Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you hitting monsters with?
Bow
Charge Blade
Dual Blades
Great Sword
Gunlance
Hammer
Heavy Bowgun
Hunting Horn
Insect Glaive
Lance
Light Bowgun
Longsword
Switch Axe
Sword and Shield
View Results

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
The reviews are pretty drat positive, only complaint I’m seeing is the endgame not being particularly great. Suspect that is the April update along with chameleos though so will hopefully be remedied quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

oof, review just mentioned that endgame lacks elder dragons and tempered monsters. That kinda stings but I hope post game stuff are the first things they add in the content updates. Sounds like the game kinda ends after the last quest and there's not much else to do.

still super excited tho and Im confident that Capcom can add to the game and really make it something special. Any word on what the first few updates will be?

I suspect that it's just a casualty of covid to be honest and rather than risk the game coming in hot and then having to potentially do a bunch of post launch bug fixing like a lot of games have had to do with missing their late development spit'n'polish period, they chose at some point last year to put some of that stuff into post launch updates rather than potentially compromising parts of the game.

They've said the first update in April will add a couple monsters (Chameleos, is one and that's an elder dragon) and uncap your ranking. So it's possible they've compartmentalized it a bit. Essentially I suspect a lot of the elder dragons will get added sooner rather than later.

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Mar 23, 2021

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I hope layered armour of some description gets added asap, there's so much cool armour in these games that it's a shame to just get stuck wearing whatever has the skills you want on it.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I don't really get the utility/design reasons behind designing this nice village setting and then once you get to high rank, forcing you to go into the hub to see the high rank quest list. Like, just let me see the full quest list from either of the twins?

I'm curious how the lategame grind is going to feel without investigations (I assume they're not in, they haven't cropped up yet) cause those felt like a good way to get a bit more of a chance to get the rare poo poo. Do you just keep repeating the main quests that contain the monster you want poo poo from? For some reason that feels more nakedly grindy even though it's essentially just a nomenclature thing.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Yeah I can’t fault the number of monsters in the base game at all. Perfectly fine number, the main thing I want from updates is a few more avenues for getting the rare drops from hunting and hopefully the layered armour system cause I am regretting picking a lady right now with how much armour looks dumb as hell on her.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Aerox posted:

Hammer bros (or anyone) -- I'm completely overwhelmed by the huge amounts of weapons and armor available already. I just hit 4* -- is there a particular armor or hammer line I should be angling for? I've just been picking the one with the highest damage/defense numbers but now that elements are involved I have no idea what I should be farming up for. I also have no idea what skills I'm supposed to be looking for or if they matter this early.

Don't worry about it too much yet. If you're finishing quests in a time you're happy with then keep trucking on. Once you get to near the end of High Rank is when you'll probably start "having" to pay attention to stuff like that and then in any future content as well maybe.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
How does the lottery work? The guy says every purchase during a sale comes with a complimentary ticket and the tutorial popup says that as well but I've never gotten one and have just been buying one for 500 zenni everytime and using my two amiibo for the free rolls each day. Is it just a chance at a ticket and confusingly presented and I've just gotten unlucky or just plain wrong?

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
You get an award for beating every mission in the game supposedly but I’m not sure what awards do aside from show up in your guild card.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I just got two almudron plates in high rank on my second hunt. I suspect when it comes time to get a plate from another monster I will have very bad luck to make up for this.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
What's a good all rounder lbg to build to like, learn how it works at the end of high rank (so, assuming I have access to a lot of mats or the ability to get them) that has access to a lot of decent ammo types and stuff? I'm just looking at them and getting a bit confused tbh.

Also, does the rajang hammer hair still glow when you charge it? This is vital information.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
So just to be sure, the last new monster to fight currently is Narwa right? I was expecting an abrupt non "ending" from the reviews but that was especially abrupt as were most of the big plot moments which isn't a huge deal in MH but is still odd. Feels really weird having a big question mark to the right of the weapon trees still. I was really surprised you don't get to wyvern ride Narwa into the dragonator or some other monster shredding machine either, that felt like a thing that was definitely going to happen given it's one of the big new mechanics, disregard if you can and I just never got it to happen.

