Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

2020 was an absolute disaster of a year with very few things to celebrate about it. However, it provided at least two wonderful gifts to fans of beloved video games from the mid-90s. The first of these was the inescapable Final Fantasy VII Remake. The other game, the one we’re going to focus on for this LP is Panzer Dragoon Remake.

You may or may not recall that I LP’d the original Panzer Dragoon for the Sega Saturn back in 2014 with Blind Sally and TravelLog. Lucky for you, if you’re familiar with that old LP, basically everything I said about original game still holds true for its remake.

If you’re not, don’t worry. This game is literally a 1:1 remake of the original just with less mid-90s video game jank, and some unneeded early-20s video game jank swapped in to make up the difference. You’re more than welcome to pass on watching the original LP, especially since it’s now a relic of my early LP career. The remake covers the exact same ground, hopefully with different jokes than I made seven years ago.

Joining me on this temporal record skip in the place of Sally and TravelLog are my good buddies Artix and FPzero.

Panzer Dragoon Remake is a ground-up remaster of the original Panzer Dragoon for the Sega Saturn. The remake was originally developed for the Nintendo Switch before finally making its way to PC in October of 2020.

The original Panzer Dragoon was a rail shooter in the vein of StarFox and Space Harrier in which you played as a young man by the name of Kyle Fluge, who encounters the deadly aftermath of a battle between two dragons and is entrusted by the dying rider of the blue dragon, Lagi, to stop the evil Dark Dragon from returning to a mysterious tower in the middle of the ocean and unleashing the apocalypse.

The game drew heavy inspiration from the novel Dune, by Frank Herbert, and the artwork of the artist Jean Giraud (aka Mśbius), specifically his graphic novel Arzach. Team Andromeda, the studio behind the original game, even commissioned Giraud to do a few pieces of artwork for the game, one of which was used as its original cover art in Japan.

Told in a minimalist style similar to Arzach, the game is very sparse on surface-level information. There’s barely 20 lines of dialog in the “story,” if it can even be called that, all of them conveyed in a fictional language that has become known as “Panzerese,” a mishmash of Ancient Greek, German, English, Japanese, Latin, and Russian designed by Yikio Futasugi. Meanwhile, similar to Dune, the game is also flush with supplementary details explaining things after the fact, most of which come from the subsequent games in the series fleshing out the events of this one after the fact. For example: play a game with yourself and count how many times I say the name “Sestren” across the whole hour-long video.

Feel free to read the previous LP on the Archive if you would like to see everything fully explained.

So that begs the question, “why remake Panzer Dragoon?” Well, that’s a question best left to the people who created the remake, Polish developer Megapixel Studio. For me, the answer is clear and that’s “to one day remake Panzer Dragoon Saga,” but that’s another matter entirely. MPS also hinted that the Panzer Dragoon Remake was just the first step on a journey with the franchise, effectually proclaiming in its press release announcing the the game that they were also going to tackle its sequel/prequel Panzer Dragoon Zwei. And lo and behold a few weeks ago as of the time of this writing, they have officially announced that Panzer Dragon Zwei Remake is currently slated for a late 2021 ...I don't fuckin' know anymore release.

No official mention of the remaining two games in the franchise, Panzer Dragoon Saga, or Panzer Dragoon Orta has been made yet, but seeing as the original Remake sold well enough to justify moving on to Zwei, and if Zwei does well also… who knows. They just need to clear the hurdle of, well, remaking the game from scratch because the source code for Saga is completely corrupted.

There is also ANOTHER Panzer Dragoon “remake” currently being developed, this one by Wildman Inc. with the explicit backing of Sega itself called Panzer Dragoon: Voyage Record. And if the V and the R in the title wasn’t a big enough hint, Voyage Record will be a VR-exclusive title described as an “omnibus” game that will cover various levels of all Saturn three games. Unlike MPS, Wildman has explicitly stated they will take a crack at remaking Panzer Dragoon Saga—but only if Voyage Record is financially successful. Which… uh… is probably going to be a huge ask, but whatever.

UPDATE: Sega has allegedly pulled the plug on Voyage Record after a bizzare incident in which Wildman Inc. CEO Haruto Watanabe was falsely reported to have died in October 2021. Watanabe was later confirmed to be very much still alive, however Voyage Record is probably very much dead.

