Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you hitting monsters with?
Bow
Charge Blade
Dual Blades
Great Sword
Gunlance
Hammer
Heavy Bowgun
Hunting Horn
Insect Glaive
Lance
Light Bowgun
Longsword
Switch Axe
Sword and Shield
View Results

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Andrast posted:

why would anyone ever use charged shelling over the blast dash

blast dash owns

i sometimes use blast dash into slam even at short range, instead of the normal upswing->slam. going from the monster's tail to head in moments and doing a mid-air uturn slam + full burst gives me the good feelings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Your Computer posted:

if i remember right the later license quests won't show up until you complete the earlier ones so you do need to do all of them in order
ok cool, no reason not to do em along the way then

Snake Maze posted:

Charged shelling lets you follow up with a fast wyrmstake. Wide shelling can actually be really fun, you do lots of damage with charged shells and get a unique wyrmstake that does ko damage so you can get knockouts on top of everything else. I understand and endorse the love of blast dash but gunlance can actually be played in a bunch of different ways in Rise, I recommend giving it a shot sometime.

can GL do any appreciable status/elemental damage yet (feels like a "no" as is)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

speaking of GL a question about part damage I think I asked once but forgot

for tails I know you need slashing damage (or whatever weird damage type lance is) to get the cut, but do impact or explosive damage still reduce its health? in other words, could you in theory tenderize a tail with 100 hammer strikes then slice it off with one quick slicing attack?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Alxprit posted:

Oh yeah I can't stress this enough, TURN OFF AUTO SHEATHE! No idea why it's on by default!

i'm never going to understand why they thought adding this "option" was a good idea

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Ye this game is definitely way better than world. Some goons were right, as I got further in more and more players were using cats insteads of dogs and fights are easier to follow. It took a while to grow on me but the wirebugs slap. There's this gap-closer wirebug move for gunlance that fills the proverbial gap in its moveset perfectly and I've never been more enamoured. It's got guardpoint, charges your shells up and you can follow up with a slam which can be pointed in any direction. I literally could not have asked for more. I haven't even got blast dash yet.

I was missing the growing tree from world at first, but I realized the argosy is a direct replacement for it, and the meowcenaries using your buddies is a great touch.

Basically it's world with all the little criticisms addressed

you get blast dash from crafting / upgrading to 8 different GLs, fyi

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

rise is 1/10 anyway for no meowscular chef

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Need y'all to sell me on hammer. Why would I use it when hunting horn exists

Been fighting that question since World

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Wellwinds posted:

You can use impact crater to slam rathalos out of the air on demand

the other posts were on the edge of being convincing but this one's shoved me right over the line

time to unga bunga

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

moosecow333 posted:

There’s always that amazing moment where you finally fully understand a monster as a hammer user and you change from reacting to their moves to setting yourself up in the perfect spot to slam their head.

i think reaching that point would be my prompt to switch to GS, personally

and i'll be honest I'm stoned probably 90% of the time i play any monster hunter, so that degree of anticipation usually eludes me :v: except for Rathian. She just keeps not changing, bless her

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

guess who just unlocked blast dash :circlefap:

can even choose when to stop/land by doing a slam followup

poo poo owns bones

not just when, but where, too. you have magic instant 360 aim on the slam before you touchdown (maybe after, too?) so you can zoom right past a frontal swipe, turn, and whack/burst/spike the tail. blast dash fuckin' rules

it's weirdly irritating having Artillery being the sole external source of shelling scaling, though - i wonder if G-rank (is it Master rank now??) will change that

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jan 16, 2022

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Your Computer posted:

and then it's just a matter of fighting the apex with the counter signal.
also tactical thermonuclear artillery, can't forget that

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Games > Monster Hunter Megathread: TURN OFF AUTO-SHEATHE IN THE OPTIONS imo. its so stupid that thats even an option, defaulting to On is rank madness

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

chumbler posted:

Something I somehow missed despite at least a hundred hours on switch is that while riding a monster you can combo light attacks into heavy attacks, and some like arzuros's swipes you can repeat the input for multiple hits.

also you can hold back on the stick to do different moves. basarios back+circle is the fuckoff laser beam for example

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

i would also suggest giving charge blade a pass initially - it's a great weapon but it's also the fiddliest fucker of them all and trying to learn that while picking up hunting basics would, i imagine, kinda suck

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

For the newcomers: Once you’re in HR (and need money), just keep an eye on your Lava Cavern expedition. You can check the current upsurge by pressing R or L, I think. If it’s mineral ores, grab a set with Geologists (leather armor has it or you can craft decos) and follow a route similar to this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQfdFSsQJWk

(This was is even more maximized but has some tricky wirebugging

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DR847PQdZTQ

You basically run loops looting ore deposits until you hit the caps or the upsurge runs out (it changes every 10 minutes)

Go back to town, sell all the minerals for a poo poo load of money. Gaijin’s video goes into detail of the whole process including which armor pieces you can grab for the necessary skill.

there's a similar video for flooded forest mining upsurges, but it also takes some good wirebug tech