Overall I really enjoyed what's there and some of the later HR fights are insanely incredible, I've certainly gotten my moneys worth several times over but right now it's missing some of that secret sauce that World had that kept me going for a long time. Curious what the first couple patches will look like, the April one says it's adding "multiple monsters" and they've shown Chameleos and an Apex variant I'm forgetting right now but I'm hoping for a surprise couple of others that feel like pretty obvious omissions right now.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
loving Magnamalo finally dropped one of his stupid orbs after 10 kills so I could make the hammer, I wanted a decent one and that seemed alright. I like making stuff explode. Now I have so many other Magnamalo bits that are basically useless without another orb though cause I assume all of the other weapons also need one and one bit of the armour does as well.

I used the killing attempts as a chance to practice switch axe since I've never used one before. I did alright I think, never died but the fights took awhile, I felt like I never got the chance to properly use the sword. Obviously need to just practice in the training room a bit more or maybe against a slightly less mobile monster.

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Apr 4, 2021

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
In world you got the follow up arena hunt which was a decent way to get a quick double dip on the materials cause it had all those traps that let you kill the monster way quicker as well.

In rise I’ve definitely just been killing the monster more often just cause it seems there’s a few parts where those extra chances at least give you a few more shots at the orbs/gems.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

The Postman posted:

I'm nervous about playing online until I'm confident I won't ruin a hunt for others. Sounds like I need to try a hunt with randos to boost my confidence...

Honestly if you’re the sort of person who is worrying about that then you probably aren’t going to ruin hunts. Just jump in and maybe play a little more conservatively than you otherwise would.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
In a hunt the other day, a rando carted and then somebody else carted and the first guy to cart had a custom message for when someone else carted that was like “go back to playing dauntless you scrub” or something to that effect.

Cracked me up because they’d been the first one to eat poo poo.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

stev posted:

I'm against the idea that a well done steak is better than a rare steak on principle. Correct this mess Capcom.

Maybe well done just means they've done it well as in, they executed it perfectly.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Perry Mason Jar posted:

When I switch off to a different weapon will I need to go down to LR to get low tier weapon mats? Cause that sounds pretty bad

You'll probably have a lot of the mats already and it's a good opportunity to practice with the new weapon getting the last one bit or whatever. Or you can use the HR weapon/armour and absolutely smash the lr monster in a much shorter time.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

v1ld posted:

Buddies don't seem to wake up sleeping animals, so probably won't wake up monsters too, but dunno. Watched my palico and palamute go wild on a sleeping rhenoplos, it didn't wake up until I hit it.

I've definitely had them wake up enemies but it's pretty rare. Seems like it's some quirk like they were queuing up some specific, big attack as the monster hits the floor and it just coincides. It's never the end of the world but can be a bit annoying if I'm using a weapon that does the big hits.

Are any of the the Narwa/Ibushi weapons particularly of note? The armour seems a bit crap and I have a lot of the parts so was wondering. I find it hard to really identify what makes a particular weapon better than another given weapon with similar numbers and the same element.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Feels like they drastically lowered the amount of materials the weapons take so it's way easier to jump around and try out a bunch of stuff. I've got current top tier stuff for nearly all the weapon types, multiples for some and it's pretty fun being able to just try poo poo out.

Looking forward to seeing what chameleos weapons/armour looks like. Guess we'll probably get news on that very soon if it's still on schedule to come out late April.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Just failed a mission for the first time in Rise because I got shitwrecked by a magnamalo after handily killing him without dying at all many times. I feel bad because everyone else basically wasted their time but I got a magnamalo orb drop so worked out pretty well for me.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Yeah if I could make a second character who had access to all my gear I could see doing that just to have a dude character so some of the stupider looking armour looked better than it does on my main but having to grind out all that stuff again is supremely unappealing.

