Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Ready for another year of Lewis Getting In There.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

nice little tribute from Williams on Latifi's halo to Murray Walker, the Damon Hill "I've got to stop now because I've got a lump in my throat" quote.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Payndz posted:

drat, I actually kinda miss the days of the comedy backmarker teams, that brief shining period when the track was clogged graced by the likes of Good Lotus, Virgin/Marussia/Manor/whoever and Hormone Rescue Team. Haas may be poo poo, but they at least have a baseline mechanical competence that keeps them within the 107% rule and averts genius moves like building a car with a fuel tank too small to finish a race.

last weekend was one of the first times I went out and about for a while and I saw a dude in a train station wearing a Caterham-Renault era quarter-zip sweatshirt. I was stunned.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Dr. Gojo Shioji posted:

Isn't everyone in F1 technically a Swiss or Monegasque citizen? Or is that just the drivers/principals?

There’s a lot of mix of (mostly) European staff, but it might impact Japanese staff (like at Honda) and specifically it sounds like it effects everyone who is working in the UK.

Unless there’s an exception for elite sports, which might be the case.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Jedit posted:

Why does Kimi Raikkonen have an Iron Cross on all his clobber?

some sort of gear/brand collaboration with Jesse James' West Coast Choppers, hence

NtotheTC posted:

lmfao, ok I gave the thread too much credit, of course there are posters still extremely angry at their dads that think being a teenage rebel at age 50 is cool.

which is kind of a dorky look with a dash of :chloe: about the politics of it.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

the corona quid posted:

Guys I’m so upset about those dinosaurs dying, who killed them off?

Mission Winnow? :v:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

https://twitter.com/F1/status/1377281279171956738?s=19

what the gently caress why would you even offer that lmao

• Danny Ric is a major Earnhardt fan
  • Zak Brown has a collection of historic cars, including that specific old Earnhardt Cup car

It’s a bit of harmless fun and likely can be a promotional moment if/when Danny Ric gets a podium with the McLaren.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

track day bro! posted:

Slightly related to F1 heres a video that features some old Japanese F1 drivers

the preview thumbnail says "an unbelievable crash that required a helicopter medivac" so uh click at your own peril.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

track day bro! posted:

Here's another good vid with some old JTCC action, man I loved this era of touring cars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daNAmnAlwa8&t=77s

they had the JACCS Accord at the Honda museum when I went last year, it was across from a row of Sato Jordans and BARs

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Low Percent Lunge posted:

I’ve eaten horse meat sashimi (deliberately).

same, OP.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

human garbage bag posted:

I'm having trouble understanding the physics of drifting and why drifting is not advantageous in F1, but is in rally. From what I understand F1 cars have a lot more grip than rally cars, and this allows them to go around corners very fast without slipping. But for some reason it ends up being slower for an F1 car to go too fast around a corner and drift. Why? Does it have something to do with aero and how the F1 cars are designed for maximum aero downforce when facing in the direction their going?

In addition to the responses above, go watch how the WRC-level cars behave on tarmac/regular roads. There is so much more grip on asphalt/tarmac than there is on dirt or snow, so in a lot of cases they aren't doing big long drifts on the tarmac rallies.

As well, the top WRC cars are four-wheel drive/all-wheel drive, which impacts how you drive fast. An interesting comparison are the old two-wheel drive Group A cars like the Peugeot 306 and Renault Maxi which were competitive with the four-wheel drive Subarus and Mitsubishis on asphalt events in the late '90s. They couldn't kick out the tail as much, but sometimes the drivers do use the handbrake to rotate the rear around tight corners.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZxtUHgHZ4M

but as for why Formula 1 or other circuit racing doesn't do it as much? The easiest answer is it will overheat the tires and cause them to wear out a lot quicker, for not as fast a route around the circuit.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Pragmatica posted:

Did this season even start yet? Why is this loving break between races so long? Ugh.

The Chinese GP was supposed to be April 11, so a quicker turnaround from Bahrain. Vietnam would have been in the April time period as well.

Also it’s real easy to get used to races every weekend when they pack 17 races into less than six months.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

ilmucche posted:

Apparently extreme e happened this weekend. The only highlights I saw were massive rollovers.

The qualifying was interesting and watchable, but the group races were tough due to the dust being kicked up.

https://youtu.be/lhkBS46gy1s

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Theophany posted:

Desert X Prix | Extreme E has some strong WWE Attitude era energy.

Team Rosberg vs Team Hamilton in an Xtreme Desert Match does sound like something that would’ve happened in a Tribute to the Troops show in like 2006.

John Cena somehow would get involved.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Tsaedje posted:

You can't use being in a Toyota in WEC/Le Mans as a measure of driver goodness. By that measure Brendon Hartley's better than Kobayashi, as is Kazuki Nakajima.