A third remake project is also now in development, this one explicitly focused on Saga. Announced under the code name “Azel Resurrection Project”, the indie studio Black Fenrir is attempting to remake Panzer Dragoon Saga on the Unreal Engine, just like Megapixel did for the original. Though unlike Voyage Record, Azel Resurrection Project does not have the official backing of Sega behind it and very openly says on its funding Patreon that they’re going to see how far they can get before Sega C&Ds them, although they are also lobbying to get Sega onboard so they can officially call it “Panzer Dragoon Saga Remake”. Right now the only official tie to the franchise is that Saori Kobayashi is also remaking Saga’s soundtrack for Azel Resurrection Project.

So basically it’s a three two one(?)-way race to reach the holy grail, and right now no one stands a solid shot of actually getting to the goal. As remaking, or at least allowing for modern accessibility and availability of Panzer Dragoon Saga remains just that for Panzer Dragoon enthusiasts like myself—the impossible dream. Anything to render obsolete those same 5 copies of the game on eBay perpetually up for grabs at prices north of $1500 now.

This will probably be the shortest fully complete LP I’ve ever done with literally one update and two videos, one main video comprising the entire game in a single 1-hour shot, and a 28 minute bonus video showing off the various feature of the remake including the brand new Pandora’s Box added to the game.

Why didn’t I just put this in the Casual Thread then? Because I didn’t feel like it. What? Are you mad about it? Then please tell me so here in the thread because I’m legitimately curious if I can get this one to at crack 2 pages of posts or not.

Will I be tackling Zwei Remake when it comes out? I don’t know, honestly. Despite buying Zwei from a used game store back in 2014 with the aim of following up the original LP and finally plugging the hole in the PD LP catalog here on Something Awful, I never actually go around to playing it. I might rectify that with Zwei Remake, but I can’t say for certain.

A recent update to the game also gave players the choice of playing with a brand new fully remade soundtrack created by the main composer of the Panzer Dragoon franchise (and Crimson Dragon, Saori Kobayashi. The original soundtrack for the game was composed by Yoshitaka Azuma, who died in 2012. Kobayashi stressed the importance of trying to live up to Azuma’s original and iconic work when setting out to draft a remastered take on the original score, dubbed the Definitive Edition Soundtrack.

Personally speaking I’m a big fan of Kobayashi’s work and while she knocks it out of the park on a couple of tracks, overall the original Azuma version holds up a lot better, so the LP will be using that version for the main video, and the new soundtrack for the bonus vid.

The Definitive Edition Soundtrack published by Brave Wave Productions can be bought digitally on their Bandcamp page for $15 MSRP or on iTunes. Links will be provided below to YouTube versions of each song on the soundtrack if requested. (The Remake version of the track “The Tower Activates” is soundtrack-only, as the remake actually doesn’t use either version in-game. It’s only in the video because I added it in myself in post.)

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Apr 1, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Congratulations on finishing the LP, Crow. I know it was a tough one, took a lot of time and effort by all involved.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Ground fl- oh never mind.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

I'm eager to see where this LP has going to be in the present future.

If anyone has any better ideas on what tenses to use for something like this I'd love to hear it.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I was going to stagger this with several updates, but was talked out of it by Artix. Blame him.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
looking forward to the next update!

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Dr. Snark posted:

If anyone has any better ideas on what tenses to use for something like this I'd love to hear it.

You're eager to see where this LP will transpire to have gone.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

nine-gear crow posted:

I was going to stagger this with several updates, but was talked out of it by Artix. Blame him.

Don't pin this on me, you wanted to do like 7 videos and I said to break in half so it wasn't just a feature length film about an anime plane dragons.

Anfauglir
Jun 8, 2007
Went to check out the lore in the old LP and hey did you know the will of the ancients site is, er, a cryptocurrency blog now? Glad you copy/pasted a bunch of stuff into the LP because I guess the rest of it is just gone now.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Anfauglir posted:

Went to check out the lore in the old LP and hey did you know the will of the ancients site is, er, a cryptocurrency blog now? Glad you copy/pasted a bunch of stuff into the LP because I guess the rest of it is just gone now.

