Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you hitting monsters with?
Bow
Charge Blade
Dual Blades
Great Sword
Gunlance
Hammer
Heavy Bowgun
Hunting Horn
Insect Glaive
Lance
Light Bowgun
Longsword
Switch Axe
Sword and Shield
View Results

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

The Postman posted:

I played the demo a bit and I like the gameplay but I'm not really in it for the story. Does it open up a bit after some lore and tutorials?

Game's not out yet so we don't know for sure, but it should a little. If it's anything like the first title, the main plot will unfurl more areas and villages and stuff as you go forward, and the postgame will just have everything plus at least one new area open and you can do whatever you like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

DarkHorse posted:

Do they occasionally disobey/mess up at the start of your training together before coming to a greater mutual understanding and coordination?

Want to act out my growing bond with a Pokémon I ride into battle and struggling together before we beat the poo poo out of a monster using the power of friendship

I think that the game says that when you select a skill for your monster that it sometimes will decide to do something else instead, I don't know if it's a flat chance per monster or if it can be reduced. The demo is easy enough you don't really need to select skills for your monster anyway, I didn't most of the time, the only time I really bothered was the Anjanath fight and trying to get the five turn reward in the second Trial Quest.

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much

Your Computer posted:

yeah 100%

it's a perfect chill out in bed game

Getting the pc version, if I want to chill out in bed I can use steam link and a Bluetooth controller to stream it to my phone.

rockinsaki
Feb 6, 2004

Skinless Half-Asian Wonder

..The Rider of a white horse. This rider wears a crown and will deceive many with talks of peace, but he will wage war against the saints.

mikemil828 posted:

Getting the pc version, if I want to chill out in bed I can use steam link and a Bluetooth controller to stream it to my phone.

This is the reminder I needed to get that poo poo worked out. I've been loving playing Rise, but sometimes I want to relax outside of a menu

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.
Getting the game on Switch and playing it docked because my computer is showing its age and I've heard bad things about the Denuvo DRM the Steam release is going to be burdened with.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I just played like the tutorial bits of the Stories 2 demo and I am shocked how much I am vibing with this. I liked what I played of the first Stories but the extra (Baby Kulu-Ya-Ku) bit of polish here (BABY! KULU! YA! KU!) is making all the difference.

Still wondering if I want to get it on PC for the extra smoothness though. That said, for whatever reason, every Switch demo I played runs slightly worse than the full version so maybe it may end up being slightly better?

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Unlucky7 posted:

I just played like the tutorial bits of the Stories 2 demo and I am shocked how much I am vibing with this. I liked what I played of the first Stories but the extra (Baby Kulu-Ya-Ku) bit of polish here (BABY! KULU! YA! KU!) is making all the difference.

Still wondering if I want to get it on PC for the extra smoothness though. That said, for whatever reason, every Switch demo I played runs slightly worse than the full version so maybe it may end up being slightly better?

As much as I'd like playing this in bed once in a while, I chose PC. Wish the PC also had a demo (it will, it's just post-release) to actually see if the load times are also bad. I got it at a 17% discount on GMG which is another reason I took the plunge for PC

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Dackel posted:

As much as I'd like playing this in bed once in a while, I chose PC. Wish the PC also had a demo (it will, it's just post-release) to actually see if the load times are also bad. I got it at a 17% discount on GMG which is another reason I took the plunge for PC

I am tempted to go for PC as well because of that discount. Though the framerate differences don’t seem that bad with the comparison videos that have come out in the last day.

Cant Ride A Bus
Apr 9, 2012

"Batman, Bruce Wayne. Bruce Wayne, Batman. Or have you met?"
Getting it on switch for the play-in-bed factor. My fiancée will be very glad to have me in bed playing games until 4am instead of in the living room. If anything is going to tear me away from Mass Effect it’s going to be Stories 2.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

I enjoyed the Demo of Stories 1 on my 3DS but never got around to playing it. I'm definitely getting the sequel on my Switch, as long as the reviews are good.

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jul 6, 2021

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1412790689394475012

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Nice, def not regretting my impulse pre-order now.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I’m getting it for Switch because I don’t notice the iffy frame rate when playing it as a handheld and I’ll more likely finish it that way, but boy do some of those PC screenshots of monsters look real good.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Do you guys bother with elemental CB in GU (or any game for that matter) or are you basically gimping yourself if you don't use impact? Does it have a base damage modifier like power phials in SA?

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.
So I got to HR3 playing only solo and am dipping into multiplayer now. First Mh game, maybe you guys can clarify some things.

I don’t understand the point of lobbies? I joined one and nothing is happening.

I have been able to join hub quests with the quest board tho, just picking quests at my rank and seeing if others are running them. Is this the main way to access the multiplayer portion of the game?

