Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you hitting monsters with?
Bow
Charge Blade
Dual Blades
Great Sword
Gunlance
Hammer
Heavy Bowgun
Hunting Horn
Insect Glaive
Lance
Light Bowgun
Longsword
Switch Axe
Sword and Shield
View Results

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

This is my last day with the trial, but I have to say, it sold me on the game. I get an overwhelmingly comforting feeling from this game that I haven't had in a very long time.

Monster Hunter is a great series with beautifully complex mechanics, but what really makes it special is it's charm. Sure, you're fighting huge monsters, getting knocked around and responding in kind, carving up body parts as a reward which is metal as gently caress, but ultimately you're doing it so you can dress up your cats and dogs and so you can cuddle your moofy and porgie after a hunt again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
World let me name one cat after a friend's actual cat.

Rise let me name an endless stream of cats with cat puns.

I miss Wooster, but Dr. Peppurr and Meowntain Dew are my new best friends.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Compressed Finishing Discharge makes me feel like I engage with all that Switch Axe has to offer. Regular Finishing Discharge makes me want to spam Zero Sum over and over.

I'm at the point where I often make decisions based on how much they make my hands hurt from rapid, repeated button presses, so Compressed wins out. Also I think it's more stylish, and bonus points when you make the longsword players go flying.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
I don't know about y'all but I'm mashing buttons no matter what weapon I'm using. Dual Blades just registers more of those inputs than other weapons.

Also, the choice bug fix I noticed was "fixed item shortcut input taking longer than intended to register when used with an unsheathed weapon," which is a tacit admission that we're not all crazy and you definitely have needed to hit your radial menu shortcut more than once to get the input to register properly. Up to this point anyway.

I feel validated.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Pretty sure Super Recovery Dango only activates when the monster isn't aware of you unless it's in the level 4 slot, so level 3 and below is somewhat of a waste with Dereliction.

I'll typically eat Super Recovery (4), Medic (3) or Hi-Defender (3) (or whatever the Divine Protection one is called), and Feet/Marksman (1) since I leave off Flinch Free from most builds these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Black Noise posted:

I could only bring one buddy with me during group hunts.

lol if you don't make animal noises during hunts and roar back at the monsters and pretend to be in prowler mode