a weapon, it's that easy.

("light" weapon user here that for the longest time required two clutch claw hits to tenderize poo poo outside of the combo)

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

I wish the ICE mod for Iceborne would allow selecting the bits you want to use instead of being all or nothing. I'd really like to use the parts related to turning off softening mechanics and restoring the damage they took away because of those new mechanics. Likewise the deco changes where some key decos are guaranteed to drop in certain MR quests and drop rates are improved in general.

But then you get a bunch of weapon changes that are not all universally to my liking.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Might as well throw in my opinion as well - Iceborne is a great expansion and worth picking up, if only to experience the new and/or revamped monster fights. Glavenus, (Raging) Brachydios, SafiJiiva, Namielle, Alatreon, Fatalis, etc.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Iceborne is really good and well worth playing, it just has some things that I find pretty annoying (especially in the post-game)

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I dunno how I feel about switchaxe in sunbreak. The new combo is cool sure and power phials are better but in multiplayer the counter may as well not exist and stuff is fast and hard hitting enough that having that one defensive option feels limiting. I just keep getting knocked in my rear end.

It might be familiarity though, Hammer is pretty offensive and I play that fine

Wellwinds
Mar 20, 2010

metasynthetic posted:

Do you prefer the real life hunting experience of being a one man arsenal one sidedly slaughtering an animal? Pick Rise/Break

Do you instead want to feel like the interloping threat in a discovery channel presentation about enormous cat-dragons? Iceborne

If you enjoyed world get Iceborne, its more world with some new poo poo to play with and in spite of what a lot of people will tell you, the clutch claw may be something you end up enjoying, in much the same way wyvern riding is very love it or hate it

Rise is a bit of a junk food game; fun in the moment, not as filling overall, but you'll probably keep coming back and shoving another hunt down. Hunters get a lot faster and access to a lot of new OP moves and the monsters feel like the underdogs

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Yeah I mostly find myself using the counter just on roars or big telegraphed tail sweeps. SA is definitely more about mobility than defense though, don’t forget about those other switch skills. Switch Charger will get you out of jams and has iframes, and there’s the strafing one that I haven’t tried out but does seem useful.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

readying the swaxe counter and excitedly waiting while the monster turns 180 to attack someone else three times in a row and watching your switch gauge drain away is just one of those fates you accept, because when you do eventually land the counter you transform into a million dollars

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I keep forgetting to high five my animal buddies whenever I eat for the Dango skill that powers them up after you high five them. :mad:

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I dunno how I feel about switchaxe in sunbreak. The new combo is cool sure and power phials are better but in multiplayer the counter may as well not exist and stuff is fast and hard hitting enough that having that one defensive option feels limiting. I just keep getting knocked in my rear end.

I've been going back and forth on Offensive Guard because of just this. Just built some new sets with OG 2 now that I want to try more counter based CB play.

There's the one slot Diversion deco that's supposed to increase your aggro. Never tried it, but maybe it's time to.

Quite enjoying Dereliction + Blood Rite w/ Partbreaker as mechanics. Having to deal with the health drain and having Blood Rite as a means to refill health is pretty fun to juggle in-hunt.

Check the dropped shinies on the right. Of course, you never get this kind of thing until the endgame when you have most everything you want already. Afflicted Magnamalo after some mutual beat ups with Rathian.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Aug 8, 2022

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

It might be familiarity though, Hammer is pretty offensive and I play that fine

Go with elemental or exhaust phials for multiplayer. Power phials are only for solo play where you can reliably land the counter move. I rarely find myself using the counter in multiplayer. I just spam morph combo and zsd. Also, evade extender is mandatory in multiplayer.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Buy Iceborne.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

My switch axe strategy is to hit the monsters with my big axe/sword

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

WELP. I wanted a Mantle for the Bracers, got 3 instead not counting the fourth I carved.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I’m using a full Narwa/Ibushi set for Gunlance and it’s not the best but it’s a fun gimmick I have to be honest

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

quiggy posted:

My switch axe strategy is to hit the monsters with my big axe/sword

:hmmyes:

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Someone posted recently about Valstrax being the point where they want to stop playing with pubbies. I'm that pubbie - I just triple carted 10 minutes into a quest I spawned right after 3 people joined the quest. This after having done fine solo for those first 10 minutes.
:negative:

It may just be an easier fight solo, when you know you're the target of every attack. Still not used to it being able to change angle 360 on some of the followups. In a earlier run it shot at me across the zone at a distance I was surprised it could target, leave alone reach.

Having Guard Up 1 is probably paying off though I don't know which attacks are otherwise unblockable. They're all theatrical enough to be.

It's a fun fight, though difficult - but maybe better to not subject others to the "fun" I'm having while I learn the fight.

Impact phials are working way better than even Thunder elemental on the Narwa CB, which has the highest elemental attack. I dunno if it gets elemental protection when it charges up, but elemental phial explosions drop to a quarter of the damage at some points while raw seems unaffected through the fight and gets the same or slightly better phial damage.

Guess it's time I cleared out the Village quests on this PC account so I can start using Dango Moxie for fights like this.

E: Axe Hopper lets you jump over many attacks and the timing works out so that by the time you descend the attack is over and the mon gets to eat an SAED. Not many of Valstrax's attacks, where I'm happy to have proved conclusively you will be not merely knocked out of the air but also one shot. :science:

v1ld fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Aug 8, 2022

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
I spent the last two days making every single low rank armor in the game.

Why?

:negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Perhaps you made that post looking for validation from dumb goons but unfortunately I can only agree

why??????????