Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you hitting monsters with?
Bow
Charge Blade
Dual Blades
Great Sword
Gunlance
Hammer
Heavy Bowgun
Hunting Horn
Insect Glaive
Lance
Light Bowgun
Longsword
Switch Axe
Sword and Shield
View Results

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I'm tempted to try HBG from the start just to see how it's like to go from pauper ammo to the real stuff. I might not be able to resist the siren calls of switch axe and gunlance, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Electric Phantasm posted:

Oh God I just realized with the ability to recruit more Palicos they're gonna include the saddest thing in any Monster Hunter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwN8Ji6rWck

:smith:

That's why you hire every palico.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

LS is also pretty good but I cant actually recommend LS to anyone.

Yeah not everyone can handle the sheer power of LS.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The new ink painting art for the monsters is cool, but a part of me will miss the square, vaguely mesoamerican I guess? style.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I can't read this myself, but as I understand so many people asked for Friday off for Rise at whatever company that they just decided to make it a company holiday.

https://news.yahoo.co.jp/articles/5f7299f410c4ecb3e9ebe50509e2651cfda1f833

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Shoot, I forgot there was a deluxe and got standard. Is there a way to upgrade on the eshop? Need that fashion.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The hoarfrost reach battle music and guiding lands battle music are both fantastic.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

It'd probably be nargacuga for me, though mainly because of this perfect video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0fc_9ZMjuc

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The only excuse lance fans ever give went out the window when they added blast dash.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Weighing whether to stay up late for intro stuff and just one hunt if it's going to be at midnight PST... If only they'd make tomorrow a company holiday.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

404notfound posted:

I picked up GU when it was on sale some time ago but didn't end up playing it much, so I guess this'll be my first real MonHun! I like being support classes in games, but how does the horn fare as a solo weapon?

Every weapon is solo and group viable, especially long sword. There is no support class in MH. You support by hitting the monster and maybe sometimes tossing a powder or putting on wide range as a skill and chugging a potion. There is also healing ammo for bowguns but nobody in the history of time has ever fired one.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I'm sorry, it's my fault. I didn't want it to come out until I took care of some work stuff.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

ketchup vs catsup posted:

how is this not "my body is reggie"

just...how.

Because that's not the line he said.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The swaxe dive wirebug art is a bit hard to hit with but god do I love it. It's way more fun than invincible gambit.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Finally had time to get through low rank, and magnamalo is a great monster. I was disappointed to see its armor was not the same as the amiibo armor, so hopefully they release that to the rest of us plebs eventually.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Oxyclean posted:

Same. Feels hard to play fashion hunter when I kinda care about skills/defense values.

Pick swaxe and you get to look like a big red armadillo or a robot, so you win for both fashion and skills.

I want the amiibo magnamalo layered armor, though.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

DLC Inc posted:

this is the most accessible game in the series maybe ever, how on earth did a person write this https://kotaku.com/monster-hunter-rise-is-tough-to-get-into-as-a-newcomer-1846579126

Kotaku.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The sets do seem much more clearly focused to specific purposes than world sets were, even in low rank where the volvidon set is pretty much hey are you using swaxe? Likewise somnacanth having sleep and bombardier.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I think world was just an outlier in that stamina cap loss was just very slow. GU and rise seem pretty similar for stamina cap loss, in that it is pretty fast.

Kilazar posted:

Whats with the butterflies around the mons in multi mon missions?

Doing the sumofrog/volvi The Hottest Around, and they both have red butterflies following them.

I'm not sure, but I've seen them around basarios' back rocks as well, so it's not a multi-monster thing at least, I think. Couldn't figure out if you could do anything with them, though.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Also note that if you have the dive wirebug art and have some phial energy left, you can do it while flying away from the ZSD explosion to get in another big hit and feel cool as hell.

Switch axe rules.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Almudron is cool as hell but boy am I bad at fighting him.

Hellioning posted:

Rajang is immune to 3 elements which is very rude when you bring one of those three elements to fight him.

Classic rajang.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I only just noticed last night that holding down the L button zooms your minimap in to be the detailed map. Game changer right there.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I haven't sat and actually watched him, but I assume that magnamalo's attack patterns are based on which parts of him are currently on fire.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Speaking of charge blade, I'm not really feeling the alternate guard morph or axe spin yet. Losing the spinning axe on knockdown or sheathe is kind of annoying. It can definitely crank out damage, but the stars have to align to a much greater degree than just getting out a regular charged sword slash. It's probably just that both switch skills need a larger change in how you play the weapon than for other weapons, but has anyone been getting much mileage out of them?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I realized last night that I had been misunderstanding the swaxe condensed element finisher or whatever it is called (the spin rather than ZSD) switch skill, largely from not paying enough attention to its description. I was treating it like ZSD and waiting to get amped state first, but that doesn't actually matter, nor does the amount of phial juice remaining since it blows it all anyway. It does appear to give a big chunk of charge for axe mode if you land it, though. I need to play around with it more and see if it is a static amount or scales with phial juice remaining when you do it. It seems like a skill tailored for people who want to largely use axe mode since I think on the whole its damage is probably a bit worse than ZSD and it's not really much safer. It seems probably also best paired with invincible gambit rather than the dive, since you won't have anything left to make use of the dive after. Downside is if you whiff it or miscalculate how much you'd get, then there goes all the gauge you'd been building.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Kokoro Wish posted:

Sounds like you're headed for Long Sword, m'boy.