Yeah, Will of the Ancients went under while ago. I guess someone bought out their old domain. I should probably have baldurk scrub the LP Archive version of all the WOTA links. I don't know if it really covers the same stuff as Will of the Ancients did, but the successor site to WOTA is now Panzer Dragoon World.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Artix posted:

Don't pin this on me, you wanted to do like 7 videos and I said to break in half so it wasn't just a feature length film about an anime plane dragons.

haha, we already did that with the first video. this helps this one stand apart.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
but seriously let's keep posting at crow until he LPs the sequels

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
or gently caress it, updates White Knight Chronicles: Origins

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
the ship in the first mission still looks like a giant flying nose. music still rules!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Sally posted:

the ship in the first mission still looks like a giant flying nose. music still rules!

I’m about as conflicted about the remake soundtrack as I am the rest of the game as well. There are a lot of tracks that are really well done and can stand on their own against the original. Some are so different they’re like completely new songs, but they’re great. And others are completely different, but they suck compared to the original version.

I’m rather interested to see how Saori Kobayashi handles the remake soundtrack for Zwei as well, because Zwei also has some real bangers to it.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Sally posted:

or gently caress it, updates White Knight Chronicles: Origins

I haven't lost hope.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
um excuse me

do you just not have to follow the rules because the mods are chummy power-abusers

the rules of lets play are very clear

2. No YouTube dumps or reposts!

The point of an LP thread is, if not participation, at least discussion. It's not against the rules to have a backlog or even to record an entire playthrough in advance - just don't post it all at once.

this is corruption and I will see you all in qcs

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Oh sorry, the title is confronting the past. My mistake.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Oh sorry, the title is confronting the past. My mistake.

The really meta part about this whole thing is that it's as much about having a dialog with the original LP vs. this new one as it is the original game vs. the remake :eng101:

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

This sure as hell took me back, I was fortunate(?) enough to own a Saturn back when I was kid. I remember playing this a fair bit, as well as the first disc of Saga that came as a magazine demo disc.

I think to this day Saga is still the game I want remade more than any other, I don't think there's been an RPG since that emulated its gameplay.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Bloody Pom posted:

This sure as hell took me back, I was fortunate(?) enough to own a Saturn back when I was kid. I remember playing this a fair bit, as well as the first disc of Saga that came as a magazine demo disc.

I think to this day Saga is still the game I want remade more than any other, I don't think there's been an RPG since that emulated its gameplay.

I added this to the OP last night, but nobody reads my OPs :eng99: but a third-party indie remake of Panzer Dragoon Saga is now in full development apparently:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYE9_pYVFKM

Called the Azel Resurrection Project, more details are available on its Patreon page. Right now it's kind of a "gently caress it, we'll do it ourselves" venture, that's plugging along without any official backing from Sega with the hope that Sega won't C&D them and perhaps actually allow them to use the Panzer Dragoon license. It they actually pull it off, it'll be amazing, but we'll see.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

1) The first LP was 2014!? Holy poo poo, I was sure it was more recent than that.

2) A remake of Zwei is the first remake I've been happy to hear about in quite some time; it was my first Sega Saturn game, and I loved it to death. Mind you, like [s]many most[/i] virtually all games I played as a kid, I was garbage at it, but that's beside the point.

3) I don't have much in the way of photosensitivity, but holy poo poo episode 4 hurts!

4) Pandora's Box was in Zwei as well. You didn't even need to beat the game to unlock it, because I didn't. No, I played the first 4 stages over and over for 30 hours, and unlocked it without realizing it was even a thing. So at least I got to see the end of the game.

Dr. Snark posted:

I don't have an actual contribution, but I'll take any chance I can get to quote the phrase, "technically, we don't ever have existed here anymore, but this is hardly the time to be conjugating temporal verbs in the past-impossible-never tense."

edit: Thanks for the LP, Crow!

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I picked up a saturn and a bunch of games in the early 2000s or so, and I still have an OG panzer dragoon 1 and 2 and probably the instruction manuals for them, although it would take while to find said manuals.

I never beat any of the saturn games I bought except one or two. They really were hard games. And Nights was, for me, just bullcrap. I was never able to enter the gated levels. I'm happy to finally see the ending of Panzer Dragoon 1, at least.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Fedule posted:

You're eager to see where this LP will transpire to have gone.

