Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
There's a MotoE race now too? Interesting.

e: esnipe

busalover fucked around with this message at 11:34 on May 1, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gregbest90
Sep 12, 2017

busalover posted:

There's a MotoE race now too? Interesting.

Race 1 yesterday ended in a suitably spicy manner....

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Bomb-omb Texting posted:

Have any of you been to watch the races in person? What was your experience and would you recommend going? I myself would have the opportunity to go and watch the Kymiring GP but I'm not sure if it's worth the tickets and drive.
Me and a couple of friends went to see the San Marino race in 2014 and it was great.

I want to go see another race this year, maybe in Finland as it's a short trip.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

gregbest90 posted:

Race 1 yesterday ended in a suitably spicy manner....

I'm guessing they all ran out of power? hehe

gregbest90
Sep 12, 2017

busalover posted:

I'm guessing they all ran out of power? hehe

Think more "collisions toward end of raceand epic long shots of violent fist shaking"...

Ogura absolutely stellar today, Taka had better find a ride elsewhere because he's so done...

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Bomb-omb Texting posted:

Have any of you been to watch the races in person? What was your experience and would you recommend going? I myself would have the opportunity to go and watch the Kymiring GP but I'm not sure if it's worth the tickets and drive.

I've been to Assen a bunch of times and Jerez once, I think its well worth going to a GP even if its just once. Assen is great and efficiently run in terms of transport to the circuit and facilities when you're there, Jerez is a bit more chaotic and harder to get to and from.
This is the first year in the Kymiring so its an unknown in terms of fan experience, but i'm hoping to go there next year if it looks good this season, assuming the russians dont start special military operating in Finland in the interim.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
fun battle for third

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

gregbest90 posted:

Think more "collisions toward end of raceand epic long shots of violent fist shaking"...

Ogura absolutely stellar today, Taka had better find a ride elsewhere because he's so done...

I wish taka, pol, jack and rins luck with their future endeavours

And Alex if there was any goddamn justice on this earth

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005

Bomb-omb Texting posted:

Ive been to Sepang a couple of times, great experience. I mean you dont get any appreciation from TV just how loud and fast the bikes are but apart from that the whole experience of being in a stadium with like 100,000 motoGP fans cant be matched

Slavvy posted:

I wish taka, pol, jack and rins luck with their future endeavours

And Alex if there was any goddamn justice on this earth

You missed Frankie, if Lin Jarvis' comments yesterday were anything to go by

I mean if 1 guy does good on a Yamaha and the rest consistently do poo poo, it couldnt possibly be the bike

ROFLBOT fucked around with this message at 04:40 on May 2, 2022

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Been getting really into GP over the past few months, quickly shot up to my favorite sport to follow. Hit up COTA this year with some buds and we were glued to our seats in turn 12, made lifelong fans out of all of us. Going to perma have this tab open for the forseeable future.

Quick question though coming from a moto/supercross background, is there a good reason Kawasaki isn't in this scene? Coming from a sport dominated by Yamaha/Honda/Kawi/Suzuki to one with all the major players minus them seems weird.

Edit: I appear to have spoken too soon about what mfgs are in motoGP. I'm guessing the answer to my Kawi question is "it doesn't sell bikes to have a MotoGP team"
https://www.motorsport.com/motogp/news/suzuki-set-to-quit-motogp-at-the-end-of-2022/10268146/

Nazzadan fucked around with this message at 18:19 on May 2, 2022

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

https://the-race.com/motogp/suzuki-to-exit-motogp-at-the-end-of-2022/

Suzuki supremacy

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Kawi is near top of the heap in WSBK and it took them a while to get there. I don't imagine they want to spend a bunch of $$$ trying to develop a motogp bike from scratch just to be near the rear end end.

Incredible save by Marq from that lowside.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Surprising to see Suzuki bow out. They've been doing well. Had heard zero rumors.

Bomb-omb Texting posted:

Did COTA back in 2019. Super fun scene. Looking forward to going again sometime.

IDK how things are in post COVID times, but when I did COTA, it was also a full on motorcycle trade show. Bike and gear manufacture had a big presence. Showing off new bikes, gear, prototype stuff, historical, etc. Even manufacturers that aren't directly in MotoGP. Like Indian was there with their, at the time, forthcoming FTR1200.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Nazzadan posted:

Been getting really into GP over the past few months, quickly shot up to my favorite sport to follow. Hit up COTA this year with some buds and we were glued to our seats in turn 12, made lifelong fans out of all of us. Going to perma have this tab open for the forseeable future.

