Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you hitting monsters with?
Bow
Charge Blade
Dual Blades
Great Sword
Gunlance
Hammer
Heavy Bowgun
Hunting Horn
Insect Glaive
Lance
Light Bowgun
Longsword
Switch Axe
Sword and Shield
View Results

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

So annoying how a few sites have done whatever search engine optimization tricks they needed to make Google pretty loving useless to search for stuff on this game.

Unless you explicitly specify reddit or gamefaqs or whatever to limit that cruft, but that defeats half the reason to search - to get that odd blog post or whatever on the topic.

Wish Google had a search filter that let me explicitly block results from sites. Time to check if there's a plugin for that I guess.

Are game8 and gamewithin or whatever just as annoying for other games?

Don't mind that they exist, do mind that they clog up search results so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Deified Data posted:

Can we all agree that Twin Vine is the worst silkbind on any weapon?

I was wracking my brain trying to think of one that's shittier, but I actually can't think of one. In the early game, before you unlock anything, it has some niche uses, but once you get access to mobility options like Evade Extender and Spiral Thrust its role becomes mostly "ah gently caress i fatfingered the wrong button while using spiral thrust/anchor rage and wasted my bugs".

I really, truly, absolutely don't understand why it costs two bugs. Two bug moves are usually explosive, apocalyptic moves that do insane work if used properly. Twin Vine does almost no damage, has almost no deployment range, and your reward for sticking it is a semi-convenient gap closer(which requires you to stick it in the first place and stay relatively close to the monster for the duration anyway or else it breaks) on a weapon with multiple gap closers.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Comparing Twin Vine to Impact Crater really shows how crap the former is.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

The bow has a silkbind skill that makes you flip backwards and your stamina recovery is a bit faster as long as you don't move. I don't believe it offers any invincibility when you flip back. It gets replaced by the aerial shot switch skill. I think that is a candidate for the worst.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Reiley posted:

The bow has a silkbind skill that makes you flip backwards and your stamina recovery is a bit faster as long as you don't move. I don't believe it offers any invincibility when you flip back. It gets replaced by the aerial shot switch skill. I think that is a candidate for the worst.

Being replaceable with something better already makes it better than Twin Vine, which pretty much becomes a permanently wasted silkbind move that you're stuck with forever.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The bowgun people seem to be unimpressed with the HBG countershot and countercharge, though the latter at least has value as a 1 bug parry. There's also recall kinsect.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I can't say that one GS skill you switch for Adamant Charge Slash is useless since I never used it, but it's just ACS is so drat good and it only cost 1 bug to use compared to the other skill's 2 bug cost.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

chumbler posted:

The bowgun people seem to be unimpressed with the HBG countershot and countercharge, though the latter at least has value as a 1 bug parry. There's also recall kinsect.

I like the countershot actually. Nothing wrong with being able to absorb an attack and dish out 200-300 damage in return.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Star posted:

I like the countershot actually. Nothing wrong with being able to absorb an attack and dish out 200-300 damage in return.

Yeah I think it's more the people looking for maximum dps don't like it since it has a big recovery, but the big recovery can also make you eat poo poo, and I think it doesn't deal well with multihit attacks. As a fan of big hits though, I do like when I can land it. Counter charger's problems are not lasting long enough, losing it from most actions, and charging just kinda not being that great in the first place.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

chumbler posted:

I'm not going to pretend I didn't replace Recall Kinsect at the first opportunity but its kinsect stamina recovery and free heals were genuinely useful. It's also a pretty generous dodge, and only used one silkbug. There's times when I'd actually use it intentionally, unlike Twin Vine, where there's always a better option available.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

chumbler posted:

Star posted:

Countershot would be alright if it didn't cost two wirebugs. Countercharge, on top of also only costing one, also contributes much more to what the HBG wants to be doing, which is doing constant sticky knockouts, so being able to poo poo out fully-charged Sticky3s at a much faster pace is very nice. Not to say Countershot isn't bad, it's fine, it's just kind of outclassed by the other option, especially when the countershot isn't actually that strong a hit considering everything it takes to get off a full-damage hit

If you made Countershot fire off a Wyvern round I'd reconsider

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Tekopo posted:

Comparing Twin Vine to Impact Crater really shows how crap the former is.

To be fair, Hammer pays a little for Impact Crater by forcing you to use Side Smash until HR6.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Side smash at least has a few applications, like being marginally faster and allowing you to do A -> X -> X for a faster golfswing.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Electric Phantasm posted:

I can't say that one GS skill you switch for Adamant Charge Slash is useless since I never used it, but it's just ACS is so drat good and it only cost 1 bug to use compared to the other skill's 2 bug cost.