This thread is a flat circle.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

nine-gear crow posted:

I added this to the OP last night, but nobody reads my OPs :eng99: but a third-party indie remake of Panzer Dragoon Saga is now in full development apparently:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYE9_pYVFKM

Called the Azel Resurrection Project, more details are available on its Patreon page. Right now it's kind of a "gently caress it, we'll do it ourselves" venture, that's plugging along without any official backing from Sega with the hope that Sega won't C&D them and perhaps actually allow them to use the Panzer Dragoon license. It they actually pull it off, it'll be amazing, but we'll see.

:popeye:

Sega seem to have a pretty good track record of not smacking down fan projects, and have even been letting other publishers pick up their IPs (SOR4 is probably the most notable one I can think of), so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for this.

If nothing else, whoever they've got working on the 3D models sure know what they're doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Let's Listen to Panzer Dragoon's OST

I am not a trained musician, but I listen to a lot of music. So I am going to listen to and just the soundtracks here. Thank you for coming to my Let's Listen in crow, FPzero, and Artix's LP! Without further ado, here's an anecdotal comparison of the soundtracks of the original and remake along with links for your own listening pleasure:

• Main Theme - Original / Remake - Listening to the original first: Excellent opening fanfare of brass here! Solid title track... very grand. Sweeping. Epic. Those wind and string segments that kick in shortly after the 1-minute mark are great. And the shift at around 3 minutes is good too. Just... all around solid title track.

Onto the remake... the opening fanfare. Also solid. I'm vibin' here. The 1-ish-minute mark wind/string segment is gone in favoure of some march-y sounding snare drums and a... bass guitar? Can't tell. I dig it but it feels very, very different from the original. More elements get layered in at 1:45 and at this point I'm not sure I'm digging it anymore. In fact... nah, I'm definitely not.

OG track is triumphant
    OG: 1; Remake: 0

• Episode 1 - OG / Remake - Oh man, this track is instantly gold. As someone who never owned a Saturn and only played the demo (which only includes the Dune level), I have zero nostalgia for Panzer Dragoon... but I'll be damned if this isn't one helluva banger. What a fantastic piece of convey the excitement and freedom of flying around a motherfucking dragon. The awesome percussion keeps this great energy going while the other instruments dance and soar, as if throughout the air. It's especially great at about 1:50 when those woodwind/brass triplets start blasting. Just gets me pumped all over again!

Off to a bad loving start, folks. A full five seconds to get to the strings? Jesus. They're good once they come in, though. They retain that wonderful sense of soaring through the sky. The percussive beat remains... but the lack of snare drums is missed. The pulsing bass in the background doesn't quite make up for it. And the triplets instead are with the bass and percussion. It all sounds a lot more muted than the original track. Less bombastic. It's interesting. I still like the core of it. The synth solo is... also interesting. I could've taken it or left it. Overall, I dig the track, but it REALLY feels like a remix. Like, this could've been an OCRemix kind of thing.

This track blends right into the boss music... so I'm going to switch gears a bit and listen to the Remake's version first. The first part (verse?) ain't nothing to write home about. The chorus gets me a bit more pumped... but I'll admit, that flute flourish that plays at around 4:25 is catches my attention. How would I describe it... like the flute is supposed to represent the rider and the dragon flittering about... and the deeper brass sound is the responding fire from the enemy ship? It's a cool touch. I dig it. I actually quite like the synth additions here. Though that said, the OG track is also hella synth sounding. It's a pretty badass track. More traditionally boss fight sounding. Lacks the interplay of the instruments in the remake, but I dig both.

However, on the strength of the levels main track (Flight) alone, I'm giving this one to the OG track too.
    OG: 2; Remake: 0

• Episode 2 - OG / Remake - Listening to the original... synth human voices is never a good sign... holy poo poo that synth bass... What the fuuuuuck. I must've tuned this out every time I played this demo at my friend's house. And when I did the original LP with crow. The intro is only a minute and then it gets into some real ambient stuff--which is solid. I can dig this. When the bass comes back in at around 2:30 it returns with some bass drum. Aaaand I'm once again less sold on the track.

Better synth technology, better opening here, I dunno. The remake's opening is far less an assault on my aural senses. The ambient section is less ambient and more orchestral... but it's not a bad change. When the bass rejoins everything it just fits together a little more neatly for me.

