Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you hitting monsters with?
Bow
Charge Blade
Dual Blades
Great Sword
Gunlance
Hammer
Heavy Bowgun
Hunting Horn
Insect Glaive
Lance
Light Bowgun
Longsword
Switch Axe
Sword and Shield
View Results

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Neo_Crimson posted:

Hunting Edge sucks, it's way too hard to hit anything with it and the damage doesn't even seem good. You're better off using Power Sheathe then a normal ZL+X jumping attack for 2 wirebugs.

Adamant Charge Slash is much better than Hunting Edge, but it has a short dash that can still be a little hard to aim at first.

A while ago but this is definitely false, Hunting Edge rules. The mounting damage is great, especially with the charged plunging attack, and it just takes a bit to get used to landing. Not only can you do it from a ways away, but if you use it right next to pretty much any monster you will almost never miss the initial hit, after that it's just a matter of aiming your charge in midair. Definitely one of the most fun Great Sword moves, I can't use it enough.

Adamant Charge Slash is good too, I pick it sometimes for smaller monsters. But Hunting Edge is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Thumbtacks posted:

I just wish HH had multi button songs again, that felt more satisfying.

Yep, I was excited when I saw echo mode was a thing but there the songs are 1 note lol. At least I still have tons of GU horn to play

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Johnny Joestar posted:

look, people were incapable of watching a cutscene for 30 seconds every now and then so now we get nothing

You got a cool cutscene for every monster in the game which is far better than all the Handler Lore (Handlore) in World.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

how does this work, i haven't tried GS in Rise yet

like this

https://streamable.com/uhobb1

rise GS is perhaps the greatest Sword

https://streamable.com/dretwe

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Pablo Nergigante posted:

How do I get commendations. Some weapon upgrades need them

Multi monster quests in the arena usually. Not the arena quests just the ones that take place there in hub/village

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

The rampage weapons are clearly going to get better with every new apex they add. Late April hype

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Bleck posted:

the rakna-kadaki set is basically entirely for spread-focused bowguns

the rakna-kadaki bowguns do not have spread ammo

I'm so upset about everything they did about this monster

they have Shrapnel ammo, which is boosted by the skill on the set

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Finishing off a monster by getting off a full True Charge Slash right in in their giant face as they try to charge me is the greatest feeling in video games.

I still need to learn more about good times to tackle, I spend most of my time as great sword just doing a draw attack and maybe one follow-up. Getting in the charge attacks usually has me dodging out before I can even think of going in on the TCS.

A good rule of thumb is strong charge into TCS on knockdown, but with rage slash you have time to do draw charge into strong charge into rage slash or strong charge into strong wide slash into rage slash most of the time. You can cancel a roll straight into tackle with X and go into strong charged slash from there.

Strong wide slash is extremely good in this game, and you can do it after a jumping charge slash too, not just a strong charge slash. So you can do jumping charged slash via Hunting Edge or wirebug or just jumping off your dog into strong wide slash straight into TCS or rage slash. Probably the fastest way to get there without a lot of tackling.

Evil Eagle fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Apr 4, 2021

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Did you join partway through? You don't get credit for sub-assignments completed before you join

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Cant Ride A Bus posted:

Also I can’t believe it took them this long to make Khezu dual blades. They rule

There are extremely strong Para/Thunder Khezu dual blades in GU

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

They should bring 15 levels of deviant urgents back. But also the veggie elder

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Roll -> Tackle -> Strong Charge without releasing -> Tackle -> TCS/Rage Slash

Wirebug/Hunting Edge/Jump off Dog -> Jumping Charge Slash -> Strong Wide Slash (A) -> TCS/Rage Slash

Adamant Charge Slash -> Strong Charge without releasing -> Tackle -> TCS/Rage Slash

Skip the tackles and actually release your strong charges when time allows, and when you have even more time do Strong Wide Slash after your full Strong Charge.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Oxyclean posted:

I keep thinking about booting up GenU again to see more monsters I've missed out on. But then I think about paintballs. And standing still to heal. And not being able to sheath the weapon with sprint, and greatsword not having TCS....

You can instead sheath the weapon with a dodge art or an extremely powerful counter dodge. Valor and Adept GU Greatsword are way more fun than World TCS Greatsword ever was but Rise really does make it hard to pick which is best.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

Is felyne insurance in this game? Ive beaten the final boss and done all of the dango quests i can find and I still dont have it

It's a Daily Dango

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Electric Phantasm posted:

Has anyone been able to do the "repel monsters with bamboo bombs" objective in rampages consistently? Is there some secret to it?

consistently no. but you can bet I'm shoveling coal into the fire and knocking monsters with the blue icon into bombs with retreat shot when possible

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

My favorite HBG is the Meteor Cannon, it really takes advantage of the new charge shots. Sticky 1/2/3 with charged Sticky 3 as your main ammo. 1 stack of Sticky 1 will craft into nearly 3 more stacks of Sticky 3 with gunpowder, and sticky 1 is easy to craft as well. It comes with 3 status ammos, Sleep 2/Para 2/Poison 2 which apply status fairly quickly. Finally it has Wyvern Shot which paired with sleep does Greatsword level damage when charged.

So you can open a hunt with sleep + bombs and wyvern shot, paralyze immediately after, then fire all of your Sticky 2 into the head before the paralyze is up for a KO. From there just focus on headshots with charged sticky 3. Really fun gun, it's what I wanted when I first saw the charged shot hunter art in GU.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I made this one and tried it against Magnamalo and really struggled to squeeze a win out. I think maybe it would be easier with Gyro controls, or maybe even trying to slot in Focus or something, but I just couldn't hit the headshots with enough frequency to keep him locked down. It's definitely one of those thing that I think I could have won if I just had more damage output with Artillery or Attack Up, but to get those Decos I need to do more farming, but I cant farm fast without a stronger weapon........

Magnamalo is kinda hard to hit in the head consistently, but yeah I have all those decos and didn't move on to HBG until after many hunts with greatsword

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

HBG shields are unnecessary, in this game with such a ridiculous evade extender.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

chumbler posted:

I will uncover its hidden secrets.

The secret is that it's a lot more fun to use and great mounted damage. Also easy to land if you use it up close. Enjoy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Valstrax resentment skill + rage slash is sick

https://twitter.com/dinominal/status/1398832317771051010