Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you hitting monsters with?
Bow
Charge Blade
Dual Blades
Great Sword
Gunlance
Hammer
Heavy Bowgun
Hunting Horn
Insect Glaive
Lance
Light Bowgun
Longsword
Switch Axe
Sword and Shield
View Results

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

I don't remember what happens post-Shara and Guiding Lands opening up. Do the new mons like Zinogre et al get introduced as story/side quests as MR goes beyond certain levels or do we hit up the events list to play them?

I've only run through the end of Iceborne once before and that's a hazy memory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

IIRC they unlock at certain MR levels, you'll hit caps as you level it up post-Shara, there will be a little bit of story and you'll get the new hunt. Rise handled it pretty much the same way.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

there's a few monsters that require specific zones to be leveled to certain points before they unlock regardless of your MR. Yian garuga, brute tigrex, maybe something else?

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

OK, thanks. I'll focus on Guiding Lands for a bit, then.

ICE mod doubles MR exp gain after MR 25, which is nice. I'm thinking of grinding up to MR 100 and unlocking weapon augments this time, unlike my last run where I did all but Alatreon and Fatalis as soon as things unlocked.

ICE also removes the need for deleveling GL, you can raise all zones to max at the same time.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
Shara 100 to 0 comboed me multiple times my first attempt. Then I put on a mirewalker jewel and it was easy enough

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

I used mirewalker too at the end. The frustrating part was getting around with the GL unsheathed since Shara moves around so much - so I was sheathing and running up to it to get damage in. But if you overcommit to an attack and then go into sheathe, well ... you'll be wishing for a Valor GL sheathe instead as you eat one of its ranged attacks!

Got it 3rd run once I did the sheathe thing properly, took 16 mins but it felt much longer with all the sheathing and running around.

Got it down to what I now know is final phase that first run directly after Ruiner with no wall bangs or any of the other tricks like breaking the forelimbs and head, but man that was a wearying slog until I finally ate the ultimate and died.

It's not a bad boss as much as I was unprepared and did not remember its mechanics at all from my last run.

A couple of the water beam attacks will chew through 150 stamina and then kill you if you try to block through them, learned that in the second run. Sheathe and run around, counter-intuitively, was the safest and quickest as a GL - I'm sure there are better ways, but that worked for me.

I wonder if that fight would be much easier with a GL without a palico along. Mine was drawing a bunch of attention, increasing all the running around.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Mar 20, 2024

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Looking at the Iceborne augments system and I've finally figured it out (I think), having skipped it entirely last run. Quoting the really succinct reddit post I found most helpful here for my and anyone else's reference.

quote:

Guiding Lands materials can augment weapons and are split into 'tiers' based on your MR. Until MR 40, you can upgrade Guiding Lands levels to 4, between MR40 - 70, to level 5, 70-100 to level 6, 100+ to level 7.

The first augment tier for Rarity 10 should be obtainable just from monsters that spawn between levels 1-5. Rarity 11 augment mats should unlock at level 6, and R12's are augmentable with TED materials, which are available at Guiding Lands level 7.

Here is a list of the augments and the what monster drops each material. (P.S. : In your builds that you take into the Guiding Lands, make sure to slot in Geology 1).
Looks like I'm not augmenting my Rarity 12 Jho GL for a very long while but I can put a health augment on the Rarity 10 Jagras GL right away and target the Rarity 11 Tigrex GL as another stepping stone at MR 70. I.e., as backups for tough matchups. I don't think I'm going to be able to wait for MR 100 to grind that sweet, sweet Raging Brachy set and GL.

Thanks for keeping it so very very simple, Capcom! Just staring at the GL tree to see which GLs to target took some time.

E: Capcom, here is my PhD thesis to show that I have understood my mission! o7

PS: I'm doing this partly as having something to do while I grind MR.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Mar 20, 2024

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Share uses sound, not water...

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Well I guess I'm a bit of an aberration because since diving back into Sunbreak I am having the time of my loving life, I definitely feel like the faster-paced combat in SB over IB suits me better and I'm absolutely in love with my layered Chaos Gore Magala set.

I've gotten myself into a discipline of drinking my mega potions at the start of a hunt but my supply is starting to dwindle, is my only option for farming the pale bloods from the blind dick dragon or is Gehrman hiding off in the shadows somewhere and can help a hunter out?