Brendon Hartley is also Real Good though.

And Kobayashi coming in for the endurance races in IMSA and being the fastest guy in one of the prototypes is more what I’d point to. I don’t know the depth of Super Formula to say how or why Kobayashi didn’t connect there. Kazuki Nakajima has won there and in Super GT, so he’s not awful either.

Yuki probably has the best chance to be an international star though. Too many of the Japanese drivers in the past came to Europe/F1 late. Sato didn’t have as much experience and was fast-tracked to F1. If Toyota had stayed in F1 through even like 2012, Kamui might have made some noise.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Theophany posted:

I love the 'Benson & Hedges' advertising on that; the absolute bare minimum of fucks being given to not overtly be a cigarette advert.

The Jordan/B&H combo led to some good terms being used in countries where they couldn’t have the real name there.

Bitten & Hisses (bonus FISSSSSSI / SSSSCHUEY on the rear wings)
Buzzin’ Hornets
Bitten Heroes
Be On Edge

We’ve lost something now with the Mission Winnows of the world.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

Look Alike on the BAR Hondas

I think later they used Look Left and Look Right on the BAR-Hondas as well, which was a nice touch.

names of the drivers on the West McLarens always felt a bit off, especially the later years when the font didn't/couldn't match.

this sounds like a kick upstairs/across from the operations to a strategic vision kind of position. if he's still happy then I'm glad. Mercedes being good is good for F1, gents.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

The F1TV app doesn't even carry the live events here, I think there are options with cable/satellite service, but I just use DAZN. That has all sessions live with decent Japanese commentary.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

learnincurve posted:

It was two weeks ago OP. Next race is Sunday.

Yep - Imola GP this Sunday. I don't think we'll have to worry as much about track limits at a circuit that still has gravel or grass right up to the edge of the circuit! :v:

in 'decidedly not F1' races, MotoGP is back in Portugal this weekend and IndyCar (including a debuting Romain Grosjean, who left F1 with a bang last year) starts up its season at Barber Motorsports Park.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

EoRaptor posted:

Canada is proper hosed for covid due to malicious negligence by conservative provincial governments. F1 in Montreal is absolutely canceled this year, no way it’ll happen.

yeah, even getting the local staff in to run the event (like the corner marshals) will be tough. There's a reason IMSA has already turfed their round at Mosport and made that a second race at Watkins Glen instead. I'm sure IndyCar will have to confirm their Toronto race is off sooner than later.

I'm not sure pushing it to the fall will work either, if only because of the setup for the circuit. same as with other street circuits, you'd need to decide that and not cancel again otherwise you're eating a lot of costs. It's not like at COTA, where there's much less setup required.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Oh yeah Canadian weather! :canada:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Hoping Mazepin spins harmlessly into the gravel on the first corner is funny, wishing him to crash and die is a bit grim even for SA, IMO. Let’s not stay in that territory, even for the Russian pay driver.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Apparently SA poster learnincurve is doing F1’s social media

https://twitter.com/f1/status/1382604281375825920

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I thought they were replacing it with Turkey?

I’m pretty sure next up as a replacement would be Turkey, yeah.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Tsaedje posted:

Yuji Ide got 4 races

and didn't have the on-track history in F2 or F3 that Mazepin has as well.

the Haas crisis of the year we absolutely deserve is Guenther getting dragged into courts because Mazepin gets his super license revoked, can't drive anymore, and dad wants his money back.

[edit] whoops Max is now stopped on track

harperdc fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Apr 16, 2021

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

MustardFacial posted:

Keep the Canadian GP.

:hmmyes: except not this year because Rona

MustardFacial posted:

Ban COTA and also whatever this Miami one is.

COTA is fine, especially now that it will be even bumpier :gritin:

MustardFacial posted:

Bring back Watkins Glen.

you'd do to the Glen what Tilke did to Fuji, and I know goons into racing all absolutely love new Fuji, right? Oh :v:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

MustardFacial posted:

You misunderstand, I'm not saying we change the Glen one iota. Keep it exactly the way it is, don't even re-pave it. Just put F1 cars on it.

I mean it’s a nice dream but it will never pass the safety inspections required for F1. Or have the garage space setup.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Theophany posted:

Max drives into walls, at least Bottas brings the car home. :toxx: Mercedes WCC 2021 :toxx: Do we have a list for this year?

quoted for posterity

Payndz posted:

Random neat Imola discovery of the day: see the circled structure? Looks like some kind of observation post for marshals or race officials, maybe?

Nope. It's a private grandstand, in somebody's garden. The house is just on the other side of an access road running alongside the track, right in line with the pit entrance, but with some trees in the way - so the owner built their own personal multi-floor covered box to watch races unobstructed.

