Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Tony quidprano posted:

Being the sole tire supplier is a thankless task

Definitely. On the Paddock Pass podcast David Emmett (of Motomatters) talked about a tour Michelin gave some journalists of their MotoGP tire production process, basically all as proof they weren’t at fault for Jorge Martin’s tires problems at the end of last year. Their rear tires go through a pretty impressive-sounding process, while their front tires are made more like regular tires - from 2025 the new fronts will be made the same as the rears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
I listened to that interview, its tough to tell if Michelin is saying they make their front tire like a normal road tire (IE like Pirelli does for most of its racing series) along with all the drawbacks of that or if it is just a different process from the rear tire. My understanding from a few years back was that the issue with dud Michelin tires was mainly down to how they're stored and it wasn't a manufacturing issue. so while a tour of their manufacturing facilities sounds nice, unless they've just completely revamped their storage and logistics around the tires I don't think it really addresses the issue with the variation in their tire quality.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The issue with the duff rear tires afaict is around the fact that they can get cycled in and out of warmers several times, Michelin insists this is cool and good and fine and doesn't change them chemically at all

But on the other hand some riders never seem to have this problem

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

The tire issues would go away tomorrow if the bikes went back to not having shapeshifters and downforce aero. So, being bikes, not F1 cars.

I only saw the first session yesterday but Marquez up where expected is one thing, Acosta though? Holy poo poo. We might have a new alien on our hands.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

harperdc posted:

The tire issues would go away tomorrow if the bikes went back to not having shapeshifters and downforce aero. So, being bikes, not F1 cars.

This

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Was loving that late charge by Marc late on after getting a poo poo start. Can’t wait for tomorrow.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Marc looking real good. Never been a fan, but I'm 100% here for it. Love a good comeback story.

Also liking the back/speed hump camera that Bez was running in qualifying. Rad perspective.

Hopefully he's okay.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Diggia's crash was baffling, I didn't see any other replays of it

Marc is gonna eat these guys alive at some tracks I reckon, I've never seen him that happy in a debrief even when he was in the middle of winning championships

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

wtf is up with the mugshot pics they took for the grid positions? terrible. also terrible is the camera on the backs of some of the riders. how is that safe??

edit: also the fatass bmw suv as the safety car. awful

double edit: the breatheright strip on martin's helmet it genius lol. happy to see duc isnt 123 on the podium and it seems like the vr46 boys arent near anything atm, hopefully the other manufacturers have caught up a bit. my man zarco held tough at 11th then fell off HARD at the end. i wonder why.

good first sprint!

Arson Daily fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Mar 10, 2024

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Those mugshots are worse than last year, although I like how Marc's smiling one looks like Clarkson's winning face

Zarco dropped off a cliff cause that's what the Honda does

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

new prima pramac livery looks fuckin sick

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
reminder you can watch most of the races live with us in discord https://discord.gg/eyFUj3JBFu
prob a lot of wsbk too as i got a sub for that too

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
Exciting Moto3 race. the crashes seemed a bit more highsidy on the pirellis than the dunlops.

ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005
When a man lies he murders some part of the world. These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives. All this I cannot bear to witness any longer. Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?

Man seeing how bad the Yamaha's and Honda's are is just depressing. I want Quartararo to be on a bike that can at least compete cause that dude is nuts.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Great start by Trackhouse. Dale!

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
Them: "He's a one in a generational talent, he's scything his way through the field effortlessly"

Me: "He's just burning up his tires"

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Tony quidprano posted:

Them: "He's a one in a generational talent, he's scything his way through the field effortlessly"

This was pretty obvious to anyone who had watched for longer than a season.

That’s ok, provided some entertainment before Jack Millering away.