And like the previous track, this remake blends right into the boss track. The toms are solid. I don't the lead synth here as much as the previous track. This boss track certainly doesn't stand out in any way for me... gonna scrub the audio and move onto the OG...

drat.

This is actually pretty boss. I'm getting pumped to shoot some dragon riders in the desert.

So OG boss track is far preferable here. But I really don't care for its level track... Remake wins there... Giving the win to the Remake here. The dune worm level is pretty sweet but more fun with a solid soundtrack, imo.
    OG: 2; Remake: 1

• Episode 3 - OG / Remake - This track really feels like the rising tension track. Like, first episode was all exciting and fresh and new, what with us zooming around the sky. The desert worm level was all weird and ominous with the final reveal of the dragon rider boss. Now we're this bleak city. Stakes are being risen. But musically... I'm not really into this track. It's very effective for its level, and it certainly picks it up halfway through, but I don't think this one is much for my tastes.

Remake has some great toms for the beginning. Makes the whole rising tensions and bleak city feeling feel more... dramatic... The partway through shift is weird though. I've seen a couple of comments say that the Remake's OST is weirdly mixed and I can really hear it here. The lead instrumentation feels incredibly drowned out by the percussion. If this was a stylistic choice, I'm not really into it.

Boss track is same as the first level, as far as I can tell, so...

Guess I'll give this one to the OG for just sounding like a better mix overall. I still prefer the toms of the remake, but as a whole the OG is a better pick.
    OG: 3; Remake: 1

• Episode 4 - OG / Remake - Listening to the OG track... a better synth vocal opening. The synth bass used is pretty great. The drum too... this opening really sounds like it could've come from the opening to a John Carpenter film--which is to say, I'm really loving digging it. Buuuut as the track goes on whatever this weird lead instrument voice is it's really starting to wear out its welcome. I am grateful when it drops and we get back to the sweet John Carpenter-esque bass and drums.

Remake is slower to start and, again, muted by comparison. More subdued. It lacks that bombastic feeling. By comparison? The bass sucks. The lead is now played on some strings and it's way less annoying to my ears. It's certainly a more consistent track... But I think I'd rather take the ups and downs of the original if it means I get to keep John Carpenter bass/drums.

The boss track is... fine. This is so far the most forgettable boss track for me. Gonna boot up the OG's version... and man, it's so out there and high energy! I keep saying bombastic, but here we are. This track is simultaneously hilarious and awesome. Unlike the remake, I am getting right pumped up.

Easy win for the OG track here.
    OG: 4; Remake: 1

• Episode 5 - OG / Remake - Threw on the OG song... solid kick drum. I dig the beat. Solid track. Great bass. Great synth. I really dig the shift at the 2-minute mark. Though that all said the weird industrial pipe hit sound throughout is cheesy as all gently caress. But hey, it's a Saturn game.

The remake is... different. Again, more subdued. Muted. The mix is different, following the Remake's style. The inclusion of snares at the 2-minute mark is good. Honestly, I'm liking these both pretty equally but for different things... Gonna have to rely on boss music as the tie-breaker...

Remake boss music here is pretty solid! That industrial pipe sound is back but it sounds a lot better in the remake. Good beat overall. But then I listen to the OG version... gotta say, I'm a sucker for the synth bass. That cinches it for the original, for me.
    OG: 5; Remake 1

• Episode 6 - OG / Remake - Mmmm, this OG track sounds particularly uninspired. Too similar to previous tracks. I found myself tuning out.

Remake's mixing pays off finally. The more subdued synth/bass/drums works really well here. Let's me focus on the other instrumentation. And as there's no boss fight here, this makes it an easy decision... Remake track is better here.
    OG: 5; Remake 2

• Last Episode - OG / Remake - Ugh. This is actually kind of an unpleasant track. I guess Panzer Dragoon gets its best tracks out of the way early. It's not like most people would've unlocked the final encounter anyways...

This is actually another easy win for the Remake. Much more pleasant and engaging song here.
    OG: 5; Remake 3

Hmm, Remake got its rear end kicked early on, but bounced back with some drat solid gaps to prevent this from being too much of a rout. That said, I'm going to give the Original Soundtrack the win in this Let's Listen to the Panzer Dragoon OSTs.

Congrats, original PD OST! You remain unseated!

Sally fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Mar 30, 2021