Want to see for yourself? The house is for sale right now. A snip at just €480,000! (Oh yeah, and it has a ridiculously tall dormer window to give you a view of the grid from indoors too.)

oh I love this

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

There it is

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

Alesi was just too beautiful for F1

Which one. I think the son has washed out of the F2/F3 ladder though.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

italian quid posted:

I thought that Dune trailer was pretty good too.

lol. I'm now imagining the spice on a car blanked out like Mission Winnow Marlboro once was

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Khablam posted:

This post won't age well because you can't buy just one G-Shock.

That’s the truth, yikes.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

Ferrari did well last year, so I guess it's not a power circuit. I'd say Red Bull having sorted their aero better for the new regs have a better chance as long as Max can refrain from calling people mongols.

there's only a couple true flat-out power tracks anymore anyway (bring back the tiny Hockenheim wings you cowards!). Portimao strikes me as a standard track but maybe with a few twists due to the context of the race -- they last raced there in October, so could be very different temperatures to now; last time they also didn't have F2 or F3 running, so the track didn't have as much rubber down as well. There were complaints about track limits at the first turn. And the race didn't have real rain but had incredibly cool temperatures and early sprinkles, which mean Sainz in the McLaren could lead in the first couple laps as the Mercedes struggled to get tire temperatures up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQ8du5ysxTI

it's a fun track (the MotoGP race there last weekend was great), it's a flowing circuit, and it'll still be a challenge this coming weekend because the teams don't have enough data on it yet as well.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

where was that spotted? somebody's gone through some effort with their decal shop to figure that one out.

points deducted for not having the light bar though.

also a reminder that some course cars were apparently stolen in the UK over this winter but found a week or two later, how do you expect to steal extremely marked cars so easily :psyduck:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

net work error posted:

Nice. Sucks that we don't get the C series wagons in the US only the big E series ones otherwise I would do the same thing but with Lewis's livery.

those C wagons are really, really nice-looking. I've only been in the sedan for that generation, but one of those would definitely be nice.

shame that owning a car here requires a lot more than I have.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

learnincurve posted:

Quali on the Friday and then a sprint race on the Saturday seems a good way to pack out a 3 day race weekend and make more money. It’s just going to be annoying if you can’t watch quali live.

it sounds like they're going to try it at three race weekends that should be well attended in any case, so not the worst place to give it a shot. But yeah

Low Percent Lunge posted:

They’ll have one surprising outcome from the sprint qualifying, then two completely mundane sprint qualifying sessions then bin the whole idea like last time.

it likely won't be much of an improvement enough to justify changing everything full time.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

You Am I posted:

Surely it is time for F1 to drag out that lovely Qualifying format they tried back in 2015?

Never. Leave that one dead and buried.

They basically have the best compromise and balance with the current setup. Provides three peaks of drama for the televised hour.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Payndz posted:

They should do it for the actual race. Two mandatory red flags, and none of this rolling restart poo poo either.

Congratulations, you just invented the NASCAR stage race setup.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

ArmZ posted:

incoming: spicy hot takes from mario andretti

“I think America is probably the only country on the planet that can really properly host two Formula 1 races,” Andretti told Motorsport.com. “Quite honestly, I think F1’s fanbase in America is somewhat understated, but it needs to be perked up – and the only thing it’s really missing is an American driver."

“Mercedes sells a lot of cars here, it’s a huge market, imagine what they could do with him? It would juice up the TV ratings too. But it has to happen within a year or so, or they’ll consider him to be too old.

“He’s 21, so it’s a great time, and I realise the lack of testing and licence restrictions. But, I mean, that Russian kid [Nikita Mazepin] gets a superlicence, and the guy who’s at the very top level over here can’t get one? There’s something wrong there!”

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/mario-andretti-colton-herta-f1/6463335/

:yeshaha:

Mario Andretti stumping for Colton Herta, who drives for *checks notes*

ah.

and the last American Mario stumped this hard for getting a chance in F1 was...Marco Andretti. Hrm.

I love Mario Andretti to death but this is Jackie Stewart-levels of Rent-a-quote here.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

"the only country that can host two grands prix" you old bitch italy hosts two every year and last year they raced at fuckin imola, monza, and mugello

Except for the 13 years between the last San Marino GP and last year yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

The US is the one place where "we have a Formula 1 driver/team now" doesn't mean a whole ton to big business and advertising in that country. It's not automatically one of the highest-profile athletes the country can claim at that time. whether this is due to the U.S. being too big, or motorsports having a weird parallel history in the U.S., or some other weird American "we don't care about international stuff" quirk I can't quite say 100 percent, but it's pretty evident.