At least Hunting Edge theoretically does a lot of damage, it's just incredibly hard to hit anything with it,

Still better than Twin Vine.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Farming for the gem from Magnamalo really makes me realize how much I strongly dislike Magnamalo as a fight. I'm fairly certain that at least once per fight I get hit by an attack I'm certain missed me, or his grab attack warps me over into his mouth from far away, or I'm blocking the direction he's flying at me from and he hits me anyways even with guard+5.

His attack patterns are also really bizarre in a way that feels kind of bad. He REALLY stretches the loose physics of this world too thin imo. He doesn't really feel like a real creature that has real weight much of the time, since he's exploding around everywhere to propel himself. Something the size of Tobi Kadachi I could believe that, but a bigass Magna? Ehhh.

Like, he's a really cool design and has some neat gimmicks, but he's just not a very fun fight, at least not one to do repeatedly. Nergigante felt like a much better execution of "very large yet mobile monster."

I'll also admit that a lot of the frustration comes from me seemingly never improving at him. Something about his attack patterns just makes it so hard to really parse what he's going to do next in a way I don't struggle with on other monsters. I know the answer is Git Gud but idk I don't have much problems with other monsters, just Magna.

CodfishCartographer fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Apr 17, 2021

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Try gunning him, his hit zones aren't too bad especially when glowing and I don't think any of his attacks can one shot you (though I've never been hit by his meteor dive as a gunner)

Science_enthusiast
Dec 2, 2018

TECH(no) WOMBLE
I got to HR stuff this week. This is the first time i find the game overwhelming. Mostly because I am hearing people talking about talisman farming and grinding for stuff- how do you all know what you are aiming for???

I feel like I am suddenly swimming in a sea of stats!

I am mostly using hunting horn- is there are particularly good one I should be aiming for?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Science_enthusiast posted:

I got to HR stuff this week. This is the first time i find the game overwhelming. Mostly because I am hearing people talking about talisman farming and grinding for stuff- how do you all know what you are aiming for???

I am mostly using hunting horn- is there are particularly good one I should be aiming for?
People grind to get specific weapons and builds: I wouldn't worry about it until you have finished most of the games and want to start looking into optimising your build. Talisman farming is mostly about getting a Weakness Exploit 2 charm with good decoration slots, but again, I wouldn't worry about it. The game is pretty doable even with unoptimised builds.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

v1ld posted:

So annoying how a few sites have done whatever search engine optimization tricks they needed to make Google pretty loving useless to search for stuff on this game.

Unless you explicitly specify reddit or gamefaqs or whatever to limit that cruft, but that defeats half the reason to search - to get that odd blog post or whatever on the topic.

Wish Google had a search filter that let me explicitly block results from sites. Time to check if there's a plugin for that I guess.

Yeah I thought wikis had gotten too clogged with ads, but now every little detail gets a dedicated page with 1000 useless words where the actual answer is hidden at the bottom like it's a cooking blog

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Also I played some LS and i feel disgusted with myself now.

Everyone shits on LS, right up until they try it with Quick Sheath 3 and realize it turns them into almost Vergil

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

I don’t know if I count as a “bowgun person” but counter shot makes me hoot and holler every time

The Postman
May 12, 2007

You may be wondering how you can find pawprint stamps in Monster Hunter Rise for the Nintendo Switch family of systems. I know what it's like to be searching for pawprint stamps in the game and with these instructions you can also locate this rare item. Let me first begin by describing what a pawprint stamp is... Now let's discuss what you use them for... Next I would like to go over my personal experience grinding for them without telling you drop rates or optimal locations...

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Everyone shits on LS, right up until they try it with Quick Sheath 3 and realize it turns them into almost Vergil

If the inevitable G rank update doesn't give long sword a judgment cut I don't know what they're even doing. Also energy blade for CB.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

v1ld posted:

I'm completely with you and it's made googling for any sort of game thing a bit miserable

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

CodfishCartographer posted:

Farming for the gem from Magnamalo really makes me realize how much I strongly dislike Magnamalo as a fight. I'm fairly certain that at least once per fight I get hit by an attack I'm certain missed me, or his grab attack warps me over into his mouth from far away, or I'm blocking the direction he's flying at me from and he hits me anyways even with guard+5.

His attack patterns are also really bizarre in a way that feels kind of bad. He REALLY stretches the loose physics of this world too thin imo. He doesn't really feel like a real creature that has real weight much of the time, since he's exploding around everywhere to propel himself. Something the size of Tobi Kadachi I could believe that, but a bigass Magna? Ehhh.

Like, he's a really cool design and has some neat gimmicks, but he's just not a very fun fight, at least not one to do repeatedly. Nergigante felt like a much better execution of "very large yet mobile monster."

I'll also admit that a lot of the frustration comes from me seemingly never improving at him. Something about his attack patterns just makes it so hard to really parse what he's going to do next in a way I don't struggle with on other monsters. I know the answer is Git Gud but idk I don't have much problems with other monsters, just Magna.