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Yeah, just gotta farm Khezu, but you can do the Low Rank version so it goes quick with SB gear.. Sometimes you can buy some with points or send the Meowcenaries on a route with a Khezu or two.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:

Lib and let die posted:

Well I guess I'm a bit of an aberration because since diving back into Sunbreak I am having the time of my loving life, I definitely feel like the faster-paced combat in SB over IB suits me better and I'm absolutely in love with my layered Chaos Gore Magala set.

I've gotten myself into a discipline of drinking my mega potions at the start of a hunt but my supply is starting to dwindle, is my only option for farming the pale bloods from the blind dick dragon or is Gehrman hiding off in the shadows somewhere and can help a hunter out?

Is Sunbreak not popular here?

I thought it was a far superior expansion to Iceborne (except IB's title updates, wa wa we wa they're good). Sunbreak has a better endgame loop/grind for sure.

If you mean pale extract, buy in bulk from the Argosy when they're in stock. Quite rare though.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I just drink regular drugs on most hunts, save Megas for higher level anomalies or Elders, and buy extracts when they're available + send meowcenaries to farm khezu.

Char
Jan 5, 2013

v1ld posted:

Shara Ishvalda was a miserable fight as a solo GL.

Can confirm and I did it with a Long 6

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
Mega demondrugs are like 2 more raw than regular drugs. Not worth it. But yeah break em out for special occasions

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

Mega demondrugs are like 2 more raw than regular drugs. Not worth it. But yeah break em out for special occasions

I break them out for wake up hits

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
Gotta break out the pills for the wake up hits

Do more drugs

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Mega Demondrug and Armorskin
Might and Adamant Seeds
Demon and Armor powders

Do ALL the drugs :catdrugs:

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Y'all are much better at managing inventory slots than I am, goddamn.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Vanadium posted:

Y'all are much better at managing inventory slots than I am, goddamn.

Yeah I'm clearly doing something wrong here

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

I love Sunbreak much more than iceborn, you're not alone.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I like both, but Iceborne is the one that sticks with me more because the immersive aspects and presentation really landed for me. Sunbreak is great, but by the end I felt like the emphasis on parries and counters and wirebug skills and wyvern riding made it feel too game-y. Sunbreak definitely made a ton of improvements I want to see stick around like being able to alter movesets slighty and the swaxe improvements and surge slash GS. NPC party members are also a great addition that I want to see stick around.

Slinger burst GS is still the best GS has ever been, though.

Also Iceborne had brachydios and Sunbreak didn't.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Mar 22, 2024

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Iceborne has poogie so its automatically better

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
https://twitter.com/CAPCOM_MHB/status/1772164053433205192

Zet
Aug 3, 2010
Just beat the FFXIV crossover quest but I can't find the rewarded poses it says have unlocked. I feel like I'm going crazy cuz there's only two very short pages of these poses to boot.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

There's a pose in the guild card, and then there's the emote? I don't remember if there was anything else. The jump emote is the last one.

Zet
Aug 3, 2010

felgs posted:

There's a pose in the guild card, and then there's the emote? I don't remember if there was anything else. The jump emote is the last one.

Oh goddamn, maybe I missed it in the guild card. I thought it'd be a pose when you were in game like "action pose" and "cute pose". I'll double check for 'em in the guild card next time. Thanks

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

Zet posted:

Just beat the FFXIV crossover quest but I can't find the rewarded poses it says have unlocked. I feel like I'm going crazy cuz there's only two very short pages of these poses to boot.

You get the jump from the first repel assignment.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Zet posted:

Oh goddamn, maybe I missed it in the guild card. I thought it'd be a pose when you were in game like "action pose" and "cute pose". I'll double check for 'em in the guild card next time. Thanks

poses are the static stances you can take, gestures are the active movement ones. The jump is probably in the gestures menu.

Zet
Aug 3, 2010
Oh, I figured it out... it was in the poses for the guild card here:

and not in the poses you can do "in game" like

(Which also happens to be a separate section away from where you set the titles and such for your guild card, so I was just hella lost that night)

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

You can do Hildibrand pose in World? Who knew?

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
If it’s not the dance, it’s not worth a drat thing.