If you want to practice with a new weapon a Diablos or whatever will still feel pretty threatening even in upgraded armour and with the best weapons. I usually just go and fight whichever monsters will drop mats I still need to practice a new weapon.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Oldstench posted:

Just got done with that bizarre Witcher crossover in MHW. Is this something that I can expect more of? Are Jill Valentine and Nemesis going to show up next?

Don’t be ridiculous....

It was Claire, Leon and a dlc costume for the handler to make her into Mr X.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

CodfishCartographer posted:

-New skills and rampage skills will be available.

Wonder if this just means new ramp-up skills, which would still be neat, or maybe even... New switch skills?

Skills on the new elder dragon armour sets presumably right?

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
It would make sense for that monster to be in if he is, there's a message during the main story that "monsters may now invade your hunts" which then never happens and then in that list of stuff in the presentation today it says "new monsters will start intruding on some quests" which could just mean the non target monsters get mixed up more than they currently are or it could be our good bombing run friend.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Blimey, got two teostra gems on my first kill, one from the first carve and the other from my cat friend doing some naughty plundering, feels pretty lucky. The weapons don't even need them, just the armour right? Unless one of the decos does.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Improbable Lobster posted:

How does layered armour work in Rise? Ia it just the cosmetic/DLC pieces or can I turn regular armour into layered?

You have to craft it separately with outfit vouchers and sometimes for the fancier armour a piece from the monster or whatever, usually 1 of the more common drops. It's pretty painless to get, the vouchers come from all the high end fights they added in this last patch and I'd guess the last boss of the base game as well (not bothered doing it since the patch came out but I would assume so).

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Add some stomach spikes he can shoot out and he'd be a good Kraid for a Metroid event battle.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I feel like I have played a shitload of this game and I’m only HR 60 something I think, gonna take ages to get up to 100 so that’s a bit of a bummer.

I guess it’s cause there was no banking of the xp between launch and 2.0 so I feel like I played a load of it and I have but it didn’t contribute to my hunter rank.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
So I'm extremely going to buy Sunbreak so maybe the answer to the question I'm about to ask is "they don't need to" but does anyone else feel like they've not done an amazing job of selling Sunbreak just yet? The new moves and the swapping system seem cool although it's been long enough since I played Rise that I'll probably need to have a bit of a practice and get my monster hunter legs back. The new monsters they've shown also look well designed and will probably be fun to fight so I'm not sure what's provoking this feeling really, just wondering if anyone else is I suppose.

I think I was more hyped about Iceborne at this point before release despite the fact I kinda got distracted from starting a new job and didn't even realise it had actually come out for a week or so.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Yeah alright that's shut me the gently caress up, I forgot there was a Capcom show tonight to be fair.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
You can probably just go into free roam in the new rank and harvest some minerals and bones to make a basic master rank set no? That's what I recall doing in Iceborne at least when I got hosed up by the goat monster.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Do the support surveys give you anything special for doing them? I did a few follower quests and got designs for some pretty sweet looking weapons but the support survey didn't give me anything like that (it might have got me the special voucher to make those weapons actually but I can't remember). Just curious if there's anything special about them or if they're just an avenue to do some hunting with the followers.

Really enjoying this expansion, getting near the end now I think (the real last boss is being built up after I fought Malzeno and I've just now got some Elder dragons as key quests), most of the new monsters have been pretty cool so far although Lunagaron is a bit of a wimp, in the urgent quest intro for him I got an absolutely tiny one so it was even sadder. I think they could have done a better job doling out some more new monsters earlier, takes awhile before you start getting them but the ones you do fight have been extremely fun fights and their gear looks pretty cool as well.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Is there a list of the old event quests with the non special rewards? Cause the way I remember it, there were the ones that had special new stuff like vouchers for new layered armour or stickers or whatever, then there were usually others that dropped loads of armour balls or outfit vouchers for general layered armour, all the lists I can find just list the former, I guess cause the latter stuff is only notable if you're lacking in said materials which guide writers might not be.