I could not agree more with the two things I bolded. I really, really dislike fighting the Magnamalo.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I don't understand the value of the dual blade silkbind move that lets you wirebug jump with the weapon drawn, seems like limited utility for a weapon that already has a switch skill to let you vault for free

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

I know Counter Shot and the charging mechanic might not be easy and good DPS like the tricks the LBG has this time around, but as a long time GS and HBG main, I love what they did with the identity of the weapon. I love charging a shot until the precise moment when the monster shifts its meatiest hitzone right into my reticle, optimizing my aiming so that I loose each shot right as it tops up.

I do wish the counter shot had some side-effect that fed into the playstyle, like buffing a random ammo in your repertoire, the way modern SA encourages using everything in your toolkit.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

In Training posted:

I don't understand the value of the dual blade silkbind move that lets you wirebug jump with the weapon drawn, seems like limited utility for a weapon that already has a switch skill to let you vault for free

The vault only works with a hit but yes it’s mostly a utility move and nothing move. It’s good for repositioning and going straight to an aerial blade flurry and it has a super fast cooldown. I use it over kunai because I mainly use silk to move or dodge since I hate the only offensive skill we get with it.

https://twitter.com/jacsnoodleboy/status/1383045048305000449?s=21

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Insect Glaive always intimidated me. This is so cool though.

https://i.imgur.com/C9vQcaK.mp4

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

LuckyCat posted:

Don’t be intimidated. Get bugs, throw yourself in the air, hope for the best imo

RuBisCO posted:

I'm completely with you and it's made googling for any sort of game thing a bit miserable

Blog post: where to find small creatures in every zone! Ah poo poo just Shrine Ruins and just Izuchi, we’re adding the rest later

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

LuckyCat posted:

In my experience, I've found this very cool and fun to do in the training room and almost impossible to do in practice. Maybe there's some camera-fu I need to work on to let me see and adjust more easily.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

RuBisCO posted:

It also doesn't help that anyone you would actually want to read writen guides from just makes video content now.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Huxley posted:

In my experience, I've found this very cool and fun to do in the training room and almost impossible to do in practice. Maybe there's some camera-fu I need to work on to let me see and adjust more easily.

You can chain that a third time and then execute the switch skill ZL+A divebomb to do like, 300. It’s a really fun loop when you get the hang of moving the camera around

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Science_enthusiast posted:

The melds you want to do are the ones you can't target anyway, so it really doesn't matter. Just dump tickets into it and see what you get, and then eventually you might be like "oh this sounds good I'll use this one". Same with armor, just walk down the armor list and see what skills are on what and you'll eventually see one that sounds cool

You don't need to worry too much about it

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Going to second the sentiments of "just go for it" with regards to IG. Of the weapons I've been picking up over the last while, it's pretty easy to get into? Aerial combos are something you get a feel for, and are definitely easier on some monsters then others.

wuggles posted:

You can chain that a third time and then execute the switch skill ZL+A divebomb to do like, 300. It’s a really fun loop when you get the hang of moving the camera around

The divebomb's damage goes up for each one you chain - you don't have to go for 3, since you'd probably be better landing on a chain of 1 or 2 then whiffing going for a 3.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Yeah I hate the four-hundred-thousand websites that are basically just recipe websites for video games where you're like "just loving tell me where to get the Sinister Cloth" but it's hidden fifteen paragraphs in a blog

Also I just got my first Magnamalos purple gem and yeah I think he's got some really fucky attacks. I was using bowgun against him and kept dying to attacks I was absolutely positive I dodged because I'd dodged it the other nine times doing the exact same timing but this one just so happened to hit me. I equipped my Evade Extender 3 charm and now he basically never hits me

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

People talking about GU got me wanting to play it again. Maybe I will after all my friends get tired of Rise. I had a very good High Rank SnS set and I barely got into G-Rank, so it'd be a lot of fun to improve on all of my sets.

E: That talisman was insane. It had like +13 Dragon Attack and something else relevant. I did a LOT of the bugged coal quest for charms.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Oxyclean posted:

Going to second the sentiments of "just go for it" with regards to IG. Of the weapons I've been picking up over the last while, it's pretty easy to get into? Aerial combos are something you get a feel for, and are definitely easier on some monsters then others.

The divebomb's damage goes up for each one you chain - you don't have to go for 3, since you'd probably be better landing on a chain of 1 or 2 then whiffing going for a 3.

I’m more likely to whiff on the divebomb than I am on my third flyby tbh

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Any of you World vets have any Nergigante advice? Moving to HH I was able to get both his horns off, but man - I just can't kill this fucker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Oldstench posted:

Any of you World vets have any Nergigante advice? Moving to HH I was able to get both his horns off, but man - I just can't kill this fucker.

Break his spikes when they are white. Make it a priority.