I think Mark has kept his cool from last year and isn’t putting every body part on the line to get one more spot, good for him.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
lol great start to the season by Acosta, now he just needs to learn to manage the tires. Moto3 was hilarious as always.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Chris Knight posted:

lol great start to the season by Acosta, now he just needs to learn to manage the tires. Moto3 was hilarious as always.

https://motorcyclesports.net/pedro-...w-up-somewhere/

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005

Tony quidprano posted:

Yeah it was funny how this was obvious to everyone except the commentators (except Crafar)

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

i just watched the moto3 race and was struck by something. It seems like the motogp boys all need to ride the same line but the moto3 riders can all choose different lines which leads to far more position changes. Is this a function of power and aerodynamics or what? idk that much about absolute racing so its interesting to me to see the huge difference between the premier class and the kids on bikes that are all much more similar in aero and power.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I usually don’t watch moto3 for time reasons, and also I’m dumb, but my take is they don’t need to lean as much which opens up the track more (“off line” has less grip because it isn’t rubbered in, may have dust and debris, etc). Less lean means less lateral acceleration and better suspension compliance, so the grip threshold is pushed way out. They are also accelerating and decelerating (longitudinally) way less which means they can spend more time (and grip) turning which again opens up more viable lines.

SocksAndSandals
Jun 6, 2011

Having only ridden heavy/light bikes on the street I figured:

big bikes = heavier, momentum carries more, have to have it pointed in the right direction all the way through a corner to maximize power delivered, body position/weight makes less of a balance impact
small bikes = light, momentum carries less, mid corner changes and adjustments can be made with higher confidence even with max power since body position/weight can make more of a balance impact

In other words, when I do a dumb thing on a small bike it's easier to recover. On a heavier bike its harder once it starts moving in a 'bad' direction

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
In Moto3 they also take different lines to try to shake off other riders following them into their wake and getting a slipstream tow.

There was a whole thing a couple years ago where the FIM had to stop riders from aggressively waggling their bikes back and forth on the finish straight to stop tailgating, as it was leading to crashes.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I'll add that the big bikes do, in fact, run drastically different lines from brand to brand, it's just hard to tell because they're going so much faster and aren't in big packs

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

motherfuckin, like, why would you start the season after months off then give everybody 2 weeks off in between? now what am I supposed to do this weekend? be productive?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Arson Daily posted:

motherfuckin, like, why would you start the season after months off then give everybody 2 weeks off in between? now what am I supposed to do this weekend? be productive?

They gotta fly the whole circus to Europe and some stuff needs to go from Valencia to Portugal I assume or where the euro base is. Week turn around is kinda tough from Middle East probably.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Slavvy posted:

I'll add that the big bikes do, in fact, run drastically different lines from brand to brand, it's just hard to tell because they're going so much faster and aren't in big packs

yeah I've heard this a bunch and to my untrained eye I cant tell the difference. I think you've said the ducati's are more start stop and the japanese bikes are more flowing but it all looks the same to me. It would be really interesting to see a comparison of all the different ideal lines that the manufacturers are going for

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

They are not going for lines necessarily. There are different design philosophies behind the bike, and the line the bike (and rider) takes is just getting the most out of it. The better the bike can put down the power, the most start-stop/V-shape/squared-off the lines will be, because you need to maximize that acceleration advantage to minimize laptime.

I stole this image from Life at Lean. The red line is the "geometric" line, which is in theory the straightest (or widest arc) and therefore shortest and fastest way through a corner. When you're on a bike with low power (and hopefully also low weight), keeping the minimum speed as high as possible is how you go fast. This is how your ZX-4RR is probably going to best perform.

The blue line is a squared off line. You brake longer, turn in later, and get to full throttle sooner. You are lengthening the straight. You also slow down to a lower minimum speed, because you are ultimately making a tighter turn -- bike that favor this line would have to slow down more anyway, even on the red line, but all else being equal, the blue line has a slower apex speed.The point is to lengthen the straight. This is how most liter bikes are going to be ridden. The bikes are usually designed with straight-line stability in mind, and you are using that stability to maximize the braking and acceleration performance.