Quick question though coming from a moto/supercross background, is there a good reason Kawasaki isn't in this scene? Coming from a sport dominated by Yamaha/Honda/Kawi/Suzuki to one with all the major players minus them seems weird.

Edit: I appear to have spoken too soon about what mfgs are in motoGP. I'm guessing the answer to my Kawi question is "it doesn't sell bikes to have a MotoGP team"
https://www.motorsport.com/motogp/news/suzuki-set-to-quit-motogp-at-the-end-of-2022/10268146/

Kawasaki choose to dominate wsbk for the same amount of money that would trap them forever downfield in GP.

IMO they lack the chassis nous to achieve anything even if budget wasn't an issue.

What the fuuuuck is someone in Japan is having a seizure? Jfc

gregbest90
Sep 12, 2017

I'm genuinely baffled...

Mir will land fine but I'm not so sure about Rins, if a 2nd Aprilia team props up or something, do they have a punt?

What is interesting is that Michael Laverty was saying the week before last that he's incredibly keen to have the VisionTrack team run all the way up to GP; he would be keen as soon as a spot opens up. Wonder if he's crazy and/or backed enough to throw hat in ring?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah it's baffling because it's not Suzuki of the last 20 years who just tour around mid pack for the sake of being there, it's a Suzuki team that's actually competitive and won the world title. Quitting now seems bizarre.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Yeah, seems crazy. But, judging by stagnant their product line is, I'd say the company doesn't seem to care about motorcycles. They're the Nissan of motorcycles.

That and I think we're headed into a global recession.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
:negative: and just as they were having the best couple seasons in recent memory. Oh well.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
My assumption has always been that Suzuki has just left their range to wither to avoid having to develop modern emissions equipment (I think a lot of their models were grandfathered) so maybe they've decided now is the time to do that and this is where the cash is gonna come from 🤷🏼‍♂️

I do wonder if they genuinely don't care about motorcycles what they actually do care about, cause they completely scrapped the US car market after the financial crisis. I don't think they're gonna survive the transition to EVs just on selling cars in the Asian and European market.

Also if Aprilia had any sense they'd be ringing up Mir and then failing that Rins to replace Binales

Tony quidprano fucked around with this message at 00:55 on May 4, 2022

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

They released an ~all new~ hayabusa, but i think everything else is on a 20+ year platform.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

italian quid posted:

My assumption has always been that Suzuki has just left their range to wither to avoid having to develop modern emissions equipment (I think a lot of their models were grandfathered) so maybe they've decided now is the time to do that and this is where the cash is gonna come from 🤷🏼‍♂️

I do wonder if they genuinely don't care about motorcycles what they actually do care about, cause they completely scrapped the US car market after the financial crisis. I don't think they're gonna survive the transition to EVs just on selling cars in the Asian and European market.

Also if Aprilia had any sense they'd be ringing up Mir and then failing that Rins to replace Binales

Mir is off to Honda. I'd take binales over rins any day, he's currently doing what Lorenzo did at Ducati and hopefully Aprilia aren't dumb enough to fire him right before he overtakes aleix. Rins crashes out of podium positions about as often as Miller and I'd want him on my team about as much.

Russian Bear posted:

They released an ~all new~ hayabusa, but i think everything else is on a 20+ year platform.

It's hard to tell what they're doing. It's bizarre that they'd make that decision so suddenly, unilaterally, in the middle of a season. Screams internal politics to me tbh; why would you sign a 5 year agreement with dorna, hire livio suppo, jostle for rider contracts etc if you're just going to pull the pin? I don't buy the financial crisis explanation, covid has been around for years and Ukraine won't affect bike sales that much I don't think.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
Binales is hosed in the head and no amount of adjustments to the bike are gonna fix that. I think the dude is both the most natural talented and stupidest racer I've ever seen outside of like one Venezuelan dude I kart raced with.

I really can't fathom what people see in the dude because he just consistently is nowhere and then once in like a dozen races things manage to go to the plan he has in his head for the weekend before FP1 and he doesn't completely loving meltdown. and on that basis people seem to think he deserves like 20 kilometres more of rope to hang himself with.

Tony quidprano fucked around with this message at 05:27 on May 4, 2022

dema
Aug 13, 2006

italian quid posted:

Binales is hosed in the head

I'd argue the opposite, that he's not hosed in the head enough.

