Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Nanigans posted:

:yeah: This was way better than the recap episode with the reporter from last season.

The reporter episode was still better than the pool episode from the season before, which was better than the literal, no gimmicks recap episode from season 2.

At this current rate, in season 13 we'll get an objectively good season opener.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

Was.

The final episode airs today in Japan.

Attack on Titan has shown us that the definition of the word "final" is up for debate.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

So umm, that was another nothing episode for me. They effectively made the last episode 2 minutes shorter by adding the One For All Vestiges as a post credits scene. And now they made this episode 2 minutes shorter by replaying the exact same footage. They're really committed to animating as little as possible, which is an anime problem that is supposed to be solved by having long breaks between seasons, instead of running continuously. Bleh.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Ah, yes. That wonderful student Vantablackdark, and his great quirk Dark.

I don't really fault them for changing that, since the inventor of Vantablack is supposedly a huge poo poo.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

FilthyImp posted:

There's Black 3.0 now!!!

These legacy Hero names keep getting lazier and lazier.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Deku would buy All Might NFTs for sure.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Every NFT sold only hurts No. 7 hero Kamui Woods all the more.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

christmas boots posted:

Robots or no, it is ridiculous that no one took a second to think about any of this before dumping him in general studies

Eraserhead for the FIVE-HUNDREDTH time to the UA school board posted:

The Entrance exam sucks!!

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Rhonne posted:

I'm pretty sure Hagakure passed by simply walking up to the robots and turning them off/ripping out their circuits. Not sure how any of the judges watching all the students would notice the invisible one though.

Infrared or thermal imaging or something. Don't think too hard.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

christmas boots posted:

Yeah, it's worth noting that Horikoshi was having some pretty big health problems during this arc in the manga. So if things seem a bit off that's probably a factor

Don't care. Death of the Author (via mushroom).

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Sankara posted:

You know what's way more heroic than fighting villains, mushroom girl? Feeding the hungry! Mushrooms are tasty and very good for you, if she can spawn them with, let's be real here, magic, she's in the wrong field!

There was a throwaway line about the mushrooms disappearing after an hour or so. What happens an hour after I've eaten a delicious mushroom ragu? Is this just bulimia without the messy part?

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Rhonne posted:

I'm pretty sure all of his friends make him charge their phones, so he can do that much at least.

It costs less than a dollar a year in electricity to charge your cell phone. The ability to charge phones is not very impressive on an industrial scale.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Should note that Honenuki is one of the recommended Students like Todoroki was.

Counterpoint: Honenuki is one of the recommended Students like Yaoyorozu was.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Hogama posted:

The losers will have their forum posts from 5 years ago read aloud to the whole school.

All Might was filled with the deepest regret as he finished page 50 of Midoriya's Omega-Verse fanfiction. He let out a long sigh while thinking to himself that stopping now wouldn't be very Plus Ultra of him. As he turned the page it felt heavy on his fingertips, heavier than the weight he shouldered as the world's symbol of peace and justice.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I haven't watched the last season's dub yet but I guess this happened in it.

https://youtu.be/EAl6WtbcVLg

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Well, I mean there's Mirko who's on the top 10, with the power of "a little stronger and faster than normal"

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Bakugo is actually the same as Shinso. Both were immediately told that their quirks are amazing and that they would make a good hero/villain.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Nephthys posted:

You can really tell the difference between the quirks Horikoshi created first vs the ones he created with some more experience. 1-B's feel a lot more thought out and unique than some of the more background 1-A guys. I think Sato's quirk in particular might be the worst in the series that's not an obvious joke one.

I believe he actually did the thing mangaka often do where he designed to many characters up front and then started assigning them to roles. A version of Mt Lady was almost Ochako.

If Class B's quirks are more over the top, I feel like it's because they don't need to be as "balanced" as Class A's.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

If he ever takes that quirk enhancing drug, he'll straight up evolve his quirk into cannibalism, won't he?

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

CuwiKhons posted:

Also remember re: Monoma copying Deku's quirk that the explanation given to everyone who doesn't know about OFA is that Deku has a strength stockpiling quirk, meaning it slowly builds up power over time and as a child, it was doing so little for him that he thought he was quirkless. So given what Monoma thinks Deku's quirk is, he has no reason to think copying it is a good idea. What's he going to do with a stockpiling quirk that starts at zero?

Don't think that's true. We as the audience know it's stockpiling power. The only time I think someone in-universe explains his power is in the season 3 recap episode, when Eraserhead describes it as "Super Power."