It also seems to make the game waaaay easier. It was taking me 20+ minutes to run hub quests solo. Now I’m hopping in and usually putting down monsters in less then 10. I’m sure I’m getting carried to some degree but whatever I guess

Also, how is loot divided? If we break parts, is it just “finders keepers” when they get picked up off the ground? What if we chop a tail? Can everyone cut that up?

The game really doesn’t explain this very well imo

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

hobbez posted:

I don’t understand the point of lobbies? I joined one and nothing is happening.
Lobbies are how you conspire with friends to play together. Or I guess advertise for randos in a more long-lived and targeted manner than the quest board, but I've never tried to use them for that.

quote:

I have been able to join hub quests with the quest board tho, just picking quests at my rank and seeing if others are running them. Is this the main way to access the multiplayer portion of the game?
With randos, yeah. Or by starting quests with the join request option set, so other people quest-board into your quest.

quote:

Also, how is loot divided? If we break parts, is it just “finders keepers” when they get picked up off the ground? What if we chop a tail? Can everyone cut that up?
The stuff that drops on the ground exists for everybody separately, you aren't taking it away from other people. Everybody can get all the loot.

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

Thanks for answering.

So it seems A) multiplayer is by far the most efficient farming method

B) this allows for a lot of carrying and also multiplayer becomes more of a mindless hack n slash deal.

It’s just when I was rolling hub solo the hunts were pretty hard. Now I’m just jumping into a group of 4 without really buffing up much and we’re rolling

E: like I just joined into a quest and before I could get to the mon he was dead and I got all the rewards lol

hobbez fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jul 8, 2021

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

If it's people taking top-tier gear from the end of the game into low rank then yeah that's gonna happen plenty.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I'd recommend avoiding the multiplayer in all MH games until you've fought all the monsters solo. MP is, indeed, way easier than solo, so much that you often don't actually get to experience the game or learn how to hunt. It's most useful for farming and tough G-level hunts.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

just play how you want, it doesn't matter

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
I'll worry about savoring the experience once I get to HR and have the layered armor outfit I want

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Johnny Joestar posted:

just play how you want, it doesn't matter

I agree, but getting carried through the early game can mean you don't really know how to play in the late game. I've had some 3-carts in G level where hunters clearly didn't know what they were doing despite being at a point that they'd had to have played for dozens of hours to get to. But hey, if you're primarily playing multi, and you're paying attention enough to not lose the quest for your partners, more power to you.

That and, in my opinion, MH solo is actually more fun. It really can become a mindless hack and slash - which is fine when you're just trying to farm, but sometimes, I want a challenge. That's one of the reasons I'm having trouble getting into Dauntless - I don't like the forced multiplayer.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I played through Village and beat the advancement quest before touching multiplayer, which gave me a good handle on the new wirebug stuff and weapon changes. After that, I don't think I did another solo hunt for 140 hours.

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

It does seem like kind of a shame because the skill I developed with my main weapon, and just getting good at the game in general, seems kind of wasted now that I’m in MP.

I just wish it captured the challenger of playing single player but oh well

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Idk if that's possible really, in multiplayer you have several different damage types all wailing on every vulnerable part and then you've got support stuff like stuns and paralysis and traps on top of it. Any monster that could withstand that punishment for long would be impossible to hunt solo (and I really like how the game lets you do hub quests by yourself)

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

One thing to remember is the current available content is not designed to be hard. All we have is the base HR stuff with like 2-3 advanced quests where things actually hit hard. The closest we have in terms of difficulty outside of the advanced hunts are the Apex hunts and even those aren’t particularly hard (with the exception of Diablos, that hateful fucker)

No MR/G-rank stuff with hyper agro AI and moves, no tempered/AT.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
New to the series in general and stories 2 looks more like my thing. I'm assuming there's no bad weapon and I should just play around to see whet I like?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Kingtheninja posted:

New to the series in general and stories 2 looks more like my thing. I'm assuming there's no bad weapon and I should just play around to see whet I like?

Yep. Some weapons will click more with you than others so try all of them.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I used bow as my ranged weapon through most of the demo and I think the only thing keeping it above gunlance was the fact they didn't give gunlance any weapons to craft. The charge mechanic didn't really feel worth missing a turn of damage but we currently only have a very small subset info to work with, and I doubt the game will ever get hard enough to make your weapon choices matter a whole bunch so long as you have a slash, blunt, and ranged weapon available at all times.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the impression i generally get from stories is that you're going to want to use all of the weapons at some point or another depending on the situation. it's not exactly the same as mainline games where each weapon is entirely self-contained and something you can focus entirely on if you want, the weapon choices in mhs2 enable various options in battle that can probably be much better for certain scenarios than others. thankfully they let you swap for free once per turn or whatever before you start laying into the enemies.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Oh yeah, we're talking about Stories not mainline right now.