Many seek out its power, but only few are truly chosen.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Kirios posted:

Rise is the most Japanese game I've ever played and I'm not sure how to feel about that.

Fine? Disappointed that you haven't played any games heavily inspired by a given culture before? If you want more of it, play Toukiden 1 and 2.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I have a hard time staying on Almudron's tail, though granted much of that is unfamiliarity with it from only having fought it in LR twice. It definitely has movement that is unlike most monsters its size, and probably benefits more from gearing around.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I keep trying to use a new weapon, but they made switch axe too good and I cannot resist its pull. The dash recharge wirebug move is so incredible once I got it worked into my routine better, and condensed finishing slash just feels good even if ZSD is probably better overall.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The bowgun people seem to be unimpressed with the HBG countershot and countercharge, though the latter at least has value as a 1 bug parry. There's also recall kinsect.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Star posted:

I like the countershot actually. Nothing wrong with being able to absorb an attack and dish out 200-300 damage in return.

Yeah I think it's more the people looking for maximum dps don't like it since it has a big recovery, but the big recovery can also make you eat poo poo, and I think it doesn't deal well with multihit attacks. As a fan of big hits though, I do like when I can land it. Counter charger's problems are not lasting long enough, losing it from most actions, and charging just kinda not being that great in the first place.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Everyone shits on LS, right up until they try it with Quick Sheath 3 and realize it turns them into almost Vergil

If the inevitable G rank update doesn't give long sword a judgment cut I don't know what they're even doing. Also energy blade for CB.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

How many of you fully bird up before reaching the target monster? I'm honestly kind of lazy about it and just pick up whatever is along the main road or the most direct shortcuts, and then just whatever I run into when the monster moves. The bird gathering is one thing I'm not too fond of, though I do get their value for sign posting. If they didn't have the attack birds I might mind it less.

Huxley posted:

Which piece is this?

Almudron head for female characters. It has two points of rapid morph so it's pretty standard in baby's first switch axe and possibly also CB HR set.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

In Training posted:

The thing to know about MonHun speedrunning is that there are 500 hunts you didn't see before that video.

Yeah this is the truth, and why worrying about optimized dps on the training dummy is a waste of time. Use what feels good to you.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Yeah I definitely would not want to do another rampage solo, but they are fun to do a few in multiplayer. I didn't particularly have trouble with getting people to fill out the team from join requests, so it is at least still reasonably populated.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Yomogi is the real hero of every rampage.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Electric Phantasm posted:

Oh hey just found out the Rakna-Kadaki armor tells a story

Oh...

I don't know, sounds like they got what they were after.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Aside from chameleos, apex rathalos, and whatever the true final boss will be, any guesses on what other monsters will be coming in the update? They can't just taunt us with zamites like this and not put in zamtrios, so that's my guess for one.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

It feels like each weapon has about 2 tailored sets or close enough that you can cover the gaps with decorations, and then there are the gimmick sets like somnacanth, mizu, and magnamalo. Ranged weapons and gunlance are left a bit in the cold I guess because of the ammo type skills and artillery being very limited in availability and basically required, and this is also ignoring if you want to slot WEX and crit boost and the other meta clown suit skills. It's probably beating a thoroughly dead horse at this point, but WEX and crit boost are I feel just too limiting and boring skills, and capcom either doesn't notice or doesn't care/thinks they're fine. They just lead to people ignoring other options that require more work or conditions than the thing you're doing normally just being better, and possibly better than the more involved options to boot. Similarly nargacuga weapons being often the best or close enough to it choice.

Brutal strike is at least an interesting choice in terms of steering people away from crit, but it kinda sucks when you accidentally get some affinity that cancels it. Likewise with dulling strike and bludgeoner, but their bonuses just aren't good enough to really compete as I understand.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Apr 19, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Oldstench posted:

I swear I must be the worst at this game that you can be. I finally got Nergigante using the barrel cheese, but it then took me 50 loving minutes to kill Kushala Daora. WTF is that normal?

Yeah that just sounds like everyone's first kushala fight. The best advice is to pick a ranged weapon and/or go for hitting him in the face because you can break it like 6 times for knockdowns (and need to break it a bunch to get the actual drop).