Also do the higher level afflicted quests drop more of the MR outfit vouchers or are they a 1 of? Only just got started on the afflicted monster stuff the other day and I've been doing other stuff mainly so only did the one hunt and got one voucher, then saw all the high tier layered armour sets need 15 tickets total. That's a lot of grinding.

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Jul 6, 2022

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Oxyclean posted:

for me swap well done steaks with nulberries. Never feel like I'm feeling the effect of my stamina max dropping, or I just eat some of the free rations.

I feel like i've needed nulberries less then I did in world, but they're still pretty handy against thunderblight.

I'm not happy about bleed returning. What a miserable, annoying, status. What clears it this time around?

Well done steaks ironically I think? Any of the cooked fish as well, I just crouch for like a second and it’s gone, pretty minor in the grand scheme of things. Feels weird they brought it back but only 2 mons inflict it, was surprised lunagaron doesn’t when he gets up on his hind legs.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Pyromancer posted:

They seem to have tweaked it, so story quests and follower quest always have big ones, or if you hunt two of something then they'll be big and tiny.

Not always though, the first time I thought Lunagaron in the story, he was tiny, I think I got the silver crown for him. Definitely contributed to him feeling pretty weak

Oxyclean posted:

Ugh, there's separate outfit vouchers?

I've been slow rolling my way through Sunbreak cause I'm waiting on some friends. Bummed I can't be making layered stuff before the endgame.

Yeah and they are slow to accrue as well, you need 15 of them to make a full outfit of the later MR armour sets.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Oof, just failed a quest for the second time playing Sunbreak, beat most of the fights through the main story without dying too much and then just went and tried to do one of the follower quests against a basic MR Zinogre and carted 3 times. Trying out a new weapon but not one I'm completely unfamiliar with, just couldn't get in the zone. He really can bust out some suprising damage.

Apparently they've nerfed the health of the 1 and 2nd rank Anomaly quest monsters which is a good change imo. .

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I feel like I got pretty lucky with a partbreaker level 2, speed sharpening level 2 charm with a 3 slot and a 1 slot. Every other one I make has some skills that'd be slightly alright for other builds but with worse slots or vice versa (sometimes zero slots).

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Harrow posted:

Out of curiosity, will I be able to get the mats to make things like Attack Boost, Crit Eye, Weakness Exploit, etc. decos from doing MR quests, or will those require dipping back into HR for the mats? I don't really mind either way but I'm curious.

Kinda, there are 4 slot gems that have multiple points in a skill that use new MR mats but the old ones need stuff from the old HR monsters like the Elders and such so if you want the 2 slot ones to fit in those slots then yeah you will need to go and kill the old HR stuff. Luckily they've added loads of event quests that give extra gems or random poo poo so you can find one that also features the monster you want to kill and get two birds with one stone. You'll do them very quickly with MR gear as well of course.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Judge Tesla posted:

What the gently caress are they feeding these afflicted monsters, why did it take nearly 15 minutes to drop a Great Izuchi, I can beat Gore Magala in less time than that.

They're designed for multiplayer it seems, their health scales up I assume but the multiplier for breaking the infected spots seems to do way more damage to make up for it and having 4 people whaling on the spots simultaneously makes the big breaks which down the monster and turns them normal for a bit much easier. Do have to factor in people carting of course, just had somebody cart 3 times to an afflicted Garangolm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
The ice monsters feel like they definitely got the short shrift in Rise don't they? Barioth is still his ol reliable self but less rough because the hunters mobility is way up imo, Goss Harag is an absolute pushover at the point he gets intro'd in HR and his MR/Anomaly versions are just as easy compared to the other monsters at their tier (seriously he was the easiest anomaly hunt I've had so far). Aurora Somnacanth is a perfectly enjoyable basic Monster Hunter fight but nothing memorable really and Lunagaron is as much of a pushover as Goss Harag but they try and big him up a lot in the story and the fact that he's one of the "3 lords!", feels like when he gets up on his hind legs he should be venting big ice beams out and making you bleed with the big claws.