Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you hitting monsters with?
Bow
Charge Blade
Dual Blades
Great Sword
Gunlance
Hammer
Heavy Bowgun
Hunting Horn
Insect Glaive
Lance
Light Bowgun
Longsword
Switch Axe
Sword and Shield
View Results

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

This is my first monhun. When playing online I have to choose between the cat and the dog. The dog lets me ride it, which seems like a tremendous imbalance. I feel like the cats must have some incredible utility if you level them up to even come close to matching the dog go fast. Is this a maniac's delusion? I feel like wirebugs could get you around okay without a dog. I am a bow user.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

If you poison something once in a fight i.e. its mouth gets purple frothy, can you poison it again when that effect wears off? Same question with sleep/exhaust/etc coatings, are those effects once per fight or can I keep sleeping things?

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

YoshiOfYellow posted:

How tedious is coating management in this game for Bow? It's always a minor pain even though I do like the weapon. I was trying it out and was kinda eh on the silkbind skills, extra mobility and powering up your shots is neat but it's nothing as fancy as other weapons. But then I saw a video where someone wirebugged up into the air and then started doing crazy aerial shotguns and I was sold on it again.

You get that alternate wirebug skill by talking to someone out on the porch in the hub area. That one replaces the flip-back stamina refill skill and it actually lets you silkwire monsters to ride. So far coating seems really easy, you can hold L and toggle which coating you want on deck and then press X to apply/disable it so you don't waste it when you don't have a clear shot. The bowgun's 100000 different ammo types were a bit overwhelming for me but I wanted to try a ranged character as an old PSO RAcaseal liker so the bow's mobility and simplified coating ammo felt just right.

e: Most bows can only take like 2 or 3 types of coating so you're really picking out a bow that has both the charge types you like and also the coatings you want to play with.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

The khezu hammer looks good. The khezu bow is a work of art.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

How do elemental coatings work on bows that also have that element on them? I have the magomalos sinister bow which does blast damage but it can also take blast coatings, does that just increase the frequency of the big 100dmg blast numbers?

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Blast is actually a status, not an element. Bow doesn't get any elemental coatings as that's more Bowgun's thing. If you stack Blast Coating with a Blast Bow it increases the amount of blast buildup you'll do with each shot. This works the same with the other status coatings.

Someone described everything in this game as being like separate invisible meters. So blast coating on a blast bow would just fill the blast meter even more with each shot compared to just firing un-coated blast arrows, if I understand right?

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Here's another question: I got a talisman that grants the "leap of faith" ability, which it describes as increasing iframes (?) and dodge distance if you are facing and leap towards a large monster. There's a lot of little qualifiers here so I'm wondering if someone has experience with this skill that can help clear up what it does?
- Is it the same as the dodge distance modifier on e.g. the Wraggi cowboy hat?
- is it referring to the roll you do with your weapon drawn or the superman roll you do with the weapon sheathed?
- does it only work if you're facing a monster, i.e. it would work if you're facing but dodge sideways but not work if you are facing perpendicular and dodge forward across a monster's attack line?
- does it not work if you're rolling in any direction other than at the monster?

Thank you everyone who has patiently answered my questions thus far. There seems to be a lot of little details to this game that make sense once you're over the hurdle.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

I found an outfit combo that gives good skills (lv3 constitution, lv3 critical eye) that actually looks good together. I just want to post about this incredible feat. What a game.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

alarumklok posted:

this is good info, thanks. I had no idea about the Y thing either that's a pretty dramatic boost to the topheavy charge bows. I know I've been joining fights by jumping off the pooch and arrow swiping but I'll have to give it more attention if you can cut tails with it.