Based on the demo the weapons look to be interchangeable in their categories (Bow/Gunlance, SnS/Greatsword, Hammer/Hunter Horn) and you'll probably be switching them in and out over the course of the game based on what the best one you can craft is since none of their skills seem super impactful. That might change but honestly in Stories 1 the Rider was essentially completely support after the first third or so of the game with all the actual damage being done by your monstie while you healed or enabled kinship stuff.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

hobbez posted:

It does seem like kind of a shame because the skill I developed with my main weapon, and just getting good at the game in general, seems kind of wasted now that I’m in MP.

I just wish it captured the challenger of playing single player but oh well

You can certainly still take a crack at hunts solo if you like playing that way more. I was kind of stubborn and insisted on doing everything solo for way too long. I learned a lot, but I had infinitely more fun the second I teamed up with some strangers. I still like to try out the new monsters solo when they come out because they're all pretty new to me. One solo round is usually enough to satisfy me though. Like others said: play the game however you want!

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

My first solo hub hunt took >45 minutes and left me pretty anxious by the end, but it got better!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Zore posted:

Oh yeah, we're talking about Stories not mainline right now.

Based on the demo the weapons look to be interchangeable in their categories (Bow/Gunlance, SnS/Greatsword, Hammer/Hunter Horn) and you'll probably be switching them in and out over the course of the game based on what the best one you can craft is since none of their skills seem super impactful. That might change but honestly in Stories 1 the Rider was essentially completely support after the first third or so of the game with all the actual damage being done by your monstie while you healed or enabled kinship stuff.

Yeah Stories 1 I just ran Hunting Horn the whole time and buffed/healed my Monstie. I'll be glad in Stories 2 to (maybe) take a more active role. I will have to remember to switch weapons, though. I kept using Hunting Horn all through the demo cuz that's what I was used to, but it's probably not a good idea in the long term.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
When you're messing around and exploring generally, you absolutely want to carry a blunt, slashing and piercing weapon. You can get a lot more specialized when hunting specific monsters.

However I also just discovered that Tetsucabra isn't a usable Monstie in Stories 2. 0/10 poo poo game, what a wasted effort, why did they even bother, why do anything

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Deified Data posted:

The charge mechanic didn't really feel worth missing a turn of damage

You don't actually miss a turn of damage! I found that out while getting the five turn limit for the second Trial Quest. I charged on turn 2 and then used Rapid Fire P on turn 3. What ended up happening was I used the skill, and then at the end of the turn, I fired off a regular power attack. So it's more like delaying your damage by one turn than missing it, with the added bonus of getting to use a more powerful skill.

Anyway a little over seven hours before I start frantically choosing the Stories 2 icon on my Switch yelling "LET ME IN." I really hope it unlocks at midnight but I have a feeling I will be disappointed.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Twelve by Pies posted:

You don't actually miss a turn of damage! I found that out while getting the five turn limit for the second Trial Quest. I charged on turn 2 and then used Rapid Fire P on turn 3. What ended up happening was I used the skill, and then at the end of the turn, I fired off a regular power attack. So it's more like delaying your damage by one turn than missing it, with the added bonus of getting to use a more powerful skill.

Anyway a little over seven hours before I start frantically choosing the Stories 2 icon on my Switch yelling "LET ME IN." I really hope it unlocks at midnight but I have a feeling I will be disappointed.

I am an old fart with an early bed time so my plan is to go to bed at my usual time, then wake up, make myself some coffee and a nice breakfast, then fire up the game!

And hopefully not scream "LET ME IN!" when I find it unlocks at noon or some poo poo. Please god no...

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I agree, but getting carried through the early game can mean you don't really know how to play in the late game. I've had some 3-carts in G level where hunters clearly didn't know what they were doing despite being at a point that they'd had to have played for dozens of hours to get to. But hey, if you're primarily playing multi, and you're paying attention enough to not lose the quest for your partners, more power to you.

That and, in my opinion, MH solo is actually more fun. It really can become a mindless hack and slash - which is fine when you're just trying to farm, but sometimes, I want a challenge. That's one of the reasons I'm having trouble getting into Dauntless - I don't like the forced multiplayer.

Yeah, I have to admit that I've enjoyed my Monster Hunter (World/Iceborne, at least), way more as a solo experience. It gets to a point very quickly where in multi you just chump on things easily, and people get some really bad habits.

Jehuti
Nov 19, 2010
So far MHS2 is real good, god. It even unlocked a few hours before midnight, and now I'm at work with a few hours sleep waiting for lunch so I can play some more. It's got me good, I wanna explore this new zone so bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

I got really bored doing multi with randos in Rise after spending one hunt too many just running after a monster while three narga LBGs uptimed it to death and once I started soloing stuff I started having a lot more fun

Rampages are a hoot with a full group though!