Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

indigi posted:

what the gently caress scene is that

Don't you recognize Gollum when you see him?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Cease to Hope posted:

elrond wants to do this but gandalf convinces him that merry and pippin's closeness with frodo make them more valuable

Oh right, five failsons.

indigi posted:

yeah but that’s kind of my point, it’s not like he’s tracking everyone with GPS. even someone with the blood of Isildur is completely unknown to him. I can see why Gandalf using some spells in the vicinity of Mordor might ping his alarm system but as long as Glorfy doesn’t go about singing Noldor songs across the plains of Gorgoroth he should be fine. or send Elladan and Elrohir if you’re worried, nobody knows what those dorks get up to

To anyone with any kind of connection to the spirit world Glorfindel shines like a goddamn floodlight, because he's a prince of the far-gone days who has lived under the Light of the Two Trees alongside the Valar in Aman.

He's not treading lightly anywhere.

Lemniscate Blue fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jun 14, 2021

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Failsons at the start, I mean. They grew up, literally and figuratively, quite a lot and I love both their arcs.

But at the start of the story? Merry had a half-decent head in his shoulders but neither of them were anything more than candidates for Upper-Class Twit of the Year, Shire Edition.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Jazerus posted:

are we really going to avoid calling frodo a failson if pippin and merry count??

only sam is pure

Okay, six.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Arcsquad12 posted:

It's a good thing Morgoth and Ungoliant took the Helcaraxë rather than sailing. That would have been an awkward boat ride.

It was probably a pretty awkward hike, too.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Cease to Hope posted:

I will not be drawn into an argument about a prequel trilogy

The Sci-Fi Wifi › The Sci-Fi Wi-Fi Tolkien Thread: The Other Prequeldome

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Gandalf was NOT Manwë he was a maia. He was sent across the ocean as an angel to guide, aide, and defend the denizens of Middle-earth, and he was a maia to Aulë. God

He did totally cuck Celeborn though. That part is real.

Saruman was the Maia of Aulë. Olórin lived in the gardens of Lórien and liked to hang out with Nienna.

I always thought it was interesting that both Sauron and Saruman had been originally associated with Aulë, who himself had something of an ambitious nature (c.f. the creation of the Dwarves, although that turned out okay because he'd just got carried away).

Tolkien's sensibilities definitely included seeing craft and making as something that could lead one astray if left unchecked.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Alhazred posted:

All he wanted was to gently caress his cousin.

Whomst among us?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Barudak posted:

Hoping he raps

He has a couple guest verses here and there but he never recorded his own album. Shame, he was a real talented son of a bitch.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Recreate the various family trees on poster board and just point to the right name every time someone gets talked about in the text.

I pretty much had to keep flipping back to them when I read it the first time. And most of the other times too.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

keep punching joe posted:

Fatty Bolger did nothing wrong.

Wasn't he helping out Farmer Cotton and his stout lads in resisting Sharkeys thugs. Been too long since I read scouring.

Until he was imprisoned and starved, yes. Dude served hard time for the cause.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Fake Name posted:

I was listening to the Andy Serkis audio books in the car with my mother and she reminded me that we used to have a collection of tapes of the bbc dramatisation that she had taped off the radio, and it turns out someone has uploaded them all to the Internet archive. Its pretty good so far! Ian Holm is Frodo and Bill Nighy is Samwise

I got bad corneal abrasion one summer and had to spend a couple days with my eyes covered while it healed because light was excruciatingly painful. Among other things I listened to this version (on CD) to pass the time. I'm sure the next time I listen to them it will be digital rather than on disc but I still keep the boxed set out of a sense of nostalgia.

It's excellent, and people should listen to it.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Barudak posted:

I'm sorry, everyone, there are now children drawing Fingolfin vs Morgoth fanart and getting in arguments over who better drew Grond.

I don't understand why you would apologize for this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Mods plz