Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

victorious posted:

In the 6.5 years I've been playing this game there have been many, many decks that have felt unfair to play against. Lunacy Mage is I think the first one I've encountered that straight up feels like the opponent is cheating. I'd definitely be playing it if I had the card.

Yeah, I was watching Kibler streaming at legend and half his opponents were DoL mage and it just looked completely unfun to play against; it wasn't just overwhelmingly powerful but also completely unfun to go up against because there was basically nothing the other player could do. I was actually surprised to see comments in here saying they weren't sure it needed to be nerfed, because it seemed worse even than secret paladin (which was both less common and a deck you can at least try to play around).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Kibler said on Twitter that he had like an 80% win rate against Secret Paladin, and wondered if people are just pretty bad at not playing into Paladin secrets atm.

I have noticed that at least right now, people are triggering Galloping and seem to have zero plans for the new 3/4

enki42 posted:

Definitely I feel like no one is really thinking about counterplay right now. There's zero weapon removal out there, despite weapons being pretty core to the gameplans of Warrior, Rogue and Paladin (not that Warrior is really in the meta much, but still), and people do all sorts of dumb stuff against paladin secrets, like taking out 1-1s when there's another minion on board and a secret up (triggering Avenge), or dumping all their mana and not testing for Oh my Yogg at all, even when they're not really in a desperate position, or like I mentioned earlier, leaving Silver Hand Recruits up when they could be pinged down with a hero power.

Sounds to me like maybe everyone's playing DoL mage, which secret paladin does very well against, giving the impression that Secret Paladin needs a nerf while DoL mage isn't as big of an issue, even though for most other decks DoL is a disastrous matchup while Secret Paladin isn't that bad if you're good at playing around the secrets.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Note to Warlock players: if you are finishing your quest via Raise Dead, make sure there's room in your hand to add the 7/7 to it.
Or actually better yet, don't. Just don't.

This also applies to mage players finishing their quest with Evocation. It was very amusing.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Handbuff Paladin is actually doing very, very well according to HSReplay which is kind of surprising. But I guess maybe it shouldn't be? Like after all, Battlegrounds sure have taught us you can't go wrong with a fuckload of stats behind a Divine Shield.

Kibler was playing it and went 7-0 against mage. It seemed to work pretty well; a good draw could ramp up damage pretty fast and since the mages are all damage based removal it's hard for them to deal with lots of divine shields. So its win rate is probably being inflated by the mage heavy ladder right now.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

RatHat posted:

Yeah I don’t know how they’re going to fix this meta since the problem is based on a bunch of cards snowballing together.

All heroes get 60 health instead of 30. Also HoF Auctioneer.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

orangelex44 posted:

Everyone’s bitching about quests and I sit here with an 80% win rate over 30 games of Handbuff Pally.

It's not that hard to come up with a deck that can beat the quest/OTK decks, but it does become a game of basically "my deck wins in 5 turns in a vacuum and your deck wins in 6 turns in a vacuum, so we both play until I win because there's nothing I can do to interact with you." Which is why people are referring to it as playing competing games of solitaire. It's not as bad as, say, an unbeatable deck dominating the meta, but it's unlikely many people will find it very fun for long.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Aug 5, 2021

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Lutha Mahtin posted:

I always wondered if Incanter's Flow would get nerfed. It is an incredibly valuable card at 2 mana.

I've been persuaded by Kibler that the problem isn't flow, it's the ridiculous amounts of draw spell mage has (AI, cram session, and refreshing spring water, plus sometimes auctioneer/discovers/tradeable). He pointed out that if Flow was a shaman card spell shaman wouldn't even play it, and I think he's right.