Be sure to use your B roll while holding ZL to get free charge boosts. You can ZL from outside orange reticle range and B roll in and just appear in crit range at red glow. Keeping the bow glowing means you're staying in your bow combo, and you can use B dodges in any direction followed by holding ZL to keep your glow up for a really long time.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Whoever mentioned 2 levels of evade extender was right, that amount of rolling around is addicting. It's also extremely good on bow for getting into orange range quickly.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Really happy I picked the bow. Or rather, I'm happy the bow picked me.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Map the Location pose set to your hotbar, then cycle to the freezeframe when you're up in the air, then hold a direction on the left analog stick and mash up or down on the d-pad. Works best when you're in a lobby with someone who doesn't know what this does.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

what do we think of having one player with a reliable mounting method loving off to grab a non-target to bring to the brawl

seems like a good way to get more shinies, if not for the time it would take to get the off-target mounted in the first place

How exactly does the wire trapping work? Is it just another hidden meter for if they get hit by wirebug skills or is it specific to certain switch skill attacks?

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

It's like other status effects where doing the right kind of damage activates the status after hitting a particular threshold.

For riding it's silkbind attacks, any kind of aerial damage, or damage from other monsters. You can tell when it happens because the damage numbers will have a blue aura.

Ohh I hadn't even considered the blue aura but I recall the Bow's jumping shot silkband skill doing that, that makes a lot more sense now. Thank you!

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Diephoon posted:

Yep, if you want to copy the best players speed run videos are the ones you probably want to look at.

Here is a FINAL BOSS SPOILER video of someone beating it in 4 minutes with a bow set they posted at the end of the video. (@ 4:20, nice)
(un-video tagged to hide thumbnail)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yb5jO6lZE60

As many could have guessed, it's focused on boosting attack and crits, the rest is the player performing extremely well!

What does Reload Speed do for bows? Is that just an extra skill from a bowgun-themed armor piece?

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Did you gain max power?

Yes.

What did it cost?

(sadly) Evade Extend 2

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Hellioning posted:

'Improved handling for bows', whatever that means.

Looking it up and apparently lv1 speeds up coating application and lv2+ auto-applies coats when you switch between them.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

I like how in a game with bows and bowguns there is a bow which looks like a gun but isn't a bowgun at all.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

If you have gear that has really big elemental penalties on it, you can just make decorations really cheap to either negate the penalties or turn them into bonuses. I just figured this out tonight. You can just put a coin on the armor that eliminates the drawback entirely.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

I'm "All-out Of Honey"

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

When I started playing this game as a Bow user my favorite bows were spread shot and my least were pierce, but now that I've made it to HR7 my favorite bows are pierce shot and my least favorite are spread. Rapid is ol' reliable for targeting specific locations but when you can position and aim better you get way more reward off a pierce shot, and you can hit weak points from basically any angle shooting through the monsters. Just wanted to share the story of my journey.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Right now I’m seeing tons of long swords as usual, but also a TON of light bowguns.

I mean can you blame them? Look what they get to use:

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

I made an armor set with lv6 attack boost and lv3 critical eye just because I wanted big numbers and then I found the Diablos bow. The critical eye plus affinity boost ramp-up on the bow brings it to -1% affinity and I slotted an affinity sliding gem on it. I'm one attack boost level away from maximum raw damage, I feel like the doomguy.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

your cat is also a dumb useless piece of crap, though

both of them exist to give the monster another target so you can get a spot to breathe

My cat tethers monsters with a mooring line and sets two kinds of traps, and sets a theraputic aroma pot whenever I get a status ailment. It's incredible, the whole team loves Spike the cat.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

The little grapple line they do is one of my favorite cat skills. Flying monsters try to fly away and crash, and you can stand at the perfect range for a dashing one to try to charge you and it falls on the ground right in front of you. It's tremendous power for seven pounds of cat to wield.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Fashion Hunter posting with the little man. I always make sure we match.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

How does applying elemental damage to an attack work? If a weapon has a damage number and an elemental damage number, and a monster has a weakness to that element or no weakness to it, how does the elemental number factor in to how big the number you do ends up being?

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

grieving for Gandalf posted:

you will literally have to watch youtube videos to find out

I am really into this Diablos bow so I was curious what the damage output cost was for the simplicity of having one gigantic bow instead of five elemental ones and I think this post answers my questions very succinctly, thank you.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Harrow posted:

The answer is: for bows, elemental is better, but you will need to have a bow of every element and know which monsters to use them on (and have decorations to boost elemental damage) for it to matter. If you're doing fine with your Diablos bow, then you're doing fine and don't need to chase down a bunch of elemental bows just to squeeze out a little bit more DPS.