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

8one6 posted:

The best possible result of copying Deku's quirk is now he has the same problem Deku started the school year with and takes himself (and his limbs) out of the fight.

Only because Deku didn't even lift. I bet that current Bakugo is physically stronger than entrance exam Deku and could do at least 5% without hurting himself.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I just imagine that most of his specialized quirk training would be to improve his overall physical attributes. So he could, for example, have enough core strength stay balanced when copying Drill Fingers, or be strong enough to actually make use out of Blade Arms.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Hero Agencies are a big thing in universe. He needs to join an agency with a varied powers that would be enhanced by having multiple of.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

There is only one solution.

reject humanity, become nomu

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

How am I just now realizing that Deku isn't AFO's son, it's Monoma.

Also explains why he hates class 1-A so much.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Black Whip looked cool most of the time. There was one short sequence where it was just two poorly shaded frames flipping back and form though.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

jassa posted:

It actually makes a lot of sense, considering One For All is a mutated quirk which accumulates power and can pass itself on to others. Why wouldn't the quirks of its other users also get passed on in the process?

For me this interpretation relies too much on an abstract interpretation of "stockpiles power" when for 8 generations it was just super-strength that gets superer.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Fabricated posted:

The original quirk which is "One For All" was a useless quirk whose only known feature was being able to be passed on willingly to others- All For One forced a Power Stockpiling quirk on the original holder of One For All, and One For All rolled it up. It actually fits pretty well that One For All is basically just a quirk lint-roller that picks up the quirks of the people who held it as it gets passed on.

The thing that we don't understand right now is why the additional quirks only started to manifest in Izuku, the current holder.

Neither the quirk of "quirk passing" or "stocking power" would apparently have to power of "combining quirks." All Might says that is just something that sometimes happens when the quirk AFO moves quirks around. It seems that "quirk passing" also has the "combining quirks" secondary effect which makes some sense because quirks shared by siblings would be similar, but it isn't something that should be taken as a given.

pointlessone posted:

Does it though? We've only seen two of OFA's users up until this episode. The Original and All Might (who was quirkless). All Might doesn't seem to have experienced the Vestiges or he would have been able to warn Deku that some seriously weird poo poo was about to go down, but there's nothing that says that OFA has always manifested as just Super Strength.

Given the phrasing of the little tutorial cutscene from the previous Avatar host/user, OFA not only stockpiles, but enhances the current user's powers. Somewhere along the way, Super Strength got added to the stockpile. That may have been the only one All Might could tap into, or even knew existed.

I got to assume that All Might would have mentioned in passing that it was weird that Nana said she started Blackwhipping after she got OFA, but it never happened for him.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

If they were going to do that there wouldn't be a second match

Shinso has to fight again for the other team otherwise this battle for bragging rights between classes will be a farce.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

There are a lot of superpowers in pop culture that boil down to "telekinesis, but with confusingly specific conditions" but Double Impact is certainly up there with the weirdest.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

He can use your own heartbeat to shatter your ribs.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Sounds like the only support item he needs is gun. He should intern with Snipe.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Or imagine if he touches you on your forehead. He could activate the Dim Mak anytime he wants. Could be today, could be 20 years from now. You're already dead, you just don't know when.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

This episode was flashback hell with some lazy animation thrown in for good measure. It seems like they are completely incapable of doing 2 good episodes in a row.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I want to think that Monoma is really good and intuitive at new quirks. The control that he showed using Poltergeist to float around on those nuts was basically the same as what Yanagi did herself. And he also had ninja like reflexes at dodging Air Force, so it's not like he's not physically fit.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Transferrable skills are a thing though. A ballet dancer will pick up ballroom much quicker than a layperson. Working with the Beast quirk's superstrength could prepare him to use One For All.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

A fun dynamic that I wished they could have worked in is having two people on the same team competing amongst themselves on how many captures they could do. A Gimli Legolas thing if you would.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Oh man, this episode was really bad. The Endeavor & Kids stuff might as well have been a clip show. And in Hawks' sequence at the beginning, they sure are putting in a lot of effort to obscure characters we haven't been introduced to, even though it's clearly the people in the OP.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

After further consideration, next week's filler episode may be a good thing in a way, because it will tell a complete story in a single episode with new animation, as opposed to stretching the tiniest amount of exposition into a 30 minute clip show with no real payoff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Or what if Deku and Bakugo get their driver's licenses instead!