I think he just has a sense of human mortality. Don't think he's willing to fully put life and limb on the line for fame and glory.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
initially I was going to agree with you because I can't recall the last high profile crash he had. but then I remembered it was that massive crash in Austria and it was because he ignored the advice of Brembo and chose brakes they told him not to use so I'm back to believing its down to him being a moron.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Yeah, not going to say he's smart. I just especially don't feel like he's willing to let it all hang out for the holeshot. And not willing to get roughed up in the first few laps.

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

Get hosed Fenati

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Still shocking to me that he was even allowed to race after that front brake incident.

dema fucked around with this message at 02:33 on May 7, 2022

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
not that I'm really going to dispute that Fenati doesn't deserve to be in Moto2 but did something else happen behind the scenes? the Speed Up bikes aren't exactly world beaters so it feels weird to cut him loose after a quarter of a season even if his teammate is doing comparatively better.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
lol reading more on The-Race.com, the Suzuki news came out right before Golden Week in Japan, which is a week-long national holiday, so of course no one at HQ can be reached for clarification.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

italian quid posted:

not that I'm really going to dispute that Fenati doesn't deserve to be in Moto2 but did something else happen behind the scenes? the Speed Up bikes aren't exactly world beaters so it feels weird to cut him loose after a quarter of a season even if his teammate is doing comparatively better.

I think it's the fact that aldegeur is like twelve years old and clowning on veterans with the same machine

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

GriszledMelkaba posted:

Get hosed Fenati

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Chris Knight posted:

lol reading more on The-Race.com, the Suzuki news came out right before Golden Week in Japan, which is a week-long national holiday, so of course no one at HQ can be reached for clarification.

Taking a page from the Italian handbook. "Sorry we're on vacation".

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Wonder how serious this is: https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Automobiles/Germany-Italy-raid-Suzuki-over-defeat-devices-in-diesel-engines

Might be playing a part in their decision to bail on MotoGP.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
Why? Do you think they're already factoring the amount of fines they'll have to pay?

SocksAndSandals
Jun 6, 2011

busalover posted:

Why? Do you think they're already factoring the amount of fines they'll have to pay?

Just for the sake of reference (diff market segment, diff size, etc.) VW has been eating a ton of fines globally since 2015..."Volkswagen has since paid well over $20 billion in fines and legal settlements related to its diesel emissions cheating." Link: https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/08/business/volkswagen-bmw-daimler-emissions-scandal.html

Dunno how widespread it was at Suzuku...but could stand to lose quite a chunk of $

E: ah it seems to effect italian-made diesel engines

https://www.reuters.com/business/autos-transportation/german-prosecutors-mount-raids-over-suzuki-cars-alleged-test-dodging-2022-04-27/

SocksAndSandals fucked around with this message at 00:08 on May 10, 2022

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Also the VW scandal torpedoed some Porsche and Audi racing plans as well. So it is not unprecedented.

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf
There's cheating going on and someone was pissed enough about it to leak the Michelin tire pressure data to the media. Can't say I blame them.

https://twitter.com/matoxley/status/1523954346022604800?t=PENOuIDzaodPm6K5xFj_IA&s=19

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
Ehh, if there's no penalty the only reason other teams aren't doing it is if there's no advantage for their bike to do so. Sounds like somebody (YAMAHA) are sore losers lol

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It is literally against the rules, the minimum pressures are set by Michelin, theoretically based on safety. It's a huge deal, especially as Michelin monitor pressures throughout so there's really no way to cheat without at least the tyre guy the team deals with being complicit.

E: looking into it further, it turns out michelin are powerless to enforce tyre pressures because the only way to censure a manufacturer for doing it is for the MSMA to vote on it. Which they won't, because they've collectively decided that flouting the rules won't be penalized, and the organiser has gone along with this because they're unprofessional as gently caress. Just a garbage situation all-round, we now have no way of knowing if quartararo could've actually caught bagnaia at the last race, because one of them had an underinflated front tyre while the other was playing by the rules and overheating his front every time he got behind another bike. To me as a fan this is far, far more damaging than suzuki leaving or marquez never getting penalised for anything, because it undermines the very basis of it being a sporting competition and calls into question basically all the results of the last couple of years.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 01:25 on May 11, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

F1 teams were trying and succeeding with loving around with this last year that led to newer stricter rules. No surprise to see it here.