Cambria Bold
Jan 1, 2024

chumbler posted:

I like both, but Iceborne is the one that sticks with me more because the immersive aspects and presentation really landed for me. Sunbreak is great, but by the end I felt like the emphasis on parries and counters and wirebug skills and wyvern riding made it feel too game-y. Sunbreak definitely made a ton of improvements I want to see stick around like being able to alter movesets slighty and the swaxe improvements and surge slash GS. NPC party members are also a great addition that I want to see stick around.

Rise did a lot of cool stuff with its weapons but I'll never get over them completely lobotomizing the base gameplay of the hunting horn. They really fried most of the braincells it took to use that weapon so thoroughly that it actively shrunk the amount of space they had to actually give it powerful and interesting buffs due to how easy it is to get them off.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

chumbler posted:

For whatever reason Rise/Sunbreak just doesn't click for me even though I've put a bunch of time into it trying to get to that point. I think there is just something about the general pacing of the game that makes it feel off to me - they give you so many parries and counters because you really need them this time around, rather than it being a unique gimmick of a couple specific weapons. I do wonder how much of the Rise/World debate really just boils down to "I like the one I played first better" though - World was my first MH game so that's what set my general expectations for the pacing/feel of the game and I could easily see someone going from Rise to world and feeling like the game is very slow and everything is too high commitment.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I think there is just something about the general pacing of the game that makes it feel off to me
I have 40 hours played and I'm still in low rank. aaaaaaaaaa

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
I played Rise on XBox PC pass (just Rise, not Sunbreak as it wasn't on offer) up to around HR 50 something. The other games I've played were the Wii and Wii U versions of 3, 4U, and World, so this was my first exposure to the B side of the series.

I also felt the pacing was off - as soon as I could, I started focusing on playing PUG HR stuff during North America primetime, since the player population seemed much lower than any other game in the series I've played and it was almost impossible finding groups hunting content I was interested in outside of that without staying up to 4 AM for Asia primetime or something. I was comfortably handling HR hub quests in MP or just solo when no one joined, then when that died off late night / earlier in the day I would do my LR SP quests and they just dragged on way, way too long.

What also stood out to me is how the HR stage of the game felt a little incomplete. I kept expecting Investigations or some other sort of extra layers to the game systems to come into play and they just never did. I got basically all the gear I wanted for lance way faster than in World, saw that there wasn't really anything left on offer I cared about grinding for but another 40 or so HR levels to fight Valstrax just to see what it was like, and finding groups was a pain in the rear end (the playerbase in this game seems notably less skilled / MH etiquette-aware than previous titles I played, too, although that's not the game's fault) and I just lost interest.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed myself and my time in the game and I'm glad I played it, but I'm also glad I didn't actually buy the game. LR takes twice as long as it should and HR had half as much as I expected which was not a good combo. That's probably why I didn't break 100 hours in this one, where in the older ones I would get to maybe 200ish. From what I can tell Sunbreak probably addresses some of these issues but like, MHW was more than enough game by itself, nevermind Iceborne.

Despite all my bitching, it was still a great time, like a solid 8/10 game, I think World just set my expectations too high.

metasynthetic fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Apr 3, 2024

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Let's all play GU and see what a real extensive low rank campaign is.

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
Gimme the World ecology/world building with the Rise switch skills/roster diversity!

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Fifteen of Many posted:

Gimme the World ecology/world building with the Rise switch skills/roster diversity!

:yeah:

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I don't dislike World at all but I really hated clutch claw in Iceborne. I think GU is the best overall but I really love Rise/Sunbreak - I don't necessarily want the speed of fights/amount of parries in other games in the future but it was fine for these games and I overall like them way more than World. I think I might like World more if starting a new game in that one wasn't incredibly slow - I'm just not a big fan of collecting things to track monsters and feel like the gear is pretty boring til endgame. Plus, I like the endgame of Sunbreak more than the Guiding Lands so I don't see myself going back to MHW or Iceborne over Sunbreak/GU. Hoping Wilds is somewhere in between MHW and Sunbreak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
I think I'm one of those people who didn't like big wirebug moves on weapons. Or, really, how they caused a lot of playstyles to feel like you're just waiting for your wirebug to come off cooldown for big damage/stun/counter/etc. and the rest of your moves are just filler.

I say this as an SAED enjoyer too so idk what it is about wirebugs. The movement is fun tho.