So I was kind of disappointed it's the only part of mage getting nerfed, but I guess they felt it was easier to nerf a sane card that enables combos than rebalance the overall cards that enable spell mage to be so monstrous.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Firebert posted:

Spell that makes your spells cost less is much better in a class that is “good spells the class” than in shaman which historically has lovely spells, another galaxy brained Kibler take lol

If AI, Cram session, and Refreshing spring water weren't all cards, then spell mage wouldn't play incanter's flow either. In fact it was considered a horrible card until at the very least Cram session was added, as I recall, and I still don't recall seeing it much until spring water was added too. Incanter's flow is an entirely reasonable card that only becomes an issue when a fifth of the entire deck is spells that draw spells, at which point of course reducing the cost of spells becomes bonkers. So it's a shame Flow caught the nerf when the real issue is all the draw.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

AnacondaHL posted:

I would argue bans are actually quite effective, as tournament play has featured bans in a very healthy way for quite some time now.

Your example is unfair because it stops too early. Two additional things happen: Less Mage players queue up until a different equilibrium is reached, and the counter-queuers also have to play vs every other deck, which also leads to a different equilibrium of desire to continue this strategy.

Both of these outcomes are healthy and self-regulating. It is a natural buffer system, designed to absorb a range of natural imbalances in the game and keep it playable.

Only an extremely imbalanced situation would lead to a breakdown of the system, such as three Tier S deck existing in rock-paper-scissors and extinguishing every other deck.

You could also potentially come up with a non-meta mage deck designed to beat decks designed to counter meta-mage decks, and queue up with that.

Basically it sounds like this would greatly discourage playing the most popular netdecks since people could try to manipulate the system to face specific classes, and that actually sounds like it could be pretty cool to me.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Aug 20, 2021

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

It still doesn't keep you from filling up your res pool with colossal parts, I assume.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Doji Sekushi posted:

I think I like it.

How does dormant work if it triggers on your opponent's turn? Does it activate at the start of your next turn, or the start of their next turn? Because the first is potentially really nice since it lets you ensure the opponent can't wipe out a minion with a powerful ongoing effect.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

GTO posted:

So played on an empty board without any targeted removal or board clear gets you three 2/2 taunts and then a 9/11, for 7 mana. Is that how these work? Seems quite good value...

It has the advantage of not being completely taken out be targeted removal, either. 7 mana for three 2/2 taunts and making your opponent use their removal isn't horrible. So basically only a board clear can really counter it. I can see it being a popular card if it fits into any decks.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Do they still do the reveal streams where they have a popular streamer play a few games? Or the day for streamers to play with the new cards? Though I guess the rotating core set might complicate that.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Firebert posted:

April 7th is the theorycrafting stream day where they have people build decks and play with the new cards, this year they are even doing Wild streams as well

April 5th is when the last ~50 cards are getting dumped and the core set is revealed; not clear if there is going to be a livestream or pre-recorded video

Thanks. I'm interested enough in the new set and rotation that I didn't want to miss those.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Blasmeister posted:

First one combos poorly with From the Depths though and competes for a slot with Onxyian Drake. I’d not expect it to see play. 2nd seems like not impactful enough for 8 mana for constructed. you really need a lot at that level to break into a deck ala troublemaker. 3rd is a meme

The first only combos poorly if you assume "Dredge. The card costs 3 less and you gain 3 less armor than its original cost" is worse than than "Dredge. You gain armor equal to its cost" which I'm not sure is true. More ways to get the cheaper cards in your hand seems like a good combo, not a bad one.

Agreed on the other two.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 20:06 on May 28, 2022

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

You would think that after it turned out to be a horrible idea every single previous time they did it, they would learn to stop printing cards like that.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

If half the posters hate the expansion and half think it's the best thing ever, does that average out to so-so?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Strawberry Panda posted:

Lol snowfall guardian nerfed to non-existence.

A 6 mana 5/5 with a built in frost nova isn't horrible, it's just... average-ish. It's just it's currently so ridiculous that it's basically supporting several decks that wouldn't otherwise exist on its own. edit: I have no idea why I was misremembering Frost Nova to hit all minions.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Aug 12, 2022