This video has a pretty detailed breakdown of which elemental bows are good and what armor skills to pair with them if you end up deciding you feel like making some extra bows, though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UOwo89Cv0s

Thanks! I was more curious how it worked since I've put up big numbers with elemental bows leveling up, I'll give that video a watch. I was at 6 attack boost before but I got an amulet with 2 constitution and affinity sliding so I did some reworking and my diablos set is 4 con 3 attack 3 crit eye 2 evade extend, I got -1% affinity before sliding ad the bow feels like it simulates always having power coating. It feels good enough that I can just hop on with friends and hunt whatever we want without making them wait for me to rebuild my loadout each time.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

The gyro aim options in this game are really robust, you can toggle when and how sensitive gyro aim is in basically every conceivable situation. Like I have it disabled outside of holding ZL and it makes precise aiming really easy, it's as close to mouse & keyboard as you can get on a Switch and if you're a gunner and haven't explored the gyro settings yet I highly recommend it.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

v1ld posted:

It's a percentage that says how much of elemental damage is applied to that spot (elem dmg * 0.24), same as bladed, blunt, or gunner hitzones. From memory, elemental damage = weapon elemental damage * elemental hitzone % * sharpness modifier. There are other modifiers but that's the base of it, from memory.

Kiranico has good damage explanations for each game, though I doubt one is up for Rise yet.
Oh this actually does make sense. So it's a percentage of the elemental number added on to the normal damage number based on an elemental "armor" on different parts? So ising an elemental bow on a weak enemy adds a greater percentage of that damage value than otherwise.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

I just noticed tonight that the attack and defense up skills shift from being +X values at lower levels to +Y%, +X when you invest more points into it. Has it always worked like that in the series? I've never seen a game do that before, it seems like a clever way to reward commitment.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Rolled a pendant with 2 constitution and reworked my gear to have 5atk 4con 3crit eye and it feels like I can dash and fire the bow forever. Incredible what high constitution does for this weapon.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I keep trying to make Bow happen and I'm killing 4* village monsters with it but man I feel like I'm not doing great with it at all. Looking forward to Arekkz' Bow video to see how to get the most of this because I've been trying to play Bow since 4U and I'm gonna do it damnit.

The trick is maintaining your maximum charge level glow as long as you can while shooting at the weak spots. You can move while charging and then hold ZL to begin aiming, but the meat of the combo as far as I understand it is ZR > evade > hold ZR is the low commitment pokes and if you are safe to hang out in the same spot for a while its evade > ZR > A > A > evade > hold ZR again to do a shot and then the two power shots. When your stamina gets close enough to the end where you can't evade again you can end a combo with the power shot A buttons and then either silkband jump air attack or dragon piercer.

If you're not keeping your gold or white glow up the whole time you're not gonna be doing max damage, which is the hard part. Also if the monster ever turns its face towards you evade to the side and keep firing when it attacks where you were.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Spread bows seem like they work really well with the dodgebolt switch skill, since they benefit from being at basically melee range you'd be getting a big chunk of bonus damage every time you reposition with evade, but the tradeoff would be you wouldn't gain levels while rolling so you'd depend on pre-charging to build up to a good initial charge rate.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Do monsters "recover" from exhausted state like they would with poison or paralysis or is it like their stamina bar is depleted for the remainder of the hunt?

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

HPanda posted:

As I recall, they can either enrage and get themselves out of it or leave to go eat something (usually the carcasses you find littered about).

It seems like a fairly rare coating to have on bows so I can understand that being the case if it's this powerful, thank you.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Diablos bow has four charge levels all by itself, that's my solution to that problem..

e: Cat bow as well.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

New monsters Royal Kelbi and little Khezling introduced in controversial new patch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Zore posted:

Also we already have a Great Kelbi/Kelbidrome :colbert: Kirin

Oh, to fell a majestic Stag cresting a frost-whispered morning hill.