Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I think Balrogs had wings but also I think that how gravity works means those wings probably wouldn't be sufficient to allow them to actually fly, not that such things would be a big deal to Tolkien.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Pennywise the Frown posted:

This is my fireplace mantle. A map of Middle Earth, pleather LOTR books, and pipes from my grandfather and dad. I've only read everything but Return of the King which I'm in the multi-month process of reading it since I switch between books I'm reading constantly.

Don't judge me.

This is classy as hell.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Crossposting from the order of the stick thread:

Anshu posted:

Some of them, kinda. Elves can be divided into 4 rough tiers of awesomeness which correspond to how their ancestors (or they themselves, Elves being immortal) responded to the invitation to the gods' island paradise.

If an Elf said, "No, I like it here in Middle Earth," they are one of the Avari, and they are the least awesome. You have probably never heard of them, and there are very few with names.

If an Elf said, "Living on an island paradise with the gods sounds cool!" but then decided on the road that, "I think this forest here would be a pretty nice place to live, actually, and I can pass on the island paradise," they are one of the Silvan Elves. They are the second least awesome. Haldir and Tauriel were likely Silvan Elves.

If an Elf said, "Living on an island paradise with the gods sounds cool!" but then decided "Hey, our leader got himself lost somewhere and we're not going to the island paradise until we find him so he can come too" and then found out that their leader had accidentally stumbled into an enchanted forest and been entranced by the eyes of the literal angel he found there, and also that that angel was now also his wife, they are one of the Sindarin Elves. They are the second most awesome, on account of having had an angel for a queen to teach them stuff. Celeborn, Thranduil, and Legolas are Sindarin Elves.

If an Elf said, "Living on an island paradise with the gods sounds cool!" and made it all the way there, they are one of the Vanyar, Noldor, or Teleri. Later on, most of the Noldor rebelled against the gods after Satan (Sauron's old boss) manipulated them, killed their king, and stole an irreplacable three-piece set of magic glowing jewels; they then pursued Satan back to Middle Earth to wage war on him in vengeance. They are the most awesome, because they got to live in paradise being instructed by the gods and being exposed to the Light of the Trees, which made them swole like Vita-Rays to Captain America, but spiritually. Galadriel is a Noldor.

(Elrond is a special case, having mixed Noldorin, Sindarin, human, and angelic ancestry.)

So, from the point of view of an Elf who made it to Valinor and never left, the Silvan Elves would be backwoods hicks, the Sindarin Elves would be hicks but more respectable, and the returning Noldor are like the black sheep cousins who have turned over a new leaf and come home, and the Avari don't matter.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Wiki says he was born to Avari and Sindar elves so he's somewhere between the shittiest elf and middling.