In slow corners, Moto3 bikes have higher apex speeds than MotoGP bikes. In medium speed corners, I am not sure! Could probably go either way for many. In high speed corners the MotoGP bike is most likely faster. Moto2 is probably closer to MotoGP than Moto2 in most respects.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Arson Daily posted:

yeah I've heard this a bunch and to my untrained eye I cant tell the difference. I think you've said the ducati's are more start stop and the japanese bikes are more flowing but it all looks the same to me. It would be really interesting to see a comparison of all the different ideal lines that the manufacturers are going for

It's different enough that even when the Yamaha was fast on one lap a couple of years ago, quartararo was still totally hosed if he got caught in a pack, because all the Ducatis would be slow right where he needs to be fast and kill his mid corner speed before loving off down the straight. His bike couldn't (and still can't) accelerate as rapidly, but it could make up for this by accelerating from a higher mid corner speed. But he can't run that high mid corner speed when there's a Ducati shaped Snorlax blocking the way.

Toe Rag posted:

They are not going for lines necessarily. There are different design philosophies behind the bike, and the line the bike (and rider) takes is just getting the most out of it. The better the bike can put down the power, the most start-stop/V-shape/squared-off the lines will be, because you need to maximize that acceleration advantage to minimize laptime.

I stole this image from Life at Lean. The red line is the "geometric" line, which is in theory the straightest (or widest arc) and therefore shortest and fastest way through a corner. When you're on a bike with low power (and hopefully also low weight), keeping the minimum speed as high as possible is how you go fast. This is how your ZX-4RR is probably going to best perform.

The blue line is a squared off line. You brake longer, turn in later, and get to full throttle sooner. You are lengthening the straight. You also slow down to a lower minimum speed, because you are ultimately making a tighter turn -- bike that favor this line would have to slow down more anyway, even on the red line, but all else being equal, the blue line has a slower apex speed.The point is to lengthen the straight. This is how most liter bikes are going to be ridden. The bikes are usually designed with straight-line stability in mind, and you are using that stability to maximize the braking and acceleration performance.

In slow corners, Moto3 bikes have higher apex speeds than MotoGP bikes. In medium speed corners, I am not sure! Could probably go either way for many. In high speed corners the MotoGP bike is most likely faster. Moto2 is probably closer to MotoGP than Moto2 in most respects.

Moto 2 is now closer to gp because the bikes have effectively more power than they can put down using classically ideal lines like moto3 run. This wasn't the case with the Honda 600 based bikes, which led to a certain riding style being promoted above others eg smooth corner speed orientated riders like rins, zarco, Marquez the lesser etc.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Oh so we are going to 850cc apparently everyone knows this but me.

Hopefully they ban aero and squat devices too.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

algebra testes posted:

Well it worked the last time

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

algebra testes posted:

Hopefully they ban aero and squat devices too.

Squatters yes

Aero they'll try to restrict somehow, I'm not optimistic

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Marc looking gooood

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
I didn't look at the lap times in close but he's definitely in contention, I thought it would be at least till Austin for that to happen. Rad

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

lol bagman

Yay binales

Yess Marc

Jorge doesn’t have his sprint sparkle this year

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
Marc is going to win the championship and this year is going to own. It's the timeless story of Top Gun Maverick: The younger generation just can't cut it, they never could and they never will be able to. The old hand is going to absolutely school them and show them how its done.

Tony quidprano fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Mar 23, 2024

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
I laughed when the commentators said something like “Oh maybe Aprilia unlocked Maverick’s talent and now he’ll be winning regularly again.” Impressive ride from him though, especially considering he’s apparently been sick as hell, the commentators also said he had lost 2.5 kgs this weekend.

Glad to see Marc on the podium, here’s hoping he can get another good start tomorrow and stay near the front

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

I laughed when the commentators said something like “Oh maybe Aprilia unlocked Maverick’s talent and now he’ll be winning regularly again.” Impressive ride from him though, especially considering he’s apparently been sick as hell, the commentators also said he had lost 2.5 kgs this weekend.

Glad to see Marc on the podium, here’s hoping he can get another good start tomorrow and stay near the front

They have unlocked him coming in 8th tomorrow.