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lR8uOW7x1QE

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jan 18, 2022

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Impermanent posted:

Lmao dude it takes 10 minutes and gets you more money than you'd get in several dozen hunts

it's Knuc U Kinte, do not engage

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

MMF Freeway posted:

Monster hunter language is essential for this imo. Makes all those barks fade into the background

Japanese, too (if, like me, you don't understand it :v:) - bonus points for being aesthetic appropriate

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

been playing switch axe the past 2 days so, yeah, real familiar with that

chumbler posted:

Would've been perfect if you wirebugged into the second fireball.
even better if they got stunned & the burn took their health to 0 before they could heal

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

my magic power is dodging or jumping directly into the path of an attack i was already safe from

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

BMan posted:

rise has turf wars?

i saw magnamalo & bazelgeuse duke it out yesterday and it was loving amazing

magna won, but it was a pyrrhic win even before four idiots in mismatched clothes started beating it up to make galoshes out of its kidneys

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jan 19, 2022

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

shut it, idiot
https://i.imgur.com/MZWVoFe.mp4

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Agent355 posted:

Somebody give me words about how to best do gunlance in Rise.

I've played it like 40 hunts so I get the basic move set, but what I don't really know is if I should be doing long/wide/normal stuff most of the time. I'm working my way through HR so I probably don't have access to a proper armor set yet, fwiw, but I'll get there soon-ish.

if you haven't already, build eight different Gunlances (upgrades do count) and talk to the guy in the hub to unlock the Blast Dash switch skill, which replaces charged shelling (which has its uses, but dash is at least like eleven times as good)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Hellioning posted:

Basarios' deal is that you come in with a weapon that doesn't care about bouncing and don't bother dealing with the gimmick.

But yes that is generally how it works.

reason swaxe is best weapon #328

FelicityGS posted:

Flinch free is a 1 slot deco now, not three, so it's not hard at all to slot in over trying to get a random roll on a charm. There's not a ton of 1 slot skills that hurt to give up for the comfort in multiplayer.
i thought from HR 5 to... 7, 8? you can get a flinch free talisman but can't create the deco yet, right

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

The secret is to post about it on the internet, which resets the desire sensor.

failing that there's always propitiating the dread god Arengee

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Andrast posted:

Narga is a chump! I just want him to drop a goddamn medulla

i got like four of the drat things over three hunts which of course makes perfect sense biologically

now, anjanath gems :tizzy:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jan 21, 2022

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

what's this loving volvidon hate last page, he's a good boy

less so than dodogama because he's actually a vague threat (if only by sheer irritation), but still

(e) then again i may be biased because switch axe with RM3 and some evade extender can follow all his bouncy ball bullshit without trouble, so

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Agent355 posted:

Are there any weapons that are actually good vs barioth? I swear that dumb walrus fucks me up worse than any other monster in the game. He, ironically, has no chill and won't just let me hit him.

I feel like every weapon I play has problems with him specifically.
as usual switch axe with evade extender has seen me right. i don't think i'm going to be able to play without mind's eye after a while :v:

on barioth specifically though I like to open with a trap, maybe two, and just go apeshit on one wing to get it broke ASAP so his dashing about is slower

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Sab669 posted:

How do you Unequip your cosmetic gear? I equipped the Guild Set just to see what it looks like but now I can't seem to take it off :saddowns:

item box, Manage Equipment, something Layered Armor

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

YoshiOfYellow posted:

The ability to hop on your dog for high mobility to get the hell away from a pissed off monster while you sharpen or heal is incredibly useful too. That level of extra speed has saved my rear end so many times.

i'm sorta tempted to switch my 2nd buddy for solo hunts back to a palamute for exactly this reason

i figure in MP the other players and their buds are more than sufficient distraction for me to bail if i have to, and so far that's worked

2 gathering palicos has got me a lot of extra guts n stuff though

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

lol ye, here's one of my old videos of this https://twitter.com/i/status/961711309107662848

why go to all that effort when just winging it around like a demented nutjob will do the trick?

this right here is why wirefall should never go away

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

i mean, duh *taps thread title*

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Sab669 posted:

Yea, so that way you speed up the process and die in only 5 seconds instead of 20

yeah that tweeted clip was positively agonizing to watch

"let me die on my own terms you bit-" *is chicken-runned again*

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

wedgie deliverer posted:

Can someone explain what Hunter Connect is?

tags you can search for/create lobbies with, except you have to be invited to the tag to use it for either purpose

if that sounds kinda doofy it's because it is

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Does it seem likely those’ll be fixed in an update?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

kazil posted:

Holy poo poo, this.

Even if the group is really good, or the monster is near death, or anything: trap trap trap trap

i'm at about a 90% success rate for saying something like "ok if we kill it? need carves" in chat during the hunt, for whatever that's worth

(on one they ignored me; on another other the mon was capped before it even left its initial zone, so clearly It Was Not Meant To Be)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Tae posted:

So like do I have to hate myself to be a true mh fan. Cause I still die all the time with these overpowered tools

i think that's the case, yeah